Metal Storm logo
Rhapsody Of Fire

Original post

Posted by , 05.07.2006 - 19:28

Rhapsody...one of the cheesiest bands ever, hmm...maybe one of the best...each and every one of their albums contains epic choral arrangements, soaring vocals, mindblowing instrumentation, and of course, the quality that defines the band...the orchestra...unlike some bands, who have an orchestra just to hide the horrid quality of their music, Rhapsody uses it in a way to make you want to slay orcs and dragons, lol...yes I know...nowadays, the method of combining orchestras and choruses to power metal is almost standard...however, Rhapsody was one of the first to use it, and use it to its full potential...anyways, the orchestra rocks...makes it more epic...Rhapsody has been one of the biggest and most influential epic metal bands ever...climactic, epic songs full of adventure...and now, actor Christopher Lee (who plays Saruman in the Lord of the Rings movies) does most of the narrations for their albums...I find it really captivating, and exciting (and cheesy)...much neoclassical stylings on the guitar, and some absolutely crushing lines...of course, most of the songs go at 100 miles per hour, with doublebass and palm muted chords apounding, and the synths laying down a barrage of notes...as usual...however, they do have some great ballads...it doesnt matter...highly recommended (at least by me)...Rhapsody is one of the most unique bands of the power metal scene...so...welcome brother, to the world of power metal...a dangerous land filled with dragons, steel, magic, orcs, demons, wizards, and lots of cheese...power metal has some of the highest levels of cheese in any sort of music, but anyways...I think its great...and you should also check Luca Turilli's side project.

Fabio Lione (vocals)
Luca Turilli (guitar)
Alex Staropoli (keyboards)
Patrice Guers (bass)
Alex Holzwarth (drums)

if you dont know anything about Rhapsody, well, this video speaks for itself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEMeBTmiX4g Unholy Warcry

hail mighty Rhapsody
26.02.2010 - 13:10
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Isnt that more likely the matter of the label and it's (obviously commercial) strategy? or can bands dictate their release dates?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.02.2010 - 13:55
Lord_Regnier

Written by Ellrohir on 26.02.2010 at 13:10

Isnt that more likely the matter of the label and it's (obviously commercial) strategy? or can bands dictate their release dates?

It can be due to the fact PM bands generally are on bigger (and I would say, more greedy) labels like Nuclear Blast than more extreme bands, yes. But the result is the same: you get a gazillion versions of the same album because those labels milk the customer as much as they can.
When I like a band, I prefer if they're on a small label.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
04.03.2010 - 14:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well i will wait until end of April, because there are rumors about postponing it to this date...but then...
----

13.03.2010 - 02:52
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
Here are my all-time Top 10 european / melodic / neoclassical power metal albums - including Rhapsody's Legendary Tales + Symphony Of Enchanted Lands => http://metalstorm.ee/users/list.php?list_id=83 - with a little description to each one.

OFF: I have a band called Mandara and I'm the keyboard player. Our style is very similar to these bands but I think it's unique at the same time. We are still recording our first 2 demos - planned to be released around May & August. The 1st one called "Meadow Of Dreams" contains 4 songs - Endless Night Momentary Dawn, Embrace My Dream, Hypocrite Reality and Holy Prophecy. I'll upload some stuff to myspace when we are ready - I hope you will enjoy my/our music!
Sorry for the adv!
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
18.08.2010 - 16:47
Wishmaster
Account deleted
Have you heard of Ancient Bards? They have a style very similar to Rhapsody Of Fire, but only with a female vocalist.
30.09.2010 - 11:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 18.08.2010 at 16:47

Have you heard of Ancient Bards?

no, but i would like to improve my knowledge
----

30.09.2010 - 14:02
RavenKing

Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2010 at 11:51

Ancient Bards is a total rip-off of old Rhapsody, just with a female vocalist instead. Even the lyrics are copied on the Emerald Sword saga. Everything about the band screams old Rhapsody. It can be enjoyable if you like the style but it deserves less than zero in the originality department.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
30.09.2010 - 14:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
So it is regular tribute band?
----

01.10.2010 - 04:59
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 30.09.2010 at 14:02

Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2010 at 11:51

Ancient Bards is a total rip-off of old Rhapsody, just with a female vocalist instead. Even the lyrics are copied on the Emerald Sword saga. Everything about the band screams old Rhapsody. It can be enjoyable if you like the style but it deserves less than zero in the originality department.

Yes, they are. But, they are enjoyable.
01.10.2010 - 05:06
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2010 at 14:35

So it is regular tribute band?

No, it is not a regular tribute band.

Taken from their site:

Some say ANCIENT BARDS are somehow like "more sophisticated" RHAPSODY - that wouldn't do the sextet justice. ANCIENT BARDS are definitely versatile enough to deliver their musical visions without merely being copycats.

