Metal Storm logo
Metalstorm And Personality

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 04.12.2008 - 06:58
I've met some pretty mean people on this website over the years. Some pretty ignorant ones, some pretty stupid ones, some downright rude and hurtful ones...this brings me to a question...does your character and personality change when you post on here or does it stay the same?
07.12.2008 - 06:05
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I just want to clarify that I've only met a handful of people that I described with those characteristics in my first post. I hope it's clear that I agree with all of the positive verbalisations on here...I'm really glad to see that this thread developed into what it has...anyway, continuation from the post before mine...
07.12.2008 - 10:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Dagorwen on 04.12.2008 at 18:58

Written by Guest on 04.12.2008 at 06:58

I've met some pretty mean people on this website over the years. Some pretty ignorant ones, some pretty stupid ones, some downright rude and hurtful ones...this brings me to a question...does your character and personality change when you post on here or does it stay the same?

I felt exactly the other way: I found here smart, courteous, intelligent people. Of course, there are some trolls (count me in ^^), some stupid bastards, but it's a low minority. It's perhaps because I'm myself ignorant and stupid, but I found that the discussions about bands, attitudes, serious discussions like Kosovo, Christianity, Satanism, Love etc... were very intersting, I met wise people. I think people here are more educated and intelligent than in the real world (and I don't think I live amongst rednecks ^^).
Maybe it depends of the threads you're reading

well, it's actually because you're reading exactly those threads which tend to gather up the more educated posters on metalstorm. now you can name let's say 5-6 guys who are actually very literate and know what the fuck they are talking about but for those 5-6 guys there are like 100 more users who either don't know or don't care about such topics. so i would say there is no need to be elitist, the people here are surprisingly like in real life... this ain't a jazz forum lol
08.12.2008 - 09:52
Dagorwen
Written by Valentin B on 07.12.2008 at 10:06

I felt exactly the other way: I found here smart, courteous, intelligent people. Of course, there are some trolls (count me in ^^), some stupid bastards, but it's a low minority. It's perhaps because I'm myself ignorant and stupid, but I found that the discussions about bands, attitudes, serious discussions like Kosovo, Christianity, Satanism, Love etc... were very intersting, I met wise people. I think people here are more educated and intelligent than in the real world (and I don't think I live amongst rednecks ^^).

well, it's actually because you're reading exactly those threads which tend to gather up the more educated posters on metalstorm. now you can name let's say 5-6 guys who are actually very literate and know what the fuck they are talking about but for those 5-6 guys there are like 100 more users who either don't know or don't care about such topics. so i would say there is no need to be elitist, the people here are surprisingly like in real life... this ain't a jazz forum lol

happily enough indeed... my God, a jazz forum, boooooring as hell! (but nothing comparing to a jazz-and-david-lynch forum ^^)
but it's not just in the "serious discussions" that I met courteous people, in fact the only thread were i found rude people was in "islam", it was some Emirati, but people in the Nightwish, Manowar, Rammstein, Burzum, Dimmu Borgir etc... threads are great too. And all the people posting in general "Metalstormers" threads are very polite too!
You're just great dudes!!!
*loving this forum*
26.12.2008 - 07:39
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...imo character and personality never change...i'm always the same person, i'm pretty sure of who i am and what i want...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
26.12.2008 - 11:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I agree pretty much with marcel. i think a lot of people take advantage of internet anonymity to get away with behavior that they would never even try "IRL" when there are actual consequences for their actions. some have said this is an indication of their "true" personality, but i disagree. it is no more their true personality than my true profession is s power forward for the Boston Bruins hockey club just because that is what i want to be. in either case if we were to attempt in real life what we do on the net or in our heads, the result would be the same, a metalstormer would get their ass kicked.

personally, i try to act the same. i use the same general language. if you are someone i get along with i'm a nice, friendly, and witty guy. and if you show yourself to be an idiot not worth my time, i'll be sure to let you know. maybe slightly more passive-aggressively IRL, but still the same. there is a reason "Bitter" is in my moniker.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.12.2008 - 11:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BitterCOld on 26.12.2008 at 11:08

personally, i try to act the same. i use the same general language. if you are someone i get along with i'm a nice, friendly, and witty guy. and if you show yourself to be an idiot not worth my time, i'll be sure to let you know. maybe slightly more passive-aggressively IRL, but still the same. there is a reason "Bitter" is in my moniker.

