Metal Storm logo
Black Metal "Sellouts": Dimmu Borgir vs Cradle Of Filth

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 08.07.2006 - 04:49
Simple. The BM sellout battle. Both COF and DM are identified as the ultimate Black Metal Sellouts. Which one do you prefer? And why? I personally prefer Dimmu. I don't like Danni Filth's voice.

Poll

Which sellout BM band you prefer?

Dimmu Borgir
Cradle Of Filth

Total votes: 613
24.09.2009 - 20:35
MetallicA
Hahaha yeah, that is true! There are some songs that are just freakin awesome though so I will give them that. They did some great cover songs too like Hallowed be Thy Name (the shrieking is kept to a minimum in this song LOL). I do like his growls though!
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
07.10.2009 - 19:51
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 12.07.2009 at 03:55

Heres another reason to choose dimmu:
1. COF is not Black metal!

And Dimmu Borgir is? Funny.
08.10.2009 - 02:53
His Eminence
Account deleted
Was Cradle of Filth even considered black metal on their early albums?

Even so, I enjoy both bands, but I like Dimmu Borgir better than Cradle of Filth.
09.10.2009 - 07:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
They were bm enough to play with Emperor...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.10.2009 - 23:02
His Eminence
Account deleted
Oh okay, thanks. I wasn't exactly sure.
24.10.2009 - 21:09
Hanyuchan
I hate how everyone says Dimmu Borgir are sellouts. Just because a band isn't "kvlt" doesn't make it a sellout.
25.10.2009 - 19:48
Kratos
Dimmu Borgir, cant beat ICS Vortex.
29.10.2009 - 16:45
Excuse me for asking, but, why do people say that Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth are sellouts?
03.11.2009 - 13:38
Because they have lots of stupid mini-goths who are fans because it annoys their parents. Also, signing with Roadrunner/Sony/Nuclear Blast was pretty untr00.

Each have some not bad songs, but both are more dull than truly bad.
04.11.2009 - 18:34
Written by HarmonyCorruptio on 03.11.2009 at 13:38

Because they have lots of stupid mini-goths who are fans because it annoys their parents. Also, signing with Roadrunner/Sony/Nuclear Blast was pretty untr00.

Each have some not bad songs, but both are more dull than truly bad.

So they're not really a "gothic" band? Huh, and here I thought they were...
06.11.2009 - 22:18
SatyriconChick
I love both bands, but I find it stupid when people call them "sellouts" just because they're successful and don't have to work in other jobs to eat and pay their bills.
21.02.2010 - 03:03
Morka Graven
Cradle of Milf are NOT black metal even if they did have elements of it in their music. Yes, Cradle of milf are a somewhat Gothic metal band, or are now at least.

Dimmu Borgir, even if they are sellouts are still good musicians. They symphonic elements in their music still amazes me.
----
We can't keep on fighting in a world where nothing is of importance.
22.02.2010 - 20:11
Scourge
I prefer Dimmu Borgir. cause i simply hate Cradle Of Filth.
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
22.02.2010 - 22:38
Cyroth
I like both bands...but more borgir,so I'm with them
----
22.02.2010 - 22:58
JÄY
Metal slave
Because of enthrone darkness triumphant, Demon Burger wins
23.02.2010 - 01:17
skullkill
I like Cradle Of Filth i just cant get into Dimmu Borgir
23.02.2010 - 15:53
SerratedSyringe
Written by skullkill on 23.02.2010 at 01:17

I like Cradle Of Filth i just cant get into Dimmu Borgir

Dimmu is just borring imo. Cof keeps me entertained at least.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
26.02.2010 - 04:41
sasquatch
Cradle of filth isn't even really true black metal. And I don't know why people consider Dimmu sellouts just because they play symphonic black metal. So do graveworm. Just because they aren't burzum/darkthrone/marduk that doesn't make them sellouts
06.03.2010 - 02:57
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
I dont believe at all that there sellouts and I dont really call Cradle Of Filth Black Metal but anyways a band can get signed to Roadrunner or Nuclear Blast or have any kind of fans and not be sellouts not everyband likes to be underground Dimmu Borgir and Cradle Of Filth are and are going to be more rich then a lot of bands out there today who are so called underground its a bands choise on how they want to be protrayed not the fans if you dont like how they are then dont listen to them simple
07.03.2010 - 00:46
xplanet2112
I don't know much about Cradle of Filth these days or anything of the other band. So forgive me if any of this is not new infomation!

