Metal Storm logo
Deathstars

Original post

Posted by Arwen, 07.07.2006 - 08:14
I wanted to ask people their opinion about that band, cause I was pleasantly chocked when I saw them a week afgo in Estonia when they performed in Hard Rock Laager. A band consisting of 5 young boys ( maybe not so young anymore ) Synthetic Gothic ,dark music with beautiful and deep vocals. AS much as I could tell, they're amazing and have lots of individual issues in their music, even the topics enbrace more the vival things and concern all the people. I'm just searching information about them and trying to get to know them, but I'm sure that I won't dissapoint in them.

The new generation as they say they are...Synthetic generation...

What do you think?
29.12.2008 - 01:27
VPeter
All tough I like Deathstar's music, why must they act so overall gay and lame on stage?
29.12.2008 - 19:35
kkktookmybaby
Written by VPeter on 29.12.2008 at 01:27

All tough I like Deathstar's music, why must they act so overall gay and lame on stage?

that is a tough question
but there must be a reason that people accuse them of copying marilyn manson, who isnt the most straight person onstage either
04.01.2009 - 14:29
Hellkommando
I like the Deathstars, I think their stuff is quality but I have never seen them on stage, lol.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
04.01.2009 - 14:42
Abattoir
Staff
Written by VPeter on 29.12.2008 at 01:27

Yea, that is definitely true Especially the lead singer...
06.01.2009 - 18:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'll see them live for the third time in February! Can't wait! Shitty Sonic Syndicate is supporting, couldn't care less. And I'll certainly buy the "gold edition" of the new album (and then have it signed). A good beginning of 2009 so far.
----
15.01.2009 - 11:52
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Boy I sure do hate this band... Seriously, if I had the opportunity I'd choke all of them to death. I'm sorry for being so blunt about this
----
Coldgrits
16.01.2009 - 19:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by -DC-002- on 15.01.2009 at 11:52

Boy I sure do hate this band... Seriously, if I had the opportunity I'd choke all of them to death. I'm sorry for being so blunt about this

As far as you can put a good explanation to your toughts... Then I'll respect your opinion no matter what :p
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.01.2009 - 01:03
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.01.2009 at 19:12

Written by -DC-002- on 15.01.2009 at 11:52

As far as you can put a good explanation to your toughts... Then I'll respect your opinion no matter what :p

they just have qualities of a band that have always put the most annoyed rage into me The look, the shitty Marilyn Manson like vocals. and the weird Industrial Gothic Metal noise they make. that's it at a basic level. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything though. extreme prejudice never helps anyone or anything
----
Coldgrits
17.01.2009 - 17:48
Warman
Erotic Stains
After listening to complex music like Opeth for months I gave "Synthetic Generation" a spin again. It has been collecting dust for way to long. But damn, was it good! Easy listening, a masterpiece of catchy choruses! I mean, it sounds better now than when I first heard it years ago! I always give "Termination Bliss" a regular listen so no news there. But I seriously had to change my vote for SG from a 7 (I was really tired of it for a while) to a 9!
----
17.01.2009 - 18:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by -DC-002- on 17.01.2009 at 01:03

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything though. extreme prejudice never helps anyone or anything

No man... It's always good to say why you like/dislike something. I just wanted to know you're opinion more deppely since I don't really like people who dislike something without saying why.

This could have been a thread for another band and I would ask you for an explanation anyway
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.01.2009 - 19:39
Slayer666
Deathstars aren't bad. They are like a Gothic version of Rammstein. They somewhat copy Cradle of Filth's image, though.
Things I don't like about them are the vocals, being a bit too soft and a rather dumb name. As I said, they are bit too soft for me to get more seriously into them, but an 7/10 overall. Not bad.
26.01.2009 - 20:24
Ragana
Rawrcat
I can't stand Deathstars. Dunno why... no, maybe I do. They're looking kinda silly, their music is not enjoyable because it reminds me weird pop-songs and I dislike the vocals (that voice sounds too freaky).
I liked one song which I haven't heard for at least year or so, called "Blitzkrieg". It had terrible chorus.
28.01.2009 - 01:18
albatros
I met them first time 2006 on one of the bigger open airs. They played a great gig and we had a lot of fun. I was so much enjoying myself that I barely took notice what they look like. It's absolutely irrelevant.
They do for me now, what The Sisters of Mercy did 20 years ago or so, just with less ado.

