Metal Storm logo
Best metal Rhythm guitarist

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 28.11.2008 - 23:22
Well well. a topic for the best Rhythm guitarist in metal history. my pick is Jon Schaffer, that dude is so intricate and technical and he's got a great, crushing tone with really tight palm mutes. his acoustic songs are also really good, he almost always uses a 12-string guitar on them, and it sounds awesome. check out Iced Earth-
The Coming Curse(very intricate and inventive main riff)
Desert Rain
Melancholy(Holy Martyr)
Watching Over Me(to get an idea on how well he balances crushing tone with quiet acoustic chords)
Dante's Inferno(very technical, very difficult song to play, 16 minutes long with lots of rhythm changes and technical riffs)

and of course Demons and Wizards- Fiddler on the Green(masterpiece) and Dorian(great riffs in this one).

and please remember THIS IS A RHYTHM GUITARIST THREAD. if you don't know what that is THEN CLICK THIS LINK DO NOT SHOVE [INSERT RANDOM SHREDDER] UP MY ASS!
07.08.2010 - 14:11
MetalFist
Account deleted
James Hetfield, he's written basically every metallica song, and he sings too, that has to be worth something!
07.08.2010 - 15:36
Sangre Sani
And James is also a factory of good riffs. Just give him the guitar.
07.08.2010 - 16:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Jon Schaffer without doubt. xD
07.08.2010 - 19:46
vezzy
Stallmanite
I don't really know. Maybe Ralph Santolla or Max Cavalera.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.08.2010 - 21:01
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Guest on 07.08.2010 at 14:11

James Hetfield, he's written basically every metallica song, and he sings too, that has to be worth something!

he did NOT write every metallica song.

Written by vezzy on 07.08.2010 at 19:46

Ralph Santolla is a Lead Guitarist

for me it would have to be Dave Mustaine, Eric Peterson, or Mille Petrozza
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
08.08.2010 - 01:53
RockeRoy
I think James hetfield and Mikael akerfeldt are very good, but my favorit has to be Joe Duplantier from Gojira. He has one of the moast exciting playing styles i've heard. every aspect of metal rythm playing. Groove, brutality, technical, simple and catchy, fast, slow, diversity, originality... so on and so on.
And on top of that he sings while doing it. just like the two others i mentioned
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
03.04.2011 - 23:30
blacktooth85
Tony Iommi!! I'm surprised no one mentioned him. He pretty much was one of the creators of metal. I love Mustaine's riffs too.
28.04.2011 - 00:38
king_matt
Written by blacktooth85 on 03.04.2011 at 23:30

Tony Iommi!! I'm surprised no one mentioned him. He pretty much was one of the creators of metal. I love Mustaine's riffs too.

Isn't Tony lead guitar?
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
28.04.2011 - 00:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by king_matt on 28.04.2011 at 00:38

Isn't Tony lead guitar?

well, since Black Sabbath have only one guitarist he is both rhtythm and solo guitarist.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.04.2011 - 03:39
Chaquan
I am proud to be from Gojira's Joe Duplantier. He has an exciting style of game moast I heard one. Every aspect of the metal rhythm playing. Slot, cruelty, technology is simple, catchy, fast, slow, diversity, originality ...
20.05.2011 - 16:12
Razorback
James Hetfield
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
28.08.2011 - 08:43
Mad Mike
As pure rhythm guitarists, it's a toss up between James Hetfield and Scott Ian for me, because IMO their rhythm playing outdoes the lead playing of their respective lead guitarists (Hammett and Spitz), they're also the most talented artists within their bands.
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
28.08.2011 - 10:42
Metal_4Ever
James Hetfield without any doubt.
01.09.2011 - 02:59
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Dave Mustaine FTW. That guy is just awesome. Just listen to Rust In Peace to know why.
08.06.2012 - 18:00
Schaffer all the way.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
09.06.2012 - 02:59
DIRTYDANIII
Bill Kelliher
07.11.2012 - 19:47
FourMechALEX
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.09.2011 at 02:59

Dave Mustaine FTW. That guy is just awesome. Just listen to Rust In Peace to know why.

My thoughts exactly, he writes soooo many good riffs that just entrance the listener in a fog of crazy-headbanging-ecstatic-metal, and half the riffs could be considered lead they are so complex. It's also not just complexity for complexity's sake, it is aggressive, melodic, passionate, and Rust In Peace is a perfect example but so is Peace Sells, or Killing Is My Business, or you could even say So Far So Good So What or Countdown To Extinction. Even the newer albums have pretty mind blowing stuff thrown in there, and their 90s experiments in softer styles are fantastic themselves, the riffs on Youthanasia are innovative and so wonderfully rhythm-y. He may be the very definition of volatile but he's extremely talented.
26.01.2013 - 13:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by vezzy on 07.08.2010 at 19:46

Max Cavalera is a notoriously mediocre guitarist, and I've yet to hear him churn out songs that are as diverse or even remotely as technical and interesting as what Mustaine, Schaffer or Hetfield have done in this respect.

To be honest I can't really decide between Hetfield and Schaffer at this point. Schaffer is absolutely epic with his incredible precision and technique. However Hetfield also does lead vocals and Schaffer, whatever he might say, was influenced a lot by Jaimz.
03.02.2013 - 04:32
squidrick420

You beat me to it, he was the first thing that came to my mind actually. I love his ability to play rhythm and then switch to lead seamlessly and go back and forth between them.
21.03.2017 - 16:28
WarCell
Inthis order, in my humble opinion :

1 Andreas Kisser (Sepultura)
2 Trey Azaghthoth (Morbid Angel)
3 James Hetfield (Metallica)
4 Kerry King (Slayer)
5 Mille Petrozza (Kreator)
so many more !