Cradle of Filth started out as a deathmetal band that were looking for a gimmick to get noticed, the other way you could look at it was that they were trying to do something different to stand out from the crowd. As far as I know, people who I knew in bands that played shows with them before they were signed said that they used to wear masks such as Clown masks then all of a sudden, let's just say around the time of the aftermath of a curtain church burning and stabbing, COF started to wear the corpse paint!

I spoke to a Paul A just after the release of POEMF and it seemed to me that they were a very savy and professional band who were; looking for deals that would ensure their debut release would be available in major chain stores such as HMV and OurPrice; and that they went for a good production and mix of POEMF so not to put buyers off their music. He was a nice guy and very open about their plans for world domination. I remember at the time there were loads and loads of flyers for POEMF in the tape trading scene and just about everybody was telling me to buy it to support them.

I though CoF's debut it was a nice melodic power/death metal album with a few scattered black metal influences and enjoyed the ambient touches, but I never, ever, thought of them as a true black metal band because a) they were trying to gain commercial success through business relationships ie T-shirts, Cds been made available in chain stores. b) they recorded a melodic album with a good sound/mix production.
----
www.myspace.co.uk/interminate
20.04.2010 - 08:20
Butters49
Borgir is always pretending that they are "True Norwegian Black Metal",
even their t shirts say so.

COF has never admitted to being black metal.
Therefore the only sellouts are Borgir.

But both bands have good shit...

Borgir had one amazing album which was Stormblast.
Cof has always had some decent shit.
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
21.04.2010 - 13:47
Kennoth
Cradle of Filth

Although, I too, can't really stand his vocals for long, unless coupled with a female vocals (such as one of my all time favorite songs Nymphetamine)
----
*insert something deep and profound*
29.04.2010 - 01:50
In_tallica
Dimmu Borgir is better in every way, although i have nothing against COF though, they have some good albums, but nothing compared to what Dimmu has released.
28.06.2010 - 01:05
Vndergrovnd
Cradle at least deserves respect for giving what a lot of people want, and not letting anyone bring them down. Dimmu has had its share of good members, but Shagrath has destroyed the whole thing. As for either being sellouts, the term is thrown around too much. If the music sounds good to you, listen to it with a grin on your face. \m/
28.06.2010 - 15:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Cradle of Filth has always had a much bigger lasting impression on me. They used to be my favorite band and they got me into extreme metal... besides all those underground bands I got from CNet Music, and Massacre.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
29.06.2010 - 00:14
Lord_Regnier
Both bands are sellouts. And both suck.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
29.06.2010 - 05:11
ThisIsNotHere
CoF can be funny and keeps things somewhat interesting. Dimmu comes across as trying too hard. In Sorte Diaboli had a few moments here and there, but for the most part, Dimmu bores me to tears.
----
I almost cried because I acted so insensitive
08.07.2010 - 03:00
SatyriconChick
I decided to revisit this thread. Like I said in my original post, I love both bands, but I had to go with Dimmu Borgir because, frankly, I love them a bit more.
09.07.2010 - 17:50
Eddie Misery
I voted COF. I used to really dig Dimmu, and they're still excellent musicians but I just get tired of them too quickly. I can't listen to a single album of theirs front to back, b/c for me, after about 4 or 5 tracks it all feels like filler material.

COF's later releases feel somewhat uninspired and recycled too, but Damnation and everything before it were great albums I thought. Particularly Dusk and Her Embrace, Cruelty, and Midian. Three really solid albums for me.

As far as who is BM and who is not, or who is tr00 (lmao) or not, and who is or isn't a sellout, I don't particularly care. I honestly don't think many people understand what being a "sellout" really is, and it has become a term for people to throw around regarding bands they simply don't like, which is ridiculous. Trying to explain to someone like that what a sellout really is is just pointless. I will, however, agree with SatyriconChick; being successful and making money b/c you're successful and people like you does NOT qualify you as a sellout.
09.07.2010 - 22:40
SerratedSyringe
I'm still sticking with COF. I enjoy their music more, I believe the band as a whole is more original then Dimmu and as previoulsy stated, it seems like Dimmu Borgir tries too hard to be something they're not.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....