Metal Storm logo
Favorite Old School Swedish Death Metal Band Between These 4

Original post

Posted by Dangerboner, 11.12.2008 - 05:23
I don't really know who to vote for. I love the first two Entombed albums, but the rest of their discography doesn't do much for me. For Dismember, I love their first album and their newest is really good, but the rest are kind of boring for me. Grave's middle era is kind of disappointing, but most of their songs are good. Unleashed is really the only long term consistently "true" old school Swedish death metal band, but they haven't released one album that tops the Entombed and Dismember debuts. I think I'll vote for Grave because they really don't have an album that I don't like from start to finish, and they have more songs that I love than Unleashed.

I didn't add bands like Therion, Carnage, Nihilist, etc. because they either haven't released enough material or enough "true" death metal material to compare to the other bands. I know that Entombed deviated from their initial sound, but still remained relevant enough to include on this poll.

I'm a little drunk right now, so don't bitch if I forgot a band. I intentionally didn't include Bloodbath (they would obviously win), Edge of Sanity (too proggy), and Hypocrisy (only the first two albums are relevant to this poll, but hmm maybe I should have used them).

Poll

Which one is your favorite?

Entombed
Dismember
Unleashed
Grave

Total votes: 111
14.08.2010 - 11:25
vezzy
Stallmanite
Dismember's first few attempts are great, always liked them over Entombed.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.08.2010 - 11:40
Perseverance
Account deleted
Dismember or Unleashed they are the only bands worth the time. I'd say Dismember because there the only band here I have anything by.
05.08.2011 - 03:54
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.11.2009 at 01:05

Entombed, definitely! I first got into them through "Clandestine", which I still consider to be their best album. But really, I love all their stuff! Have also seen them live twice.

"Like An Ever Flowing Stream" is a beast of an album though!

I voted Dismember for "Like An Ever Flowing Stream". A real beast of an album, but I AM THE REAL BEAST!
06.08.2011 - 01:05
Synth

Entombed, definitely!
06.08.2011 - 19:37
@gent_-_orange

Quote:
Written by Guest on 05.08.2011 at 03:54

I voted Dismember for "Like An Ever Flowing Stream".

Have you heard Dismembers second record? Its great IMO but not as good as the first. I also voted for Dismember... Not as influential as Entombed (who released excellent albums also) But "Like an Ever Flowing stream" is my favourite album ever... Excellent from start to finish.
06.08.2011 - 20:47
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by @gent_-_orange on 06.08.2011 at 19:37

Have you heard Dismembers second record? Its great IMO but not as good as the first. I also voted for Dismember... Not as influential as Entombed (who released excellent albums also) But "Like an Ever Flowing stream" is my favourite album ever... Excellent from start to finish.

I haven't heard the second, but Like An Ever Flowing Stream is just classic. It's a little bit noisy (Too much distortion) at times, but you can't go wrong with this perfect slab of melody infused death metal. NOT MELODIC DEATH LIKE SAID ON MS!
06.08.2011 - 20:54
@gent_-_orange

Quote:
Written by Guest on 06.08.2011 at 20:47

I haven't heard the second, but Like An Ever Flowing Stream is just classic. It's a little bit noisy (Too much distortion) at times, but you can't go wrong with this perfect slab of melody infused death metal. NOT MELODIC DEATH LIKE SAID ON MS!

I would class it as Melodic Death Metal... Its death metal with a large dose of melody.... just listen to the solos and a lot of the riffs, the thing is though this band actually remembers they are a death metal band and use melody tastefully unlike bands such as In flames or Amon Amarth who play incredibley melodic metal that is somehow classified as Death metal but isn't really Death metal... But that is an other argument for another time.

Do yourself a favour and listen to Dismembers second album. If you like the first your will like that.
06.08.2011 - 20:58
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by @gent_-_orange on 06.08.2011 at 20:54

Written by Guest on 06.08.2011 at 20:47

I would class it as Melodic Death Metal... Its death metal with a large dose of melody.... just listen to the solos and a lot of the riffs, the thing is though this band actually remembers they are a death metal band and use melody tastefully unlike bands such as In flames or Amon Amarth who play incredibley melodic metal that is somehow classified as Death metal but isn't really Death metal... But that is an other argument for another time.

Do yourself a favour and listen to Dismembers second album. If you like the first your will like that.

I agree. Maybe we should begin to label AA and In Flames as Death Melodic metal, the same way Opeth is labeled Death Progressive. On the other hand, Death is a Progressive Death metal band. There's a big difference. Always the second mentioned genre is the base, the first is a genre that we infuse some elements from in the second genre.
I'll give Dismember's second a listen someday. Promise
07.08.2011 - 05:54
Misfit74

Dismember and it's not even close, IMO.
08.08.2011 - 07:21
Void Eater
Account deleted
Grave basically became worthless after their first album, and Entombed's 'Death n' Roll' style is just flat out boring. Unleashed has been consistent, but never made an amazing album. Dismember has had a fairly consistent career quality wise, and wrote the legendary 'Like An Everflowing Stream', which is my favorite Swedish death metal album. Dismember for me.
12.01.2012 - 07:52
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
Entombed rules! Among the newer acts, Aeon is the best!
10.04.2012 - 11:01
Infernal Eternal

Entombed are very infuential and Unleashed are pretty good too.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter