Metal Storm logo
Gorgoroth

17.05.2006 - 10:18
Mother-Anorexia
Account deleted
"In 1994 Gorgoroth released their cult album "Pentagram" and soon became one of the leading acts of the growing scene. "Antichrist", their follow-up release, was even more successful and featured Frost (Satyricon) on drums. The album made a strong impact and consequently led to the bands first live performances in Norway and England (with Cradle of Filth) and finally to their first tour in 1996 with Dissection and Satyricon. With yet another drummer in their ranks, Gorgoroth recorded "Under The Sign Of Hell" and later prepared their first European Headliner-Tour. Nuclear Blast was highly impressed and felt a desire to court the band; by 1998 Gorgoroth had been added to Nuclear Blast's official band roster. The first result of this new marriage was "Destroyer". The band now featured Gaahl on vocals, whose grim and aggressive voice led them to another level. A tour with Cradle of Filth followed, as well as plenty of festival and headlining shows. In 2000 "Incipit Satan" was recorded at Sunlight Studios and showed a new era in the realm of Gorgoroth. The songs, while a bit more refined and far more mature, still maintained their custom unyielding bestiality.

It took another three years, until the follow up to "Incipit Satan" was recorded. After the departure of guitar player Tormentor, Gorgoroth continue on as a four piece, adding another guitar player when it comes time for touring and live shows. "Twilight of the Idols" shows Gorgoroth from several sides and could possibly be the darkest chapter in their career. Finally it is traditional Black Metal of Norwegian origin, performed by the ones who know how it works and who do it the best."

Members:
Infernus (Roger Tiegs) - Vocals, Guitars
Gaahl - Vocals
King Ov Hell - Bass
Dirge Rep - Drums (Live)
Eihwaz (formerly Skagg) - Guitars (Live)

17.05.2006 - 15:59
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I'm certainly expecting their new album, as "Twilight Of The Idols" and "Incipit Satan" (last two) are among my favourite BM releases ever... Gorgoroth is just so strong, so bloodchilling... pure violence and a rusty dense atmospere, they're awesome.
17.05.2006 - 18:20
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
One of the best black metal bands.I think that in their first two releases they had strong influences of classical music.Also in their next album which will be released this year,i hope,Frost(Satyricon,1349) will play drums.
17.05.2006 - 21:56
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Yes Gorgoroth is definitely my favorite black metal band. Their music is so powerful, yet so evil and chilling at the same time. Although I do prefer their older stuff, their newer stuff is still pretty good too. My favorite album is Pentagram and Antichrist is a close second.
18.05.2006 - 02:29
Mother-Anorexia
Account deleted
My fave album is pentagram also. Maaneskyggens slave is a black metal masterpiece of a song!
24.05.2006 - 22:18
Thryce
Retired Staff
Candlelight Records has premiered 'Wound Open' from Gorgoroth's forthcoming album 'Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam' and 'Boundless Demise' from Sahg's forthcoming debut Sahg 1 at the label's official My Space page. You can check them out here

Splitting studio time between Lydriket and Earshot Studios, 'Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam' is the logical next chapter for Gorgoroth; many already calling it their most accomplished work to date. 'Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam' hits U.S. stores on July 25th.

Norway's Sahg are a new disciple of timeless doom and gloom-flavoured metal. With Sahg 1, this "buzzing" Scandinavian four-piece blaze on to U.S. shores with arguably one of the year's best and memorable records. Taking influence from classics - Pentagram, Electric Wizard, Kyuss and Monster Magnet (to name a few) - and it has been said Sahg rock with a groove that would "make John Bonham proud!" Sahg 1 hits U.S. stores July 25th.

(Source : http://www.bravewords.com)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
25.05.2006 - 02:17
Laevos
Account deleted
I really don't like their style. Although black metal isn't my favourite subgenre, I like some BM bands, such as Marduk, Dimmu Borgir, Venom and Behemoth. But Gorgoroth really didn't call my attention. Maybe you guys could recommend me some songs, and maybe I change my mind about 'em.
25.05.2006 - 02:39
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I read on their website and in other music magazines about the stuff Infernus did/didnt do, anyway my friend goes on about this band a bit and i havnt heard anything from them. I'l check them out and report back.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
25.05.2006 - 05:53
LethargyMan

I saw an interview with one of the members in a documentary, and it was one of the creepiest things I had seen in a good while:

"So what was your main source of inspiration?"

"...
Satan...
..."

"...
... and what does Satan represent for you and your music?"

"...
Freedom...
..."
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
25.05.2006 - 06:32
Southern Wind
Account deleted
just checked theirlast album for the first time... seems pretty stunning but I will need thousands of more listens to give a more sophisticated opinion.
25.05.2006 - 06:50
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"I saw an interview with one of the members in a documentary, and it was one of the creepiest things I had seen in a good while:

"...
Satan...
..."

