Metal Storm logo
Best Band From Finland

Original post

Posted by Dreamwar_86, 06.07.2006 - 15:37
Finland is one of the best metal countries they have so many great metal bands and they have great styles like COB,ETOS,norther and kalmah and the folk, like Korpiklaani,Moonsorrow,Finntroll,Winrtersun etc. but give me your point of view what band do you think is better and why

for me it is Stratovarius its one of my favorite bands, i love everything on it , the vocals (Kotipelto is the best damn singer ever) , the guitars are just perfect, the keyboards too , bass and drums are outstanding, yes i know that most of the songs of Stratovarius have the same structure but i still love those guys;D

Poll

Whats your favorite band from finland and why

other...
Children Of Bodom
Nightwish
Moonsorrow
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Amorphis
Sentenced
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow

Total votes: 440
21.03.2009 - 00:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 04.07.2008 at 17:09

Anyone here heard Sami Lopakka's (Sentenced) new band KYPCK (trans: Kursk). Finnish doom with Russian lyrics. Great band.

Where can I hear this band?
Is it new one?
Its after Kursky sub mariene was drawn in Bering sea?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.03.2009 - 00:56
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I voted for other because imo the best band from Finland is Korpiklaani although there are so many awesome bands from Finland!
21.03.2009 - 02:52
Krankheit
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 21.03.2009 at 00:50

Written by Guest on 04.07.2008 at 17:09

Anyone here heard Sami Lopakka's (Sentenced) new band KYPCK (trans: Kursk). Finnish doom with Russian lyrics. Great band.

Where can I hear this band?
Is it new one?
Its after Kursky sub mariene was drawn in Bering sea?

You can listen to them on their myspace, http://www.myspace.com/kypck
The band was formed in 2007. And the band name is taken from the city Kursk, where one of the the greatest tank fights occured during WWII. And also after the submarine.
21.03.2009 - 14:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Omg...everyone knows Kursk sub and noone knows the WWII battle
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.03.2009 - 14:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 21.03.2009 at 14:25

Omg...everyone knows Kursk sub and noone knows the WWII battle

I know WWII battle, but Im not happy whit it
Im history student so I would hang my seld if I would know it
I mention sub because it was time when it drawn there in Berink see so it was more actual
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.03.2009 - 17:13
Biedrik
Wait, Turisas isn't an option? What a shame, as they're the best Finnish band.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
23.03.2009 - 00:42
mortjoyeux
OTHER!
Behexen and Beherit are both from Finland and they are the some of the best BM acts happening right now.
RAW BLACK METAL
THE OATH OF BLACK BLOOOD
23.03.2009 - 05:37
Derwood
Had to vote "Other" since Ensiferum isn't on the list. Iron is one of my all time favourite albums. Great band live, too.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
23.03.2009 - 12:26
Silentium
Account deleted
Voted for EToS, but also think that Amorphis realy great.
23.03.2009 - 15:22
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Ensiferum, though Nightwish (old), Children (old, too...), EToS, Kalmah, Finntroll, Moonsorrow and Turisas are amongst my favs from Finland. But Ensiferum has the brutal, the melodic, the epic and the beautiful all at the same time, so they got my vote...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
29.03.2009 - 17:18
ms68
This is stupid question because finland has more than 50 great bands. i voted others for kalmah
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
29.03.2009 - 18:27
ForeverDarkWoods
Had to vote other since the best Finnish bands are all black metal. Horna, Behexen, Beherit, Satanic Warmaster and Impaled Nazarene are all worthy of being up there much more so than the likes of Nightwish, COB, Stratovarius and Ensiferum.

But more underground bands will always draw less votes than the modern commercial bands, mo matter the actual quality, this is just the way it all works.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
29.03.2009 - 19:35
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 29.03.2009 at 18:27

Had to vote other since the best Finnish bands are all black metal. Horna, Behexen, Beherit, Satanic Warmaster and Impaled Nazarene are all worthy of being up there much more so than the likes of Nightwish, COB, Stratovarius and Ensiferum.

