Metal Storm logo
Possessed vs Death vs Morbid Angel

06.07.2006 - 03:53
Mega-Slayer
I'm curious to what you think about these 3 bands,who out of them defined death metal?For me its Possessed,not only because of the "Seven Churches" album,but also they forever changed the metal scene with their style and Jeff Becerra has the best vocals hands down.It is tough though,Morbid Angel and Death took it to another level,and they have had more classic releases than Posssessed.Possessed would've probably had a few more albums if not for Jeff's accident.Morbid Angel is second in line for me,cuz they are a little more extreme than Death in my opinion and released one of the greatest cds "Altars Of Madness".
Death had Chuck Schuldiner though so its difficult.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
06.07.2006 - 04:14
Trifixion
Account deleted
Interesting that you said which DEFINED Death Metal, that changes alot. If you were to say who invented it or who was the first to play it, I'd say Possessed. Simply Seven Churches was the first DM album out there...on the other hand I would say that Death really defined it. Where Possessed was Thrash/Death, Death took it to a whole new level of extremity. Sure there was Thrash in Death but they really defined Deth Metal with their sound to what it's generally known as today. Morbid Angel were definetly innovators of DM as well but they came a bit later which counts them out for me. So I think even though Possessed invented it, Death definetly defined it.
06.07.2006 - 05:40
Invoked
Account deleted
IMHO, only the first few Death albums were really Death Metal, Morbid Angel never really shifted styles (even though their more recent material is more reminiscient of say, Pantera). This is really hard, I love all three bands, but I guess Death will probably always be my fav whether or not they're as "pure" Death metal. Basically it comes down to a tie between "Leprosy" and "Blessed are the Sick", even though the latter is much more complex (musically and lyrically).
06.07.2006 - 05:46
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 06.07.2006 at 04:15

Morbid Angel started before Death...

True but Scream Bloody Gore was released before Altars, as well as Death's demo which I forgot the name of.
06.07.2006 - 05:52
Invoked
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.07.2006 at 05:46

True but Scream Bloody Gore was released before Altars, as well as Death's demo which I forgot the name of.

The Death demo was called "Agressive Thunder" and was released in 1985 (i believe). I happen to own it, found it at a used Record store (it's only available on vinyl)
06.07.2006 - 06:00
Mega-Slayer

I read they both formed in 83',death went by mantas at first though.
----

06.07.2006 - 15:19
lordz
IzZo
Guys FUCK who started first
were talking whos the best I bet if any of these guys were born in the 1890"s we would have thought of Death metal as classic metal since these guys were born with the sol purpose to bring death metal to life.

anyway back to the subject Chuck is the Death metal emperor and all the rest are just followers that doesnt mean their not good though!!
07.07.2006 - 00:59
okt31
Account deleted
Well, some tima ago I'd prefer Morbid Angel. But Death grew on me and they take the crown. However the real pioneers are Possessed with Seven Churches..
07.07.2006 - 01:46
Niflhel
Account deleted
I have problems comparing MA to the others.
It's either death or Morbid Angel (i think), but Morbid Angel are sexier, so ill have to go with them.
Possessed? meh, go to bed
13.07.2006 - 05:00
Darryl/2112
Account deleted
i remember getting the first Death demo,that was pretty heavy stuff back then,i believe Samuel06 had all thier demos too back then.
who knew Evil Chuck/RIP would influence a whole genre.
very cool guy by the way.

Possessed was good i liked thier first demo.
13.07.2006 - 07:44
Stigmatized
Written by Guest on 06.07.2006 at 04:14

Interesting that you said which DEFINED Death Metal, that changes alot. If you were to say who invented it or who was the first to play it, I'd say Possessed. Simply Seven Churches was the first DM album out there...on the other hand I would say that Death really defined it. Where Possessed was Thrash/Death, Death took it to a whole new level of extremity. Sure there was Thrash in Death but they really defined Deth Metal with their sound to what it's generally known as today. Morbid Angel were definetly innovators of DM as well but they came a bit later which counts them out for me. So I think even though Possessed invented it, Death definetly defined it.

What he said....

My favorite of the three is Morbid Angel, no question.
26.07.2006 - 08:04
Megadeth88
I love all three of these bands. Possessed being the inventor of death metal and putting out one of the best death metal albums ever. Death being an outstand death metal band though they started to get more progressive and melodic (which I liked), and Morbid Angel just being a good death metal band. I think out of those three I'd take Possessed mainly because I love Larry Lalonde's guitar work. Though Chuck's, and Trey's are still fuckin' great I just prefer Lalonde over them.
28.07.2006 - 03:52
Daru Jericho
Death for me. The vocal styles flippin' changed on prety much every album! The guitaring is great, riffs are very catchy and memorable. Later, they put prog sounds in their music, upping them even higher among fans' favourites.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

03.08.2006 - 00:30
Thrash666
Death created death metal and are the most legandary death metal band ever.
Morbid Angel and Possessed fucking kick ass too, but Death would get my vote
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
03.08.2006 - 05:08
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.07.2006 at 05:52

Written by Guest on 06.07.2006 at 05:46

The Death demo was called "Agressive Thunder" and was released in 1985 (i believe). I happen to own it, found it at a used Record store (it's only available on vinyl)

haha i got that shit, i downloaded it, i got a few instrumental stuff chuck made.. some good fucking shit..
03.08.2006 - 07:35
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...death without a doubt...i like them more that mostly any other death band...maybe morbid was 1st but still, death is death...imo, cant compare chuck's work to others...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
06.08.2006 - 03:46
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Possessed because they were the creators of Death Metal. In an interview Shuldiner (R.I.P) said that if Possessed did not exist then Death would not exist. Morbid Angel are a great band but again if Possessed hadn't released the amazing "Seven Churches" then they would not exist.
06.08.2006 - 04:13
Mega-Slayer
Written by Guest on 06.08.2006 at 03:46

Possessed because they were the creators of Death Metal. In an interview Shuldiner (R.I.P) said that if Possessed did not exist then Death would not exist. Morbid Angel are a great band but again if Possessed hadn't released the amazing "Seven Churches" then they would not exist.

