Metal Storm logo
Black Metal "Sellouts": Dimmu Borgir vs Cradle Of Filth

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 08.07.2006 - 04:49
Simple. The BM sellout battle. Both COF and DM are identified as the ultimate Black Metal Sellouts. Which one do you prefer? And why? I personally prefer Dimmu. I don't like Danni Filth's voice.

Poll

Which sellout BM band you prefer?

Dimmu Borgir
Cradle Of Filth

Total votes: 613
28.07.2013 - 02:29
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by squidrick420 on 21.01.2013 at 02:52

...but they have NONE of the original spirit BM was based upon.

And I'm sure the world rejoices upon knowing that.
27.09.2013 - 06:18
DoomRules
This is not black metal, their music is metal merchandise, These are the most profitable bands and I doubt there are any ounce of inspiration from the Black metalheads.
----
There's no light at the end of the tunnel...
29.09.2013 - 21:45
Being Norwegian, I guess it´s no surprise I voted for Dimmu Borgir.
----
I´ve always loved the night
... and darkness.
14.12.2013 - 00:42
Jiri
Dimmu; they are far more consistent.
20.12.2013 - 18:58
Grey Wind
I don't think CoF are sellouts really. I've watched a couple interviews with Dani, he is a very intelligent person, plus he wrote some of the best lyrics in BM.
I agree the band's last albums are bad but if the dude enjoys it I'm happy for him. IMO when people want to call him a sellout, my answer is that he will be always be a legendary artist, while they never wrote music or lyrics and are nobody :
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
21.12.2013 - 21:35
Mattybu
Written by Grey Wind on 20.12.2013 at 18:58

IMO when people want to call him a sellout, my answer is that he will be always be a legendary artist, while they never wrote music or lyrics and are nobody :

Whether he is a sellout or not, this is probably the weakest possible argument in response to criticism. People don't need to be a legendary artist or have written music themselves to be able to say something negative about music.
21.12.2013 - 21:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Mattybu on 21.12.2013 at 21:35
People don't need to be a legendary artist or have written music themselves to be able to say something negative about music.

You can't just go around saying that. You aren't a published critic so you can't state your opinion on things.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.12.2013 - 21:48
Mattybu
22.12.2013 - 12:55
Grey Wind
Written by Mattybu on 21.12.2013 at 21:35

Written by Grey Wind on 20.12.2013 at 18:58

IMO when people want to call him a sellout, my answer is that he will be always be a legendary artist, while they never wrote music or lyrics and are nobody :

Whether he is a sellout or not, this is probably the weakest possible argument in response to criticism. People don't need to be a legendary artist or have written music themselves to be able to say something negative about music.

You are right man! You can critisize him, even laugh at him. I didn't say that you shouldn't. What I am saying is that it won't erase what he achieved (earlier albums). It's a fact that he will still be the musician behind "cruelty and the beast"

For example, russel crowe will always be "the awesome guy who played gladiator"(movie). I don't really care about his other movies! it might be a stupid example
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
23.12.2013 - 15:27
Sean 79
to any band who can make a living from playing metal. After all, isn't that the dream?!
16.02.2014 - 19:11
I think, as I read above, we can consider them modern BM bands. I like the first four or five albums. I love Dusk and her embrace, it's a fucking haunting album of COF, and Stormblast from DM, awesome!
16.02.2014 - 21:04
DyingWorld
Written by Sean 79 on 23.12.2013 at 15:27

to any band who can make a living from playing metal. After all, isn't that the dream?!

Exactly!

That said, Cradle of Filth are starting to really grow on me. At least up to and including "Dusk and Her Embrace." Although I think they got too musically overblown after that, I respect them for what they are. Once again, I think it's a stretch to say that CoF (or Dimmu) are sellouts or posers. Cradle were always being themselves so how are they posers? They never really claimed to be "true black metal" and they would be correct but who fucking cares? I think purists would stop being so anal about genres. The music is what matters so why argue about something as trivial as categories? If every band was trying to be "pure black metal", "pure death metal" or "pure heavy metal", then there would be no room for innovation.
30.11.2014 - 00:58
TPrice
Between the two I prefer Dimmu Borgir. Nothing against Cradle of Filth, I enjoy their first couple of albums, but I just like Dimmu's sound better. Particularly EDT and SPD era.
16.01.2015 - 22:46
Nucky
Wouldn't call COF black metal.. More gothic metal.. As for Dimmu Borgir, I don't consider them sell outs.. If they are successful that doesn't mean they are sell-outs...
26.01.2015 - 14:06
s_t_s
Most of all I would call both "ageing modern black metal" bands. I have almost all of their albums and like all of them mostly because they are not always doing the same things over and over. Abrahadabra is awesome but Death Cult Armaggeddon is so powerful ! I love Midian's black inspiration but also Thornography's heavy metal sound.

The only thing that really annoys me is that I guess we can call Dimmu Borgir a dead band and the last album by CoF was quite forgettable... I wonder why no one has reviewed the first album of Devilment tho, as I like it a lot !
23.03.2015 - 23:42
ADIresiduos
I agree with Jonas, I don't like Danni's voice... it gets anoying after a few minutes.
And I really don't understand why call them sellouts; they got popular, so what? what's wrong with getting paid really well for selling their music? Popularity will give much more exposure to these BM bands and thus the fan base will grow each day.
Why BM has to be an underground thing? are there written rules about this?
I would agree with the sellout term for any metal band, only if they make a drastic change in their style just to be very radio-friendly, for example: the load and re-load albums from Metallica.
17.05.2016 - 20:34
Enteroctopus
As far as either band, each one has a song I will actually listen to, but i will say I prefer Dimmu because that song is actually original vs a cover. And they are:

DB - "Mourning Palace"
CoF - "Hallowed Be Thy Name" (Maiden, obviously)
07.01.2019 - 05:32
Oneirica
cradle of filth's older stuff is the stuff of lore, but I've had my moments of pleasure listening to dimmu borgir. craddle of filth is fun and silly in their revamped style, love their video interludes from the live videography, but I prefer the seriousness, guitar riffs, and lyrics of dimmu borgir
06.09.2021 - 15:22
Metal Rasputin
Dimmu used to be awesome back in the 90's and early 2000's but have since become stale and boring. Cradle of Filth on the other hand had their worse moments like Thornography, but the last three albums have been really good.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!