Metal Storm logo
Gojira, Trepalium, Dwail in Toulouse (France)

Event: Gojira: French Tour
Written by: Darkside Momo, FreakyMarge
Published: 26.02.2009

Galleries:

Gojira + Trepalium + Dwail, Toulouse, France, 07/02/09 by Moocher (30)
Trepalium + Gojira - Toulouse, France, 07.02.2009 by FreakyMarge (38)

Momo: This cold Saturday evening here in Toulouse saw many people coming to see nowadays' biggest French metal band: Gojira.
Marge: Yep, the best venue of Toulouse welcomes one of the best French metal bands that Saturday. The Bikini is known for its perfect acoustics, and we were quite impatient to see the phenomenon-band playing live here.

Dwail
Momo: Well, the Metalstorm delegation was delayed at the entrance... So we completely missed Dwail's show. And we were not alone in this case, because most people took their time to come, it seems.
Marge: For my part, I've heard very enthusiastic reviews in the public. I had the opportunity to see Dwail performing a few days later, and the show was full of energy, straight to the point, with a good communication with the crowd. The band is from Toulouse and has a good fan base in the city and all around. They play as often as they can, and that was a great opportunity for them to open this show tonight.
Momo: So check their myspace to make up your own mind about it.

Trepalium
Momo: After the really cool interview we made earlier (available soon!) with these guys, I was really curious to see them live.
And well, this was a blast! Their groovy death metal is really good and mosh-pit friendly. Oh well, I suppose, because we're already facing the main problem of this evening: the audience. Not reactive, quite dull and soft... So you've guessed, there were nearly no mosh-pits, and not that much headbanging either. Sure, the new album wasn't released yet, but the new songs are catchy and aggressive as hell, and the band was full of energy and conviction.
But well, whatever.
Marge: Trepalium had the tough role to play just before Gojira, but I think their performance has convinced the most of the crowd, even if it stayed quite static. The third album of the band is very promising, and I think that they gave a very good idea of what we will find in it this night. Not that easy to describe their music, full of various influences. The jazzy parts were very interesting, bringing to their performance an original and personal side. I think that Trepalium has found a real identity and their show was a good combination of non-compromising violence and a real groovy playing. To finish the set, we had a stage diving form the singer, and an evident feeling of pleasure to have played here from the entire band.
Momo: But well, as the band told us before, had the audience been better, they would have asked for a 'wall of death'. You know the stuff: separate the crowd in two, and then... Mosh!
And I agree, XIII, their new album, is VERY good. Check it out!

Gojira
Momo: As usual, Gojira, faithful to its namesake, just crushed everything in its path. Tight, precise, technical, groovy, you name it.
Joe was, as always, concentrating on singing, while Christian and Jean-Michel were more active, moving here and there, headbanging, and so on.
And, as I said earlier, the audience was a lazy one. Sure the cheering and support was there, but the moshpit didn't last long (and it wasn't huge either).
Roughly one half of the songs they played were taken off The Way Of All Flesh (including The Art Of Dying!, while the other half were songs taken from their three previous albums, with an emphasis on From Mars To Sirius (Backbone, From The Sky, Flying Whales).
Marge: Gojira was awaited tonight, but as you've read it, the crowd was quite calm and still. I think we could explain that by the fact that a lot of different audiences came to listen to them. Not only a pure death metal public, accustomed to be very demonstrative, but also a more progressive public, or people who were here to discover them [Momo: and also young kids not yet used to mosh pits...]. Moreover, the music itself of the band can really be enjoyed internally and deeply, while concentrating on the aura of the musicians, the perfect alchemy between them, and the complexity of the compositions. This band has to be seen on stage for sure. Even if you don't really know them, or if their music didn't convince you on CD already, it will be a perfect way to understand why Gojira is becoming that popular. The music, the lyrics and the atmosphere are perfectly mixed, and gave us the proof that metal, even quite extreme, can be profound and performed with a real sensibility and a feeling of, yes I can say that, love. We're proud of Gojira here in France, and I think you'll definitely understand why by seeing them live.

Momo: Well, you'll have understood, this was a great metal evening. So catch Trepalium and the big green beast if they play near you!