But more underground bands will always draw less votes than the modern commercial bands, mo matter the actual quality, this is just the way it all works.

You do the same . It has nothing to do with underground or not, because the bands which you mentioned aren't really underground, but it's a thing of different styles. You only mention black metal bands, others only mention power metal bands or folk metal bands or anything else and you can't really compare bands with different styles. Nobody can say "this is the best band from Finland!"
29.03.2009 - 22:46
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Diabolos on 29.03.2009 at 19:35

You do the same . It has nothing to do with underground or not, because the bands which you mentioned aren't really underground, but it's a thing of different styles. You only mention black metal bands, others only mention power metal bands or folk metal bands or anything else and you can't really compare bands with different styles. Nobody can say "this is the best band from Finland!"

No they're not really underground. They're still a lot less commercial than the bands on the list though. I personally see this kind of bands as the underappriciated best metal export from Finland though. Not just these bands though, but I used them as examples. There's a lot of other underappriciated bands from Finland, like Barathrum, Thy Serpent, Warloghe, Calvarium, Black Death Ritual and a bunch of other projects. I was using the aforementioned bands to refer to the forefront of the Finnish bm movement (IMO the best out of Finnish metal) rather than anything else.

There are other genres that also should receive more appriciation though. A lot of the Finnish doom metal bands outdo anything on that list. They've got fucking Unholy for fuck's sake...
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
29.03.2009 - 23:20
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 29.03.2009 at 22:46

No they're not really underground. They're still a lot less commercial than the bands on the list though. I personally see this kind of bands as the underappriciated best metal export from Finland though. Not just these bands though, but I used them as examples. There's a lot of other underappriciated bands from Finland, like Barathrum, Thy Serpent, Warloghe, Calvarium, Black Death Ritual and a bunch of other projects. I was using the aforementioned bands to refer to the forefront of the Finnish bm movement (IMO the best out of Finnish metal) rather than anything else.

There are other genres that also should receive more appriciation though. A lot of the Finnish doom metal bands outdo anything on that list. They've got fucking Unholy for fuck's sake...

I totally agree with that, but I think the only way to create such a poll is to get the most famous bands and a "other" option, because if you include the bands that aren't famous everybody votes for other . And although I have to agree that there are many good bands, I have to say that the most famous bands are very often also the best bands (not the bands I like the most, but overall the best). Ofcourse there are many overrated and underrated bands, but also if I'm not a big fan of (for example) Metallica I have to say that they are good with what they do and they deserve respect. The same here is with CoB, Nightwish and the other bands here in that poll.
30.03.2009 - 00:09
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Diabolos on 29.03.2009 at 23:20

I totally agree with that, but I think the only way to create such a poll is to get the most famous bands and a "other" option, because if you include the bands that aren't famous everybody votes for other . And although I have to agree that there are many good bands, I have to say that the most famous bands are very often also the best bands (not the bands I like the most, but overall the best). Ofcourse there are many overrated and underrated bands, but also if I'm not a big fan of (for example) Metallica I have to say that they are good with what they do and they deserve respect. The same here is with CoB, Nightwish and the other bands here in that poll.

I'm sure the big names are good for some people. I'm just a lot more comfortable digging into the underground. It's the kind of mudic discovering I do best, and it reveals to me the bands I usually come to like the most (most are on the more old-school side of things). The more commercial bands are just usually not as much for me, especially the modern groovy, really cheesy or poppy ones. I make some exceptions though. Some of the commercial bands have quality or are just plain fun to listen to. It's all about how you feel personally really, and I'm digging deeper into the underground than just about everyone I know IRL, but it doesn't make those people any worse, and I'd be an asshole for thinking that.

