Metal Storm logo
Operatika

15.12.2008 - 09:36
Jason W.
Razorbliss
One of my favorite CDs of 2008 has to be Operatika's debut album, "The Calling." I'd been awaiting their debut album for quite some time after seeing them awhile back after they'd been a local opener, and it was really worth the wait.

Operatika is a symphonic power metal band, with a neoclassical touch. What really sets the band apart is guitarist Bill Visser, who has a style rarely found in this genre, and plays it with ease. He's a bit over-indulgent at times with some parts, but this is not a complaint by any means; instead it feels like he's letting us know of his potential for future releases.

The band features lots of synth melodies, and operatic female vocals as well from entertaining frontwoman Slava Popova. Now I know this seems like a typical band that we hear of, but first off, they hail from the US, which is a plus for me, as I so often wonder when a great band who can play this style will emerge from nearby me. And also, this isn't a band attempting to be commercial or soft sounding with filler ballads - instead it's all power, from start to finish! It is a debut of course, so some of the songs get a bit similar at times, but Operatika is a band I'm very enthusiastic about and recommend to anyone who is a fan of the symphonic metal style and operatic vocals, but wishes there was something new to come to the style!

Their myspace page can be found HERE

This is the cover art to their debut:
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
15.12.2008 - 21:26
GT
Coffee!!
Knowing your taste in symphonic metal this is a must try for me. I'll check it out as soon as my exams are over and I have some moments to spare.

Great cover btw
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
12.03.2009 - 16:31
GT
Coffee!!
Finally had the time to listen to this. I checked the songs on their MySpace. It sounds pretty sweet. Great symphonic power
----

12.03.2009 - 18:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
First time i heard one song on youtube and i found it perfect...later i listened to whole one album and wasnt so impressed that time...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.03.2009 - 12:52
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
I hope they're not the same as Visions Of Atlantis, becase I get bored when I listen to them.
13.03.2009 - 13:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hey! i love Visions Of Atlantis!
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.03.2009 - 14:35
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Guest on 13.03.2009 at 12:52

I hope they're not the same as Visions Of Atlantis, becase I get bored when I listen to them.

Just to let you know, they are not like Visions Of Atlantis, particularly when it comes to the guitarwork. Whether or not you will enjoy Operatika, I have no idea, but they are quite different I feel.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
13.03.2009 - 15:16
GT
Coffee!!

I would say that they're a bit heavier than VOA even though I'm not that familiar with VOA and doesn't really like the stuff that I've heard that much. Anyway I would say go for it. It doesn't hurt to try it
----

13.03.2009 - 22:03
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
Written by Jason W. on 13.03.2009 at 14:35

Just to let you know, they are not like Visions Of Atlantis, particularly when it comes to the guitarwork. Whether or not you will enjoy Operatika, I have no idea, but they are quite different I feel.

Okay I will try it.
23.03.2009 - 17:29
Dominus
The Shooter
I like much The Calling. It is an album very good and a band to consider in the future.
28.03.2009 - 17:23
replica of me

I was a bit dissapointed with this release. It's not bad, well in fact it is really good, but after their first EP I was expecting something more. And I am suprised that they did not include the title song from there on their debut album.
19.08.2009 - 22:05
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by replica of me on 28.03.2009 at 17:23

I was a bit dissapointed with this release. It's not bad, well in fact it is really good, but after their first EP I was expecting something more. And I am suprised that they did not include the title song from there on their debut album.

Well, I guess I missed this post I really didn't miss the inclusion of the demo EP's title track in "The Calling." I think it's because I feel it was a smart decision to leave it exclusively on the EP in the sense that it's the song that directly sounds like a derivative of Nightwish. I enjoy the track for sure, but whenever I'd listened to the demo, I really looked forward to hearing "Gladiator" because it had more of a personal touch to it.
----
23.08.2009 - 00:25
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Listening to "The Calling" right now and thanks for the rec. It's been a while that I've found a Symphonic Power Metal album which I haven't heard of sounds interesting. For quite some time now I thought I don't like the genre any more lol
----
loves 小巫
29.09.2014 - 03:52
Jordan_Heliosaga

Written by Ag Fox on 23.08.2009 at 00:25

Listening to "The Calling" right now and thanks for the rec. It's been a while that I've found a Symphonic Power Metal album which I haven't heard of sounds interesting. For quite some time now I thought I don't like the genre any more lol

Operatika is hit and miss with me. While I appreciate the talent it takes to play guitar like Bill Visser, very few bands hold my attention with guitar "wankery" as it is sometimes called. No disrespect to Operatika, that's just my personal taste. That being said, I think they would be a fun band to see live. Given the chance, I would love to tour with them. On a separate note, I think it was cool that they got Mike Lepond from Symphony X to record with them for "Haunting the Night".

Ag Fox, you said that it's been a while since you found a Symphonic Power Metal album that sounded interesting to you. I'm not sure if you will like the style or not, but you might be interested in Heliosaga. Check us out!

We released our debut album "Towers in the Distance" on August 22nd, 2014. You can stream the album for free on Spotify and Xbox Music. If you like it, buy the digital tracks or physical album at our website www.heliosaga.com.

We have a lyric and music video out on YouTube.

----
Like female-fronted power metal? Check out Heliosaga.
heliosaga.com
https://www.facebook.com/Heliosaga
Metal Storm review: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=12934
21.11.2014 - 12:00
xiaosson

I haven't heard of sounds interesting. FIFA 15 Coins For quite some time now I thought I don't like the genre any more lol
21.11.2014 - 12:23
Ganondox

Some of the best guitarwork I've heard in symphonic metal. Me likey.
03.12.2014 - 17:13
triciadellgrime

I love it
----
http:/www.sadclassicalmusic.com/