Metal Storm logo
Bloodbath - T-Shirt Controversy

Bloodbath have posted the following message on their website already a few days ago:

"We have just learned that our latest shirt design [Front, Back] has run into some controversy. Actually, It's been a bit of a rocky road from the start with this one. Back at the sketch board, some of our art direction ideas were met by hesitation and according to the designer would feel "uncomfortable to do". However, the design went through and obviously with such a fantastic piece of artwork and beautiful symbolism the t-shirt has hit home with Bloodbath's audience all over the world, but apparently a demon vomiting on Jesus on a cross, surrounded by snakes, vultures and skulls was over the line for some confused " death metal" fans. Perhaps they should ask themselves if it was really death metal they were searching for in the first place.

Here are examples of some Dr Phil approved quotes we recieved:

"Recently saw your t-shirt "Mock The Cross." It seems rather childish and immature not to mention very dangerous, to ridicule Christ. Why such disdainment for the incarnate God who died to save all mankind, even your sorry asses! If you have a problem with organized religion that's one thing. It has little to do with Christ and His life and teachings. Of course if you curse Him in apparent ignorance, then you wouldn't know the difference. Hell won't be a cool place to be. The power of the cross is foolishness to those perishing."

"I Don't care about all the satan woreshippers that are gonna flame me. But, BloodBath YOU JUST LOST A FAN. On that degrading shirt. I believe what I believe. I rather not have bands mock it. This band is done. Never again. See you on judgment day."

To top it off, we also just recieved the following message from Raw Talent, the printer of the merchandise: "I have just been informed by the owner of the company that unfortunately we will not be able to print the "mock the cross" design again for you guys. It is against the owner's moral and ethical standard for himself and also for the company. He wanted me to let you know and to send his apologies."

With that said, let's get the weak aside and the Bloodbath choir ready to mock the fucking cross again as we moved on to a new printer for our latest over the top "Iesous" shirt design. Original artwork by Alex Norman features a detailed drawing of a dead Jesus with a crown of thorns and blind eyes, bleeding crosses in the background on both sides, and his hair engulfing skulls and the Bloodbath logo. The back features a cross dripping in blood with the lyrics: "Eeso Yeshua Iesous Die By Our Rage". The design was also printed using a technique which results in the ink becoming one with the fabric, creating a soft vintage look and feel. Not a shirt to miss, grab one now!"

Source: bloodbath.biz
Band profile: Bloodbath
Posted: 10.12.2008 by Arcesse Eum

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 77   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 459 users
11.12.2008 - 03:58
Andreas666
Written by the napalm rain on 10.12.2008 at 23:30

If you are listening Bloodbath carefully you would remember the song 'Bastard son of God'... I don't know what to say to this "lost fan"... You don't even deserve to talk about Bloodbath =)

11.12.2008 - 04:10
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I like the Iesous shirt even better than the Mock the Cross one. Both are pretty badass and it's a shame that they had to stop selling it.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
11.12.2008 - 04:14
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Eh, They like most bands are just trying to get some attention. They are talented musicians, but any band that does stuff like this turns me off to them...I just see it as immature...like the kids in highschool who wear the hot topic clothing and crap just to get people to look at them...I have a lot more respect for bands who aren't out there to market themselves...there are bigger problems in the world than people not liking your t-shirt...there are bigger problems in the world than some people's dislike of religion...this elitist attitude in the metal community is really what holds this genre of music back...
11.12.2008 - 05:00
Arcesse Eum
You know, i dont mind so much that the shirt has demons vomiting on Christ, but the fact that they think the shirt is "a fantastic piece of artwork and beautiful symbolism" is beyond me.
----
As above, so below.
11.12.2008 - 06:03
lightndw
Well their lyrics ARE anti-christian so there you go.
Besides there are a bunch of other death metal bands that aren't like that
I don't know why the genre is so associated with it.
11.12.2008 - 07:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.12.2008 at 01:05

One word springs to mind when reading this and the ways of SOME Christians....

