Metal Storm logo
Your Metal Budget

Original post

Posted by TheBigRossowski, 19.12.2008 - 13:56
This is a topic I've been thinking about for sometime now. We all know THAT guy who has thousands of CDs, Vinyl's, Cassette tapes, he's been to EVERY concert imaginable, from Manowar to AntaeuS (when they played live)...and yet THAT guy is 17. Sometimes we're all a bit skeptical and thinking exactly 'WTF?!?!'. On the other hand, some people have devoted everything they have to metal.

Lately, I've had to budget what I do because there is too much going on and not enough money for all of these great things. New albums, collecting old classic albums, concerts, etc.

I now have to make plans to see what I can afford to do and what I've got to give up. I'm certain that most people of this forum can relate to this problem. My question is, what do you do to budget? Do you even budget at all, or do you spend ALL your money on CDs? (Thats what I used to do )

-One (MAYBE two) concerts a month
-Maybe one album a month if I'm lucky! The last album I remember buying was Darkthrone's new album in October! Now I see that as a kind of waste of money. There were plenty of BETTER releases.
-Keep in mind, I'm married...budget is extremely tightened.
05.07.2012 - 17:02
axelx666

My budget is called YOUTUBE where everything is free lol, that's where i watch concerts,interviews,FULL ALBUMS; songs,etc

that and pandora.

so to answer your question $0.00 is my metal budget.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
05.07.2012 - 17:46
Warman
Erotic Stains
Oh yeah, youtube concerts are exactly the same thing as going to one. How come I never thought about that? And who spends money on interviews?

Anyways, since my last post three years ago I've sort of become an adult (as I said, sort of), living on my own, having to pay for everything myself. I definetly buy less CD:s than before but attend just as many concerts. Mostly because they're like priority one, after rent and food. So priority three then. But I don't know how many times I'm out of money just because I had to see that band, wondering what the hell to do now. I mean, it's like this:
We start off a year with winter. Winter often means big arena bands announce a concert during the summer. Okay, so there goes a lot of money to expensive arena concerts and maybe a festival.
Spring is somewhat calm, you attend shows with tickets you bought in winter. And bands rarely tour during the spring, it's like they take a vacation before the festival summer. So it's all good. But now and then another big arena band suddenly announces shows in your country. Damn it all to hell, you really can't afford this because you didn't expect Maiden or Metallica or whatever to show up. So you spend your very last money on that.
Then we have the killer: summer. First of all, you spend a lot of money during a festival or maybe a trip with hotels and booze and everything to a town far away because Metallica just refused to play in your capital where you actually live and prefered the country's second biggest city. So yeah, there goes a lot of money. But that's not all. Because autumn is coming and that is when every great not-so-big band goes on tour and already in june there's like 6-7 concerts you need a ticket for this autumn.
And there we have autumn, you already have your tickets to all great shows at the smaller venues and everything's great. But no, then all the rest of your favourite bands, which you didn't see during the fall, decides to go on winter tours and you have to spend everything you have. Yet again.
And so it goes over and over and over and over and over and over...
----
08.07.2012 - 06:16
tommyli15

Tickets in my area are usually pretty cheap, $10-20 ish, unless its maiden or something. like everywhere else, band shirts are where ur wallet gets raped, so i generally avoid those. CDs go to $20 max, which isnt bad. Per year, i generally only spend $500-600, unless of course im going to a festival or something
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
08.07.2012 - 15:57
Thrashette

Written by tommyli15 on 08.07.2012 at 06:16

Tickets in my area are usually pretty cheap, $10-20 ish, unless its maiden or something

I just checked your profile to see where you're from and I see you're also in the Toronto area (and going to some of the same shows I'm going to!). The only times I've ever paid only $10-20 for a ticket were at a smaller local shows... For bands that a significant amount of people have heard of, it's usually $20+ depending on the venue and band...
08.07.2012 - 17:55
tommyli15

Written by tommyli15 on 08.07.2012 at 06:16

I just checked your profile to see where you're from and I see you're also in the Toronto area (and going to some of the same shows I'm going to!). The only times I've ever paid only $10-20 for a ticket were at a smaller local shows... For bands that a significant amount of people have heard of, it's usually $20+ depending on the venue and band...

