Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

859 users:
Band: Kreator
Album: Hordes Of Chaos
Style: Teutonic thrash metal
Release date: January 2009

Disc I
01. Hordes Of Chaos (A Necrologue For The Elite)
02. Warcurse
03. Escalation
04. Amok Run
05. Destroy What Destroys You
06. Radical Resistance
07. Absolute Misanthropy
08. To The Afterborn
09. Corpses Of Liberty
10. Demon Prince
+ Hordes Of Chaos [Video][Ultra Riot edition]
+ Destroy What Destroys You [Video][Ultra Riot edition]

Disc II [limited edition bonus DVD]
+ The making of 'Hordes of Chaos'
+ Awakening Of The Gods [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2006]
+ Coma Of Souls [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2006]
+ Hordes Of Chaos [video]

Disc II [Ultra Riot edition bonus CD]
01. Hordes of Chaos [demo]
02. Radical Resistance [demo]
03. To the Afterborn [demo]
04. World Without Religion [demo version of 'Escalation' - different arrangement]
05. Amok Run [demo]
06. Alle gegen Alle [demo][Slime cover featuring Nagel and Thees Ulmann]
07. You are the Government [demo][Bad Religion cover]
+ Poster
+ Ultra - Photobook
+ Sticker
+ Postcard
+ 5 ? discount code t-shirt

The more I listen to Kreator, the more I like this band and despite what some people can say, I really believe that they're among the best Metal bands (probably better than some famous US Thrash bands?). Their last release "Enemy Of God" was for me one of the best, if not the best, releases of the year 2005 and even if the band didn't do any break during four years, with a legion of live performances, re-edition, DVD etc I think that a lot of people were awaiting this new release. After all, nothing is better than a good old Thrashy release of the German masters especially if it's good and if you cannot be disappointed?. "Hordes Of Chaos" is just an excellent album and proves one more time that Kreator is a real hit machine!

"Hordes Of Chaos", the new Kreator is definitely darker than "Enemy Of God" and probably less easy of access. On a side even if the release features pure hits like "To The Afterborn" or "Hordes Of Chaos (A Necrologue For The Elite)", the whole album is dark and didn't give me the same feelings than "Enemy Of God". It's not really easy to explain it but if the previous release gave violent and revolutionary feelings, this one is more naughty and angry. When you'll listen to "Hordes Of Chaos", you'll become "evil", we don't laugh with this release (especially when you read the good lyrics). But "Hordes Of Chaos" is melodic nonetheless and for sure, this CD follow the road of the two last previous albums. If you don't like the new Kreator, I don't think that you'll like this release especially if you don't like melodic Thrash, but don't worry too, the amazing devastating riffs are still there and the guitars soli are better than ever. No really, the melodies of "Hordes Of Chaos" are great and all the songs of the album are pure blasts!

The production of the new release is really good one more time but probably a lot more direct and loud than on "Enemy Of God". As I know the band wanted something dynamic as possible and they recorded the album in live conditions which gives something a lot more powerful and direct of course. Though it doesn't mean that the sound is bad, at the opposite this is clean as hell but with a naughty angry side which is really pleasant and gives a lot of energy to the record. Despite the fact that the album is short (38 mins) and only features nine songs ("Corpses Of Liberty" is more like an introduction than a real song?), "Hordes Of Chaos" is a great release with fantastic performances by the musicians.

Maybe that "Enemy Of God" was a bit easier of access and featured more "hits" (like "Enemy Of God" or "Impossible Brutality" for example) but "Hordes Of Chaos" remains a great album of violent and aggressive German Thrash. If Kreator can still releases such kind of great albums after so many years, I don't really see what or who will stop them one day? If you like Kreator, "Hordes Of Chaos" is a must and the living proof that Mille and his mates, in addition to be great guys, are also fantastic musicians and compositors. It's good to begin the new year with this release, 2009 should be the year of Kreator one more time!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 13.01.2009

Comments

Comments: 69   Visited by: 570 users
13.01.2009 - 23:54
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
This album is leagues ahead of Enemy Of God, which was a mediocre album at best, in my opinion. Hordes Of Chaos recaptures the visceral, rip-your-jugular attitude of early Kreator while keeping it interesting with more modern thrash elements. Definitely one of the band's best albums.
14.01.2009 - 00:19
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by jupitreas on 13.01.2009 at 23:54

This album is leagues ahead of Enemy Of God, which was a mediocre album at best, in my opinion. Hordes Of Chaos recaptures the visceral, rip-your-jugular attitude of early Kreator while keeping it interesting with more modern thrash elements. Definitely one of the band's best albums.