Oh well, check these songs out:

Pretty damn enjoyable.
01.10.2010 - 09:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 01.10.2010 at 05:06

Oh well, check these songs out:

ok, sounds good enough for me
----

01.10.2010 - 12:16
Iron man512

Ancient Bards is a total rip-off of old Rhapsody, just with a female vocalist instead. Even the lyrics are copied on the Emerald Sword saga.,,,

nse tips
nse market
01.10.2010 - 16:01
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Do i have deja vu, or did you just copied what RavenKing already said?
----

16.11.2010 - 23:14
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
Setlist of the new tour:

01. Dar-Kunor
02. Triumph Or Agony
03. Knightrider Of Doom
04. The Village Of Dwarves
05. Unholy Warcry
06. Guardiani Del Destino
07. On The Way To Ainor
08. Drum Solo
09. Dawn Of Victory
10. Lamento Eroico
11. Holy Thunderforce
12. Dark Frozen World (Intro)
13. Sea Of Fate
14. Bass Solo
15. The March Of The Swordmaster
16. The Frozen Tears Of Angels
17. Emerald Sword
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
28.11.2010 - 21:16
the stranger

The concert they gave on Friday was fucking epic! After I left the place I met with two friends and I wasn't able to speak for all the singing and chanting. Been listening to all my Rhapsody albums for two entire days. Specially I have become quite fond of On The Way To Ainor. The setlist was the same as the one posted by Kallis Helmi. I suppose it's the same they have been using for the entire tour. Also, after seeing him play I have a higer regard for Patrice Guers. What an amazing bass player he is. Everybody at Rhapsody fucking kicks ass, but he just amazed me more than the rest after the concert. Probably because I don't pay that much attention to the bass lines on the albums. Anyway, he's solo was a brilliant andtook me by surprise with he's slapping abilities. You don't see much slap on metal, even less on power metal. Holzwarth solo was ok, I was expecting more of him. I would have liked to see Turilli and Staropoli each having he's own moment to show off. Lione is a really good frontman and interacted pretty nicely with the crowd. I was glad that I wasn't the only dude who knew almost every song, it has happened to me on other concerts, so it's always a satisfaction when there's another couple thousand people singing and jumping with you.
03.12.2010 - 08:08
tweetbombardier

I haven't gotten anything since Symphony of Enchanted Lands 2, but I heard a couple songs off their most recent album and I was really impressed. Symphony of Enchanted Lands 1 is still my fave. Probably because it was the first album of theirs I got. I will always love this amazingly cheesy band.
03.12.2010 - 21:59
sac666

I really enjoyed Rhapsody's - Frozen Tears Of an Angel. Can anyone recommend siimilar bands / albums. I have heard most of Blind Guardian / Helloween / Gamma Ray over many years but they have not pulled me away from thrash / death but Rhapsody of fire has really caught attention and I am enjoying them absolutely. After reading some forums I gave Sonata Arctica a try but found it too sweet. However I would really like to explore similar music and welcome your suggestions.
05.12.2010 - 02:42
vex_sparks

The New rhapsody album was sheer brilliance!
05.12.2010 - 16:29
sac666

Written by Irritable Ted on 04.12.2010 at 20:43

Written by sac666 on 03.12.2010 at 21:59

I really enjoyed Rhapsody's - Frozen Tears Of an Angel. Can anyone recommend siimilar bands / albums. I have heard most of Blind Guardian / Helloween / Gamma Ray over many years but they have not pulled me away from thrash / death but Rhapsody of fire has really caught attention and I am enjoying them absolutely. After reading some forums I gave Sonata Arctica a try but found it too sweet. However I would really like to explore similar music and welcome your suggestions.

Pathfinder, Beyond The Space Beyond The Time, very similar to Rhapsody.

Kamelot, any of their stuff.
Vanden Plas, a bit more prog
Whyzdom, like Kamelot but with female vocals or Epica
Ensiferum, if you like harsh vocals

Thanks .. I will give them a try.
10.12.2010 - 16:44
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
I went yesterday to their concert, and it was simply awesome, contrary to comments i hear (many years ago) about their live perfomances being not so good, well thought they use samples for the symphonic parts, they sound right, they're all good with their intstruments and play all well together.
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
10.12.2010 - 19:19
Baz Anderson

I hope their new album will be as good as, if not better than their last one.
I guess because it is being released so soon, they already wrote it along with the last album. Let's just hope the EP was a way of putting out all the off-cuts, and that this new album isn't just like that.
09.11.2011 - 18:21
Baz Anderson

"Greatest" might be stretching it...
Their quest for the emerald sword takes them to McDonalds...
09.11.2011 - 19:14
GT
Coffee!!
Not only stretching it I would say. The vocals are terrible
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep