08. Gehenna
09. This Cold Black
10. Wherein Lies Continue
11. Snuff
12. All Hope Is Gone
13. Child Of Burning Time [bonus]
14. Vermillion Pt. 2 [Bloodstone Mix] [bonus]
15. 'Til We Die [bonus]

After Slipknot's first two albums blew us away with their high level of sheer violence, their third album "The Subliminal Verses" had evolved to a much more melodic and mature sound, but still keeping much of that brutality that Slipknot is (was) praised for. It's safe to say that their fourth release "All Hope Is Gone" continues that path. It's still Slipknot, yet it's very,very different to the work that first made them famous.

Indeed, many elements stay the same: guitars still sound blunt and strange, just like Slipknot we all know and love. Drumming is still the one of the best I've ever heard, thanks to mister Joey that is maybe the best drummer that I know off. Corey is back too, with his usual mixture of brutal shouting vocals and an amazing singing voice that is something simply brilliant. Everyone else is here as well, all nine of them. The DJ Sid who spins his disks to make the needed special effects, Chris and Shawn for an extra drumming edge, the good old crew.

It's hard to conclude what is so different about this album from the text so far. While many things stay the same, Slipknot's music is no longer something that makes you want to go out and beat someone senseless (with the exception of a couple tracks). Indeed, now it's much more mature and somewhat more mainstream.

There are a few tracks I really have to mention separately, like "Psychosocial" that has an incredible mix of brutal riffs and Corey's beautiful singing. "Dead Memories" is the slowest non-ballad song on the album, it's pretty catchy, Corey's singing is simply great and it even has power chords (???). And, lastly, who can forget "Germantia (The Killing Name)" and "All Hope Is Gone" that sound just like that Slipknot's early works?

I know that this description was somewhat vague, but believe me that it's really not easy to explain what kind of music this is. "All Hope Is Gone" is a strange mixture of a little bit of everything that someone will love completely, yet others will hate with the same intensity. If you never liked Slipknot, there is a good chance that this one will make you like them, and if you are a fan of their early work, well, you have as much chance liking it as hating it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Slayer666 | 06.02.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 74   Visited by: 310 users
20.10.2011 - 23:22
brapp32
Well you definitely didn't give the impression that you liked them.
21.10.2011 - 14:52
Rating: 7
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 19.10.2011 at 21:12

Poser metal.

Damn straight. We should all listen to Lordi. Nothing poser about them, specially with those masks and their last terrible album, no sir.
21.10.2011 - 21:01
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 21.10.2011 at 14:52

Written by Guest on 19.10.2011 at 21:12

Poser metal.

Damn straight. We should all listen to Lordi. Nothing poser about them, specially with those masks and their last terrible album, no sir.

Babez for breakfast is terrible, I know. Lordi is poser, I know.
21.10.2011 - 21:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Nothing poser about them, specially with those masks and their last terrible album, no sir.

If there's anything metal has taught me, it's that bands wearing masks play the trvest of the tr00 forms of music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.10.2011 - 21:11
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by brapp32 on 20.10.2011 at 23:22

Well you definitely didn't give the impression that you liked them.

That wasn't my intention. I don't hate neither metal or rock bands. If I did not like poser, then I do not listened to Disturbed..
21.10.2011 - 21:17
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by JohnWayneGacy666 on 11.04.2010 at 07:59

YOU ARE JOKING THIS BAND IS RAP THEY SHOULD NOT BE ON METAL STORM because they are NOT METAL simple as that 0 out of 10 for being a bunch of disgusting clowns

Nu Metal is metal
29.10.2011 - 07:12
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by JohnWayneGacy666 on 11.04.2010 at 07:59

YOU ARE JOKING THIS BAND IS RAP THEY SHOULD NOT BE ON METAL STORM because they are NOT METAL simple as that 0 out of 10 for being a bunch of disgusting clowns

You have Waking The Cadaver (My mistake. Walking the Cadaver) in you fav band list. Your opinion is null/void.
14.11.2011 - 10:31
Moosh666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 21:03

Nothing poser about them, specially with those masks and their last terrible album, no sir.

If there's anything metal has taught me, it's that bands wearing masks play the trvest of the tr00 forms of music.

Oi! What about Portal?
14.11.2011 - 19:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Moosh666 on 14.11.2011 at 10:31
Oi! What about Portal?

And Ghost.