Well, while I certainly agree with you about 'the visceral, rip-your-jugular attitude of early Kreator', I certainly don't consider Enemy of God to be a bad album, far from it. To my eyes, its only problem is to be similar to Violent Revolution while being a bit less inspired.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
14.01.2009 - 02:46
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I'll look forward to getting this. I've been looking for a good thrash album lately.
----
Coldgrits
14.01.2009 - 04:53
Rating: 7
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Hey, great review Jeff, I'm glad I had a few weeks of pre-listening before I read it too. I more often prefer my thrash to border on the melodic, ultra-catchy accessible style, so at first this disc was a disappointment to me. But upon a few more listens (in moods better suited for angrier thrash), this CD really opened up to me. "Enemy Of God" is still my choice because that's my taste, but this is a killer followup and shows the guys aren't stagnating, but continuing to push themselves. I think it will appeal to a lot of American or modern thrash fans too...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
14.01.2009 - 05:47
Rating: 10
thesabbathfan
Awesome

this is my perfect thrash album, its just GREAT.
----
14.01.2009 - 06:05
Rating: 9
mankvill
Kreator have set the bar fucking high for the rest of the year.
14.01.2009 - 06:34
Rating: 8
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
This album is definitely a great opening for 2009, I can see this since now as one of the best releases of the year.
I prefer this album over "Enemy Of God" and "Violent Revolution", I'm not saying that "Hordes Of Chaos" is better than those previous releases, each one is a different phase in this new part of the history of Kreator, and each one is truly great for me (I really like the new Kreator), but at this moment I think that Hordes really suits me. The must be proud of this new release, and I can assure that this is just the begining of greater times for this band.

By the way, I can't stop listening to "Demon Prince"! great song jejeje.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
14.01.2009 - 09:55
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Since i got the leaked version i couldnt stop listening to this master piece...cause Kreator but a new level for the thrash metal with this record ... cause simply "Hordes Of Chaos" ... is the best thrash record in the last 10 to 15 years...it is so aggressive and so melodic in the same time...and i believe if you will catch the fire of this album ....you will find that "Enemy of God" and "Violent Revolution" which was one of your favorites before...just a mediocre releases comparing to this one.

and for the review its so nice but i guess it deserve little higher ratings...

and... every one against every one ...
14.01.2009 - 11:39
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Nice review but not the correct rating for an amazing album. IMO the best Thrash Metal album of the last years. The way to play modern thrash. This album is just perfect...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
14.01.2009 - 12:57
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
This is certainly one of the better albums Kreator has come up with in many years (next to "Violent Revolution" of course). And while "Enemy Of God" (also a pretty good album) had "hits", it also had a few low points which almost sounded like fillers, while "Hordes Of Chaos" tends to be good all the way and really captivates me all album long.

Though I unashamedly laugh in the face of people saying this is a perfect masterpiece and/or best Thrash album in years.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
14.01.2009 - 15:19
Rating: 10
Nightbane
I prefer Enemy Of God over Hordes Of Chaos... Songs from EOG are more catchy to me. My favorite song from Hordes is Destroy What Destroys You!
----
Music saved my life
14.01.2009 - 16:46
Richard
elite
What's the limited edition bonus DVD like? Is the 'making of' the album feature worth seeing?
----
14.01.2009 - 17:10
Mort
Comparing to this amazing release all thrash in 2008 seems to be lousy despite Thryce's great job to make us think different:)
14.01.2009 - 17:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
I feel that album is already the single most overrated thrash album of 2009
It is decent, better than the immensely boring Enemy Of God, but to say it is brilliant is going way over the top imo. This one doesn't even come close to their classic releases.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.01.2009 - 17:36
Sunioj
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.01.2009 at 17:23

I feel that album is already the single most overrated thrash album of 2009
It is decent, better than the immensely boring Enemy Of God, but to say it is brilliant is going way over the top imo. This one doesn't even come close to their classic releases.