They are not as inflated and screechy as Cradle Of Filth and you don't have to wait long hours for the bombastic and catchy parts to come like with Dimmu Borgir. Good job from start to end.
29.01.2009 - 19:31
Slayer666
Written by albatros on 28.01.2009 at 01:18

I met them first time 2006 on one of the bigger open airs. They played a great gig and we had a lot of fun. I was so much enjoying myself that I barely took notice what they look like. It's absolutely irrelevant.
They do for me now, what The Sisters of Mercy did 20 years ago or so, just with less ado.

They are not as inflated and screechy as Cradle Of Filth and you don't have to wait long hours for the bombastic and catchy parts to come like with Dimmu Borgir. Good job from start to end.

This is simply out of curiosity, but why compare them to CoF and Dimmu Borgir?
30.01.2009 - 01:17
Warman
Erotic Stains
17 hours and 45 minutes left till I have it signed in my hand! I can't wait!!! I'm so excited I'm thinking of telling my friend that I am to tired to drink with him afterwards. Naah, that won't work and he'll never believe it. When have the Warman ever turned down alcohol? But I wanna hear it so bad!!!
----
30.01.2009 - 22:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Ragana on 26.01.2009 at 20:24

(that voice sounds too freaky).

And you like Shining?
----
Rod, let me love you.
31.01.2009 - 17:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
The new album is awesome! I bought the gold edition yesterday and got it signed by the band. Whiplasher and Nödtveidt told me to bring them booze the next time.
I have listened to the album like three times now. Just one more before I give it my vote.
"Blood Staines Blondes" and "The Fuel Ignites" are damn catchy songs BTW.
----
01.02.2009 - 08:06
albatros
Written by Slayer666 on 29.01.2009 at 19:31

Questions like yours are never asked just out of curiosity. Just go and tell me why you think I'm stupid.

... because all these bands are in the "Painted-clowns-make-music-that-is-not-totally-intolerable" business.

Because of your question I checked the band connections at the bottom of the Deathstars' band profile on Metalstorm and guess which two bands appear at the top of the list ? So I wasn't off the mark too far.

ps: I just saw, that you like Cradle Of Filth. I didn't want to offend your taste. I just wanted to point out what I personally like about the Deathstars.
01.02.2009 - 21:09
Slayer666
Written by albatros on 01.02.2009 at 08:06

Written by Slayer666 on 29.01.2009 at 19:31

Questions like yours are never asked just out of curiosity. Just go and tell me why you think I'm stupid.

... because all these bands are in the "Painted-clowns-make-music-that-is-not-totally-intolerable" business.

Because of your question I checked the band connections at the bottom of the Deathstars' band profile on Metalstorm and guess which two bands appear at the top of the list ? So I wasn't off the mark too far.

ps: I just saw, that you like Cradle Of Filth. I didn't want to offend your taste. I just wanted to point out what I personally like about the Deathstars.

I don't think you're stupid. If I did, I'd say something like this: "You're stupid". But I didn't say that, did I? But I appreciate you being so direct.
Now, to the matter at hand. I just asked because their music has apsolutely nothing in common. The only songs I like from Deathstars are Tongues (can't get this one out of my head for days now) and Blitzkrieg, the rest are... dull, at best, so you shouldn't really consider me a part of that list.
No, no offense taken. Just wanted to know why do you compare them.
02.02.2009 - 00:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
"Night Electric Night" is more than I expected. Deathstars has done it again, no question about it!
----
03.02.2009 - 19:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Warman on 02.02.2009 at 00:44

"Night Electric Night" is more than I expected. Deathstars has done it again, no question about it!

Yeah... I have only checked their Myspace. But It really sounds good and catchy as hell.
One more album in my list...
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.02.2009 - 15:51
albatros
Written by Slayer666 on 01.02.2009 at 21:09

I don't think you're stupid. If I did, I'd say something like this: "You're stupid". But I didn't say that, did I? But I appreciate you being so direct.
Now, to the matter at hand. I just asked because their music has apsolutely nothing in common. The only songs I like from Deathstars are Tongues (can't get this one out of my head for days now) and Blitzkrieg, the rest are... dull, at best, so you shouldn't really consider me a part of that list.

I gave a little more thought to your original question. I don't think, that Dimmu Borgir or respective Cradle Of Filth and Deathstars have nothing in common musically.

Deathstars are lacking the Black Metal element and instead are featuring a strong industrial flavour, which is missing with the other two bands in question. Is that correct ?

However, I think, the common property of all three bands is, that their music is bizarre, eerie and sinister enough to frighten and scare off common people like e.g. parents, while on the other hand it is still catchy and melodic enough to give that warm feeling in the stomach, that also comes from, say a "teddy-bear" or so.