Are you talking about the interview form 93' with Andy Larocque?Cuz I watched it the other day and thats what he was talking about,he also said he was highly influenced by them,so you are probably right.On the other hand he said that he thinks Venom started death with the harsh vocals.
----

06.08.2006 - 04:38
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Written by Mega-Slayer on 06.08.2006 at 04:13

Written by Guest on 06.08.2006 at 03:46

Are you talking about the interview form 93' with Andy Larocque?Cuz I watched it the other day and thats what he was talking about,he also said he was highly influenced by them,so you are probably right.On the other hand he said that he thinks Venom started death with the harsh vocals.

Yeah i am talking about that interview. I don't agree so much about Venom started death metal, first of all because you can't describe the music that a band plays by its vocals. The creators of Death Metal are Possessed with Seven Churches, Slayer with Hell Awaits, Hellhammer (band of Ain and Warrior before Celtic Frost) with their Apocalyptic Raids EP, and maybe also Celtic Frost with To Mega Therion. But who am i to say that the GREAT Chuck Shuldiner is wrong?
07.08.2006 - 01:48
wreath
Account deleted
i do not agree with you, slayer may have influenced many dm bands, but they don't play dm at all.venom also influenced many black metal bands, and many people considers them as the inventors of black metal(maybe because their Black Metal song), but the music they played, not black at all.and not death metal also, even if the vocals are a bit hursh.
anyway, to be on topic: i agree with the fact that Possessed released the first death metal album(even if it's more thrash/death), but i think Death definately defined death metal and are still the great of all this many good death metal bands
07.08.2006 - 15:18
rebelos
Account deleted
Death for sure!
maybe Possessed started black metal but Chuck made it famous worldwide!
alll and i mean it ALL of his songs are magnificant!!
Possessed has one album that it is certainly magnificant but who knows what whould happen after that?
that's why i am voting for the GREAT CHUCK!!
07.08.2006 - 15:54
Warman
Erotic Stains
Morbid Angel of course! One of the bands that got me into metal!
----
10.08.2006 - 03:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Morbid Angel are unbeatalbe in Death Metal... "Altars Of Madness" is the supreme album of the genre without a single drop of doubt.... I never really liked Death and Possessed.
11.08.2006 - 08:45
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
wow wow wow

I will go with Death , Morbid Angle is awesome and so is Possessed .. i choose Death becoz i enjoy them the most. Agree that Possessed have much much better influece to all the earlier death metal bands , and in the other hand Morbid Angel have uber kickass stuff , bu that has nothing to do with my personal musical choice. I enjoy all of them but my favorite among these three is Death for sure.

RIP Chuck
23.08.2006 - 14:11
wreath
Account deleted
u are not gonna get bashed, but i have to disagree with you.not oly human, but all of their albums are death metal.it's true that the latest are more technical, but still "pure dm"(lol o never thought this "pure" thing will start in dm too:)) so, maybe u consider more brutal stuff to be "pure", but i have to say DEATH are a death metal band, one of the best, with some more technical albums and ok, a little thrash influences here and there , but a little
23.08.2006 - 20:00
Mega-Slayer
You can look at it this way in 1987 when "Scream Bloody Gore" was released Death was the only group to release a death metal album,along with possessed,so the sound of death metal might have sounded thrashy,cuz it had not yet been fully defined and developed.Also what would you say defines Death metal,cuz I always thought it was harsh vocals,and lightning fast and high pitched solos and fast drum work,but some Death groups are lacking in those.Take cynic for axample most of their music is chill,but Paul has the brutal vocals,so why are they considered death?
----

23.08.2006 - 23:44
wreath
Account deleted
i agree with this.maybe there is a a bit of thrashy sound in possesed's seven churches and also in scream bloody gore, being the first death metal albums, with no other precursory album.after all, death has been born from thrash. but we cannot say that death's albums are thrash.and there are many other old death bands who have this old and thrashy sound, but are still death.
24.08.2006 - 02:28
Mega-Slayer
Yeah I guess your right.
----

26.09.2006 - 14:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
For me its hard to choose, because I like all bands
Ok Possessed - I had hear firts 2 Albums only but its death, same time speed/deth and there are energy in that muisc, its great and old school band

Morbid Angel - i like ''Altar Of Madnes'' and maybe next 2 albums and song ''God Of Amtness''
actualy I like only
''Altar Of Madness'' ''Abominations Of Desolation'' and i can lsiten ''Blessed Are Sick'' but leither ehh its not my type of metal, but song ''god Of Emtness'' :bnger2:

Death - I like almoust each album of them, its amazing and its old school and gret and diferent how other detah metal bands I like them
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.09.2006 - 03:09
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I've heard verry little morbid angel, and Not possessed at all
But I LOVE death, so they get my vote.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.