Yup. 100%. Though I heard it a few times and I am not going to listen to this again anytime soon.
14.01.2009 - 19:23
Charly546
Some good moments, but overall bad. They better not suck live.
14.01.2009 - 19:55
routa
Account deleted
Written by Charly546 on 14.01.2009 at 19:23

I've seen them thrice, they aren't all that to be honest (novadays of course, obviously I haven't experienced them at their peak). In fact, they outright sucked when they were here with Celtic Frost.
14.01.2009 - 20:33
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
I really don't find anything special on this album... Above average thrash album, but nothing more.
14.01.2009 - 20:53
Charly546
Written by Guest on 14.01.2009 at 19:55

I've seen them thrice, they aren't all that to be honest (novadays of course, obviously I haven't experienced them at their peak). In fact, they outright sucked when they were here with Celtic Frost.

Well, that's just great because I recently gave out a quite large sum of money to at least hear a "has-been-thrash-band-who-suck-nowadays-but-live-they-should-rule" band like Kreator live...

I better down my hopes from "Yay, thraaaash" to "Yay, time not wasted".
14.01.2009 - 21:00
routa
Account deleted
Written by Charly546 on 14.01.2009 at 20:53

Written by Guest on 14.01.2009 at 19:55

Well, that's just great because I recently gave out a quite large sum of money to at least hear a "has-been-thrash-band-who-suck-nowadays-but-live-they-should-rule" band like Kreator live...

I better down my hopes from "Yay, thraaaash" to "Yay, time not wasted".

Who knows, you might as well enjoy them. While I'm not alone with my opinion, many still seem to hold their shows in high regard. Keep an open mind & judge for yourself etc.
14.01.2009 - 22:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
It's good album. Kinda in the stream of Violent Revolution and Enemy of God, but what really irritated me at times was Millle's vocals

Quote:

Though I unashamedly laugh in the face of people saying this is a perfect masterpiece and/or best Thrash album in years.

And I'm backing this up.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
15.01.2009 - 13:29
Marfere
It's a great album....I didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised
15.01.2009 - 16:39
Ragana
Rawrcat
Well, as I'm not a Kreator fan (actually before this album I couldn't imagine why everybody likes Kreator), all I can say is that this release sounds good. Even for me. The first song in the album is very catchy, that gives a hope that all album will be +/- good, heh.

But still I'm not going to see them live.
16.01.2009 - 10:16
In Bone Factory
I expected more, but anyway in lack of thrash metal these days, it's like a bottle of water in a dry desert.
my rate is: 8/10
----
The End Is Nigh ...
17.01.2009 - 01:23
Damnated
Churchburner
Incredibly over rating review. this new album is mediocre at best, usually recycled old songs. pass.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.01.2009 - 15:53
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Damnated on 17.01.2009 at 01:23

Incredibly over rating review. this new album is mediocre at best, usually recycled old songs. pass.

This is the total thrash album! The lyrics are gruesome....!!!!!!!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.01.2009 - 23:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I didn't think it was that good to be honest. It certainly isn't special. But then again no-one is refering to it as a masterpiece right? People say it's a solid album.

I have rated this album with a 7. I think it has great bits here and there, I seem to enjoy "amok run" and "destroy what destroys you" a lot.

It is aggressive, it is thrash but it isn't particularly memorable for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.01.2009 - 13:49
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
After "Enemy Of God" and "Violent Revolution", the thing I find most disappointing about this album are the lyrics. I can deal with a change of sound and new elements to a wornout style, but I can never forgive a band that suddenly stop paying attention to good lyrics. Most of the songs sound like Mille just listened to a few of their old records and then wrote all songs in one day. More like the album of a band of angry 16yos than the new masterpiece of a long-established quality band.
----
18.01.2009 - 18:26
HardSide
Enemy of god definately had better lyrics, however this album is more catchy and brings back the band to the old days I beleive, but is it better then Enemy of God? In my opinion, no its not, is that a bad thing? No, its a good thrash metal none the less, is it the best in the past 5 years? Unfortunately no
18.01.2009 - 22:53
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by corrupt on 18.01.2009 at 13:49

After "Enemy Of God" and "Violent Revolution", the thing I find most disappointing about this album are the lyrics. I can deal with a change of sound and new elements to a wornout style, but I can never forgive a band that suddenly stop paying attention to good lyrics. Most of the songs sound like Mille just listened to a few of their old records and then wrote all songs in one day. More like the album of a band of angry 16yos than the new masterpiece of a long-established quality band.

Lyrics of EoG had bigger variety. But the new lyrics are just IN the reallity. Kreator see that people must wake up and see what's happening in the world. And they focus on that. But you can't say the lyrics are not well writen. They are a bit more "catchy". I think Kreator wrote lyrics to fit them in live situations and IMO they did it very well.
----

Hits total: 14895 | This month: 38