Disc II [2005 Re-release Bonus]
01. In Motion #1 [Beaufort Studio demo, June 1994]
02. Mandylion [Beaufort Studio demo, June 1994]
03. Solar Glider [Beaufort Studio demo, June 1994]
04. Eléanor [Tilburg, Double Noise Studio demo, early 1995]
05. In Motion #2 [Tilburg, Double Noise Studio demo, early 1995]
06. Third Chance [Tilburg, Double Noise Studio demo, early 1995]
07. Fear The Sea [Tilburg, Double Noise Studio demo, early 1995]

There were rough times for the Gathering somewhere before 1994. The contract with Foundation 2000 was slight and some of the members left the Gathering due to the lack of co-operation and the shady results from the label. These were really dark times, and there was nowhere else to go, but back to the better days. And the better days came. Came in the form of Anneke van Giersbergen and her angelic voice that was perfect for the experimental atmospheric style The Gathering was producing these days (and what they are doing till now). Besides that they got a new contract with a German label - Century Media. And in 1995 the album 'Mandylion' was released.

Atmospheric, as said before, is probably the best word to describe this album. Bringing us chilled yet dark feelings, sweet yet sad vocals and tunes that gently and tenderly caress one with its claws. A lot of instrumental so to say interludes have been used in this album to give even more atmosphere and some time to think. A small pause and again Anneke starts to fondle one with her soft voice and yet dark lyrics. Starting the album with a dreaming idea in 'Strange Machines'. The album continues with 'Eleanor' - in my opinion the best track on this album - slow and soft but at the same time dark and full of dislikeness. With only 10 short lines of lyrics but with an awesome mood the album continues with 'In Motion I'. The silent longing feeling for more can be experienced in the fourth track 'Leaves' - full of beauty and desire, tears and blind love. 'Fear the Sea' - a truthful song - yet behind these simple words hides itself something that's much deeper - in remembrance of a lost friend this song was written. And with the title song 'Mandylion' the album continues. Like a long interlude it is, with experimental instruments like windchimes and tambourines, slightly accompanied by the tender voice of Anneke. And with a really long intro starts the next song - 'Sand and Mercury' - showing fading hopes, dying. Dying to leave us the last song. 'In Motion II' is full of pain and longing desire, tears that are hidden in the rain, love that has no answer. And with that the album ends.

To write it short, the album 'Mandylion' is not only an album full of Gothic Metal in its most unique form, it's also an experience. The Gathering together with Anneke give away lots of emotions and words to think about. Calming, mood making and dark this album is. While only listening to it the listeners can be sure that they have not wasted a minute of their time. Rather at the opposite, I think that they have gained something - but what, depends on the listener.

Written by manic | 05.03.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 206 users
08.01.2009 - 14:30
Rating: 9
In Bone Factory

So deep.
marvelous.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
17.08.2010 - 16:57
Rating: 10
Vonpire

The Pearl of Metal!
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
24.08.2011 - 02:21
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Has always been and will always be one of my favorite albums to listen to when it's snowing. Walking in cold winter air and listening to this album are like two experiences that were created for one another. A true classic.
24.08.2011 - 14:37
Daniell
_爱情_
Blasphemy incoming: I hate Anneke's vocals. They're flat, non-varied and simply annoying. They spoil good music that can be found on this album.
That said, I do love one song from this album, "Mandylion". Those who know the album will know why
24.08.2011 - 18:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Daniell on 24.08.2011 at 14:37

Blasphemy incoming: I hate Anneke's vocals. They're flat, non-varied and simply annoying.

You're not alone there. I am another one who thinks that. But this is the only album with Anneke I find immensely enjoyable. The follow-up Nighttime Birds was just a watered down version of this one and the albums after that are even worse.
But whenever I say out loud what I think of Anneke and The Gathering with Anneke the The gathering fanboys and girls also start crying and shouting and hurling profanities at my head
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2011 - 19:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.08.2011 at 18:02

Written by Daniell on 24.08.2011 at 14:37

Blasphemy incoming: I hate Anneke's vocals. They're flat, non-varied and simply annoying.

You're not alone there. I am another one who thinks that. But this is the only album with Anneke I find immensely enjoyable. The follow-up Nighttime Birds was just a watered down version of this one and the albums after that are even worse.
But whenever I say out loud what I think of Anneke and The Gathering with Anneke the The gathering fanboys and girls also start crying and shouting and hurling profanities at my head

I can easily sit through the whole album because music-wise it's quite good.
14.09.2011 - 19:27
Rating: 10
Vonpire

Ss ss ss ss

Anneke voice = angelic voice
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
13.04.2013 - 05:53
BlackHalo83

Masterpiece of an album
17.08.2020 - 23:53
Rating: 9
BlankFile

Excellent álbum. Really deep, poetic and heavy.

Anneke´s voice is angelical and brilliant.

Hits total: 11703 | This month: 23