This makes these bands suitable for individuals, that are deviating away from mainstream enough, that they are seeking some mild horror in their preferred music, yet not misanthropic enough to select from the rich choice of really brutal bands.

I don't know, if my little analysis will withstand deeper scrutiny, but I think, this is the reason why I without giving much thought to it compared those three bands.
05.02.2009 - 20:45
Slayer666
Written by albatros on 05.02.2009 at 15:51

Written by Slayer666 on 01.02.2009 at 21:09

I gave a little more thought to your original question. I don't think, that Dimmu Borgir or respective Cradle Of Filth and Deathstars have nothing in common musically.

Deathstars are lacking the Black Metal element and instead are featuring a strong industrial flavour, which is missing with the other two bands in question. Is that correct ?

However, I think, the common property of all three bands is, that their music is bizarre, eerie and sinister enough to frighten and scare off common people like e.g. parents, while on the other hand it is still catchy and melodic enough to give that warm feeling in the stomach, that also comes from, say a "teddy-bear" or so.

This makes these bands suitable for individuals, that are deviating away from mainstream enough, that they are seeking some mild horror in their preferred music, yet not misanthropic enough to select from the rich choice of really brutal bands.

I don't know, if my little analysis will withstand deeper scrutiny, but I think, this is the reason why I without giving much thought to it compared those three bands.

Warmth in the stomach that comes from a "teddy-bear"? Original, I must say.
The analysis is good, I'd say. I consider Dimmu Borgir "Top Overrated Crap # 3" right behind Metallica and Opeth, so they are out of the question. Besides, CoF's early albums are more than "brutal" (as you called it) enough. The last thing I want to do with my music is scare my parents (although it is kinda nice seeing their reaction to Mayhem or Dark Funeral), just so you know.
I don't know why I like or dislike something. There is no reason, like saying "great melody, tottaly brutal...." . I just like it, or I don't. That goes for everything.
PS. I bet you had something in mind when you mentioned "brutal" bands. What would that be?
06.02.2009 - 01:58
Warman
Erotic Stains
Just saw them for the third time. Best one so far I must say. Such great energy and contact with the audience. Bought a very nice hoodie. The opening band though made me see red and everyone else in the audience sleepy. I have never ever experienced such an inappropriate opening. I'm serious, bands like Blink 182 would be a more fitting choice. They're called The Other Flesh, look up their myspace and hear for yourself. Some kind of Jazz with Rock touches here and there.

But Deathstars seriously rocked me and their asses off! The new songs were by far the highlight. "Death Dies Hard", "The Fuel Ignites" and "Blood Stains Blondes" were AWESOME! The last one will probably be a live classic with the audience singing the "EEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEE OOOOOO" part.

Setlist:

Night Electric Night
The Mark of the Gun
The Last Ammunition
New Dead Nation
Motherzone
Semi-Automatic
Trinity Fields
Blitzkrieg Boom
Chertograd
Virtue to Vice
Blood Stains Blondes
The Fuel Ignites
Tounges
Cyanide
Death Dies Hard
The Revolution Exodus
----
06.02.2009 - 19:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Warman on 06.02.2009 at 01:58

Setlist:

Blitzkrieg Boom

Damn... that song must be a fucking bomb live.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.02.2009 - 21:26
albatros
Written by Slayer666 on 05.02.2009 at 20:45

The analysis is good, I'd say. I consider Dimmu Borgir "Top Overrated Crap # 3" right behind Metallica and Opeth, so they are out of the question.

haha, that made me laugh because you're using these technical terms for your bashing. Like you need some professional structure in your insults.
In general I think it's wrong to diss bands, that have made so many people happy, but in particular Opeth do absolutely nothing for me and therefore I'm glad, that I'm not the only one.

The last thing I want to do with my music is scare my parents (although it is kinda nice seeing their reaction to Mayhem or Dark Funeral), just so you know.

Your enjoying their reaction, so I still suspect, that I didn't hit too far from home.

PS. I bet you had something in mind when you mentioned "brutal" bands. What would that be?

A few years ago I noticed, that some young gentlemen became followers of Cannibal Corpse to demonstrate to society their enhanced brutality, as e.g. compared against the fairly amiable Children Of Bodom kiddies. So it was them, that I had in mind. Sorry in case you are disappointed by now. I don't know many brutal bands.
If I underestimated Cradle Of Filth's brutality, than that might be, because I've met too many friendly young people, who had "Cradle Of Filth" handwritten on their jeans bags. They used to wait in the same queues like I did, just in case you're wondering.