Hheh actualy in real life my language is better because you shood not type all thinks but only spelling and spell always are easyer how write

Varda - Indeed even my avatar isnt fake at real life, but I dont pretend there Im greek so much
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.12.2008 - 04:47
Talvi
A lot of people that added me here are some of the nicest people I've ever "met". Props to iaberis!
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
02.01.2009 - 15:21
TheBigRossowski

Well then, man, you need to write out 'five' and 'six' and if you could.... capitalize the word 'Fuck', lol. My avatar picture is the sum of the kind of man I am. You can ask Promonex seeing as how we've met before. Sometimes I might not talk too much, but I'm a really laid back guy.

Three quarters of the people on the internet aren't HALF of what they claim to be. I'd say I'm an authentic person.

Living the life with CDR:

----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
15.10.2010 - 16:48
Yavanna
I think that sometimes I am being a little incoherent when answering PM to people (specially when some guys tell me nasty things), I was thinking about it and realized that I may sound gruff. This happens because people in real life usually don't talk to me, so I don't know what to answer to them. Sorry
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
15.10.2010 - 17:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Quote:
this brings me to a question...does your character and personality change when you post on here or does it stay the same?

My character and personality online is identical to the one offline. The only difference is in person, Im extremely shy, self consctious, and not very chatty. Aside from that, there's no difference between my offline and online self. lol

There are definitely people that are very different online to what they are like in person. I think this is purely because of the anonyminity that the net offers, and some people act in ways online that they'd never dream of doing offline. Which Ive always thought is totally pathetic...
15.10.2010 - 18:59
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Dagorwen on 08.12.2008 at 09:52

happily enough indeed... my God, a jazz forum, boooooring as hell!

HEy !!! WOOOOOOO... did you say Jazz is boring ? Hell no please don't say such things
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.10.2010 - 19:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm a much bigger arsehole online than off. Most people probably are though. It's difficult to be as articulate in real life too, so instead I just mess around.
15.10.2010 - 19:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think I'm more rude in person. I'm generally nicer online because it's harder to detect tone and sarcasm on the internet. Plus, talking on a forum, especially one like this, is much more formal than verbally speaking.
15.10.2010 - 20:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Yavanna on 15.10.2010 at 16:48

I think that sometimes I am being a little incoherent when answering PM to people (specially when some guys tell me nasty things), I was thinking about it and realized that I may sound gruff. This happens because people in real life usually don't talk to me, so I don't know what to answer to them. Sorry

If someome tell you nasty thinks simply say to them fuck of or go to hell, and ignore, but best is dont asnver , it makes ppl more angry
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.10.2010 - 00:58
FOOCK Nam
Written by Dangerboner on 15.10.2010 at 19:47

I think I'm more rude in person. I'm generally nicer online because it's harder to detect tone and sarcasm on the internet. Plus, talking on a forum, especially one like this, is much more formal than verbally speaking.

Right further more on
20.10.2010 - 03:11
whatsacow
I dont think my quirkiness or sense of humour comes through as much... and i randomly become super uber opinionated which im not in real life

But other than that i dont think i change that much.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
20.10.2010 - 17:47
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by Guest on 15.10.2010 at 19:33

I'm a much bigger arsehole online than off. Most people probably are though. It's difficult to be as articulate in real life too, so instead I just mess around.

sounds like the general attitude, and there is noting wrong with that!!
I dunno, but I at least like to try and sound like a well educated human being most of the time.
I am for sure a bigger asshole in real life.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
21.10.2010 - 03:00
Kennoth
I don't like changing my personality online much. Well, other than that I'm much more prone to speak my mind online then I usually am. I guess I'm more willing to chat too, since the level of involvement is not really high when chatting online.

I'm mostly cold, reserved and shy in real life.

Am I an asshole online sometimes? Sure, who isn't. But I'm trying to be that way only to the persons who really deserve it, because in real life, I'm far from rude, and I absolutely detest the rude, cocky attitude.

I think that this entire thread can be summed in the following: people online act like they WANT to be, like they WANT to act in the real world. On rare occasions, people act exactly, or almost exactly as they do in reality, but since this is a place of anonymity, people usually use it to 'loosen up' so to speak. Sometimes to be someone else, an escapism of sorts. Especially if you're not content with your real life.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
21.10.2010 - 12:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Kennoth on 21.10.2010 at 03:00
I think that this entire thread can be summed in the following: people online act like they WANT to be, like they WANT to act in the real world. On rare occasions, people act exactly, or almost exactly as they do in reality, but since this is a place of anonymity, people usually use it to 'loosen up' so to speak. Sometimes to be someone else, an escapism of sorts. Especially if you're not content with your real life.

