Metal Storm logo
Cannibal Corpse interview (02/2009)

With: George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher
Conducted by: Baz Anderson (in person)
Published: 20.02.2009

Band profile:

Cannibal Corpse

Cannibal Corpse, a controversial subject within the death metal world. This past week I got the chance to catch up with the band's figurehead, the mighty Corpsegrinder about the past, the present, the future, the criticisms and the strains of being away from home.

Due to technical fault, the first few minutes didn't record properly, so the video follows on from this transcription of those first few minutes. Apologies for the occasional focusing problems.

Barry: So you've been on tour now for a few weeks with Children Of Bodom, how has the tour gone so far?

George: Great! Packed every night, crowds awesome, a lot of people that aren't familiar with us, you know our music, which is part of the reason, well the reason to tour and get some new people listening to the band. We're having a good time.

Barry: Is it strange that you're not headlining?

George: It is different, yeh, because every European tour we do we're headlining. But it's kind of refreshing, I mean playing an hour and fifteen minutes when we headline, and now we're playing forty-five, we're on an off before we even know it. We're having a good time, it's really cool, I got to say I would rather open some times, it's way cooler because... we've done it a few times in the states... and this is the first tour we have done for "Evisceration Plague", so it's kind of good to not jump straight back into headlining.

Barry: So you've just released your new album "Evisceration Plague", what are your thoughts on the album, how do you rate it compared to the other albums?

George: Um, I think it stacks up with all of them. I mean the guitar sound is easily the best from what we've had, it's harsh, the heaviness, it's got everything, the song are there, everything is solid. It's had a good reaction, you know we only play two new songs on this tour, and you know, we're doing just "Evisceration Plague" and "Priests Of Sodom", and... "Priests..." is the first song on the album, so people are more familiar with that, usually its the first song that is more, you know, catchy, so we're getting a good reaction, people are ready for it, they are screaming and going crazy. One thing I have noticed it takes people a little bit of time, you know when we come round the second time, they start having... they start to know the songs.

Barry: So what would you say to the people that say you never change your style?

George: Fuck them. We're death metal, we do what we do, you know, we write what we write, I think each album is unique in its own way... I don't see what the problem is... I don't really... I don't care, you know, I don't, because those are the people who are just finding any excuse they can to say something bad about us, they want us gone for whatever reason, you know what, sit behind your fucking table, write your fucking stories, I don't care man, you know we only care about the people here at the shows, that's all we need, that's all we ever needed. You don't like that we don't change, well go and listen to somebody else - [video starts here] I think it should be a credit to us that be stick to our guns, and we do you know... yeh, we've evolved, if you listen to the first record to now it's different, but it's not, it's not a complete change, it's an evolution I think that you know, as far as what the death metal style we are playing... and if anyone doesn't like it then, you know I could have just kept this small you know with two words, fuck off, but... [points to camera] if you don't like it, fuck you.

Part 1

Part 2

Many thanks go to George of Cannibal Corpse for his time, and also Andy Turner for arranging it.
Conducted, transcribed and edited by Barry Anderson, recorded by Rachel Muir.

Posted on 20.02.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 54   Visited by: 360 users
23.02.2009 - 15:53
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Darkside Momo on 23.02.2009 at 15:25

Written by Metalhead2 on 23.02.2009 at 15:10

Now you are ironic, they have been listening to metal for a shitload of years but still don't know the basics. Again, quality>quantity my dear Christian.

Marcel doesn't know the basics?

That's the funniest, stupidest thing I've even seen written on MS!
Thanks for making my day man!
And you think you know better than Marcel and Lucas? I hope you don't have problems with you oh-so-small ego

I so second that
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
23.02.2009 - 16:07
destroyah
supercharger

Written by Doc G. on 23.02.2009 at 01:35

Written by Metalhead2 on 22.02.2009 at 20:26

Written by Lucas on 22.02.2009 at 18:19

Written by Metalhead2 on 22.02.2009 at 18:02

Anyway read this stuff http://www.deathmetal.org/death_metal/music
Maybe you will learn something
Hf

That's the most ridiculous article I've read in a long time.

