05. At The Gates Of Sleep
06. The Killjoy
07. Last Statement
08. Devoid Of Caring
09. In The Groves Of Death
10. Victims Circle Complete [Japanese bonus]
11. Unmourned [Japanese bonus]
12. Numen Vivinum [Japanese bonus]

After some very positive feedback from their last two albums, in particular the brilliant "Since The Day It All Came Down," Insomnium came back with a third album appropriately titled "Above the Weeping World." Now I say appropriately because the album portrays a strong atmosphere of sorrow, and even sometimes delight, achieved through excellent music and meaningful lyrics.

Now I realize that "Melodic Death Metal" has recently evolved into something more modernized and simplistic, but above all more accessible to the average music enthusiast. Although Insomnium do play Melodic death, they do it in such a way that's reminiscent of such masterpieces as "The Gallery," "The Jester Race" and to a lesser extent "Slaughter of the Soul" mixing the purity of acoustic guitars with electric, but always having that raw feel and aggression to it the entire way through (unlike the melodeath bands now, that release albums that are overproduced and as stated before much more modernized).

It has been a while since I have actually heard the album, but I know what I like and like most albums that haven't been heard over a period of time, you distinctly remember the songs that stuck out and made it worth your purchase. In this instance, the high points are definitely "The Gale," "Change of Heart," "At The Gates Of Sleep" and the phenomenal closer (and my favourite track off the album) "In The Groves Of Death," which starts off with a beautiful acoustic piece, after which the heavy riffs come in and perfectly mix with the acoustic creating an excellent introduction to the 10 minute opus.

Hopefully Insomnium can keep releasing albums like this one, because they and Dark Tranquillity are the only ones keeping the genre fresh and interesting, and when push comes to shove Insomnium will be an important role model for upcoming bands of the same genre, playing Melodic death metal the way it was always meant to be.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by Desecrator | 20.12.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 15   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 343 users
11.01.2009 - 05:00
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Wouldnt say DT are keeping the genre interesting...every freekin album they release sounds like damage done!
11.01.2009 - 12:01
Desecrator

Written by Guest on 11.01.2009 at 05:00

Wouldnt say DT are keeping the genre interesting...every freekin album they release sounds like damage done!

I see you're not a fan of DT. I have been fortunate enough to have heard their entire discography, and I must say that their evolution from when they began back in 89 up to now is just extraordinary, sorry but it sounds like you obviously haven't heard enough to know what you are talking about.
11.01.2009 - 15:46
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Desecrator on 11.01.2009 at 12:01

I see you're not a fan of DT. I have been fortunate enough to have heard their entire discography, and I must say that their evolution from when they began back in 89 up to now is just extraordinary, sorry but it sounds like you obviously haven't heard enough to know what you are talking about.

Dude seriously....of COURSE they sounded different back then but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the argument at hand and I can show you 100 bands that sounded different way back when - hell what about In Flames. They sound nothing at all like they used to but are they keeping the scene alive? Hell no, theve sucked for the past 8 years.

And fair enough, DT obviously seems to be one of your favorites, but fans have very short memories. When a band is very versatile thats cool and all but if their last 3 albums pretty much sound exactly the same then thats not keeping it interesting. And when u listen to them bringing out the same stuff for 6 years then all of a sudden one forgets about the good old days where they were fresh and interesting.

So ur right...Im not a big fan of DT - Im a big fan of Damage Done and The Gallery, but seriously I need a little more stimulation and originality to keep me interested in a band. Bringing out the same albums dont really keep me satisfied - perhaps you like the fact that theyve at least stayed on a plato and didnt nose-dive like some other bands. Not my cup of tea, I want bands to evolve and become better and I dont want to wait 20 years for it to happen
12.01.2009 - 04:23
Desecrator

Written by Guest on 11.01.2009 at 15:46

Dude seriously....of COURSE they sounded different back then but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the argument at hand and I can show you 100 bands that sounded different way back when - hell what about In Flames. They sound nothing at all like they used to but are they keeping the scene alive? Hell no, theve sucked for the past 8 years.

And fair enough, DT obviously seems to be one of your favorites, but fans have very short memories. When a band is very versatile thats cool and all but if their last 3 albums pretty much sound exactly the same then thats not keeping it interesting. And when u listen to them bringing out the same stuff for 6 years then all of a sudden one forgets about the good old days where they were fresh and interesting.

