03. The Pathless Path To The Knowable Unknown
04. There The Sun Never Shines
05. Veil Of Maya
06. Ageless Consciousness, I Am
07. Meditations On The Mahavakya
08. Aham Brahmasmi
09. Shivoham
10. In The Fourth Quarter: Turiya

I've been awaiting this record for a while now, I was eager to hear the evolution of one of the most underrated bands of the worldwide Metal scene. In case you don't know the band in question, let me introduce you to the first and only Vedic Metal band of the globe, Rudra.

Hailing from Singapore, the band exceptionally mixes a raw mix of Black and Thrash Metal with Folk influences from their motherland. I remember hearing (and reviewing) their previous album "Kurukshetra" while the album was top notch musically and lyrically, the music lacked the folk element in order to capture the listener into their vibe. Well, this time they really did it; they managed to entwine the aggression of their music with beautiful passages such as chants and tribal percussion, the result? An exceptional well crafted album that definitively deserves attention.

Exotic yet aggressive, that is the best way to define Rudra's music, songs like the opener "Twilight Of Duality" will knock you out of your chair or wherever you're sitting on. "Ananya Chaitanya" is a song that despite of its aggressiveness manages to squeeze in acoustic passages with some clean chants. One of the most captivating songs is "The Pathless Path To The Knowable Unknown" the song begins with a catchy riff and Hindu chants, only to unleash some aggression later on.

"Where The Sun Never Shines" is one of the best-made songs I've heard in a while, and not because its complexity or lack of it, is just the way it flows, there's a counter between the rapid drumming and the mesmerizing female chanting later on the song.
Don't forget to check out the amazing percussion on "Ageless Consciousness, I Am" or the enchanting "Shivoham" female vocals with tribal percussion, a deserved break after all the blast beats.

As I said at the beginning of the review, Rudra is still one of the most underrated bands in the scene, and if outfits like Melechesh and Orphaned Land are getting the attention they deserve, why not Rudra? A must listen for anyone who wants something different on their daily menu.

Written by Undercraft | 03.08.2005

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 54 users
14.12.2008 - 23:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Now, this album turns out much better than ''Kurukshetra'', the atmosphere is back, the hindu chants, and plus, its heavier than ever. Its hard to overcome The Aryan Crusade, but with this work i am having great expetations for the new album in 2009.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
20.12.2011 - 07:30
Rating: 9
Haiwaan Das

Great Album, Great Review. You guys should check out their releases. Awesome work.
----
Gr Gr Gr Gr Gr

Hits total: 3852 | This month: 3