Pity yourself.

Seriously kid, just shut the fuck up. You have absolutely no right to try and "teach" or debate something of this matter with people like Marcel or Lucas. My proof? Here:

Written by Metalhead2 on 03.05.2008 at 13:02

ok i had that opinion about doom metal too when i got into metal.
rofl 2006 xD

Marcels been into metal since before you were born, and Lucas has obviously been into metal longer since his sign up date is before 2006, which means hes probably been into metal for longer than that. You've been into metal for less than 3 years, you think you know more than you actually do.

So I repeat: Quit trying to be Professor Metal and just shut the fuck up. Please.

Now you are ironic, they have been listening to metal for a shitload of years but still don't know the basics. Again, quality>quantity my dear Christian.

Firstly, you need to look up the definition of "irony".

Secondly (and I'm closing my sarcasm tap, for real), I think it's OK that you act this way. I remember when back in the day I was young and desperately wanted to belong to something kvlt and underground as well, you know, search myself and all that. So it's perfectly normal for you too, and I understand. It's OK to feel vulnerable, and lost.

And now I know that at the very young age of 23, I'm in no position to give you the good ol' embarrassing "lecture from your dad", but rest assured, having been a teenager myself you know, I never underestimate just how uncomfortable that can be.

And whenever you feel you just need a hug... don't be afraid to ask...
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
23.02.2009 - 17:13
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by ylside on 23.02.2009 at 00:51

I am still amazed at the size of Corspegrinder's neck.

Me too.. I wonder that if those who rant about him here, dare and tell him your band sucks before Fisher, himself..
23.02.2009 - 17:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser

Despite the fact he was around for the forming of these genres? I think he'd know a hell of a lot more than you, in fact, I can almost guarantee 80% of the people here do, the difference? Nobody else carries the arrogance and false sense of knowledge like you do. Most people also argue their own opinions instead of using 1 website as their personality.

But, as I have said before, judging by your former posts, 6 months from now you just won't give a shit, either because you have matured and have accepted the fact your not all-knowing in the area of metal, or you will find someone else's opinion to borrow.

EDIT: My dear Christian? I'm not even sure what the point of saying that was?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.02.2009 - 21:30
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Quote:

to belong to something kvlt and underground as well,

You didn't know why you wanted that so that is the reason why you are not underground anymore. I don't care about my ego at all, I just want to show truth to people but some of you don't seem to be able to understand it.

Quote:

EDIT: My dear Christian? I'm not even sure what the point of saying that was?
f/quote]
Because everyone who prefers quantity is either Christian , democrat or humanist. Democrats and humanists are Christians so you are Christian.
Quote:

Most people also argue their own opinions

And what is the point of agruing opinions? I want facts not some opinions. Otherwise go discuss what is your favourite band.

Explain me in a normal way why that site sucks and I will believe you.
23.02.2009 - 21:41
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
That site sucks because they try to offer their personal opinions as black and white facts (that is also called brainwashing btw.). When it comes to music or any form of art there is no facts, there are opinions, likes and dislikes, there are theories of this and that, the only one who knows is the composer or the band themselves and they don't mind to explain or they don't know themself either, maybe they were just really drunk and came up fuck up stuff that sounds cool.. you're supposed to get it by listening their music.. and even if you get it it's not the original idea because it's from your point of view.
I don't know what you're on young man but either the dosage is way too high or you need to lighten up, it's not that fucking serious.. it's just entertainment after all, even your Burzum is.
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
23.02.2009 - 21:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Metalhead2 on 23.02.2009 at 21:30

Because everyone who prefers quantity is either Christian , democrat or humanist. Democrats and humanists are Christians so you are Christian.

the funniest thing I ever read on a forum no matter where. This implies a democrat is a christian and a republican isn't.

