Metal Storm logo
Stratovarius - Announce New Album

Original news, posted on 22.02.2009

Stratovarius will release their brand new studio album, "Polaris", on May 21st, 2009. This new album will see a worldwide release by the band's new label partner edel under the new imprint earMUSIC outside of Asia, and the band's long time label partner for Asia, JVC.

Jens Johansson states, "We are very happy to have found strong label partners for the future of Stratovarius who truly believe in the band and are as enthusiastic as we are. I can't wait to hit the road again and meet all fans who supported us through all our good and bad times."

Max Vaccaro, of earMUSIC / edel adds: "We are very honoured to welcome Stratovarius in our family; "Polaris" is in fact a special album for edel. Like for Stratovarius, it's a sort of new start, we are in fact entering a new exciting chapter in our lives, the launch of a the new label earMUSIC, to coincide with the release of this fantastic new album with a renewed line-up and an overwhelming energy. One thing is for sure, Stratovarius fans will agree with us in welcoming the extraordinary talent of the new guitar player Matias Kupiainen and immediately reckon "Polaris" to be a true Stratovarius classic."

Says Seigo Horiuchi of JVC/Victor Entertainment, Inc., Japan: "We are proud of our long and successful history with this great band and are very excited to be a part of their new beginning."

In September 2008 the band found the freedom to go into seclusion for almost a month in a cottage by the sea in a Finnish forest to relax, laugh, write songs, be creative together, and record. And they found themselves being a band reborn. The result is a melodic, powerful, fresh, tight, and technically elaborate new album. Powerful melodies mingle with sophisticated arrangements, strong anthems stand alongside heavy songs. There are 11 songs full of energy, musicianship, and a positive outlook.

"Polaris" was recorded in the fall 2008 at Hästholmen and 5by5 studios, Helsinki, Finland. It was mixed by the legendary Mikko Karmila, who has a long history with the band.

Vocalist Timo Kotipelto explains, "Polaris is a positive, powerful album that Stratovarius fans all over the world are certain to take to their hearts."

The band will support the release of their new studio album with a massive world tour. The tour will start in the UK, followed by European dates. September will see Stratovarius playing live shows in Asia, followed by a full North and South American tour in September/October. A European headliner tour is scheduled for January 2010.

UPDATE (thanks to ShadowedFire88)

Here are the "Polaris" cover artwork and tracklisting:

01. Deep Unknown
02. Falling Star
03. King Of Nothing
04. Blind
05. Winter Skies
06. Forever Is Today
07. Higher We Go
08. Somehow Precious
09. Emancipation Suite: I Dusk
10. Emancipation Suite: II Dawn
11. When Mountains Fall

The cover artwork is created by Gyula Havancsák.

Source: stratovarius.com
Band profile: Stratovarius
Posted: 13.03.2009 by Kallis Helmi

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 50   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 358 users
13.03.2009 - 19:04
Janne
Hugin
I like the cover artwork!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
13.03.2009 - 19:06
DBrave

Nice cover!
13.03.2009 - 19:44
Akke920

A hotel in my region is called ''Polaris'' it's really shitty... and has started to fall apart xD
13.03.2009 - 19:56
VPeter

It can't become that bad as many here make out of it, at least they took care of the rotten bad part of the band - Timo Tolkki.
13.03.2009 - 23:07
Symmachus

I will admit to loving this album cover. Anything with a fairy lady in space along with those satellites seems something nice to look at, especially if the earth is rotting below them.
14.03.2009 - 05:02
Stratowarrior

The cover is fucking awesome!!!! the best cover all time
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
14.03.2009 - 05:33
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Guest on 22.02.2009 at 21:59

I'm so confused...weren't they broken up and all of a sudden they're back with a new album? That's pretty out of nowhere...Stratovarius never ceases to confuse the shit out of me...

I was going to say the same.
A last album to getmoney for their retirement fund? A last album with a big big tour. That which will probably be on DVD. Good sale strategy.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
14.03.2009 - 07:54
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
The artwork is jus amazing! A situation like this is very sad, I'm not a great Stratovarius fan at all, but come on, Tolkki made his own band a long time ago and now they just come and use his band's name? That must be frustrating.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
14.03.2009 - 13:47
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Stratowarrior on 14.03.2009 at 05:02

The cover is fucking awesome!!!! the best cover all time

Almost agrees, it totally kix azz!
14.03.2009 - 14:08
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Wow, the covers looks like one for a space simulation game
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
14.03.2009 - 15:11
In Bone Factory

The cover looks like computer games cover.cool n e way.I hope so for the music.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
14.03.2009 - 15:54
Enissa

The Tracklist looks promising...The artwork is awesome!!!!!
15.03.2009 - 02:02
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Daggon on 14.03.2009 at 07:54

The artwork is jus amazing! A situation like this is very sad, I'm not a great Stratovarius fan at all, but come on, Tolkki made his own band a long time ago and now they just come and use his band's name? That must be frustrating.

Actually Tolkki wasn't one of the original members, but he made the band his own by taking over creative control and kicking out the founders of the band one by one. And it was him who kicked out all the other guys during the last six years or so, but later on decided to let them have the Stratovarius moniker and just go on with Revolution Renaissance himself.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
15.03.2009 - 02:46
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Promonex on 15.03.2009 at 02:02

Written by Daggon on 14.03.2009 at 07:54

Actually Tolkki wasn't one of the original members, but he made the band his own by taking over creative control and kicking out the founders of the band one by one. And it was him who kicked out all the other guys during the last six years or so, but later on decided to let them have the Stratovarius moniker and just go on with Revolution Renaissance himself.

Ah ok thanks for the note man, still it is a sad new IMO.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
15.03.2009 - 06:29
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
This album is gonna be great no matter what... Stratovarius is always good, its like Angra, impossible to release a bad album
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.03.2009 - 07:09
DoomGuard

Written by Sanzo on 22.02.2009 at 18:55

Launch the Polaris
The end doesn't scare us
When will this cease
The warheads will all rust in peace

nice sir...nice
18.03.2009 - 18:05
ms68

Written by Enissa on 14.03.2009 at 15:54

do you want to know what is AWESOME? check this http://www.cabinfevermedia.com/main/index.html
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
20.03.2009 - 17:06
Enissa

Written by ms68 on 18.03.2009 at 18:05

do you want to know what is AWESOME? check this http://www.cabinfevermedia.com/main/index.html

and what the hell is that???
20.03.2009 - 21:08
ms68

Written by Enissa on 20.03.2009 at 17:06

what the fuck is the meaning of what the hell is that?? nothing but awesome artworks
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
24.03.2009 - 22:49
Enissa

Written by ms68 on 20.03.2009 at 21:08

Written by Enissa on 20.03.2009 at 17:06

what the fuck is the meaning of what the hell is that?? nothing but awesome artworks

Well, you msy excuse me i didnt look up what that link is!

Hits total: 6132 | This month: 9