So most people want to be assholes then? I do see what you're saying though. My natural personality is fun, chatty, and bubbly. But in person, that doesn't come out, because Im very shy, self consctious, and don't say very much. So I guess you could say my natural self comes out more online than in person. So, although I am different online, its not an act, its my natural personality. There are definitely people online who put on acts though...
21.10.2010 - 12:31
Gorgon
I think the main factor here is inhibition. There are a lot of people that don't do things because they will have repercussions, they are afraid, they won't be able to get away with, they will have their shit called by someone, and so on.

So when the inhibition is removed, be it alcohol, the internet or whatever... you get to know the person for who they really are. It's a really great way to sift through the crap. I always found it very useful to see how people behave when they are pissed drunk.
21.10.2010 - 14:31
Slayer666
Written by Angelic Storm on 21.10.2010 at 12:10

So most people want to be assholes then?

I guess you can say it like that.
But no, they don't want to exactly be assholes, they want to have the power of being able to say whatever they want to someone's face and not suffer the consequences. You'll admit that there are very few people offline who can allow themselves this privilege.

As for me, I'm actually a much bigger douchebag offline than online. IRL, when someone says something that pisses me off, or is just plain stupid, I react, sometimes a lot more than I should. It got me into trouble more than a few times. Online, I just ignore that person. Also, I'm much more prone to conflicts offline than on.
21.10.2010 - 14:31
Kennoth

So most people want to be assholes then?

You'd be surprised

I do see what you're saying though. My natural personality is fun, chatty, and bubbly. But in person, that doesn't come out, because Im very shy, self consctious, and don't say very much. So I guess you could say my natural self comes out more online than in person. So, although I am different online, its not an act, its my natural personality. There are definitely people online who put on acts though...

Yeah, good point. Sometimes we show more of ourselves online than in reality...
----
*insert something deep and profound*
21.10.2010 - 15:15
vezzy
Stallmanite
In real life, I am an open-minded**, accepting*, somewhat chatty individual who insults people on impulse.

Here, I am exactly the same.

*Except for those right there.
**Depends on your definition of the word.

The horrors of anonymity.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
21.10.2010 - 15:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Slayer666 on 21.10.2010 at 14:31
I guess you can say it like that.
But no, they don't want to exactly be assholes, they want to have the power of being able to say whatever they want to someone's face and not suffer the consequences. You'll admit that there are very few people offline who can allow themselves this privilege.

Exactly, you're exactly right. You see it all the time on youtube, and on message boards. People acting all tough, throwing out insults, and lame attempts at being "funny". When Im sure most of these people if they were in the same situation offline, they wouldnt act like that to the person's face. I think there are very few internet tough guys who actually are tough in person. lol
21.10.2010 - 15:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Kennoth on 21.10.2010 at 14:31
You'd be surprised

I would not.

Yeah, good point. Sometimes we show more of ourselves online than in reality...

Yep. There's not the same inhibitions online as there is in "real life". So its easier for some people to come out of their shells online, than it is in person.
21.10.2010 - 22:10
Ragana
Rawrcat
I'm less willing to communicate with anyone online than I (usually) am IRL although I do like to express myself more on the Internet just for the sake of being able to write something... I guess.
24.10.2010 - 03:24
advent

So most people want to be assholes then? I do see what you're saying though. My natural personality is fun, chatty, and bubbly. But in person, that doesn't come out, because Im very shy, self consctious, and don't say very much. So I guess you could say my natural self comes out more online than in person. So, although I am different online, its not an act, its my natural personality. There are definitely people online who put on acts though...

I face the same problem as yours , but for somehow i guess there more acceptance online than the real life for our own personality, so it is much easy to show it , while in real life you are forced to deal with a lot of people who don't "like" you, it's hard then to really communicate , while online it much easier to find people with same interest and greater acceptance.
24.10.2010 - 03:29
advent

I don't like changing my personality online much. Well, other than that I'm much more prone to speak my mind online then I usually am. I guess I'm more willing to chat too, since the level of involvement is not really high when chatting online.

I'm mostly cold, reserved and shy in real life.

Am I an asshole online sometimes? Sure, who isn't. But I'm trying to be that way only to the persons who really deserve it, because in real life, I'm far from rude, and I absolutely detest the rude, cocky attitude.

Totally agree , i felt like i had said this words sometime ago