Metal Storm logo
Best Band From Finland

Original post

Posted by Dreamwar_86, 06.07.2006 - 15:37
Finland is one of the best metal countries they have so many great metal bands and they have great styles like COB,ETOS,norther and kalmah and the folk, like Korpiklaani,Moonsorrow,Finntroll,Winrtersun etc. but give me your point of view what band do you think is better and why

for me it is Stratovarius its one of my favorite bands, i love everything on it , the vocals (Kotipelto is the best damn singer ever) , the guitars are just perfect, the keyboards too , bass and drums are outstanding, yes i know that most of the songs of Stratovarius have the same structure but i still love those guys;D

Poll

Whats your favorite band from finland and why

other...
Children Of Bodom
Nightwish
Moonsorrow
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Amorphis
Sentenced
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow

Total votes: 440
23.07.2010 - 03:35
whatsacow

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.07.2010 at 03:33

Written by whatsacow on 23.07.2010 at 03:20

Thergothon, Skepticism and finntroll are missing...

And Unholy and Tyranny and Pofetus and and and and

And shape of despair and... ... ... ... ... ... there are just way too many to list.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
23.07.2010 - 03:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by whatsacow on 23.07.2010 at 03:35

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.07.2010 at 03:33

Written by whatsacow on 23.07.2010 at 03:20

Thergothon, Skepticism and finntroll are missing...

And Unholy and Tyranny and Pofetus and and and and

And shape of despair and... ... ... ... ... ... there are just way too many to list.

Exactly

The list here is just mainstream metal. No black metal bands are on it either. Damn, no Clandestine Blaze,a lso no funeral doom master Stabat Mater etc etc
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.07.2010 - 16:15
Kennoth

As expected, a battle between CoB and NW (if you exclude the almighty Other),
----
*insert something deep and profound*
23.07.2010 - 19:41
Liquidus_Animus

Insomnium, Swallow the Sun, Kalmah, Mors Principium Est, Rapture. There's just so many OTHERS...
04.08.2010 - 08:46
ferm

Where is Thergoton? :'(
17.09.2010 - 11:16
Reza
Account deleted
Kalmah is my favorite band. I really like their music and IMO they are one of the best Melodeath bands in the world.
17.09.2010 - 14:51
Daniell
_爱情_
I suggest reneming the thread to "the best shit band from Finland", because some of the bands in the poll are just that - shit. EToS, Nightwish, CoB - they should have no place in a "best of " poll about Finland, or any poll for that matter. Most of the time they play pop that's somehow metallized, not real metal. The only good bands on that list are Moonsorrow, Sentenced (old) and Amorphis (old).
Otheris my choice then, and even then I'd be torn between Skepticism and Shape of Despair. And that's doom only. There are also lots of great black metal bands, Satanic Warmaster springs to mind immediately.
17.09.2010 - 14:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 17.09.2010 at 14:51

I suggest reneming the thread to "the best shit band from Finland", because some of the bands in the poll are just that - shit. EToS, Nightwish, CoB - they should have no place in a "best of " poll about Finland, or any poll for that matter. Most of the time they play pop that's somehow metallized, not real metal. The only good bands on that list are Moonsorrow, Sentenced (old) and Amorphis (old).
Otheris my choice then, and even then I'd be torn between Skepticism and Shape of Despair. And that's doom only. There are also lots of great black metal bands, Satanic Warmaster springs to mind immediately.

Sounds like elitism to me. Or whinging. Probably both.
17.09.2010 - 15:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
Now that was some epic hypocrisy from a guy who hates elitism.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.09.2010 - 17:32
Daniell
_爱情_
I dismissed 3 bands as shit, and mentioned 6 as good. Among those 6 good ones 3 are very well known, some even mainstream (Sentenced and Amorphis). Where's elitism here?

EDIT:
Hey Vezzydude, I at least listened to the crap I call crap...
17.09.2010 - 18:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Daniell on 17.09.2010 at 17:32

Hey Vezzydude, I at least listened to the crap I call crap...