Sorry, I'm aware, this is not a forum for my metal-sociological theories. My apologies. I positively like Deathstars. I just enjoyed this conversation and got carried away.
06.02.2009 - 21:46
Slayer666
Written by albatros on 06.02.2009 at 21:26

The analysis is good, I'd say. I consider Dimmu Borgir "Top Overrated Crap # 3" right behind Metallica and Opeth, so they are out of the question.

haha, that made me laugh because you're using these technical terms for your bashing. Like you need some professional structure in your insults.
In general I think it's wrong to diss bands, that have made so many people happy, but in particular Opeth do absolutely nothing for me and therefore I'm glad, that I'm not the only one.

The last thing I want to do with my music is scare my parents (although it is kinda nice seeing their reaction to Mayhem or Dark Funeral), just so you know.

Your enjoying their reaction, so I still suspect, that I didn't hit too far from home.

A few years ago I noticed, that some young gentlemen became followers of Cannibal Corpse to demonstrate to society their enhanced brutality, as e.g. compared against the fairly amiable Children Of Bodom kiddies. So it was them, that I had in mind. Sorry in case you are disappointed by now. I don't know many brutal bands.
If I underestimated Cradle Of Filth's brutality, than that might be, because I've met too many friendly young people, who had "Cradle Of Filth" handwritten on their jeans bags. They used to wait in the same queues like I did, just in case you're wondering.

Sorry, I'm aware, this is not a forum for my metal-sociological theories. My apologies. I positively like Deathstars. I just enjoyed this conversation and got carried away.

Nah, they don't mind. Right?
So, anyway I'm glad I found a fellow Opeth hater/disliker too. I think my structural insults make my insults even crueler, and that's the point.
I'm afraid I didn't really understand that part with CoF, so if you don't mind, I'd like it explained again.
And, yes, it's really nice seeing them running out of the house screaming even worse than vocalists of those bands.
08.02.2009 - 16:11
albatros
Written by Slayer666 on 06.02.2009 at 21:46

I'm afraid I didn't really understand that part with CoF, so if you don't mind, I'd like it explained again.

I meant to say, that I've never thought of Cradle Of Filth as a brutal band, not the least because I met quite a number of their fans on concerts for other harmless, nice and melodic metal bands. While we were waiting for the doors of the hall to go open I could often study the musical preferences of the people around me from their clothing and various accessoires.

I saw them life once in 2005, which wouldn't change that impression either. I wanted to see Moonspell, who were supporting them and who are another band, that is popular with DEATHSTARS fans.

And, yes, it's really nice seeing them running out of the house screaming even worse than vocalists of those bands.

They are raising a monster. I knew.
08.02.2009 - 21:28
Slayer666
Written by albatros on 08.02.2009 at 16:11

I meant to say, that I've never thought of Cradle Of Filth as a brutal band, not the least because I met quite a number of their fans on concerts for other harmless, nice and melodic metal bands. While we were waiting for the doors of the hall to go open I could often study the musical preferences of the people around me from their clothing and various accessoires.

I saw them life once in 2005, which wouldn't change that impression either. I wanted to see Moonspell, who were supporting them and who are another band, that is popular with DEATHSTARS fans.

They are raising a monster. I knew.

Now, that's just stereotyping people! How can you possibly know what music they listen to from their looks? Judging from my look, you could never, never conclude what I'm into.
A monster... Yeah...
08.02.2009 - 23:06
albatros
Written by Slayer666 on 08.02.2009 at 21:28

Now, that's just stereotyping people!

True, but I think, this is what the world is like.

You (or at least I) never understand a person or a thing or a phenomenon in its full entirety. Man (and occassionally woman) is observing and building a theory around these observations and then the theory is tested against the experiment. If the theory is useless it gets thrown away. So I think all of our western culture is based on stereotyping. I think stereotyping is just another word for building a simplified model in order to understand the world.

Written by Slayer666 on 08.02.2009 at 21:28

How can you possibly know what music they listen to from their looks?

Uhm, many metalheads still follow the tradition to publish their musical tastes in plain language somewhere on their body. Me included. Even in the office. Their forms of expression are plenty: a tattoo on the head, or a T-Shirt with the band name in bold letters, or a handwritten "Cradle Of Filth" or "Children Of Bodom" remark on a jeans-handbag or rucksack, or patches, or buttons, or maybe a long evening robe if the young lady is about to face a gothic band .. so I think it's not that hard.

Finally I ended up classifying Cradle Of Filth as a band, that suits the need of young people, who enjoy a mild shock effect in their music but don't want to stray too far off the beaten path.