Metal Storm logo
Possessed vs Death vs Morbid Angel

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 06.07.2006 - 03:53
I'm curious to what you think about these 3 bands,who out of them defined death metal?For me its Possessed,not only because of the "Seven Churches" album,but also they forever changed the metal scene with their style and Jeff Becerra has the best vocals hands down.It is tough though,Morbid Angel and Death took it to another level,and they have had more classic releases than Posssessed.Possessed would've probably had a few more albums if not for Jeff's accident.Morbid Angel is second in line for me,cuz they are a little more extreme than Death in my opinion and released one of the greatest cds "Altars Of Madness".
Death had Chuck Schuldiner though so its difficult.
28.09.2006 - 05:32
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Morbid Angel wins for sure, they were the most brutal of these bands, and the most legendary (i think) and Morbid Angel were always good Death sorta wernt Death Metal after the first few albums.
29.09.2006 - 05:07
Sunioj
>immortal plague,
I sort of agree with you, they did go really proggressive when sound of perseverance, nevertheless its flawless music. However i am a bigger morbid angel fan.
16.01.2007 - 09:09
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
An extremely difficult choice... I like all three bands almost equally.
But Possessed's aggressive and speedy sound (especially their '7 churches') is among my favourites. Well, I like Death's old style. Morbid Angel's 'Altars of Madness' is my favourite, and I like most of their albums.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
16.01.2007 - 15:31
Sunioj
Written by Dangerboner on 24.08.2006 at 02:11

Written by Mega-Slayer on 23.08.2006 at 20:00

You can look at it this way in 1987 when "Scream Bloody Gore" was released Death was the only group to release a death metal album,along with possessed,so the sound of death metal might have sounded thrashy,cuz it had not yet been fully defined and developed.Also what would you say defines Death metal,cuz I always thought it was harsh vocals,and lightning fast and high pitched solos and fast drum work,but some Death groups are lacking in those.Take cynic for axample most of their music is chill,but Paul has the brutal vocals,so why are they considered death?

Downtuned guitars is a big thing in death metal...something which Possessed and Death lacked. I'm not saying that downtuned guitars is a good thing or a bad thing, but it is just something that characterizes the genre. From my understanding, Morbid Angel were one of the first bands to introduce that.

Plus, you can't define something as death metal just because the music is fast and the vocals are harsh. In that case Slayer would be death metal, and they aren't.

Though Death didnt downtune in their first few albums, they did downtune later on, mainly standard D.
17.01.2007 - 00:29
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah I know, and that's when they not only became better, but became heavier.
17.01.2007 - 00:48
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Personally, I can't decide between Death and Morbid Angel. Death got me into death metal in the first place, but Morbid Angel is one of my all-time favorite bands. No matter which decision I make, they're both great bands.
17.01.2007 - 00:52
spirit_inblack
harshhead
For me its Death, easily. I like the technical part of the band's discography a lot, as well as the earlier, more standard death metal works. I am not much of a fan of Morbid Angel, I don't know why, but I just don't really like them. As for Possessed, they don't get my vote, because I am a sucker for tech. death and Death plays some of the best tech. death, but like Mega-Slayer said, Possessed changed the metal scene. Death, for me.
17.01.2007 - 00:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, this thread isn't about who is the best band, but who you think best defined the genre...
17.01.2007 - 01:19
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Aye, I see what you mean. I obviously didn't read too carefully. Morbid Angel defined the genre quite well and they influenced a ton of other bands, but I'm still gonna say Death. They were one of the first death metal bands, and I credit them for a major part of creating the genre. They, too influenced many bands, as well. I'll delete last post.
18.01.2007 - 03:59
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Written by Dangerboner on 17.01.2007 at 00:58

Well, this thread isn't about who is the best band, but who you think best defined the genre...

I think that Death and Possessed layed the stepping stones down, and then Morbid Angel, really defined because now it is still consitered Death Metal, and Scream Bloddy Gore and Seven Churches are consitered Thrash Metal, with some Death Metal aspects, so Morbid Angel really defined this Genre, but with the help of Death and Possessed.
21.03.2007 - 09:04
visceraltorture
Account deleted
don wanna compare.... cuz they were too different... but i havent heard possessed so much....
morbid angel and death never played the same way.....
24.03.2007 - 23:25
Curtis the Bum
Account deleted
Morbid Angel for me. They werent really a pioneering band quite as much as the other bands, but they had alot of the modern characteristics. Mainly, they wre one of the first to use overt classical influence.
27.03.2007 - 13:09
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
For me its Morbid Angel , well i am saying this because i really love the band, oh wait Morbid Angel is my all time favorite band as well Death is Amazing and so is Possessed. What really matters is the personal opinion and taste , all the three bands mentioned here is AWESOME , you just cant compare them.
Morbid Angel works for me
06.06.2007 - 18:37
graywolf87
Account deleted
I agree Morbid Angel is the most brutal and straight death metal sound, Possessed I believe sounds a bit more thrashy, don't you agree?....without a doubt Death is the most technical yet progressive out of the 3, guitars define the sound. technical death metal fans would say Death (including me) but Straight death metal might say Morbid Angel.

R.I.P: Chuck Schuldiner
08.06.2007 - 19:07
orathac
Account deleted
in my opion Possessed started Death Metal... (but only Seven Churches is the most close to DM, Beyond The Gates and Eyes Of Horror is mostly thrash) Death in their first album Scream Bloody Gore has the same vocals with Beccera in Seven Chuches. and remember that Death firstly was mantas with demos as Death By Metal wich was DM like Seven Churches too but i believe that Schuldiner after SBG album became total DM with (Leprosy Spiritual Healing etc.) and after that DM created. And in my opinion i believe Morbid Angel has nothing to do with the creation of DM but just a folowers of DM.