So did I.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
18.09.2010 - 10:38
akvan

I love Turisas and Ensiferum from Finland , because of it i voted other
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
19.09.2010 - 15:38
ToMegaTherion

Its funny i used to really love the finnish metal scene. There are some amazing bands out of Finland, but also a lot of rubbish too. But i suppose thats the same everywhere any you can blame people for having a go. Finland has been a birth place of some outstanding metal my vote in this instance is pretty tough to place because none of my real favorites come from there. Basically all of the acts mentioned here are good bands. I voted other, because I thought Turisas are a band that could be a great band in the next few years
22.09.2010 - 01:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ToMegaTherion on 19.09.2010 at 15:38

Its funny i used to really love the finnish metal scene. There are some amazing bands out of Finland, but also a lot of rubbish too. But i suppose thats the same everywhere any you can blame people for having a go. Finland has been a birth place of some outstanding metal my vote in this instance is pretty tough to place because none of my real favorites come from there. Basically all of the acts mentioned here are good bands. I voted other, because I thought Turisas are a band that could be a great band in the next few years

interesting post, but if you give us examples what is outstanding bands and what is rubish from Fin
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.09.2010 - 03:01
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Nightwish. Holopainen is the best melody maker out there, even if he does only bother with half the songs on every album. If I had to choose the greatest metal song ever written, it would be The Poet and the Pendulum, nothing else even comes close. It is worth more to me than some other band's entire discography.
22.09.2010 - 13:29
Gurth Bennas

Hey why ensiferum and turisas and wintersun r not here! shit!!! they're just what I would to vote
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
23.09.2010 - 03:15
Bloody_Footprint

Voted Nightwish because they were first Fin band I ever heard and I still love all their Tarja era material. Otherwise, Wintersun or Swallow the Sun would've gotten it.
----
Neurosis and Metal since '87
24.09.2010 - 22:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I didnt remember for which band i voted in the past (i suspect Nightwish ) but nowadays it would be Moonsorrow by a thousand miles
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

24.09.2010 - 22:55
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted

I suggest reneming the thread to "the best shit band from Finland", because some of the bands in the poll are just that - shit. EToS, Nightwish, CoB - they should have no place in a "best of " poll about Finland, or any poll for that matter. Most of the time they play pop that's somehow metallized, not real metal.

Surprised that bands under big labels release catchy singles? Were you born the day after tomorrow?
24.09.2010 - 23:06
Daniell
_爱情_
I'm not surprised, I'm merely stating facts.
24.09.2010 - 23:34
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 24.09.2010 at 23:06

I'm not surprised, I'm merely stating facts.

The only fact is, that you can't tell the difference between pop and metal. And apparently you think the word "pop" is an insult. Moron.
24.09.2010 - 23:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
And have Cradle Of Filth among favorite bands...
----

25.09.2010 - 00:03
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 24.09.2010 at 23:40

Not to mention Opeth.
25.09.2010 - 00:15
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You say Opeth is a "pop" band?
----

25.09.2010 - 02:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 25.09.2010 at 00:03

Not to mention Opeth.

Opeth is swedish , I think 99.999999999% people knows it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.09.2010 - 03:39
RavenKing

I think the only band from Finland I'm listening to is Catamenia (until Location:Cold).

And most of the bands on the list are mainstream and barely metal, indeed, from my point of view.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
25.09.2010 - 03:42
RavenKing

See, we are all elitists in our own way. We all dismiss things as crap and label some things as pop.
The only difference is some of us are more purists, so there is more stuff we dislike and we have different visions of what is metal and what is not, so some things that are considered as metal for one person can be considered as pop by someone else.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
25.09.2010 - 10:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Bad English on 25.09.2010 at 02:15

Written by Guest on 25.09.2010 at 00:03

Not to mention Opeth.

and?
----

25.09.2010 - 11:58
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 25.09.2010 at 02:15

That's why I said NOT TO MENTION OPETH.
25.09.2010 - 12:00
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 25.09.2010 at 03:39

I think the only band from Finland I'm listening to is Catamenia (until Location:Cold).

And most of the bands on the list are mainstream and barely metal, indeed, from my point of view.

Mainstream metal is still metal. Genres have nothing to do with popularity and everything to do with music. If Cannibal Corpse sold a hundred times more that wouldn't make them pop. Because pop is in fact a genre of it's own with (great) bands such as R.E.M., The Cure, Poets of the Fall etc.