Metal Storm logo
Nightwish vs Children Of Bodom

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 02.01.2009 - 22:27
Nightwish and COB are the most popular Finnish bands, right? Easy poll: Nightwish OR Children Of Bodom.

My choice is Children Of Bodom for two reasons: first, I always preferred Extreme Metal, and second, I'm disappointed by most of Nightwish's stuff after Wishmaster. And Anette Olzon's voice is... well, you know exactly how it sounds.

Poll

The ultimate Finnish Metal poll!

Children Of Bodom
Nightwish

Total votes: 186
13.02.2009 - 06:06
Rotten-Corpse
Account deleted
The old Nightwish is better. The new mutilated Nightwish wouldn't win even against Nocturnal Depression... So i vote for Nightwish, considering is the classic one...
13.02.2009 - 08:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Lol i'm guessing you are comparing them from the instrumental(and lyrics) point of view... well in that case it's pretty tough but i think Nightwish is better, they might not be as technical as Bodom and they sure as fuck can't cramp 100 riffs in a song like they do but they manage to sound pretty atmospheric and REALLY FUCKING catchy without all those "OMG LOOK HOW FAST I CAN SHRED MOTHERFUCKERS!!" moments that CoB has, and Nightwish's lyrics are like over 9000x better.
13.02.2009 - 08:49
ForeverDarkWoods

The older material is pretty much a tie for me. I don't listen to either one very often, but they're quite nice when you're in the mood for it.

The reason I picked COB is their recent material sucks *slightly* less than recent Nightwish.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
13.02.2009 - 14:28
Sigyn
miaregine.com
Children of Bodom! No doubt in my mind. I used to be a Nightwish-fan, but with all the drama and the quality of the music, I somehow now can't stand it

Oh.. Check out: Youtube - Children of Bodom - Oops! I did it again ... SO FUNNY! :-D
----
www.miaregine.com

Delirium and Delight
13.02.2009 - 16:06
taha_69

Children Of Bodom by far!

I dont know what it is with Nightwish, their new stuff actually bugs me! lol.
13.02.2009 - 17:10
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Ellrohir on 11.02.2009 at 01:40

You are comparing incomparable...

Come on, listen to Nightwish's Gethsemane or Stargazers and to CoB's early albums like Hatebreeder and tell me there's absolutely nothing similar between those bands.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
13.02.2009 - 19:10
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Sorry, but for me it is like poll "compare Finntroll to Mägo De Oz"...well both are folk metal...but thats all
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.02.2009 - 12:57
GT
Coffee!!
Nightwish all the way. Their lyrics are just so much better as Valentin also mentioned up above. Musically I prefer Nightwish as well, but not because they're better ('cause I have no idea if they are, I'm not a musician), but just because I prefer the sound of it. Vocals are not comparable to me
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
18.02.2009 - 16:15
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Ellrohir on 13.02.2009 at 19:10

Sorry, but for me it is like poll "compare Finntroll to Mägo De Oz"...well both are folk metal...but thats all

And I think it's more interesting to compare bands that have some similarity than bands that sound almost the same, but that's my opinion, I guess... Polls like Graveworm vs Agathodaimon or Helloween vs Blind Guardian are boring to me, since if you like one, you like the two.
----
18.02.2009 - 16:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I still dont get your point...i think it is good, when you like both bands, because then you can tell "this one is better because this, this, this...the second one is lacking this, this, this"...but when 2 different bands, you more likely just vote for the style you like imo...and thats nothing "fair" or "transparent"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.02.2009 - 16:40
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I voted bodom. Honestly though, way more criticisms about Bodom could be made than about Nightwish. Bodoms last three albums have been sub-par, not really getting any better with each progressive release. They are WAY more guilty (though both bands are) of commercial endorsements and label whoring. Alexi Laiho has posed for the cover of so many guitar world magazienes it makes me sick.

However, I personally prefer the overall sound of bodom on their first three albums, and even on Hate Crew Death Roll (their last two albums are okay but not worth buying.) Nightwish is awsome but imo Bodom is better.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
20.02.2009 - 18:39
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Arian Totalis on 18.02.2009 at 16:40

I voted bodom. Honestly though, way more criticisms about Bodom could be made than about Nightwish. Bodoms last three albums have been sub-par, not really getting any better with each progressive release. They are WAY more guilty (though both bands are) of commercial endorsements and label whoring. Alexi Laiho has posed for the cover of so many guitar world magazienes it makes me sick.

However, I personally prefer the overall sound of bodom on their first three albums, and even on Hate Crew Death Roll (their last two albums are okay but not worth buying.) Nightwish is awsome but imo Bodom is better.