Told you Slipknot were tr00.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.11.2011 - 02:29
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Fucking Genre rat's. Forget about what genre its in and just judge the music.
15.11.2011 - 02:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
No matter what genre it is, Slipknot is crap at best for me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.11.2011 - 15:36
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.11.2011 at 02:41

No matter what genre it is, Slipknot is crap at best for me.

xD

I expected nothing less from you, Marcel.
15.12.2011 - 09:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Slayer666 on 22.09.2009 at 20:54
It's Slipknot. What did you expect? Their lyrcis have always been crap in my opinion. But the music is

Do you still feel like this about the band? Just curious. It's been 2 years since the review and I want to know if your tastes have changed.
----
15.12.2011 - 15:44
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 09:49

Do you still feel like this about the band?

Absolutely. Granted, I listen to them a lot less than I used to, due to the 10000000+ new stuff that begs to be checked out, but their shit still gets me every time, be it the tracks like the more rock-ish sing-along "Duality" or the much heavier "Heretic Anthem". I've even come to appreciate tracks like "Gehenna" on this album a lot more. Although, at this point of my reviewing career, I wasn't as rigid with ratings as I am now, so the album would prolly be rated a half point lower or so.

To this very day I don't understand all the bashing the band gets. :/
15.12.2011 - 15:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 15.12.2011 at 15:44

To this very day I don't understand all the bashing the band gets. :/

Because people are moronic sheep who let the internet dictate their opinions.
15.12.2011 - 15:49
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 15.12.2011 at 15:47

So you're saying... down with the Internet?
15.12.2011 - 15:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 15.12.2011 at 15:49

So you're saying... down with the Internet?

Nope, down with people. People = Sh... er never mind.
15.12.2011 - 15:52
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 15.12.2011 at 15:49

People = Sh... er never mind.

This joke just begged to be made. xD
15.12.2011 - 18:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Slayer666 on 15.12.2011 at 15:44
Absolutely... To this very day I don't understand all the bashing the band gets. :/

Fair enough. I found that my interest in Slipknot dissipated almost completely overnight as soon as I discovered black metal. At first I thought it was because I was blinded by the fancies of kvltism but looking back (and literally going back and re-listening) to some of their songs just reminded me that it had more to do with the fact that their alternative style just bored me.

As for the bashing... Haters gonna hate. Look at the likes of CoF, Dimmu, Metallica, etc. - all popular bands receive (sometimes) unjustified criticism from the masses simply for being popular. People look at the popularity factory and get all butthurt because bands like (for example) Arizmenda aren't being given the credit they "deserve".

It's no different than Bieber having worldwide mainstream chart success. The majority of people seem to disagree with his talents and yet, he still sells records.
----
16.12.2011 - 18:50
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 18:53

Fair enough. I found that my interest in Slipknot dissipated almost completely overnight as soon as I discovered black metal. At first I thought it was because I was blinded by the fancies of kvltism but looking back (and literally going back and re-listening) to some of their songs just reminded me that it had more to do with the fact that their alternative style just bored me.

My taste actually changed very little from when I was like... 13, or so. It just expanded a lot.
Hell, I still like some songs from Tokio Hotel's debut that I used to listen to when I was about 12, even though I was already acquainted with Rammstein, Slipknot, Iron Maiden and the like.
16.12.2011 - 19:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 15.12.2011 at 15:47

I don't think the internet actually has anything to do with it. The internet merely shines a spotlight on the phenomena. It's more moronic sheep who let peers and "true metal" attitudes dictate their opinions. Slipknot are seen as a "poser" band, therefore many metalheads mindlessly bash them just to appear "cool" and not a poser.

I myself was into metal for years before Slipknot came on the scene, and I like them, so to me it's nonsense the way some to regard them simply as a "gateway" band, that will lead onto liking "real metal" later on.
16.12.2011 - 19:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.12.2011 at 19:38

I don't think the internet actually has anything to do with it. The internet merely shines a spotlight on the phenomena. It's more moronic sheep who let peers and "true metal" attitudes dictate their opinions. Slipknot are seen as a "poser" band, therefore many metalheads mindlessly bash them just to appear "cool" and not a poser.

I myself was into metal for years before Slipknot came on the scene, and I like them, so to me it's nonsense the way some to regard them simply as a "gateway" band, that will lead onto liking "real metal" later on.

