Poll

Kevin Moore
Jordan Rudess
Derick Sherinian

Total votes: 17
20.12.2008 - 03:15
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Who do you prefer as Dream Theater's keyboardist? That is to say, which one is the best, in your opinion? You can base this not only on technical skill, but also on acreditation to albums, as well as just reasons that have provided good memories for you. Basically, any reason is okay, as long as you say why.

For me, I would have to say Rudess. Firstly, he Played on both of my favorite DT albums, Scenes from a Memory and Train of Thought (yeah yeah yeah, "Images and words is the best!" Well, not in my opinion lol) Secondly, I would say that, on a technical level, he is waaaay better than any keyboardist DT's ever had. He went to Juliard at the age of nine, so.....
But yeah, that's my reason for voting. Cast your votes and share with others why you made your decision.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
20.12.2008 - 03:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I voted for Kevin Moore because i like only firts 2 albums from band, so ''When Dream and Day Unite'' and '' Images & Words'' cant stand other albums, those are boring like hell, same keyboard parts, only in those 2 albums, I enjoy keybords and othe rintsruments, so thets why I choose Kevin Moore
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.12.2008 - 00:19
Hamird
Lieutenant
I like Jordan Rudess, he's a genius keyboardist.. He adds very good effects to the music. And also I like his style of playing.. Specially in Live in Budokan; however I don't like that new portable keyboard..
22.12.2008 - 00:27
Warman
Erotic Stains
Rudess is maybe the most talented but what Moore created, with both techical skills and passion, on his albums has no other keyboard player ever been able to top! Also, his own compositions "Wait for Sleep" and "Space-Dye Vest" are some of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
----
22.12.2008 - 08:49
Eeric
Account deleted
Kevin Moore because I don't like how they have almost make a god from that Rudess and his solos. if keyboard have to sound like guitar, then get second guitarist.
23.12.2008 - 01:57
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 22.12.2008 at 08:49

Kevin Moore because I don't like how they have almost make a god from that Rudess and his solos. if keyboard have to sound like guitar, then get second guitarist.

Hey, for some people guitar-key tradeoffs work. Besides, Rudess produces a more wide range of sounds than just guitar....
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
23.12.2008 - 01:59
Warman
Erotic Stains
Isn't Rudess the most skilled in the band according to the other members?
----
23.12.2008 - 04:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
He is yes but I find that a lot of what he does is worn out now because he uses a lot of the same tones and scales/modes over and over...Kevin Moore had some flexibility here and there and liked to experiment...so does Rudess but sometimes it seems forced and mechanical...he hides behind all his fancy equipment and Moore didn't need that...that's why Moore is my favorite...Derek Sheridian came across as a very stuck up pretensious 'look at me I'm so awesome' musician...so I never liked him...he also seemed very mechanical when he did solos and even when he emoted...
23.12.2008 - 06:31
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 23.12.2008 at 04:01

Derek Sheridian came across as a very stuck up pretensious 'look at me I'm so awesome' musician...

That was all an act. His whole Nicky Lemons character was the "pop star" of Dream Theater. Derek would put shag carpeting under his set and lava lamps all around. During solos he would stop, have a roadie run out, take the sunglasses off Derek's head, clean them then put them back on. I always thought Derek was the funniest member of the band.
----
(space for rent)
02.01.2009 - 17:48
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I voted for Jordan Rudess because he plays in my favourite Dream Theater album Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
02.01.2009 - 20:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Kevin Moore for me. I'm not even questioning their abilities to play, Overall, I think Moore was a better songwriter, at least what he brought to DT had a bigger impact on their music. All of them seem focused and technically on the right spot. As impressive as Rudess can be, I don't think his contribution excelled Moore's.

I guess it's also a question of personal affinity with the albums he participated on.

I'm pretty happy with Rudess' work, I think he evolved a lot since he joined the band and I hope he can continue to inspire DT's music.

As for Sheridan, obviously he wasn't the right man for the job and that's why they replaced him. It's not about his style, I just don't think he added anything to DT.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.09.2012 - 06:21
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I personally think Kevin Moore was the best out of all the keyboardists. While he did have his moments of "show-off", he focused a lot on atmosphere and the ability to envelope you into a Dream Theater composition more than the other two. Also the only Dream Theater albums i really return to regularly are Images and Words and Awake, both of which Kevin Moore was on. That must mean something, considering he helped write much of those two albums. He is definitely a big part in what made Dream Theater so enjoyable for me.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).