One of my friends told me that DM created by other bands like Hellhammer (or Celtic Frost after 1985) and Destruction with albums like Sentenced Of Death and Infernal Overkill i believe both bands are thrash and got nothing to do with DM they just more closely to BM vocals (Black Metal) from bands like Bathory and Venom.(btw Vanom started BM not DM [someone said in the topic that DM was created bu Venom])

I would like to say something more....
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner & Quorthon
they were my favorite...
26.09.2007 - 22:48
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Possessed INFLUENCED death metal. As did Death. But they were both thrash bands. Seven Churches is thrash. Scream Bloody Gore is thrash. Altars of Madness was the first real death metal album....it was the first album to move away from the thrash sound and almost totally predict death metal in its "pure form". Not that "Altars" doesn't have a thrash sound to it, oh no, listen to the riffing; SLayerism and Kreatorism abound! Same with blessed are the sick, another great album, although it is darker and slower, sinking deeper into death metal than altars...but Seven Churches Scream Bloody Gore were thrash, sorry...there's really no debating that. Death/thrash or just thrash. Not death metal. Altars is death metal. THat's the way it is.
29.09.2007 - 21:39
Kharn
Account deleted
Like so many have said before...

Possessed - they recorded THE first death metal record. in doing so, set the standard and defined death metal.

Death - chuck uped the anti a notch and delivered several albums that were brilliantly brutal(Especially for the time), adding in some other slightly melodic phrases and RE-defined what was expected from death metal. he set a new standard.

Morbid Angel - What can i say, really what can i say? right from the kick off they are brutal all the way to the end, not for a second letting up. Thier solo's make slayers sound like "mary had a little lamb"

Altars... is up there, seven churches is up there, and for me Pretty much all of deaths albums are up there with the best.

I cant answer it simply...possed defined, death re-defined and morbid angel blew definition away. im gonna say death cause they have the biggest back catalogue of awesome records.

In my own opinion of course:beer2:
30.09.2007 - 00:50
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
No, Seven Churches was a THRASH ALBUM. That is not that hard to grasp...it's got harsh vocals, sure, but it's most definately thrash. Altars of Madness was the first album to move away from thrash and break off into a separate genre (death metal) instead of being just really brutal thrash...because that's all Seven Churches and SBG are: brutal thrash. If you consider brutal thrash to be death metal, what can I say? You're just wrong. Different genre entirely, my friend.
30.09.2007 - 05:02
Mega-Slayer
^^^ Don't forget Master's 85' demo, Deathstrike's "Fuckin' Death", Slaughter's "Strappado", Incubus' "Serpent Temptation", Atheist' "Piece Of Time" and Necrophagia "Seasons Of The Dead". All those albums are Death metal at its early stage, and genre-defining. I don't care if you dont consider Master pure Death Metal, but I do, the s/t album which was all written around 84' and 85', and then recorded again in 89' is a real onslaught. Master was around quite awhile before Morbid Angel, and their first releases were pure Death Metal.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
01.10.2007 - 21:01
Kharn
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.09.2007 at 00:50

No, Seven Churches was a THRASH ALBUM. That is not that hard to grasp...it's got harsh vocals, sure, but it's most definately thrash. Altars of Madness was the first album to move away from thrash and break off into a separate genre (death metal) instead of being just really brutal thrash...because that's all Seven Churches and SBG are: brutal thrash. If you consider brutal thrash to be death metal, what can I say? You're just wrong. Different genre entirely, my friend.

Different genre entirely? no no no. depends on the comparison. heavy thrash elements are obvious in a lot of death metal. If you were to compare necrophagia to thrash then you have a point. if you were to compare any 80's death metal band to thrash then you would find a lot of similarities.
01.10.2007 - 21:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
But does someone of you had hear thrash/death metal werry early band swho jsut experment whit sound like Slaughter, Possessed, Sarcofago, Holocausto?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.10.2007 - 02:02
Ellie
Account deleted
I pick Morbid Angel
03.10.2007 - 03:27
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.10.2007 at 21:01

Written by Guest on 30.09.2007 at 00:50

Different genre entirely? no no no. depends on the comparison. heavy thrash elements are obvious in a lot of death metal. If you were to compare necrophagia to thrash then you have a point. if you were to compare any 80's death metal band to thrash then you would find a lot of similarities.

That's absolutely right, because all "80's death metal" (with the exception of Altars) WAS thrash!!! We're back to my point!!
28.10.2007 - 02:17
orathac
Account deleted
well actually there were been demos from Death and Possessed earlir than Slaughter, Sarcofago, Death Strike etc
28.10.2007 - 04:36
Fuath
jeeez tough question, ummmm, im going to have to go with death
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

10.12.2007 - 20:45
RockeRoy
who has the best vocalist of them?
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
26.02.2008 - 14:48
NOИ
Death. Chuck Schuldiner's skills was amazing!
11.03.2008 - 16:00
ABUSOR
Account deleted
POSSESSED!! Morbid Angel are'nt far off.. Death are overrated
01.07.2008 - 11:46
krabathor
Account deleted
For me Possessed are the godfathers of the Death Metal scene, Death developted the genre and made it fucking amazing. Morbid Angel played the impossible of death metal, so i guess without the three bands we wouldn't have seen all the fucking various death metal bands nowadays.
05.11.2008 - 14:00
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Possesed started, Death innovated and Morbid Angel defined todays death metal...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!