Devil Doll - The Girl Who Was... Death review

Reviewer:

72 users:
Band: Devil Doll
Album: The Girl Who Was... Death
Style: Progressive rock, Symphonic rock
Release date: 1989

01. The Girl Who Was... Death

Do you happen to like Progressive Rock? Or maybe Symphonic Rock? What about Gothic Rock then? Okay, I guess you probably enjoy music from horror films too? Did you answer "yes" on all four questions? Great, then here's an album for you! Or maybe I should say song? That's right. The album only has one single song. 66.06 minutes long! Isn't that the most metal thing you've ever heard? But Mr. Doctor (the artist and front man of this band) is actually cheating, I'll come back to that later.

Every note and all the lyrics of the song are written by the Doctor himself. Based on "The Prisoner", an old television series if you didn't know that. Okay, it's not that interesting really. I'm here to tell you about one of the most original, haunting and greatest albums of all time: "The Girl Who Was...Death".

After you've pressed the "Play" button you'll hear a quiet, shy and careful melody which instantly grabs your attention. No electrical instruments, just an orchestra which slowly builds up to a more majestic sound. We hear choirs in the background and more and more instruments decide to join in. There's no way you can think of anything else than an old black-and-white horror movie during this. After one of the most powerful intros ever the music breaks down and in comes Mr. Doctor. Right away you'll react to his vocal style (sprechgesang). Every note he hits, every whisper and every breath he takes will amaze you. After his vocal solo accompanied by a lonely piano comes my favourite part of the whole Devil Doll discography. I don't know how many times I've listened to that beautiful guitar melody and those lyrics can't leave my head. But that's not the end of it, we also get to hear the most amazing violin solo of all time.

The song continues this way. Some instrumental parts either with or without vocals followed by vocal solos by Mr. Doctor (but always that piano in the background). Here and there we have some tracks for the choir to sing. It may sound boring, but this is music that's impossible to describe, you have to hear it for yourself.

Oh, I almost forgot the "cheating" part. 66.06 minutes? Yeah right! After around 40 minutes it's completely silent for over 20 minutes. Just at the end we get to hear a sample from "The Prisoner". Every Iron Maiden fan will cheer when they recognise those quotes.

Give this album one chance, that's enough. At least talking out of my own experience. It was love at first note. The album may be hard to find, even impossible for some. All the Devil Doll albums were released in limited editions on small labels. Today the fan club owns all the rights to the material and they don't really release large amounts of the albums. Do I have to say it's one of my most beloved albums in my collection?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by Warman | 04.09.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 132 users
06.12.2008 - 19:38
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Jejeje... I didn't have an idea that you wrote a review about this album.

God... I still remember the first time I heard it, I just couldn't believe that it was that good and I couldn't do a thing but lying on my bed with an open mouth.

Well... I don't think I need to say how much The Doc changed my view of music and I don't give a shit of what everyone says, The Doc is a genius and he will remain as one of my favorite composers/vocalists ever.

I just have to get this album... My sis has it and I have Sacrilegium and Eliogabalus... I need the entire discography!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.01.2009 - 18:46
Rating: 5
Elio
Red Nightmare
Definitely not a 9.8 album. To me gets boring after a while and it alternates sparks of great music with many minutes of crap.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
14.05.2009 - 23:28
Slayer666

Jeeez, how large of a review can one write about a single song... No matter how long it is. Now I have to hear it! How did you get your copy of it, Warman?
15.05.2009 - 16:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Elio on 27.01.2009 at 18:46

Definitely not a 9.8 album. To me gets boring after a while and it alternates sparks of great music with many minutes of crap.

I agree with you. Eliogabalus is for me the best album. Way superior than this one. Then again, The rate is the least important thing in the review

Written by Slayer666 on 14.05.2009 at 23:28

Jeeez, how large of a review can one write about a single song... No matter how long it is. Now I have to hear it! How did you get your copy of it, Warman?

I remember how Lucky I was when I was in town and there was a summer festival. And I saw a lot of small stores that came from I don't know where. But they had 4 of the 5 cds. Amazing moment XD.
Anyway, I just know one swedish site... I don't know if it'll work for you. But here it is anyway:
http://www.tpl.se/
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.05.2009 - 00:07
Rating: 10
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Slayer666 on 14.05.2009 at 23:28

I just took a chance and searched for it at swedenrockshop.com. And there it was to my surprise!
----
18.09.2009 - 11:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I was more fascinated with "Sacrilege Of Fatal Arms", but this great album too
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.09.2009 - 12:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Ellrohir on 18.09.2009 at 11:17

I was more fascinated with "Sacrilege Of Fatal Arms", but this great album too

It's almost just as good in my opinion. "The Girl" is more horror than the other releases (and I love that), while "Sacrilege" is probably the most theatrical.
----
12.11.2009 - 12:02
Rating: 8
ylside

Great album, I juts discovered this band and I'm liking it !
14.11.2009 - 09:54
In Bone Factory

Great album, better to say great song.completely distinguished and unique.it contains all the genres I adore.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
30.11.2009 - 18:48
Fat & Sassy!

The 20 minutes of silence really irritates me... I mean, what's the point? Great song, none-the-less though.
30.11.2009 - 22:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 30.11.2009 at 18:48

The 20 minutes of silence really irritates me... I mean, what's the point? Great song, none-the-less though.

If I get the chance someday... I will slap Mr. Doctor in the back of his head and say:

"Dude... I don't give a fuck about how cool it might be to have an album with 60/6/6 as the total playing time, it's friggin pointless and the intro for the prisioner is cool so I don't want to press ">>" all the friggin time."

But yeah, I still love this band.
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.11.2009 - 22:30
Fat & Sassy!

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.11.2009 at 22:24

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 30.11.2009 at 18:48

If I get the chance someday... I will slap Mr. Doctor in the back of his head and say:

"Dude... I don't give a fuck about how cool it might be to have an album with 60/6/6 as the total playing time, it's friggin pointless and the intro for the prisioner is cool so I don't want to press ">>" all the friggin time."

But yeah, I still love this band.

I take it this guy doesn't make anymore music?
30.11.2009 - 22:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 30.11.2009 at 22:30

He's alive as far as I know... But no, I don't know nothing more than that, it has been a long time. I don't really think he will do anything more.
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.11.2009 - 22:44
Fat & Sassy!

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.11.2009 at 22:42

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 30.11.2009 at 22:30

He's alive as far as I know... But no, I don't know nothing more than that, it has been a long time. I don't really think he will do anything more.

It's a shame. He's probably out auditioning for creepy parts on Broadway.
29.01.2015 - 20:46
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
^^Actually he is not.

Sorry to pull this old topic out now, but I have been listening to Devil Doll after a long time lately.... Anyway, Mr. Doctor (Mario Panciera) still makes music, but he's not releasing it. Only for closest friends/fans. Otheriwse, he's also writing books, a few years ago his book 45 Revolutions was released (a kind of an encyclopedia of punk music) and he spoke in an interview he's writing another one, but that was some years ago and haven't heard anything from him from the media since then.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.03.2015 - 22:35
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Holy shit, this album is absolutely breathtaking!

The vocals are so... passionately Silencer-like, and the haunting keyboards... And the virtuoso violin solos backed with the slooow black metal keyboard passages... Unbelievable piece of art...

And to think the mastermind who composed this did not reveal himself to claim this music... It is as if the author of Hamlet decided to not let the world know who wrote those magnificent plays.

"Without corpses, there is no war
Without war, there is no victory"

Gentlemen, a true master's design laid before us.

Let's listen to it.

Hits total: 6620 | This month: 9