And this quality quantity argument is even funnier. So Cannibal Corpse is quantity? Btw I don't ile CC at all. Then please enlighten us with your profound knowledges as to what constitutes quality here and what constitutes quantiyt. And since we are currently in a thread on a Cannibal Snore interview thread please keep it limited to death metal, oh holy mighty one.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2009 - 21:53
Bas
Retired Staff

but some of you don't seem to be able to understand it.

DAMNIT and I tried so hard
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
23.02.2009 - 21:55
Darkside Momo
Retired

Quote:

You didn't know why you wanted that so that is the reason why you are not underground anymore. I don't care about my ego at all, I just want to show truth to people but some of you don't seem to be able to understand it.

Thank you, oh mighty one

Written by Metalhead2 on 24.05.2008 at 19:36

And Lyrically I do not enjoy black metal, I hate it lyrically cuz:
1.I am Christian(althought bands like Beherit are often played on my comp)
2.They scream so you dont understand them anyway
3.The best black metal made kids who were less than 20 so their level of lyrics is not that high

So you prefer quantity over quality too, I suppose ?
Oh, excuse me Oh Enlightened One, maybe you've made your coming out and are not Christian anymore?
Anyway, I really wonder where you're getting this 'logic' from
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
23.02.2009 - 21:59
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
I can answer to that.. from anus, the correct question would be: Whose anus?
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
23.02.2009 - 22:00
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion

Don't mind me, carry on.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
23.02.2009 - 22:13
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Angelique on 23.02.2009 at 21:59

I can answer to that.. from anus, the correct question would be: Whose anus?

Sure!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
23.02.2009 - 23:06
otto

I don't care about my ego at all, I just want to show truth to people but some of you don't seem to be able to understand it.

Indeed, no need to care about your ego, seems that it can manage very well without you.

1+1=42
Are you talking about non-euclidian truth?? You shoggie !
23.02.2009 - 23:09
rageing atheist
Account deleted

Nice argumentation

EDIT: damn, otto beat me to it.
24.02.2009 - 03:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Darkside Momo on 23.02.2009 at 21:55

Quote:

Thank you, oh mighty one

Written by Metalhead2 on 24.05.2008 at 19:36

And Lyrically I do not enjoy black metal, I hate it lyrically cuz:
1.I am Christian(althought bands like Beherit are often played on my comp)
2.They scream so you dont understand them anyway
3.The best black metal made kids who were less than 20 so their level of lyrics is not that high

So you prefer quantity over quality too, I suppose ?
Oh, excuse me Oh Enlightened One, maybe you've made your coming out and are not Christian anymore?
Anyway, I really wonder where you're getting this 'logic' from

Dammit Darkside! You beat me to it! Apparently he changes religious beliefs like socks as well.

But alas, I will try and spell it out for his holiness Metalhead2 so perhaps by some off chance it will get into his thick skull. So heres an open letter:

Dear Metalhead2:
As it has already been noted, you have only been into metal for 2 years, quantity over quality is not relevant when it comes to actual life experience. You telling others who have been into metal for decades longer than you "the facts" of metal is the equivalent of me telling a war veteran exactly what a certain war was like. Following me so far? Good. I speak for most of the MetalStorm community when I ask you to supply actual support for your arguments that aren't copied and pasted from asshole.com, in other words - your own experience and your own thoughts (this is where you will notice the argument weighs heavily in the favour of the people who have been into metal for longer than a matter of months). As Angelique has already stated, that childish website you seem to go to to get your personality is trying to state opinions as black & white, which any sane person knows is simply ridiculous.