All pics by FreakyMarge, except Dwail's photos by Moocher

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 88 users
28.02.2009 - 11:58
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Siiiiick fuckin pictures. sounds legendaary
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
02.03.2009 - 03:11
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I still NEED to see Gojira headline before I die. I want my face to be indistinguishable from all the face melting it sustains during the show
----
Coldgrits
03.03.2009 - 23:34
matos

Written by -DC-002- on 02.03.2009 at 03:11

I still NEED to see Gojira headline before I die. I want my face to be indistinguishable from all the face melting it sustains during the show
i'd kill myself if i died before seeing them no seriously seeing Gojira live is on the top of my "to do list"

Anyway great pictures! but i don't see the reason why people should mosh and jump around during Gojira show, i'd probably just stand there nailed to the ground with my eyes locked on a stage and my mind somewhere far away.
----
04.03.2009 - 00:30
FreakyMarge

Written by matos on 03.03.2009 at 23:34

but i don't see the reason why people should mosh and jump around during Gojira show, i'd probably just stand there nailed to the ground with my eyes locked on a stage and my mind somewhere far away.

Yeah, that was my case, definitely !
----
Stay freaky!
04.03.2009 - 12:10
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Nice shoots

And thanks for this concert review.

I wasn't able to be at the date of this tour in my town. But a job colleague went to this date and he found Gojira's performance awesome.

Fortunately for me, it remains the Hellfest to catch this incredible band on stage during this year.
04.03.2009 - 23:01
FreakyMarge

Written by White Winter Sun on 04.03.2009 at 12:10

Fortunately for me, it remains the Hellfest to catch this incredible band on stage during this year.

Exactly! Gojira will be at Hellfest, don 't miss it!
----
Stay freaky!
05.03.2009 - 01:13
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Written by FreakyMarge on 04.03.2009 at 23:01

Exactly! Gojira will be at Hellfest, don 't miss it!

Of course, I'll do my best to be over there. For me, it will be one of the highlights of the festival.
03.06.2009 - 14:02
DWAIL
Account deleted
Thanks for the review
03.06.2009 - 16:03
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Guest on 03.06.2009 at 14:02

Thanks for the review

You're welcome!
And welcome to Metalstorm too!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
27.10.2014 - 16:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Still haven't fucking seen these guys (Gojira) live, after having several opportunities, arrrrghhh
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
27.10.2014 - 16:05
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.10.2014 at 16:02

Still haven't fucking seen these guys (Gojira) live, after having several opportunities, arrrrghhh

Been a while for me (since this show, I think ) but yes you should. They were pretty intense live - and for all I know they still are
----

I am awake"
27.10.2014 - 18:08
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Darkside Momo on 27.10.2014 at 16:05

Been a while for me (since this show, I think ) but yes you should. They were pretty intense live - and for all I know they still are

I actually did see them open for Metallica back in 08, but I arrived to only catch like their final two songs, and at that time I had no clue who they were, so yeah... not as intense as seeing a full set today would be.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
28.10.2014 - 02:37
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.10.2014 at 18:08

Written by Darkside Momo on 27.10.2014 at 16:05

I actually did see them open for Metallica back in 08, but I arrived to only catch like their final two songs, and at that time I had no clue who they were, so yeah... not as intense as seeing a full set today would be.

That's for sure. As they've certainly made enough contacts on your side of the pond, I guess you'll be able to see them one day or another Don't be late this time, you'll miss more than just one note
----

I am awake"
28.10.2014 - 02:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Darkside Momo on 28.10.2014 at 02:37

That's for sure. As they've certainly made enough contacts on your side of the pond, I guess you'll be able to see them one day or another Don't be late this time, you'll miss more than just one note

I REALLY wanted to catch this Mastodon/Gojira/Kvelertak tour that's currently ongoing, but the closest it's coming to my turf is Atlanta on the 7th, and that's one hell of a drive from West Palm Beach
----

~ II. VII
28.10.2014 - 02:43
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Auntie Sahar on 28.10.2014 at 02:39

Written by Darkside Momo on 28.10.2014 at 02:37

I REALLY wanted to catch this Mastodon/Gojira/Kvelertak tour that's currently ongoing, but the closest it's coming to my turf is Atlanta on the 7th, and that's one hell of a drive from West Palm Beach

Forgot about that tour, yeah. and after checking on Google Maps, yes it is a bit far for a drive. Train or plane, maybe (but that's certainly more expensive)?
----

I am awake"

Hits total: 7180 | This month: 6