Metal Storm logo
Doom:VS interview (01/2009)

With: Johan Ericson [All Instruments]
Conducted by: Mariamne (e-mail)
Published: 23.01.2009

Band profile:

Doom:VS

- Most people know you because of your work in Draconian, do you think that this is a good introduction for your personal project?

Yes, it really gives me some attention for my DOOM:VS project.

- But Doom:vs and Draconian are not the only "bands" you are in. In how many bands or projects are you involved? Can you comment us something about them?

Oh, I lost the count. There have been so many projects over the years. Many of them are not serious at all and have not ended up with a proper release. Just having some fun recording stuff with friends or by myself. My taste in music is so wide so this gives me the opportunity to explore them all in a way.

- When did you started writing for Doom:vs?

It all started in December of 2003. I give myself these deadlines sometimes to finish off projects. And this I remember was to be finished by Christmas and it resulted in the demo "Empire of the Fallen". The idea was to make the most of the first riffs that comes to mind and it still is.

- How would you define the doom music you create for Doom:VS?

Very difficult, melodic doom influenced by death bands rather than classic doom bands. More like Mourning Beloveth than let's say Candlemass.

- How is the writing process? Do you have an idea and then develope it for one band or to other...tell us a bit about it.

It's like a mentioned earlier, I usually make a song based on the first doom type riff I come up with. Then work from there. I record everything and then I work on the arrangement on the computer.

- Do you found it easier to work with a group of people or by your own?

No, not really. I prefer to work on my own. I haven't met the ultimate writing partner yet. It would be great to find some one that have the same idea of creating music to work with. Someone who can give creative suggestions and solutions for each song.

- Well, your second album Dead Words Speak has been out for about 3 months. What are the reactions so far, how has it been received?

It have been received quite good, a few people seems to prefer the previous album "Aeternum Vale" before this one but I think I've won over a lot of new listeners that are in to more heavy type of doom. The reviews over all have been better I must say.

- I personaly think it's heavier and darker than your debut album Aeternum Vale, with more intense funeral doom soundscapes. It no longer reminds me to Draconian melodies, in fact some compositions brought me forth memories of Mourning Beloveth and My Dying bride. Was this the sound you were looking for since the beginning? Are you happy with the result?

Yes, I think that this was the combination I was searching for all along. The idea is always to make the albums as dark and heavy as possible but every time I can't resist throwing in some melodic stuff and then it changes the overall feel immediately.

- Tell us a little bit about how this record came to be. Is it true that you recorded it in Draconian's rehearsal room?

Yes, I got a small studio there where I usually go and write all music. I try to upgrade the equipment as I go along. Studio gear is very expensive if you want the good stuff so luckily I have the things I want by the year 2050, haha!

- How is dealing with all the aspects of an album; compostion, performance, production?

It's all a part of what I enjoy doing. I only have one real interest in life and that's music and for the last five years or so it has lean towards music production rather than making or just listening to music. So enjoy mixing the album the most.

- How long it took you to record both albums?

I usually write the music quite fast and make some sketches of the songs. This time I wrote the album in a few weeks. Then I recorded it when I had the time. So I think it was finished in four months or so.

- The contract you signed with firedoom was for two albums, right? Do you plan to record further albums?

Yeah, I think I got one or two albums left in me for the DOOM:VS project. Than I think I will have to move on to different things. You never know. I'm looking at possible deals at the moment.

- Have you ever thought about making Doom:VS a live band?

No, it will not happen.

- How do you see the future of Doom:vs?

Let's see, I will concentrate on the new DRACONIAN album for now then maybe record the next DOOM:VS right after the new DRACONIAN one. It depends on the record company situation.

- And what are your near future plans?

I hope to continue touring with Draconian. Are you getting a good response from the audience? Yes, we're having a great crowd at the shows, especially in the Eastern countries and Israel.

- Just one more question to finish. Is there any band or album you have discovered recently that you'd recommend to Metal Storm readers?

Nah, can't think of any new discoveries.

Thank you so much.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 262 users
24.01.2009 - 09:37
FOOCK Nam

The Dead Words Speak is very good one. I enjoy it even more than Draconian, sadly he will never play live
24.01.2009 - 10:23
GT
Coffee!!
Interesting interview. Might have to give it a try
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
24.01.2009 - 13:35
Umideath

Yeah good interview.Johan is a big man.
I like works.
----
My Top 90 Metal Albums Of 2023 - Part 2 >> https://youtu.be/6Yi7zV9Xo58 - Part 1
https://youtu.be/8F0E_CAfmMM
24.01.2009 - 18:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Cool int. I like this projecy and I hope hear new work, realy good one, we need more ints whit doom babds
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.01.2009 - 21:30
Mariamne

Written by Bad English on 24.01.2009 at 18:49

Cool int. I like this projecy and I hope hear new work, realy good one, we need more ints whit doom babds

I'll do what is in my hands to have more btw, thanks for the comment.
24.01.2009 - 22:16
Mariamne

Written by GT on 24.01.2009 at 10:23

Interesting interview. Might have to give it a try

Yes, you should
24.01.2009 - 23:59
Jason W.
Razorbliss
It's always interesting to learn how someone's writing process is and what their favorite part of the writing/studio/production parts are The latest Doom:vs disc is a much better one than the first to me too...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
02.02.2009 - 10:52
|pyro|

Just checked myspace, I really really like it, more then draconian, but I cant find the CD anywere , ah im sad
03.02.2009 - 17:48
Glabrezu

Nice interview and nice project too! It's more Doom-Death rather Draconian's Gothic-Doom, and I love both styles. The singular thing is that I'm starting to play in a band with female vocals, but if I should start a one-man project, I should play Black-Doom or Doom-Death oriented music like Johan :-)
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
18.02.2009 - 20:53
Dest

Awesome to hear he is thinking about writing more albums!
The two albums are quite amazing, this guy is very talented.

Just a shame he won't be touring for DOOM:VS, but understandable
19.10.2009 - 03:07
Ronnyer

He is great, good band doom:vs
08.06.2012 - 17:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Superior to anything he has done with Draconian.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.06.2012 - 17:13
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Haha I didn't even know he was part of Doom VS. He stays in Saffle a village that I was in for a while. Hung out with him and Daniel from Draconian for a bit. I met him when I walked into the store he worked at and he noticed that I was wearing a russian circles tee. I prefer Doom VS over Draconian as well.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
10.06.2012 - 04:57
BreadGod
Account deleted
I remember listening to Doom:vs a long time ago. They were pretty good.

Hits total: 13343 | This month: 4