So ur right...Im not a big fan of DT - Im a big fan of Damage Done and The Gallery, but seriously I need a little more stimulation and originality to keep me interested in a band. Bringing out the same albums dont really keep me satisfied - perhaps you like the fact that theyve at least stayed on a plato and didnt nose-dive like some other bands. Not my cup of tea, I want bands to evolve and become better and I dont want to wait 20 years for it to happen

That's exactly my point, you're not a big DT fan, so it doesn't surprise me that it all sounds the same to you, hell im not a big Iron Maiden fan, so a lot of the music i've heard from them recently all sounds the same to me as well. What about Amon Amarth, they've brought nothing new to the table over the last decade and are somehow constantly releasing great albums. Anyway this arguement is obviously going nowhere so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree
12.01.2009 - 17:40
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Desecrator on 12.01.2009 at 04:23

Written by Guest on 11.01.2009 at 15:46

That's exactly my point, you're not a big DT fan, so it doesn't surprise me that it all sounds the same to you, hell im not a big Iron Maiden fan, so a lot of the music i've heard from them recently all sounds the same to me as well. What about Amon Amarth, they've brought nothing new to the table over the last decade and are somehow constantly releasing great albums. Anyway this arguement is obviously going nowhere so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree

Yeap guess so..
17.07.2009 - 14:16
Rating: 10
Solstafir!

Mortal Share is such an awesome song...one of my favourites...
Overall this is a darn good album, but still behind S.T.D.I.A.C.D..
11.05.2010 - 07:55
arglactable

An absolutely phenomenal album and one of my all-time favorites. .Pretty much flawless, IMO. Insomnium's second best after Since the Day it All Came Down.
18.08.2010 - 16:49
Wishmaster
Account deleted
Well done on the review!

Did you guys know that Drawn To Black's chorus is from a poem written by Francis William Bourdillon? just saying.

I listen to this album almost everyday! I love it!
25.08.2010 - 06:26
Rating: 9
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 18.08.2010 at 16:49

Well done on the review!

Did you guys know that Drawn To Black's chorus is from a poem written by Francis William Bourdillon?

'The Night Has A Thousand Eyes' is a one-hit wonder. If you really want to appreciate English poetry, look no further than William Blake (especially 'The Lamb' and 'The Tyger' from "Songs Of Innocence And Of Experience").

Oh ya, and this album is amazing.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.08.2010 - 16:50
Wishmaster
Account deleted
Quote:
If you really want to appreciate English poetry, look no further than William Blake (especially 'The Lamb' and 'The Tyger' from "Songs Of Innocence And Of Experience").

I only know The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell, but I've never read it. Shame on me! I'll read the ones you suggested first. Still, I know William Shakespeare will always be my favorite poet.
31.08.2010 - 21:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Quote:
Written by Guest on 31.08.2010 at 16:50

If you really want to appreciate English poetry, look no further than William Blake (especially 'The Lamb' and 'The Tyger' from "Songs Of Innocence And Of Experience").

I only know The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell, but I've never read it. Shame on me! I'll read the ones you suggested first. Still, I know William Shakespeare will always be my favorite poet.

Shakespeare's the man/renegade/holy ghost/whatever the latest conspiracy is. He is the holder of my favorite quote after all:

Quote:

Our doubts are traitors
And make us lose the good we oft might win
By fearing to attempt.

A man after my own heart...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.03.2011 - 20:16
Grammy

This is the greatest album i know of. 10/10
23.03.2011 - 13:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Grammy on 22.03.2011 at 20:16

This is the greatest album i know of. 10/10

It's got a favorite-A/favorite-B spot on my all-time melodic death metal albums list, alongside Be'lakor's "Stone's Reach".
----
15.09.2013 - 06:30
Eye

Not a bad review. Definitely made some good points there but I must ask I understand why you rated originality 8, BUT the songwriting is a sure 10. It's unarguable it's a 10 and you should re-listen the album and re-read the lyrics if you cant hear them.
----
They who never got sorrow
Grinding grief in their hearts
Never lost a thing
Never had a thing
20.03.2017 - 23:48
BlankFile

Wow, amazing record. One of the best Insomnium álbums for sure.

"Devoid of Caring" and "In The Groves Of Death" are masterpieces.

Hits total: 10504 | This month: 26