Metal Storm logo
Good stuff to get into bm/dm+bm instrumentation bands

06.07.2006 - 14:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
hi.this is a 2 in 1 topic. can someone reccomend me some good bands to get into black or death metal?(assuming i listened to meads of asphodel,dimmu borgir-and i liked them,but i listened to dark tranquility-and i didn't like it)also,does anyone know bands with "black" instrumentation,but with clean vocals or less ear-screeching screams?
06.07.2006 - 14:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
You want to get into black.

For the evil, raw BM try: Darkthrone, Gorgoroth.
Fast-paced BM: Dark Funeral.
Black 'n' Roll (Black, with Punk): Carpathian Forest.
Depressive: Burzum, Xasthur.
Avant-garde: Arcturus
Sympho: Anorexia Nervosa
Viking: Windir, Manegarm

For melo-death/gothenburg: In Flames (get the older) Dark Tranquility (try again, maybe you heard a bad song)
Old School: Grave, Bolt Thrower

Then tell us what you like, and we'll see.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.07.2006 - 14:48
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
1st question: just start off with the main bands (burzum, darkthrone, mayhem, immortal blah blah blah), see what bands you like and what you like about them then move on from there.

2nd question: urfaust and circle of ouroborous. the lyrics aren't really audible, but the vocals are clean
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
06.07.2006 - 15:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
(this is kind of offtopic) what genre are urfaust and circle of ouroborous?(forgive my noobness).also is cradle of filth a good band to listen if you want the same thing?considering MILLIONS of girls here listen to them,and still listen to him or nightwish...
06.07.2006 - 15:52
GrimFilth
Account deleted
Ancient, Nokturnal Mortum, Taake, Carpathian Forest, Satyricon
if you listen the music of those bands randomly, you'll have a great mix of easy to listen BM.

BM doesnt have clean vocals, but there are bands that sound like BM but aren't because of the vocals.
Vintersorg is a good example of this...

Cradle Of Filth is also a good example of what isn't BM, but it still helps understanding BM. and yes it's a great band to start with if you like the vocals. the old CoF was also my "teacher" of BM, but i got bored of it really fast because it had to much gothic influence
06.07.2006 - 15:59
matos
my advice how to get into black metal: i started with late Immortal ('Sons of Northren Darkness' and 'Damned in black') and yes there were also Dimmu Borgir, but i got over that band quite fast. Ok, maybe you should try some melo/sympho black bands like: Naglfar, Mystic Circle, Anorexia Nervosa, Catamenia...
Another advice: If you are planing to like black metal and you don't quite like it yet - please stay off Burzum and other ultra-underground bands.
Oh, just one more thing: First try the newer, later and untr00 albums of the bands and if you'll like them proceed back to the roots.
good luck
----
06.07.2006 - 16:09
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Valentin B on 06.07.2006 at 15:04

(this is kind of offtopic) what genre are urfaust and circle of ouroborous?(forgive my noobness).also is cradle of filth a good band to listen if you want the same thing?considering MILLIONS of girls here listen to them,and still listen to him or nightwish...

urfaust and CoO are black metal. instrumentally they're not anything weird, its just the vocals that changes how it feels.

cradle of filth have their moments but you better pretend you hate them and deny any parallels between their sound and black metal or everyone will hate you.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
06.07.2006 - 17:35
Zombie, M.D.
I was going to mention Urfaust and Circle of Ouroborus, but I cant really imagine someone who barely knows any BM listening to something as crappy (but in a charming black metal sort of way) as Circle of Ouroborus.

Have you heard DMDS by Mayhem yet? Theyre not exactly clean vocals, but quite far from being harsh black metal vocals.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
06.07.2006 - 17:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
err,no and frankly i don't know what you mean by dmds
06.07.2006 - 17:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.07.2006 - 17:48
Zombie, M.D.
Definitley check it out, the music is basically the blueprint for most modern black metal.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
06.07.2006 - 18:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yeah, Graveland is good too. And I agree with Zombie, M.D. DMDS is the blueprint.
----

06.07.2006 - 18:30
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
To get into Black Metal I recommend you Tvangeste, they come from Russia, and the style is symphonic Black Metal, the vocals aren't clean but in my opinion, they aren't so screaming and there are female vocals too, which makes the music excellent

Check the song "From Nameless Oracle", it's just a masterpiece and you'll see the main elements of their music, both vocals, violin, excellent guitars and drums
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
06.07.2006 - 21:42
tulkas
el parcero
I would recommend Agathodaimon and Eternal Tears of Sorrow, although some vocals are harsh, they also mix clean vocals and both bands are excellent. Another great black metal band is Menhir. They have amazing music, and there´s an instrumental song called 'Instrumental'. That song is just Try those, maybe you like them. Good luck
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
07.07.2006 - 00:14
Daru Jericho
How about Moonsorrow? They're not full black, which could help you cross into the genre without going fully headfirst (Moonsorrow are folk black). Another good folk black metal band is Arafel. Worth checking out too.