PATHETIC

Yeah I didn't think there was any mistake over Bloodbaths image or lyrical theme from the start so its not like this is surprising. The people making it seem like they became like this suddenly are either morons or people who never listened to the band in the first place. Besides, thats not nearly the most offensive shirt I've ever seen.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.12.2008 - 07:18
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
"I Don't care about all the satan woreshippers that are gonna flame me. But, BloodBath YOU JUST LOST A FAN"

im a christian myself, but i wouldnt go as far as stop being a fan... i wouldn't buy the shirt obviously, but i'll still keep rocking out with bloodbath
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
11.12.2008 - 10:05
benvolent
Anyways the shirt is more funny than offending!

Wicked demon, uuuuaaaah
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
11.12.2008 - 10:11
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Written by Metal Maiden on 10.12.2008 at 23:31

Written by DoomGuard on 10.12.2008 at 22:57

The links dont work...

Simple words, yet so much wisdom in them...

Here's a bit of a shot, can't see too much though...

http://bloodbath.biz/merchandise.php

http://bloodbath.biz/images/merchandise/detail.jpg
----
This is an outrage...
11.12.2008 - 10:15
Shankao
Written by SlaytallicA on 11.12.2008 at 01:34

If you don't like then don't buy it! It's simple as that!

This is my thought too.
11.12.2008 - 11:06
Thought.
A Dying God
That "One lost fan" bullshit is probably fake, in the sense that it's probably some Tipper Gore FCC own-fist-up-their-ass jerks who want the band to feel guilty.

...or, it really is just some dumb fuck.
In either case, I'd like to follow Jay & Silent Bob's suit and beat some heads in
----
There is no God but the one that dies with me. I have no life but the one I take with me to the grave. We come into this world alone. And we will die on our own. I live. I die. Ain Elohim.
11.12.2008 - 12:30
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
"But, BloodBath YOU JUST LOST A FAN. On that degrading shirt."
Hey, No problem, I'll take your place as a new fan!
Awesome artwork....
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
11.12.2008 - 12:53
Hamird
Lieutenant
Bloodbath always bring all beautiful t-shirts.. I like them all. Watch them on the website merchandise.. Wish I had some all of them.. But there are two problems, first I have no access to buy them, second if I wear them in public, I will have an old oak tree stick in my ass
11.12.2008 - 15:45
VPeter
Why do people make such a huge drama out of this?
11.12.2008 - 17:11
Lord TJ
Written by VPeter on 11.12.2008 at 15:45

Why do people make such a huge drama out of this?

I know right. Ok people deciding not to print it because of their own religion, I can understand.

I think Dr. Phill's response was hilarious!
"Why such disdainment for the incarnate God who died to save all mankind, even your sorry asses!"

Quote:
but apparently a demon vomiting on Jesus on a cross, surrounded by snakes, vultures and skulls was over the line for some confused " death metal" fans. Perhaps they should ask themselves if it was really death metal they were searching for in the first place.

They make it seem like they are saying that all death metal is satanic, which we all know isn't true, by far.

Damn do they throw a bitch fit, they're fucking T Shirts! If one place wont make them, another one will somewhere!
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
11.12.2008 - 17:23
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Would anyone here be upset if I wore my Demon Hunter shirt? I mean it has a picture of a demon with a bullet hole in its head.
----
(space for rent)
11.12.2008 - 17:39
Sunioj
Written by Lord TJ on 11.12.2008 at 17:11

They make it seem like they are saying that all death metal is satanic, which we all know isn't true, by far.

While that is true to some extent and there is no hard rule for DM bands to be satanic, I think most of the aesthetics and symbolism entailed by Death metal bands has some proportion of anti something. Just look at the classics... Morbid Angel, Possessed, etc. No one is surprised when a death metal band uses that kind of imagrey and anyone that is clearly has not explored the death metal genre beyond 'Opeth' (sarcasm).
11.12.2008 - 19:06
Holy_Diver
Written by K H E P E R A on 11.12.2008 at 01:31

This makes me really want that t-shirt. I can added to my collection of profane, blasphemous shirts

And that is exactly the trick here. They just wanted a publicity stunt and did it this way... Really, the whole message on the website screams "BUY OUR MERCHANDISE CAUSE IT'S EVIL!!!" and then the hatemail to confirm that. And the tshirts arent even close to the average blackmetal tshirt.
11.12.2008 - 19:42
Elegy
Damm, people are really heating up these days :p it's only a t shirt come on
11.12.2008 - 20:34
VPeter
Written by Irritable Ted on 11.12.2008 at 20:18

How would it have gone down if the T-shirt had Mohammed being vomitted on, I feel that there would probably be some burnings and riots.

now that would be awesome I would gladly buy one
11.12.2008 - 21:20
GT
Coffee!!
staff

It saddens me when Christianity is targetted again, we seem to be an easy target. How would it have gone down if the T-shirt had Mohammed being vomitted on, I feel that there would probably be some burnings and riots.