As I believe Destroyah has already stated, we all understand the immature desire to gain respect through being underground or elitist, it seems to be part of the maturing process for any metalhead. The frustrating difference between you and most others is that most eventually realize the degree of their own ignorance, humble themselves, then learn to listen to those who evidently know much more about the subject than you. This humbling entails dropping the cartoon-like elitism, becoming open minded, listening to the words of your elders, and removing your head from your ass. I hope for your sake that this happens soon, or else your going to lead a lonely, sex deprived life.

Lastly I will address your hypocrisy. While it is already widely known that you seem to change opinions (as well as religious beliefs) as frequently as one changes a pair of socks, I would rather address the content of your argument against Cannibal Corpse. You say they destroyed Death Metal by commercializing it, yet you are a fan of Burzum whom you can easily attain merchandise of through pretty much any major band merch retailer, as well as supplying records world-wide to the largest music store chains. I'm pretty sure Varg has some control over these copy writes, therefore obviously makes money from it. The only difference being CC's world-wide fame was not achieved by stabbing someone in the back (quite literally) and being an arsonist, all opinions aside.

My final note is simply one word that really echoes through my head every time I read through one of your ridiculous posts. Keep in mind I do not use this word often, in fact I avoid it whenever possible, but this really calls for it. I will let dictionary.com say it for me though:

Quote:
poseur

noun
a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not

In case all the properly written English has hurt your little brain, I'll sum up the point of this letter:
1. Shut the fuck up, leave this site (seeing as you already know everything there is to know about metal, I'm not sure why you haven't already)
2. Stop copying and pasting your opinions from a site written by 16 year olds (or those with the brains of an adolescent)
3. Humble yourself (in other words, pull your head out of your ass)
4. Form a solid opinion of your own, keep it and treasure it (for more than a few months), grow to understand it to the point where you can defend it on your own.
5. Return to this site - apologize for your arrogance, and assuming you have followed step #3, begin posting again.

On behalf of anyone who agrees with me (which is many people I assume)-

Love,
Dr.Rock
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.02.2009 - 05:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Mr. Metalhead2, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.02.2009 - 05:44
totaliteraliter

The funny thing is that Metalhead2 doesn't even seem to understand the basics of the ANUS position he's been brainwashed by (an evangelist who doesn't understand his cause is always amusing).

The criticisms of the ANUS article seem to miss the mark as well, mind you. It's trolling, stylized history designed to weed out undesirables and proselytize for their ideology. It's like the bible, if you read it as literal history you're missing the point.
24.02.2009 - 07:55
DreamWeaver

Cannibal Corpse are such sellouts
----
24.02.2009 - 15:41
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
For once I agree with something Totaliteraliter wrote - metalhead2 is a troll, please dear Metal Stormers do yourself a favor and ignore him.
25.02.2009 - 08:45
Sy-Furr

Prefect! Need more!
25.02.2009 - 10:18
armageddon

Written by U47 on 23.02.2009 at 01:02

It's quite funny reading comments like "when this or that band becomes popular I can't listen to them anymore", which is - in my eyes - the same thing as to say "I can only listen to things that are popular". Do you guys care about the music or do you just want to be underground, cause if you're underground you're really different than all the other people out there. I think if you want to be different to the "mainstream" you should not care about it (what you obviously do, because if the others like it, you can't like it anymore)

I agree with you completely.

Btw nice interview Baz.
----
"Whenever you're pissed off, just remember that it's better than being pissed on"
12.04.2009 - 00:52
TormentoR.

Shit i love interviews with Fisher. he curses alot
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
11.08.2009 - 02:29
wormdrink414

Written by TormentoR. on 12.04.2009 at 00:52

Shit i love interviews with Fisher. he curses alot

My friend brought a sign that said "Fuck the Alliance" in red paint to the last Corpse show in Portland, quoting Corpsegrinder from his now infamous World of Warcraft interview from a couple years ago. Got it signed by the whole band, and all of Behemoth (the lucky bastard).
20.08.2009 - 20:29
Kingface

Really interesting interview. Great stuff!:metal:

Hits total: 13163 | This month: 5