02. Deadly Nightshade
03. Out Of This Gloomy Light
04. Swallow (Horror, Pt. I)
05. Silence Of The Womb
06. Hold This Woe
07. Under The Waves
08. The Morning Never Came
09. Solitude [Candlemass cover][2005 bonus]

Seriously, what is it in the climate, the food or the landscape that makes people from northern territories so unhappy? Is it the snow, the dark forests, the reindeers [I don't know if thre are some in Finland but anyway...] that make them grow despair as if it were a new kind of very nutritive aliment? Sorry about these uninteresting existential questions, but when I hear the first album of the Finnish Swallow The Sun, I'm really glad I live in England, where the morning sometimes comes [even if it's grey, cold and rainy].

Ok let's stick to this The Morning Never Came now. Two words come to my mind: beauty and Sadness. It may be a trifle reducing, but I think it sums up their doom/death quite well. If you want an idea, let's say that Swallow The Sun melts the profound darkness of Shape Of Despair with the beautiful wretchedness of My Dying Bride. Amusing, isn't it? Don't even expect any kind of respite through this album, they seem to enjoy hammering their pain and hatred of enjoyable feelings right into your brain until you finally give up and drown in their diseased beauty.

The pace is, of course, as slow as possible, so the songs are all rather long, in the tradition of doom/death. The music itself is made of heavy riffs, grim arpeggios and intelligently arranged pianos and keyboards that add even more sadness to the whole stuff [as if it were necessary]. The quiet beauty of the musical side is counterbalanced by the desperate screams of the vocalist M. Kotamäki [excellent by the way, he really seems on the edge of suicide], who sounds a bit like Darren of Mourning Beloveth sometimes. Of course we are in Finland, so the production reaches a level that most countries still can only dream of.

Besides, each song develops enough proper identity to avoid boredom and repetition, which is an excellent feature for so young a band. I am impressed. And it is only their first album! I wager that in a few years they'll be quoted as a reference band. Meanwhile, The Morning Never Came is a must-have for doom/death fans.

Highlights: Through Her Silvery Body, Silence Of The Womb, Hold This Woe, and all the rest as well...

Written by Deadsoulman | 02.05.2004

Staff review by
Undercraft
Rating:
I remember the first thing I did when I received this album was stare at the cover art for a while, is just awesome! The abandoned cabin in the middle of the woods, and the dark scene only lighted by a dim light coming out from the second floor of the house? creepy isn't it?
As for the music, is as creepy as the cover art, when I listen this I get the feeling that these guys recorded this Cd in that old cabin in the middle of a forgotten forest, and the light coming out is actually the rehearsal room of the band?

Read more ››
published 00.00.0000 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 254 users
27.11.2008 - 16:57
FOOCK Nam

This album fucking rule. I really like all songs. Sadly no lyrics for Out Of This Gloomy Light and Swallow, which is Horror pt.1. Very beautiful melancholic stuff.
31.07.2009 - 20:33
Rating: 9
Solstafir!

AWESOME ALBUM...it blew me away right from the start...doom metal at it's melodic best...more clean singing would have been appreciated...
06.09.2009 - 19:55
Rating: 10
lord artan

Very good album a lovet
06.11.2009 - 14:58
Rating: 10
MELANCOHOLIC

MASTERPIECE. This says it all
Stay Metal ,Stay Dark
14.11.2009 - 01:07
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Very good album. ''Hold This Woe'' and ''The Morning Never Came'' are my highlights. Althou I prefer their extra-melo sound of the subsequent albums.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.03.2010 - 00:03
whatsacow

Wow is all i could say when i listened to this. Death/doom at it's best. And apparently christian bale uses this album to chanel his batman character. I thought that was awesome.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
17.09.2011 - 03:22
Rating: 8
Evil Chip

Brilliant album, very sad and raw. Nothing to add or remove from it.
10.08.2013 - 13:41
Wes

Written by whatsacow on 17.03.2010 at 00:03

Wow is all i could say when i listened to this. Death/doom at it's best. And apparently christian bale uses this album to chanel his batman character. I thought that was awesome.

Holy shit where did you hear this? Haha, love this album!!! Actually getting into it for the first time right now, as I am a fan of New Moon and Emerald Forest.
17.10.2013 - 14:37
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I have the same questions which this review started with.
----
The Fangirl.

Hits total: 8626 | This month: 4