For some more modern BM check out Keep Of Kalessin.

And, you might want to check out Venom and Celtic Frost who influenced a load of BM bands.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

07.07.2006 - 00:41
matos
Written by Daru Jericho on 07.07.2006 at 00:14

For some more modern BM check out Keep Of Kalessin.

yeah she's right! you must try KoK, especially the latest album will great to get into black metal.
----
07.07.2006 - 09:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
what do you mean by modern?you know i was reading something on the web(magaizne,i think)and there it said stuff about in flames's sound going to more "modern" influences(aka nu metal)-offtopic
ontopic-does CoB count?assuming the screams are really violent.and what about death metal?i suppose gothenburg and amon amarth would be a good option...
14.07.2006 - 04:45
tuerda
Well, if you liked Dimmu Borgir I would suggest Anorexia Nervosa, Old Man's Child, and Susperia. All of these bands have a lot in common with Dimmu, except for the important difference that they are good bands and Dimmu is mediocre.
Other good acts in melodic black, or meloblack related stuff include Vintersorg, Borknagar, Rotting Christ, Agathodaimon and Windir. I can't think of any bands that really sound like meads of asphodel at all.
If you didn't like Dark Tranquility, I would recommend steering clear of Gothernburg metal altogether. DT is pretty much your quintessential gothenburg band, and all other gothenburg bands sound like them in one way or another. You aren't missing too much by skipping Gothenburg either. It is mostly pretty decent stuff, but it gets old fast.
There are other avenues into death metal for those who like things that are relatively soft. I suggest you try Hypocrisy for starters. Amon Amarth is another option, but they have a lot of similarities with the gothenburg bands. Another interesting approach might be with Therion's albums "Symphony Masses: Ho Drakon Ho Megas" and "Lepacca Kliffoth". If you are open minded, they are pretty great.

I would personally stay away from Cradle of Filth. They sound an awful lot like Dimmu Borgir, which you claimed to like, but they are just awful. Children of Bodom is neither death metal nor black metal, and I found it to be fun for a while, but it got old pretty quick too.
Stay away from anything played by In Flames since Reroute to Remain (reroute to remain included). It is absolute trash.
28.09.2006 - 16:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 06.07.2006 at 18:03

Graveland
Graveland
Graveland

Did you mena Polish pagan metal band where mamber same time arev Lord Wind mamber?
Yes thay are awsome band and so great
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.09.2006 - 16:55
Damnated
Churchburner
did my post got 'cancelled' ? or I completly missed this thread odd. anyways, I say to check out some melo black metal bands, see how you like them. for instance Mytic Circle, Borknagar, Naglfar, Catamenia, Anorexia Nervosa (JUST Drudenhaus),and some Dimmu Borgir, to name the ones you can get pretty easily. before I forget, try Ancient's Night Visit
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
30.09.2006 - 01:29
W-Lash
Metal Master
You have to listen viking stuff like Windir. It has got black metal instrumental part (and some part of vocals) but some vocals are clean.
30.09.2006 - 11:36
Warman
Erotic Stains
I believe that Satyricon are great to start with if you want to get into Black metal. Death metal is a little harder, Morbid Angel made me love Death metal but they are probably not the best band to start with
----
30.09.2006 - 11:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i recently started listening to some sepultura and death-and believe me i love em!!especially death- growls+ good instrumentation own!
plus catamenia is quite a good band-i think i'll go see them on the 6th october at bucharest metal nights 666(oftica-te damnated )
30.09.2006 - 21:56
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 30.09.2006 at 11:56

i recently started listening to some sepultura and death-and believe me i love em!!especially death- growls+ good instrumentation own!
plus catamenia is quite a good band-i think i'll go see them on the 6th october at bucharest metal nights 666(oftica-te damnated )

Sepultura is trash metal if im not totally incorrect...

Other than that yes Death is incredibly good
01.10.2006 - 18:52
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Valentin B on 30.09.2006 at 11:56

dude, defenetly go! and have a great time, for me too
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.03.2012 - 17:55
Necromantia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lia7gE31jJALordInfernusSabby666
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
11.03.2012 - 17:57
DJ Mythos
Clean vocals, can't go wrong with Primordial
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
11.03.2012 - 18:04
Branzig
Written by Lucas on 06.07.2006 at 17:43

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

This.

Anyone that is looking at first getting into BM has to start here I think.

Then maybe Emperor or Marduk...I had to listen the bands that were a little better produced before I could really appreciated the lo-fi beauty that I have come to love and prefer.

Then move on to the might of Ulver's "Natten," Darkthrone, Immortal, Taake, etc.

Oh, and for some good clean vox BM, check out Ulver's first 2 albums. Gooooood stuff with a lot of clean vox parts.
----
In Grind We Crust