Metal Storm logo
Jethro Tull

Original post

Posted by Dark Cornatus, 17.05.2006 - 09:06
Well they are just brilliant musicians that have been around for a long time now (60's). Ian Anderson is a diverse musician and extremely talented Flute player. I have seen them live, and i think if you ever have the oppurtunity, make sure you see them.
I own the albums:
Aqualung
Minstrel In The Gallery
Stormwatch
The Broadsword And The Beast
Living In The Past

What are some other great albums i am missing? I need some more
17.11.2008 - 03:55
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Stuart on 17.11.2008 at 03:42

Yeah my dad had a few of the original vinyls, the original Thick as a Brick Vinyl came with the whole newspaper giving hilarious jokes about the album concept.

For those who don't know, Thick as Brick is "supposedly" about a young boy who writes a long, vulgar poem analyzing society and a range of sexual perversions... he lives in this small english town and wins an award for his poem, but it is later taken back from him because of its vulgarity... in the original vinyl it came with the small town's local newspaper... which tells small local town news and the story of the boy... it is absolutely hilarious, but you need to read it very closely to get the jokes.

for example under the congratulations for having a baby section: there is a Mr John and Jane Mrs X (can't remember the real names) who have just had a baby.

a page later under the congratulations for getting married section: Congratulations to Mr John and Mrs Jane X on their recent marriage.

a page later under the happy birthday section: Congratulations to Mr John X on celebrating his 15th birthday.

None of this is obvious unless you read the paper carefuly, i think there was also a two page long article about a rabbit...

The song thick as a brick is over 40 minutes long and the lyrics are the small boys poem... (the small boys 19 year old girlfriend is on the cover of the paper and she is "inadvertently" exposing herself quite discreetly)

There is just so much hilarity in this package its difficult to take it all in... i don't know if the cd version comes with the newspaper, i have the 25th anniversary cd edition which did come with extras and the newspaper.

neither the town or the boy actually exist

I almost picked that up on eBay just for the newspaper lol.
Here are scans online of the entire thing: http://www.orthogonal.com.au/music/taab/index.htm
17.11.2008 - 04:00
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Introspekrieg on 17.11.2008 at 03:55

Written by Stuart on 17.11.2008 at 03:42

Yeah my dad had a few of the original vinyls, the original Thick as a Brick Vinyl came with the whole newspaper giving hilarious jokes about the album concept.

For those who don't know, Thick as Brick is "supposedly" about a young boy who writes a long, vulgar poem analyzing society and a range of sexual perversions... he lives in this small english town and wins an award for his poem, but it is later taken back from him because of its vulgarity... in the original vinyl it came with the small town's local newspaper... which tells small local town news and the story of the boy... it is absolutely hilarious, but you need to read it very closely to get the jokes.

for example under the congratulations for having a baby section: there is a Mr John and Jane Mrs X (can't remember the real names) who have just had a baby.

a page later under the congratulations for getting married section: Congratulations to Mr John and Mrs Jane X on their recent marriage.

a page later under the happy birthday section: Congratulations to Mr John X on celebrating his 15th birthday.

None of this is obvious unless you read the paper carefuly, i think there was also a two page long article about a rabbit...

The song thick as a brick is over 40 minutes long and the lyrics are the small boys poem... (the small boys 19 year old girlfriend is on the cover of the paper and she is "inadvertently" exposing herself quite discreetly)

There is just so much hilarity in this package its difficult to take it all in... i don't know if the cd version comes with the newspaper, i have the 25th anniversary cd edition which did come with extras and the newspaper.

neither the town or the boy actually exist

I almost picked that up on eBay just for the newspaper lol.
Here are scans online of the entire thing: http://www.orthogonal.com.au/music/taab/index.htm

hahaha, Mongrel dog soils actors foot!! fuck its just so random and funny

EDIT: oh yeah his name is derek small, the one that's having the baby, its not exactly as i described it, but pretty close, he's just gotten engaged to the mother but he also has an upcoming marriage with another women... and then theres another article about how he never got sick at school unlike all the other kids and his mother attributes this to the fact that the family are nature lovers who seldom wear clothes...
24.11.2008 - 23:22
benvolent

Written by Syk on 10.08.2007 at 15:27

Another note for this awfully long post - have you guys noticed how the Eagles' hit Hotel California stole the chord progression of my favourite track on Stand Up, We Used to Know

Not willing to save the Eagles, but in the name of justice I have to declare, that the Eagles and Tull were touring together, when the song 'We used to know' was written. While jamming together they somehow made a second song out of the magnificient riff. I don't remember, where I read that. Maybe in the cover to their best of 'Over the years', which includes the song?

Btw I also like their early album 'this was', which is very blues-based. Fine stuff, awesome musicians!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
22.01.2009 - 21:25
გურ
Account deleted
..Sweet Voice, Sweet songs..
20.01.2016 - 22:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I still think best and heavyer song from all repertory is Cold Winds In Valhalla
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.03.2016 - 14:41
slim pickings
Account deleted
Written by benvolent on 24.11.2008 at 23:22

Written by Syk on 10.08.2007 at 15:27

Another note for this awfully long post - have you guys noticed how the Eagles' hit Hotel California stole the chord progression of my favourite track on Stand Up, We Used to Know

Not willing to save the Eagles, but in the name of justice I have to declare, that the Eagles and Tull were touring together, when the song 'We used to know' was written. While jamming together they somehow made a second song out of the magnificient riff. I don't remember, where I read that. Maybe in the cover to their best of 'Over the years', which includes the song?

Btw I also like their early album 'this was', which is very blues-based. Fine stuff, awesome musicians!

We Used to know is from JT's 1969 album Stand Up and Hotel California was from mid 70s, so I don't know if Eagles copied JT or not, it's possible.
I also doubt they toured together when We Used to Know was written, Eagles started around 1971 as far as I know.