08. Romanticide
09. Ghost Love Score
10. Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan
11. Higher Than Hope
12. White Night Fantasy [bonus]
13. Live To Tell The Tale [bonus]
14. Where Were You Last Night [Ankie Bagger cover] [bonus]
+ Nemo [video]

Before hearing the 'Nemo' single, I was looking forward to this new album of Nightwish (one of my favourite bands by the way). After hearing this single I was even more looking forward to the full-length. After listening to Once a good dozen times, I realize I was so better-off before. I hate saying that, like almost all the fans it twists my bowels to criticize Nightwish, but Once is to me terribly disappointing. Maybe I've heard too much about it, about the use of an orchestra, about the heavier riffs, Tarja's best performance ever?

Though, the album starts off really well with 'Dark Chest Of Wonders' that ressuscitates a certain heaviness that was absent since Wishmaster. 'Wish I Had Angel' sounds a bit like Century Child's songs, but shows an excellent use of the vocals duet of Tarja Turunen and Marco Hietala. This song is a bit common but good anyway. 'Nemo' after that is a real killer, the kind of song that grows on you after twenty seconds and decides to live in your head forever. Undoubtedly this is the best song of the album, along with the following, 'Planet Hell', a really aggressive one, in the vein of Oceanborn. To keep going with the positive points, the use of the orchestra is brilliant. They were probably expected to fall in the trap of overusing it, as most bands do when they are given this chance, but no, the bits are cleverly dispatched here and there, without covering the rest of the music, without taking too much importance, actually the orchestra is here only to enhance the quality of some instrumental parts. It's all the contrary compared to the last Dimmu Borgir for example, and it's an excellent surprise, as I was expecting something like a new Therion-wannabe.

So you're gonna ask me, if I like it so much, why the hell do I say that I'm disappointed? Well, the answer is: reread the previous paragraph, and you'll notice I'm only talking about the first four songs. After these ones, the high standard of Once suddenly collapses. 'Creek Mary's Blood' is certainly the worst and lamest song they've ever dared record: it's supposedly an epic song? well, ok, then why, if it's epic, is it so cheesy and mellow? And what is with this Amerindian guy reciting his poem for two minutes without music? The whole song is based on good intentions and the will to create something different, but it's just so long? The rest of the album is better, but without real interest. I mean indifference quickly settles down, and the only thing that makes you realize Once is over is this strange and unusual feeling that your house is too quiet without loud music. I'm being nasty here, actually one song among the last seven caught my attention, the ballad 'Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan': I don't know whether I noticed it because of the singing in Finnish or the real quality of the song, but it's a nice ballad overall.

Finally, I hate sounding nostalgic, but when you hear Oceanborn and Wishmaster, admittedly their two masterpieces, and then this Once, don't you dare tell me it's the same level... Actually the best parts of Once are when Hietala sings. Brings out a bit of change, especially since I am also slightly disappointed with Tarja's voice, which doesn't sound as powerful as before. I have the bitter impression that Nightwish starts letting go, that they think they're the best, the leaders in their genre, so they don't have to work, in other words, I have the feeling that they've caught the Children Of Bodom syndrom. This is the reason for the low rating. You're not untouchable, so now c'mon guys, WAKE UP!

Highlights: the first four songs, plus Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan

Written by Deadsoulman | 30.06.2004

Guest review by
Spyroid
Rating:
I would say that this is something as uncommon as a perfect (when it comes to rating) album with flaws! I used to claim that every perfect album needs to have unity, and be totally free of any letdown songs/flaws. And Once, plus a handful other albums, are the exceptions to the rule of mine.

Nightwish are one of the most professional bands out there. When I listen to 'Once', I can't find any flaws at all in the musicianship. All the good songs are perfectly completed compositions and their lyrics are tastefull and interesting. The choirs and orchestra are perfectly blended with the really Heavy Metal riffs and drums, and the piano/keyboard pieces are great. Toumas is probably the reincarnation of Mozart and I would guess that his father is Howard Shore or Andrew Lloyd Webber. This is soundtrack metal at it's finest. Since I love cheesy epic soundtracks, this of course appeals to me!

Read more ››
published 05.10.2007 | Comments (7)

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 61   [ 6 ignored ]   Visited by: 290 users
14.07.2010 - 23:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deadsoulman on 14.07.2010 at 22:56

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.07.2010 at 21:27

Written by vezzy on 14.07.2010 at 21:22

Collin listened to Nightwish 6 years ago.

He confided in me during a more emotional drunk moment that actually listens to them and still likes them a lot

And then we hugged, and then the rest is NSFW.

Yes, we hugged, we cuddled and we licked out each other's ears, etc etc. Nudge nudge wink wink say no more
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.07.2010 - 23:11
Thryce
Retired Staff
Marcel likes Collin, Marcel likes Collin!
----
Your favorite band sucks.
14.07.2010 - 23:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Thryce on 14.07.2010 at 23:11

You don't know the half of it
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.07.2010 - 23:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.07.2010 at 23:00
Yes, we hugged, we cuddled and we licked out each other's ears, etc etc. Nudge nudge wink wink say no more

Monty Python fan eh? lol
15.07.2010 - 21:52
vezzy
Stallmanite
Stay tuned for another episode of "A [G]Day in the Life of the Average Metalstormers".
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.07.2010 - 21:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Irritable Ted on 15.07.2010 at 21:39

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.07.2010 at 23:12

Written by Thryce on 14.07.2010 at 23:11

You don't know the half of it

..and I always thought you had feelings for me....I feel cheated....you rat.

I also hold feelings for you dear. But at times I need some young meat instead of old. Having the two of you keeps it interesting for the three of us. One day I want pork pie and the other some froglegs in garlic sauce, simple as that.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2010 - 22:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Irritable Ted on 15.07.2010 at 22:07

But I want you to myself, my big teddy bear.

OK, this is getting weird now.

you think so?
I think we''re just getting started. I wonder how long it will take before the three of us will freak everyone out
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2010 - 22:14
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2010 at 22:09

Written by Irritable Ted on 15.07.2010 at 22:07

But I want you to myself, my big teddy bear.

OK, this is getting weird now.

you think so?
I think we''re just getting started. I wonder how long it will take before the three of us will freak everyone out

Mission Accomplished

the Spam Lords are on a Gay spree
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.07.2010 - 22:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Irritable Ted on 15.07.2010 at 22:13

I'm afraid I have been cheating on you. Last week I was in Spain watching the world cup final in a town square with 300 Spaniards.

And let me guess you were supporting them as well?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2010 - 22:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If it's any consolation I feel extremely uncomfortable right now. Like you just walked in on your parents. With a goat. Called Mandy.
15.07.2010 - 22:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 15.07.2010 at 22:26

If it's any consolation I feel extremely uncomfortable right now. Like you just walked in on your parents. With a goat. Called Mandy.

How the hell do you know my goat is called Mandy?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2010 - 22:32
InnerSelf
proofread free
Some are getting a bit shy and actually stoped posting seems like Mandy was a bit to weird
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.07.2010 - 22:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
That was an excellent episode. Ratings are getting ever higher!
----
15.07.2010 - 22:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Sorry I can't reply, I'm too busy giving myself a DIY lobotomy... girble flop brong *dribble*
15.07.2010 - 23:14
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 15.07.2010 at 22:43

Sorry I can't reply, I'm too busy giving myself a DIY lobotomy... girble flop brong *dribble*

Be careful, dude. Dahmer tried to do one of those with drill bits and hydrochloric acid... didn't work out too well.
----
15.07.2010 - 23:16
Deadsoulman

I feel left out and in need of a hairy cuddle.
15.07.2010 - 23:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 15.07.2010 at 23:14

Be careful, dude. Dahmer tried to do one of those with drill bits and hydrochloric acid... didn't work out too well.

As long as it stops me thinking about certain metalstorm members doing very wrong things to one another then it'd be a success...
15.07.2010 - 23:23
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 15.07.2010 at 23:19

Written by vezzy on 15.07.2010 at 23:14

As long as it stops me thinking about certain metalstorm members doing very wrong things to one another then it'd be a success...

But it's getting high ratings! Profit! $$$! Capitali-... Eh...
----
15.07.2010 - 23:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deadsoulman on 15.07.2010 at 23:16

Hey my smelly string of onions cme here. I will give you a cuddle while I marinate your snails and frogs legs in garlic.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 00:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2010 at 23:49

Written by Deadsoulman on 15.07.2010 at 23:16

Hey my smelly string of onions cme here. I will give you a cuddle while I marinate your snails and frogs legs in garlic.

D=
16.07.2010 - 00:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I regret ever visiting this review and am going to go gouge my eyeballs out with a grapefruit spoon now.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.07.2010 - 10:53
Deadsoulman

Written by BitterCOld on 16.07.2010 at 00:36

I regret ever visiting this review and am going to go gouge my eyeballs out with a grapefruit spoon now.

You're just saying that. In fact you're jealous and want to join the cuddle. There's always room for one more, y'know.
16.07.2010 - 11:26
vezzy
Stallmanite
Collin likes sellout Anthrax! Apparently...
----
31.08.2012 - 07:19
Thor Meister

Collin! You gave over 10 AC/DC albums higher ratings than Once! That, my good sir, is ridiculous! You like AC/DC albums which are super repetitive, not very original, and not artistic at all in any sense over one of the greatest albums, Once, that I know of. Once is such a good album worthy of at least an 8. I understand your plight about the first four tracks being really strong and the rest being less strong, but how can you ignore such amazing, fun tracks such as Dead Gardens, Ghost Love Score, White Night Fantasy, The Siren? These tracks deserve immense credit. After all, Tuomas' favorite song on the album is Ghost Love Score which is easily among Nightwish's top 5 songs. Don't get me wrong, Nemo is an incredible song, but don't you think that it is a little bit of a "gotta have a huge hit single" type of a mainstream song. This goes for Wish I Had An Angel also. Anyways, I hope you listen more to the albums you review in the future.
03.12.2012 - 02:27
BlackWard

Looks like Collin is not easy to please... He rather has a new album that sounds the same as the previous in stead of accepting that musicians (usually) like to experiment in the music and with their instruments and their writingskills...
Shame he wrote this 8 years ago and I've read this today..
03.12.2012 - 02:28
BlackWard

Thor meister... Tuomas' favourite Once song is Creek mary's Blood ;-)
21.01.2013 - 04:05
Epictemptation

I love this album so much. Don't review an album based on your opinions, you have to review and album that will go well for all audience of the metal community.
----
04.03.2015 - 15:38
Deadsoulman

A decade later, the only song I still listen to occasionally is Ghost Love Score, which I didn't mention at all in this review. And I'd rate this album at least a full point lower.
27.08.2016 - 00:35
Rating: 9
BlankFile

The Siren is the best song of the album, IMO. Dark Chest of Wonders and Ghost Love Score are very good aswell.

A very good album, altough not their best.
19.09.2017 - 19:10
darkthrone

I think ghost love score is the stand out song here in my opinion

Hits total: 19901 | This month: 39