Metal Storm logo
Religious Black Metal?

Original post

Posted by Berfones, 27.01.2009 - 15:12
After watching the "Murder music" documentary I have but one question, is it possible? is religious Black metal not a contrediction? I for once think it is, but what do you think?
here is the video, part 3 is the one with christian BM
11.03.2009 - 22:38
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
Written by totaliteraliter on 11.03.2009 at 20:54

Written by {aud}devil on 11.03.2009 at 09:00
I was a bit skeptical about this thread at first. It does sound like an oxymoron. but whose to say what people can or cannot do? You? pffftttt....

Really, people ought to read the thread before they start with the hypocritical whining. Your questions have largely been answered.

Written by {aud}devil on 11.03.2009 at 09:00
christianity has like, ten or so separate churches

I hope that was a joke because it made me laugh.

I wasn't trying to come off as whining, seriously. I read the thread and the previous posts. I think everyone should do that before they comment. and yea, that last one was kind of a joke. I was meaning to be sarcastic funny but I was kind of serious too, think about it, there's methodist, baptist, first-tabernacle, penocostal churches, but they all go by one book. Even some non-denominational churches get sermoned from scripture. I was all "Murderface" trying to find religion and been to all these type churches, same hymns and everything. Even studied a little on theology, and I say a little because their are centuries worth of knowledge to understand. But now I'm just rambling. My point is, religious black metal, should be tolerated, if many different churches, Hindu, Temples, Free-masons (lol) are accepted then the music should be to. I guess I'm annoying people so bye thread
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
11.03.2009 - 22:44
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
Written by TheBigRossowski on 11.03.2009 at 22:35

Written by {aud}devil on 11.03.2009 at 17:27

Written by TheBigRossowski on 11.03.2009 at 15:44

Looks like many un-dude types are throwing many opinions about nothing.

We sound racist, lol.

Nothing huh? I was only using racism as an example. Any way you look at it, ignorance and intolerance just pours from this page. Now that is very un-dude like. 8 year-olds dude....

I dig your style man...the whole cowboy thing, lol. You really should read some of the pages before this though.

I guess I was out of my element when I was talking about 'orthodox' black metal. This thread is REALLY about the existence of CHRISTIAN black metal. That's a tough one when you try to think about the 'ideology' and symbolism behind black metal. It's meant to be about Satan (theistic or otherwise) and OVERALL...darkness in man.

Black metal is from Venom(theatric) to Aosoth(O.N.A.) regardless if it was all a 'show' or if the artist believes in Lucifer. But one thing that crosses my mind... why would we consider Enslaved black metal then?

*Orthodox black metal remains a separate entity.
*You guys can have your 'white metal' tag, I don't give a fuck.

I should really slow-read these posts huh? but whatever, just saying people should tolerate it. BtW, you ever use The Big Lebowski as a drinking game? everytime they say shit, fuck, or dude you gotta take a drink. Basically i don't really give a fuck, I just like to debate I guess lol I'm vicious
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
12.03.2009 - 02:06
rageing atheist
Account deleted

But one thing that crosses my mind... why would we consider Enslaved black metal then?

Whether old Enslaved should/could be considered black metal and to which extent black metal should be defined by lyrics/ideology and to which extent by music, I don't really care (defining genres/musical movements has always seemed problematic to me), but to be honest, the lyrics of some of Enslaved songs have dealt with topics similar to what is commonly regarded as black metal, through the lenses of Scandinavian mythology. For example on Frost, songs like Jotunblod (the darkness in man), Fenris (Ragnarök/Armageddon, chaos), Loke (who could be seen as a satanic figure in Norse mythology, though this is more or less arguable), come to mind.

*derailing the thread*
12.03.2009 - 05:50
totaliteraliter
Written by Guest on 12.03.2009 at 02:06

But one thing that crosses my mind... why would we consider Enslaved black metal then?

Whether old Enslaved should/could be considered black metal and to which extent black metal should be defined by lyrics/ideology and to which extent by music, I don't really care (defining genres/musical movements has always seemed problematic to me), but to be honest, the lyrics of some of Enslaved songs have dealt with topics similar to what is commonly regarded as black metal, through the lenses of Scandinavian mythology. For example on Frost, songs like Jotunblod (the darkness in man), Fenris (Ragnarök/Armageddon, chaos), Loke (who could be seen as a satanic figure in Norse mythology, though this is more or less arguable), come to mind.

*derailing the thread*

I might be repeating myself but the art/symbolism of bands like Enslaved is largely pro-pagan. And anything pro-pagan is pretty much anti-Christian (or at least non-Christian or post/pre-Christian) by default, so such bands fit in with black metal well enough.

Written by {aud}devil on 11.03.2009 at 22:38
I wasn't trying to come off as whining, seriously. I read the thread and the previous posts. I think everyone should do that before they comment. and yea, that last one was kind of a joke. I was meaning to be sarcastic funny but I was kind of serious too, think about it, there's methodist, baptist, first-tabernacle, penocostal churches, but they all go by one book. Even some non-denominational churches get sermoned from scripture. I was all "Murderface" trying to find religion and been to all these type churches, same hymns and everything. Even studied a little on theology, and I say a little because their are centuries worth of knowledge to understand. But now I'm just rambling. My point is, religious black metal, should be tolerated, if many different churches, Hindu, Temples, Free-masons (lol) are accepted then the music should be to. I guess I'm annoying people so bye thread

I was laughing because there aren't "like, ten" different churches of Christianity, there are thousands.

And I think we've learned in this thread that religious black metal isn't just tolerated but embraced - it's the Christian bands that lead to controversy. If you're arguing for tolerance in black metal, though, think about it - this genre was built and thrives upon intolerance.
20.05.2009 - 16:59
Slayer666
Christian BM bands are utter bullshit. Black Metal has a primary function in destroying any religion, so Christian BM is just a stupid paradox.
You can view it that way, or you can view all music (including BM) as purely entratainment, and it's ideologies just a way to get vocalists some work.
21.05.2009 - 14:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 20.05.2009 at 16:59

Christian BM bands are utter bullshit. Black Metal has a primary function in destroying any religion, so Christian BM is just a stupid paradox.
You can view it that way, or you can view all music (including BM) as purely entratainment, and it's ideologies just a way to get vocalists some work.

Read through the entire thread and you'll know that the term religious black metal does NOT refer to Christian black metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996