Hey, its cool to meet another torontonian! I dont think ive ever spent over $15 on a local show, and as for the bigger bands, ive seen tickets range from $15-$25, once again excluding bands like the big 4.
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
09.07.2012 - 02:33
Thrashette

Written by tommyli15 on 08.07.2012 at 17:55

Hey, its cool to meet another torontonian! I dont think ive ever spent over $15 on a local show, and as for the bigger bands, ive seen tickets range from $15-$25, once again excluding bands like the big 4.

Hehe, I'm not actually a torontonian but I live close (Oakville) and am there a lot for school, concerts, raves, shopping, and chilling with friends...
Maybe I've just managed to keep picking expensive shows? I just became a regular concert goer this summer and the typical price of tickets seems more like $20-35 for me... But yea, I've never paid more than $15 to see local bands either
29.12.2014 - 14:31
Infernal Eternal

Well, I generally attend only a few shows because bands like Bolt Thrower rarely tour Greece. Ticket prices range from 1 euro (Convixion - yeah!) to 32 (Iced Earth - pretty famous here). I attend 1 show per month. As far as albums are concerned, prices range from 3 to 18 euros, excluding special editions, of course. Same here 1 per month. I hardly buy any merch, except from tour t-shirts and a couple of hoodies.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
29.12.2014 - 16:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Infernal Eternal on 29.12.2014 at 14:31

Well, I generally attend only a few shows because bands like Bolt Thrower rarely tour Greece. Ticket prices range from 1 euro (Convixion - yeah!) to 32 (Iced Earth - pretty famous here). I atten 1 show per month. As far as albums are concerned, prices range from 3 to 18 euros, excluding special editions, of course. Same here 1 per month. I hardly buy any merch, except from tour t-shirts and a couple of hoodies.

in paok city or capital city are OK whit gigs but in lebsos, Rodod, Kerkyra , Xania what so ever can be fucked up well Larisa, Giannina, Pireus where are close to Atenas and Salonika are OK; but I think even here from the North get to good gick is easier as there if you live in a island

same here I have seen few gigs
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.12.2014 - 20:28
Infernal Eternal

Written by Bad English on 29.12.2014 at 16:27

Written by Infernal Eternal on 29.12.2014 at 14:31

Well, I generally attend only a few shows because bands like Bolt Thrower rarely tour Greece. Ticket prices range from 1 euro (Convixion - yeah!) to 32 (Iced Earth - pretty famous here). I atten 1 show per month. As far as albums are concerned, prices range from 3 to 18 euros, excluding special editions, of course. Same here 1 per month. I hardly buy any merch, except from tour t-shirts and a couple of hoodies.

in paok city or capital city are OK whit gigs but in lebsos, Rodod, Kerkyra , Xania what so ever can be fucked up well Larisa, Giannina, Pireus where are close to Atenas and Salonika are OK; but I think even here from the North get to good gick is easier as there if you live in a island

same here I have seen few gigs

I won't comment on "capital city". I guess you noticed my avatar. Prices are the same. I agree, it's hard to attend a gig if you live in an island. And we got plenty of them...
----
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
29.12.2014 - 21:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Infernal Eternal on 29.12.2014 at 20:28

I won't comment on "capital city". I guess you noticed my avatar. Prices are the same. I agree, it's hard to attend a gig if you live in an island. And we got plenty of them...

you're thyra 7 , and your visit to capital city is in another case when there is 13 and 21
Its true, not easy in Swe, places where fests are there are no direct plans and buses, I need changes, all so expensive so I attend local ones
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.12.2014 - 21:36
Infernal Eternal

Written by Bad English on 29.12.2014 at 21:31

Written by Infernal Eternal on 29.12.2014 at 20:28

you're thyra 7 , and your visit to capital city is in another case when there is 13 and 21
Its true, not easy in Swe, places where fests are there are no direct plans and buses, I need changes, all so expensive so I attend local ones

Oh, ok, I actually live in Athens, though!
----
01.01.2015 - 02:02
Ganondox

I budget $15 a month for bandcamp, though usually I spend far less than that. iTunes is tricker. Don't need to budget myself for anything else as I don't buy it too much to be a problem.