Hecatomb - Impaled Apocalypse review

Reviewer:
Band: Hecatomb
Album: Impaled Apocalypse
Release date: 2006

01. Sworn To The Red
02. Postmortal Pleasure
03. I, Misanthroph
04. Orgasm By The Bloodsucker (Or Rape Of The Haxan)
05. Cold But Undead
06. Barbaric Deformity
07. Dehumanization Of Totalitarian Pshycopath
08. Apocalyptic War Declaration
09. Gore Dream

I truly love when a band opens a CD with a head-crushing tune; in this case, Hecatomb from Turkey hooked me instantly with "Sworn To The Red", a song that successfully represents the whole record by wrapping 4 minutes with brutal music, super-catchy riffing, complex guitar solos, intense bass-lines and incredibly varied drumming.

This band has a lot of things for us to love; the musicianship showed is really not that complex if you know what I mean, but what truly amazed me were their songwriting skills. Hecatomb can grab a common riff and easily turn it into something explosive and powerful; this also adds a lot of versatility to the mix, as the structures become diverse and even multi-faceted at times. Actually, these Turkish guys have the classic Old-School vibe going on; their environment is similar to what Morbid Angel and even Suffocation used to write in their old works (specially in their breakdowns).

Another amazing feature comes in the lyrical content; I guess this is the first time I see a Death Metal band growling Black Metal words. This guys talk about Vlad Tepes, Dracula, Nachzehrer and all those dark things found in books about vampirism and all. I love their lyrics don't get me wrong; it's actually great to hear Death Metal brutality while reading the full story of Lilith (tracks: 2, 4 and 5), a woman who first turned into the undead sect, then celebrates an orgiastic ceremony and finally kills some random necrophiliacs who tried to rape her undead corpse?.now those are brilliant lyrics don't you think?

I surely wasn't expecting this album to be so good; "Impaled Apocalypse" is totally worthwhile if you are an Extreme Metal follower; in fact, the versatility of this album makes it suitable for all audience. Highly Recommended!!!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by Herzebeth | 09.07.2006

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 12 users
10.07.2006 - 12:01
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
8/10 by Herz, is good enough for me to get this!
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."

Hits total: 3805 | This month: 6