But you got to admit picking on faggy 13 year old emo kids with COB shirts is a kinda fun passtime.
----
30.03.2009 - 14:00
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 30.03.2009 at 00:09

Written by Diabolos on 29.03.2009 at 23:20

I'm sure the big names are good for some people. I'm just a lot more comfortable digging into the underground. It's the kind of mudic discovering I do best, and it reveals to me the bands I usually come to like the most (most are on the more old-school side of things). The more commercial bands are just usually not as much for me, especially the modern groovy, really cheesy or poppy ones. I make some exceptions though. Some of the commercial bands have quality or are just plain fun to listen to. It's all about how you feel personally really, and I'm digging deeper into the underground than just about everyone I know IRL, but it doesn't make those people any worse, and I'd be an asshole for thinking that.

But you got to admit picking on faggy 13 year old emo kids with COB shirts is a kinda fun passtime.

I agree to 99% of what you are saying (I'm also a big fan of many undergorund bands, and I like all the bands you listed except for Impaled Nazarene ), I only wanted to make clear that the bands in this poll all deserve to be there and Horna, Behexen, Beherit, Satanic Warmaster and Impaled Nazarene aren't better than them (only different).
30.03.2009 - 20:20
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Diabolos on 30.03.2009 at 14:00

I agree to 99% of what you are saying (I'm also a big fan of many undergorund bands, and I like all the bands you listed except for Impaled Nazarene ), I only wanted to make clear that the bands in this poll all deserve to be there and Horna, Behexen, Beherit, Satanic Warmaster and Impaled Nazarene aren't better than them (only different).

IMO they're better, but that's just personal opinion I guess.
----
30.03.2009 - 21:40
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Yeah, ofcourse it's just personal opinion, everybody here votes a specific band because of personal preference
17.09.2009 - 19:38
farmakon
Whispering Gloom
The best band from finland is Skepticism
19.10.2009 - 15:13
Kimiwind
Speed Metal God
I Choosed from the bands listed Moonsorrow !! but as i said in the ( best swedish metal thread ) there is no point to list 9 ot 10 bands !! i bet finland got over than 600 awesome and great bands that worth to follow and lisen !! we dont have to mention only those famous bands who are supported by good labels and commercial paths !! i would recommened better asking what is ur fav finnish band !! at least thats a fair for many great bands not listed out here !!
----
Wintermoon Calls you, Follow It And You Will Be Proud Forever.
08.07.2010 - 21:00
ExtraHachse
My favourite finnish band is Lordi and then Stratovarius
----
I like Powerwolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10.07.2010 - 00:14
Gamma_Ray
I think that Stratovarius is the best band from Finland, haven't heared any other though, except one Nightwish song.

Edit: Heard som Lordi too, they are pretty good.
----
Now I'm riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I'll cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
forever to be free
12.07.2010 - 01:53
SerratedSyringe
I voted other for Impaled Nazarene. As previously mentioned, Beherit and Behexen are worthy nominees as well.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
14.07.2010 - 01:23
lopper
I think Kalmah is the best band from Finland they just fucking rock:banger2:
----
Sing a song of living before everybody dies
14.07.2010 - 13:37
Scythe
I voted for others. Let's say a lot of bands are missing in the list. I would've voted for Ensiferum, Finntroll, Kalmah, Korpiklaani, Barathrum, Arthemesia or Insomnium!
17.07.2010 - 12:54
Autius
I voted other
for Norther
old norther though when Petri Lindroos fronted them
Fuck thier new frontman sucks.......
----
Som lyset forsvinner
mørket vokser
som lyset forsvinner
Vi Brenn i mørket
som lyset forsvinner
slutten morgener i nærheten
17.07.2010 - 14:28
batusay
Children of bodom one of he best bands ever.
----
Come inside and be afraid
Of this impressive mess I've made
If you take a look now you will find
PERFECT INSANITY
23.07.2010 - 03:20
whatsacow
Thergothon, Skepticism and finntroll are missing...
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
23.07.2010 - 03:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by whatsacow on 23.07.2010 at 03:20

Thergothon, Skepticism and finntroll are missing...

And Unholy and Tyranny and Pofetus and and and and
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996