03. Time Is Now
04. Rock And Roll Dream
05. Fade
06. Bleed
07. Nail In The Coffin
08. Nightmare
09. Death Of Me
10. Lost Control

A couple of months ago I gave Crooked X's promo a spin and I must say, the band didn't sound too bad at all. Those of you who are oblivious to the matter, Crooked X are an Oklahoma based hard rock act, comprising of four fourteen year old's. And while I usually just fake interest and cringe at such ultra-young bands, assuring them "that they will totally make it as a serious band some day", then these guys are a bit of an exception.

Granted, the album is far from being original - I guess one might recognize the influences of a bunch of bands in their music, with some riffs being nothing shy of blatant copies. So far I've personally jotted down AC/DC, Kiss, and to a lesser extent, Down and Godsmack. What I can say for sure is that Crooked X's music is highly radio-friendly and does not come entirely without a slight nu-metal undercurrent. Neither are their songs particularly complex. All this will throw off the metal puritans, but then again, Crooked X are not really a metal band per se. Still, people who enjoy a good old hard rock sound might find the band's debut a really cool soundtrack for a drunken beach party. While the album is relatively simplistic, some tracks do stand out, if only for their sheer coolness, such as "Rock And Roll Dream", "Gone", "Bleed" and "Adrenaline". It must also be said that the band deliver real well, the vocalist earning extra points for good performance and excellent range. If the band is not prematurely destroyed by the maelstrom that is the rock'n'roll lifestyle, they might just make it as a serious hard rock group with a decent following one day.

Crooked X is one of those bands that truly make me want to see them live. The album, while flawed in some ways, possesses a great rebellious vibe that is all too difficult to capture for a lot of bands. And perhaps more importantly, it sends out a signal that the music we've grown to love is still alive and kicking. This debut is a reassuring statement by the newest rock generation.

Written by destroyah | 30.01.2009

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 59 users
30.01.2009 - 22:05
Fat & Sassy!

"... a really cool soundtrack for a drunken beach party."

This is exactly what I think when I hear these guys... which is one of the reasons why I can't STAND THEM. This is a good review, though. I just don't like bands that remind me of NICKELBACK. Ugh...
03.02.2009 - 23:20
Rating: 6
Elio
Red Nightmare
Well, not bad, considering that our guys are 14 yr old...the singer is quite good, as said in the review, and makes this album gain some extra point, but no more than 6.5
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.03.2009 - 03:51
theycallmemommy
Account deleted
Crooked X is rocking the Arrowhead Town Center Hot Topic on March 28.

In order to check them out head down to the Arrowhead Town Center in Glendale, AZ beginning Saturday, March 14, and pick up the self-titled CD or any Crooked X t-shirt for a sticker that guarantees the opporutnity to meet the band Saturday, March 28 at 7:30PM. Plus, be one fo the first 30 people to get the sticker and catch a special acoustic performance right before the signing. Check out hottopic.com or call the store for more details on this limited
13.05.2010 - 18:03
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Pretty good for a bunch of 14 year olds
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 5564 | This month: 7