Am I the only one who likes Are You Dead Yet? It's real short, but most tracks are very powerful and sound more Death metal than their other releases. To me, their worst album before Blooddrunk (which is definitely bad) is Hate Crew Deathroll. I like maybe 3 songs out that one.
----
20.02.2009 - 18:43
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by MétalNoir on 20.02.2009 at 18:39

Written by Arian Totalis on 18.02.2009 at 16:40

Am I the only one who likes Are You Dead Yet? It's real short, but most tracks are very powerful and sound more Death metal than their other releases. To me, their worst album before Blooddrunk (which is definitely bad) is Hate Crew Deathroll. I like maybe 3 songs out that one.

I wouldn't say that AYDY is really that deathy. If nothing else I would say that it has more thrash and hardcore influences, as Alexi Himself has said about the making of that album. But I never said I didn't like. I mean, it's okay. All i'm saying is that comparitively it's Sub-Par to all of their previous releases (and imo, that includes HCDR)
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

21.02.2009 - 07:28
xXValhallaXx
Account deleted
I think that both bands have now sold their souls and have become money hungry mobs rather than passionate musicians. As for their old stuff, though it hurts me to say this because it is too close, i vote for CoB. XD
21.02.2009 - 20:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Arian Totalis on 20.02.2009 at 18:43

I wouldn't say that AYDY is really that deathy. If nothing else I would say that it has more thrash and hardcore influences, as Alexi Himself has said about the making of that album. But I never said I didn't like. I mean, it's okay. All i'm saying is that comparitively it's Sub-Par to all of their previous releases (and imo, that includes HCDR)

AYDY deathy? Yeah, ok, and Whitney Houston is thrash metal.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.02.2009 - 09:22
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 21.02.2009 at 20:33

Yeah, the hardcore definitly outweighs the thrash. I think he actually said that as a justification for the alteration of the sound of the album. I dunno, bottom line is that imo it's a very sub-par album. Disapointing is a good word to describe it.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

23.02.2009 - 22:01
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Arian Totalis on 22.02.2009 at 09:22

Written by Doc G. on 21.02.2009 at 20:33

Yeah, the hardcore definitly outweighs the thrash. I think he actually said that as a justification for the alteration of the sound of the album. I dunno, bottom line is that imo it's a very sub-par album. Disapointing is a good word to describe it.

Just ask instead of speculating about my opinion, dudes... Calling AYDY more Death was not a good word choice. What I meant is that it's less Power Metal than previous albums.
----
01.03.2009 - 22:54
face_your_demons

Nightwish! Don't really have something with Children Of Bodom
----
02.03.2009 - 03:33
Glower

Sadly, both bands' music has evolved for the worse, and I don't listen to either bands' new material.
I love both of their older material though.
I went with COB because they mean more to me :]
02.03.2009 - 09:26
Brave

Sound like "Symphonic vs Power"
02.03.2009 - 17:26
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Brave on 02.03.2009 at 09:26

Actually, it's Symphonic Power vs Extreme Power...
----
03.03.2009 - 08:18
Brave

Written by MétalNoir on 02.03.2009 at 17:26

Written by Brave on 02.03.2009 at 09:26

Actually, it's Symphonic Power vs Extreme Power...

I just mean Nightwish is more symphonic CoB is more power...
01.05.2009 - 17:10
Sentenced Odiin
gothic.moorion@gmail.com
I prefer Bodom, since it is more closer to my style, but of course Nightwish has a great atmosphere too.
But if you check Nightwish, there are many similiar bands, let's mention a few: Within Temptation or (my personal favourite in this style) Delain...but if you see COB, there is no similiar bands...maybe Norther or Sinergy (vocal difference!)...
----
Life has given me much, maybe taken more...
01.05.2009 - 17:17
Peuranpuolikas

Which is the better singer of Nightwish?

Well Marco offcource!

COB did good job on their 4 first records, but then... My vote for COB, ´cos its the band that got me into metal.
----
Look, The old Bitch is back!
01.05.2009 - 17:36
Bas
Retired Staff
Lol a poll between two of the bands i can stand the least, a bummer there isn't a "both suck" option

If I'd really have to choose between the lesser of two evils though, I'd say CoB piss me off less
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
01.05.2009 - 20:01
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I voted for Nightwish, because they still have a pretty decent level and CoB were not able to keep their level.
02.05.2009 - 01:14
Robstar

Mqan the questions is stupid fucking children , how can you compare Nightwish with COB..,,, come on? Gove me break
----
Nothing is unreacheable
04.05.2009 - 13:50
Rosaka

The new Nightwish is not good, not since Olzon. But they have Marco!
Bodom has had really good stuff but now they're going downhill... Still, due to my personal taste, the points goes to CoB.
06.05.2009 - 10:19
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
These 2 bands have nothing to do with eachother... really, nothing....
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.05.2009 - 23:25
Wyrd

Written by Deadmeat on 06.05.2009 at 10:19

These 2 bands have nothing to do with eachother... really, nothing....

I agree. But if I had to choose Bodom because the guitarist in CoB is sick. Nightwish is good too but it's hard to compare the 2 bands.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"