I don't think that burnings and roits would do...that happened because of some normal drawings so something like that would cause war
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
11.12.2008 - 21:55
necrovamp
Written by GT on 11.12.2008 at 21:20

It saddens me when Christianity is targetted again, we seem to be an easy target. How would it have gone down if the T-shirt had Mohammed being vomitted on, I feel that there would probably be some burnings and riots.

I don't think that burnings and roits would do...that happened because of some normal drawings so something like that would cause war

thing is they practilly do make war on you if you mock them. They held a PEACEFUL MARCH through Nottingham recently to SHOW HOE PEACEFUL AND UNVIOLENT THEY ARE yet all the males were CARRYING SWORDS even if thye were just ceremonial they shouldn't ahve been carrying them.

I do find the wording funny though,
Such artwork and symbolism, but apparently a demon vomiting on Jesus on a cross, surrounded by snakes, vultures and skulls was over the line.

As if a demon vomiting on a cross with jesus on is just harmless fun lol
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
11.12.2008 - 23:47
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by VPeter on 11.12.2008 at 20:34

How would it have gone down if the T-shirt had Mohammed being vomitted on, I feel that there would probably be some burnings and riots.

now that would be awesome I would gladly buy one

Hell yeahhhhhhh, I would give my life for that shirt!
And no, there won't be riots, There will be WWIII....
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
12.12.2008 - 03:41
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
It is just a shirt, come on! Did those fans even read the lyrics? "Bastard Son Of God", "Mock The (Fucking) Cross"?!? So, don't come with "Oh you lost a fan" jajaja.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
12.12.2008 - 06:12
a MasT
I'm a fan on Bloodbath, but way to steal a page out of the deicide/cannibal corpse handbook. Over-the-top art and media doesn't necessarily mean the music is good, come on guys you're way too talented for that.
12.12.2008 - 06:46
Newfie_Metal
Who cares.
12.12.2008 - 10:53
yourmomiskvlt
Religion is stupid.

Stupid things deserve to be mocked.

Censorship is not metal.
12.12.2008 - 19:37
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Lucas on 11.12.2008 at 00:07

Written by Raiden on 11.12.2008 at 00:04

Written by DoomGuard on 10.12.2008 at 22:57

The links dont work...

As soon as I went to bloodbath.biz and viewed the images from there, and then went back to Metal Storm and opened those images, they work. Weird.

Exactly the same thing happened for me. Tried to load them three times and they wouldn't load, but as soon as I viewed them on the official Bloodbath homepage they do load here on MS. Very strange. Perhaps they need to be saved in your cache first or something.

The bloodbath.biz site blocks third party referrers for the pictures. Meaning, the site "knows" that you clicked a link on some other site to get to the picture and then denies you access to it / redirects you somewhere else. This is quite a common practice to stop "hotlinking" and other sorts of content theft. And yeah, when you visit it through the host site it's saved in cache and in a way that also circumvents the block temporarily so you can see it through other sites as well.

About the shirt stuff, I lol'd. It gives me some weird pleasure knowing there are these incredibly stupid asses getting upset over some shirts.
13.12.2008 - 00:57
Magatouve
Account deleted
Agree with people who said it is a marketing policy. I found the shirt to be disgusting. Nothing artistic about it. There are a lot of blasphemous images in metal which has something artistic in it. But for this one: what is good about it? If you wear an inverted cross, I understand you want to make a statement against Christianity, but a demon vomiting on Christ? Why? I guess back when I was 17 or 18 I may like it.. but now I am sure not.
13.12.2008 - 01:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
This is just gay... specially the guy who said "You lost a fan" Like Bloodbath would give a shit... Like the rest of the world would give a shit.
And it's funny that the guy didn't want to be a fan just for the t-shirt but the lyrics were already talking shit about christianity so that's even worse... That people just cares when something turns graffic.

It's just a t-shirt. It's not good lookinf actually. I just don't think it's well done but I mean it in an astirtic way.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 17899 | This month: 18