05. Kingdom For A Heart
06. Fullmoon
07. Letter To Dana
08. Unopened
09. Picturing The Past
10. Destruction Preventer
11. Mary-Lou [Japanese bonus]
12. Letter To Dana (Returned To Sender) [2008 remaster bonus]

Hailing from Finland, Sonata Arctica was one of the revelations of the year 1999 . The young band played very fast tempo melodies [the so-called speed metal], enhanced by splendid keyboards and breathtaking guitar lines. "Ecliptica" was their first full-length album and was the beginning of the arctic phenomenon.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that more than the musical performance shown throughout the entire album, the most important aspect of "Ecliptica" is the songs themselves. Every track on that album is catchy as it can be, the choruses are grand, the solos fantastic and innovative, even the vocals rule. I mean, anyone who listened to that album at some point has to remember at least two or three songs of "Ecliptica" nowadays, and that without being necessary a fan of the band.

The opening track 'Blank File' has it all: speed, beauty, power... but the following song 'My Land' is really one of the killers of the album. From beginning to end, that song is both heavy and extremely melodic, shaping a unique atmosphere around it. Needless to say, Tony Kakko [keyboards] and Jani Liimatainen [guitars] add another layer of enlightment to the song with their solos. It's really a must!

Another great song is the ballad 'Replica', which features the best vocal performance by Tony Kakko. Once again, the perfect harmony between keys and guitars is delicious. Finally, how to talk about "Ecliptica" without mentioning its single 'Full Moon'? I remember the day when I first heard that song for the first time on a French radio, thinking that I ought to get an album with such a song on it. Well guys, if you don't know that one, I wonder why you're reading that review today! All other tracks would deserve more words, but I don't want to say too much about that album. My piece of advise is: enjoy the pleasure of discovery.

"Ecliptica" is a very good album, with great songs and it was an innovative album in 1999. In my opinion, this album is way much better than Sonata Arctica's next album, "Silence". Whilst "Silence" has a better production, "Ecliptica" has a better atmosphere and overall more interesting compositions.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 01.10.2003 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 208 users
07.07.2006 - 17:43
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I agree with Dream_Taster when he says that the most important aspect of the album are the songs themselves, yes, every track is excellent, they show the deepest escence of the band, the lyrics they have are really good, some songs make me think in many things about life... like "My Land", "Full Moon", "Blank File", "Unopened" and "Replica", this last, the ballad of the album which gives to it something different and excellent

I also agree with the fact that this is the best album from the band, I feel more musical quality in this one, better drums and guitars and of course the keyboards! excellent management, the lyrical content is also better here

If you like Power Metal, you must have this album, if you want to know more about Power Metal, you should start with this one, it'd be my first recommendation to someone who wants to get in in this metal genre
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
16.08.2006 - 11:29
The Mu-Mu Thing.
Account deleted
Good written review, though I don't agree with Ecliptica being better than Silence.. But well, it's subjective.
I remember I've heard the "Full Moon" years ago and it was the first time I've heard of Sonata Arctica.. I loved the song! Well, nowadays I don't like it that much anymore, but it's true I'm not listening to power anymore too.. But about a month ago, I've inserted this CD in a player again and it was nice listening to SA again.
Anyway, it's a very good album, my favourite songs would be: Replica, Kingdom For A Heart, Blank File and Letter To Dana - my favourite ballad, I think. Oh yes, and Unopened is a good one too!
The album is just a must for all the power metal fans!
06.12.2006 - 04:20
Talvi

Don't think the band will be better than this. Not that the album is soo good, of course...
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
13.12.2006 - 00:46
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
terrible album. They brought the lameness and cheesieness of power metal to a new level with this one.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.04.2007 - 19:05
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Great album, great review.
27.06.2007 - 03:19
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Ecliptica

Ecliptica

One of the revelations of the Power Metal... ¡¡¡
11.02.2008 - 23:21
Rating: 10
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Great debut for Sonata Arctica... I can't say I enjoy the abum completely though... Too many ballads.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
12.02.2008 - 00:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
somehow this album havent impressed me that much...Fullmoon or Replica are great songs, but i cant remember any other track - noone was interesting enough for me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

27.03.2008 - 00:58
Rating: 7
AnarChrist

Written by Doc G. on 13.12.2006 at 00:46

terrible album. They brought the lameness and cheesieness of power metal to a new level with this one.

I am going to add an "!" to this sentence.
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
27.03.2008 - 02:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by AnarChrist on 27.03.2008 at 00:58

Wow, I posted that a while ago. My opinions haven't changed though. "Celine Dion Metal" is what I like to call it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.08.2008 - 02:47
BlankFile

Grandious debut album of Sonata Arctica with classic songs, like My Land, 8th Commandement, Replica, Fullmoon, Destruction Preventer, and off course my favourite of the album: BlankFile. Definitly this album brought something new to the genre, well it made quite an impact in my music World. Stay Metal people |m|
28.01.2009 - 06:28
Narloth

A great album, very positive and powerful! And it's a rare case when the debut album is the best one in the band's discography
Written by AnarChrist on 27.03.2008 at 00:58

Guys, are you allergic to cheese? Never listen to Freedom Call then. Run whenever you see it, mighty warriors!
12.02.2009 - 20:42
Rating: 9
Morphis

I like power metal. There was a time that all i listen to was power metal and this one in particular still rocks for me today.
All the songs for me are really great the alignment is perfect how do u rate an album that u still enjoy after 8 years?!
20.08.2011 - 15:07
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Good album, but the vocalist is very annoying at times. The music is very poppy, I can't find the guitar riffs while the vocalist is singing., and the solos are weak, especially the cheesy keyboard solos. The lyrics though are a complete mess.
22.05.2012 - 19:51
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
Yeah, going back to this after listening to Stones Grow Her Name, it is truly great stuff. Young, fresh, powerful. Epic vocal performance from Tony too. Will always love this album.
14.06.2012 - 22:50
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 22.05.2012 at 19:51

Epic vocal performance from Tony too.

This is, like, the worst he's ever sounded on an album. Though he rivals it on Silence sometimes... "Black Sheep"... can't convince me he wasn't half asleep while recording that.
----
7.0 means the album is good
15.06.2012 - 10:29
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 14.06.2012 at 22:50

Written by Guest on 22.05.2012 at 19:51

Epic vocal performance from Tony too.

This is, like, the worst he's ever sounded on an album. Though he rivals it on Silence sometimes... "Black Sheep"... can't convince me he wasn't half asleep while recording that.

That's really all I can say.
07.09.2012 - 03:35
Rating: 3
Oaken
Hipster
No offense to the fans of Sonata Arctica, but this is the worst album I've ever heard. That vocalist is SO FUCKING ANNOYING.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
20.12.2018 - 20:43
BlankFile

Almost 20 years ago, I discovered this band, this record and my music world changed forever. One of my favourite debut álbums of a Metal Band and for sure one that I will always remember with affection, emotion and really good memories.

Hits total: 16333 | This month: 21