"...

"...
Freedom..."

Right....

And yay for the new songs.
25.05.2006 - 09:37
Gelu
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.05.2006 at 02:17

I really don't like their style. Although black metal isn't my favourite subgenre, I like some BM bands, such as Marduk, Dimmu Borgir, Venom and Behemoth. But Gorgoroth really didn't call my attention. Maybe you guys could recommend me some songs, and maybe I change my mind about 'em.

Man, u really can't get the point with Black Metal listening to those bands...really. Maybe exept DBorgir's <Stormblast>.
Try Bathory, DarkThrone, Burzum, Mayhem, Immortal,Emperor, Gorgoroth, Ildjarn, Graveland....and see what's happening.
I recommend :
Hvis Lyset tar oss - Burzum
Transilvanian hunger - DarkThrone
The return... - Bathory
De Mysteriis... - Mayhem
In the Nihtside...-Emperor
Antichrist - Gorgoroth
Celtic Winter - Graveland
Nidhogg-Ildjarn
Written by Ba'al Peor on Today at 06:50

"I saw an interview with one of the members in a documentary, and it was one of the creepiest things I had seen in a good while:

"...
Satan...
..."

"...

"...
Freedom..."

Right....

And yay for the new songs.

u think smart interviews make a band great?
25.05.2006 - 11:43
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
The "right....." was obviously sarcastic. The fact that they touch on such philosophical matters such as satanism but can only come up with "freedom" is a little odd, but definately not creepy. Makes you wonder whether it is just for the image. Not that itd stop me listening their their music as that is what is important.
25.05.2006 - 19:23
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
Hehe Gorgoroth is heavy shit
I didn't like them at first, but I learned to appreciate them
Now I do like them .. obviously ..
Image really isn't that important, I mean .. it's important, but when you make good music, you can blow away anyone
25.05.2006 - 20:42
Laevos
Account deleted
@Gelu: In fact, I forgot to mention Bathory, which I think is a good band, indeed. And I'll check those songs. Thanks for the recommendations, dude.
25.05.2006 - 22:38
Anton Alcolust

i listen the sample of their new album . omg ! i think it will be great !
----
A.M.S.G.
25.05.2006 - 22:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
just bought twilight of idols, very powerful.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.05.2006 - 23:00
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Up there with Marduk as the most overrated of all black metal bands. They're not a terrible band per se but they're nowhere near good enough to warrant the success and fame they've acquired.
26.05.2006 - 01:08
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Well obviously they are..... you may not like them but they are definately good.
28.05.2006 - 00:46
matos

...so any (more) words/comments about the new album ?
----
28.05.2006 - 10:48
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Does "i want it now!" count?
28.05.2006 - 19:16
Megadeth88

I love Gorgoroth. My two favorite albums by them are "Pentagram", and "Antichrist." Sucks that Tormentor left though. =(
28.05.2006 - 22:07
Anton Alcolust

Written by Guest on 28.05.2006 at 10:48

Does "i want it now!" count?

the same !!!

do you know if it will be a promo tour for this album ?
----
A.M.S.G.
28.05.2006 - 22:16
Ziom

About this interview...
I remember an interview with Shagrath (Dimmu) about extactely the same thing - he stated that none of the band members are satanists, but the word "Satan" is a metaphor of freedom for them. Hypocrites imho. Dimmu do it for the image and tend to "whitewash" satanism, which is in fact (and should be in it's true form) pretty much "hardcore"
29.05.2006 - 01:47
matos

guess what guys! i have the new album (yes i've downloaded it ).
I don't know what to say about it... is it just me but i feel weird while listenig it! why? Because i like it! BM has been my fav. genre for quite some time now, but Gorgorth were never on my list, i just couldn't get into them. But now they sound great! As i said, i don't know what happened - whether i've change or they have... try 'em yourself !
----
29.05.2006 - 11:29
Gelu
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.05.2006 at 20:42

@Gelu: In fact, I forgot to mention Bathory, which I think is a good band, indeed. And I'll check those songs. Thanks for the recommendations, dude.

albums, not tracks, but if u are in a hurry....:-)
29.05.2006 - 12:44
_HIV_

gorgoroth are cool ... but they are just repeating themselfs! they don't evolve!
gr8 music ... but boring
30.05.2006 - 03:24
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam seems pretty generic at first listen... I'll see if it grows in time, but at first gaze seems much more mediocre than the IMO extraordinary Twilight Of The Idols.
30.05.2006 - 08:14
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Guest on 18.05.2006 at 02:29

My fave album is pentagram also. Maaneskyggens slave is a black metal masterpiece of a song!

Yea I felt the same way for a long time. These days have a lot of favourites. There was a time when i used to listen to that track everyday. Really good song. That album is still damn good even after all these years..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
30.05.2006 - 12:21
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Ive yet to download the new album, but ill get around to it soon.