I think the internet has a big effect in propagating that kind of attitude though, there's nowhere you can find such a concentrated force of negativity about aspects of metal. Metallers that tend not to spend their time on forums such as this one are often a lot more accepting of such bands. Like it or not the internet plays a huge part of shaping personalities and opinions (especially generations that have grown up with it, something you or I cannot identify with).
16.12.2011 - 19:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 19:42
I think internet has a big effect in propagating that kind of attitude though, there's nowhere you can find such a concentrated force of negativity about aspects of metal. Metallers than tend not to spend their on forums such as this one are often a lot more accepting of such bands. Like it or not the internet plays a huge part of shaping personalities and opinions (especially generations that have grown up with it, something you or I cannot identify with).

I definitely won't deny that the internet magnifies the phenemona, but it's really just an extension of the "kill posers" attitude that came to prominence in the 80''s. The internet acts merely as a vessel for such attitudes to spread more widely between likeminded people, on a far larger scale than was previously possible. In effect, propagating it, as you said.

And yep, I agree that the net plays a huge part in shaping personalities and opinions of today. But in the end, it really boils down to the same problem as before the net's existence. Allowing peers to shape your personality and views, for fear of being "outcast" or seen as different. It's the inherent need that so many have to "fit in", that is the core problem. The internet just makes it worse, because there is a mass peer prescence on the internet, compared with probably just a handful, or less, that people would encounter in their lives if they had no net access.
16.12.2011 - 20:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 19:42
I think the internet has a big effect in propagating that kind of attitude though, there's nowhere you can find such a concentrated force of negativity about aspects of metal.

Definitely. Only not just aspects of metal, but aspects of... life.

I used to let the interne dictate my tastes. If it had a good average score on MA I'd pretend to listen to it and say I enjoyed it even though I never bothered to check it out; if it had a low rating on a site like RYM I'd say it's the worst thing ever (also without hearing it).

Then a year went by and I decided that I'd listen to what I want because I like it and if other people have a problem with it, that's fine. Could you imagine if I listened to everything Marcel told me to and ignored everything he told me to ignore? I wouldn't be nearly as happy with what I've managed to uncover in the world of metal.

That being said, the internet makes it incredibly difficult for some people to rise above the majority and voice their own opinion with confidence.
----
16.12.2011 - 20:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 20:16
Could you imagine if I listened to everything Marcel told me to and ignored everything he told me to ignore? I wouldn't be nearly as happy with what I've managed to uncover in the world of metal.

*Insert mr.doctor-is-a-marcel-clone-joke here*
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.12.2011 - 20:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.12.2011 at 20:25

You listen to Bring Me the Horizon.
----
16.12.2011 - 20:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 20:26

Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.12.2011 at 20:25

You listen to Bring Me the Horizon.

Also Lifelover, Alcest, Summoning, Peste Noire and Devil Doll. All bands that he finds awful Some people still believe the rumor though...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.12.2011 - 20:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 20:16
That being said, the internet makes it incredibly difficult for some people to rise above the majority and voice their own opinion with confidence.

Again, I think the internet merely highlights, and makes worse an issue that existed long before the days of the internet. It's easier to side with the majority, and to go along with the group think mentality, therefore this is what many people do. Even if deep down inside, they know their actual opinion is different to the one they're outwordly expressing. It's just the need to fit in, that so many seem to have.
16.12.2011 - 20:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.12.2011 at 20:35
It's just the need to fit in, that so many seem to have.

Exactly. This review actually does a good job at stepping outside the trve circle and voicing an opinion that clearly opposed the majority here.

That being said, the lot of us shit on it for saying it contained sheer violence.
----
16.12.2011 - 20:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 20:38
Exactly. This review actually does a good job at stepping outside the trve circle and voicing an opinion that clearly opposed the majority here.

That being said, the lot of us shit on it for saying it contained sheer violence.

I think it says that lot that as soon as I read the review, I pretty much knew the tone that most of the comments were going to take. Seeing as the reviewer is young (and even younger at the time he made the review), whether he knew what to expect as far as the negative nature of many of the comments, I don't know.

But what I think was more telling was the answer he gave to what he thinks of Slipknot now. The predictable answer would have been to rubbish his own review, and blame his age on why he viewed the album the way he did. Especially now knowing how vilified Slipknot are within sections of the metal community. So reading his views on it now a couple of years on was very refreshing.

Hits total: 11323 | This month: 15