Metal Storm logo
The Metal Storm Awards '08 - Discuss The Results

01.03.2009 - 01:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
So, the results are published! Congratulations to the winners, better luck next time to the losers!

Here's the place to discuss the results, but keep in mind: these are the results of YOUR votes.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.03.2009 - 01:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
O man... I watched the results just now.

I'm both happy and really pissed off.
Only 3 bands I voted for won [Cult Of Luna, Misery Index, Esoteric]
Mar de Grises didn't won for the doom category. But that's ok since it was really really tight between that one and Virgin Black so I'm happy for that as well.

I disliked the results for black metal... The first 3 albums [Darkthrone, Nachtmystium, Dark Fortress].
I mean, they are good.... But not THAT good.
I really wanted A Forest Of Stars to win the black metal category... they didn't even win the best debut album

O well... But like I said before Iäm also very happy with some results.
It was a nice year... I discovered a lot of bands thanks to this award. I'm already waiting for MS Awards 2009
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2009 - 01:56
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I knew that "The Unspoken King" would win the biggest letdown award from a mile away.
01.03.2009 - 01:57
Ragana
Rawrcat
Aye, I was pretty surprised about Darkthrone too. Ok, that's my problem I slightly can listen to them, but seriously, have I missed something that good?

Actually I forgot about the awards, so the funniest thing is that there are only few bands I've voted for, haha. But I'm ok with it, no harm done. In fact, I guess my vote for Heaven Shall Burn helped them to win in the metalcore section.

Conclusion? Oh, I will definitely be more careful with bands and new releases next (this) year, so there shouldn't be any big surprises about the nominees (which I rarely knew this time).
01.03.2009 - 01:59
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Damn, a lot of my votes weren't even in the results. Epic disappointment
01.03.2009 - 02:02
Galar
Wicked Mung
Written by Dangerboner on 01.03.2009 at 01:59

Damn, a lot of my votes weren't even in the results. Epic disappointment

Same...Im gong to go hang myself, see ya!
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
01.03.2009 - 02:03
Phobophobia
Only three of my choices won also, and two of them (Amon Amarth and Metallica) were obvious frontrunners. I was definately disappointed by the lack of votes the somewhat unknown bands received, especially in complete blowouts like Alternative and Thrash, where veteran bands that released albums I beleived were mediocre still dominated.

But mostly I'm pissed that for the second year in a row a completely bland metalcore album managed to beat an amazing release, and this year, to make things worse, bullet for my valentine practically won.

Well on the bright side I found many amazing albums, so I guess I'm happy with the awards, just not the results.
01.03.2009 - 02:14
Omnio
Account deleted
I just want to know how you can vote for the Oceans of Sadness album over the Virus album, I wasn't thrilled with some other of the results, but that one confuses me the most.
01.03.2009 - 02:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Honestly, if there was a popular band nominated in a genre and you expected another act to win - even if the popular band released a sub-par album and the lesser known band recorded an amazing album - you are an idiot.

same results different year.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2009 - 02:54
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Guest on 01.03.2009 at 01:56

I knew that "The Unspoken King" would win the biggest letdown award from a mile away.

Well, they didn't...
In Flames was sure a bigger disappointment!!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.03.2009 - 03:03
Phobophobia
Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2009 at 02:52

Honestly, if there was a popular band nominated in a genre and you expected another act to win - even if the popular band released a sub-par album and the lesser known band recorded an amazing album - you are an idiot.

I wasn't so much that I expected some of the popular bands to lose, I simply hoped that they would, and was very dissapointed that it wasn't even close in a lot of cases. Oh well, I can see now that you're right, but I'll still hope for some upsets next year...
01.03.2009 - 03:10
VPeter

Amen to that. My crystal ball predicted most of the results right.
01.03.2009 - 03:11
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2009 at 02:54

Well, they didn't...

Oh shit, I read my vote as the album that won the award. I'm such an idiot.
01.03.2009 - 03:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Phobophobia on 01.03.2009 at 03:03

I wasn't so much that I expected some of the popular bands to lose, I simply hoped that they would, and was very dissapointed that it wasn't even close in a lot of cases. Oh well, I can see now that you're right, but I'll still hope for some upsets next year...

don't bother. over the last two years we've done everything we can to make it easier for MSers to check out each and every album that is nominated - providing webpage/myspace links, etc, to enable them to check out each artist.

i'd love to see webstats of how many people actually clicked those links before voting in those categories.

the only thing that surprised me is that Darkthrone won Black Metal. I really like the album (voted for Darkspace) and am happy to see it win - although i'd have been cool with any number out of that particularly strong field. I honestly thought that Satyricon would win off write-in votes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2009 - 03:12
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Guest on 01.03.2009 at 03:11

Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2009 at 02:54

Well, they didn't...

Oh shit, I read my vote as the album that won the award. I'm such an idiot.

it's sure it's confusing
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.03.2009 - 03:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

But then again they didn't
In Flames won that one with Metallica coming in second. Children Of Bodom 3rd, Guns 'n' Rose 4th, Iced Earth 5th and ONLY then Cryptopsy at nr. 6.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2009 - 03:18
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2009 at 03:15

But then again they didn't
In Flames won that one with Metallica coming in second.

Well don't blame me for reading my vote as the album that won.
01.03.2009 - 03:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Phobophobia on 01.03.2009 at 02:03

Only three of my choices won also, and two of them (Amon Amarth and Metallica) were obvious frontrunners. I was definately disappointed by the lack of votes the somewhat unknown bands received, especially in complete blowouts like Alternative and Thrash, where veteran bands that released albums I beleived were mediocre still dominated.

And yet you vote for Amon Amarth and Metallica in their respective categories? Metallica a frotrunner in the Heavy Metal category I actually find one of the single most ludicrous statements around. Although I don't agree with Testament winning at least their album was better for thrash than Metallica's for Heavy Metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2009 - 03:31
Phobophobia
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2009 at 03:23

Written by Phobophobia on 01.03.2009 at 02:03

And yet you vote for Amon Amarth and Metallica in their respective categories? Metallica a frotrunner in the Heavy Metal category I actually find one of the single most ludicrous statements around. Although I don't agree with Testament winning at least their album was better for thrash than Metallica's for Heavy Metal.

I didn't say all of my votes were for unknown bands, only that I was disapointed with some of the winners. I didn't want every well known band to lose, I just felt that some of them really shouldn't have received as many votes as they did. And what I meant when I said that Death Magnetic was a frontrunner was that it was the most well known of the albums in its category, which I don't think is ludicrous.
01.03.2009 - 03:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Phobophobia on 01.03.2009 at 03:31

...And what I meant when I said that Death Magnetic was a frontrunner was that it was the most well known of the albums in its category, which I don't think is ludicrous.

I agree with you on that one but I thought you meant it was by far the best ion that category. Btw Nostradamus by Judas Priest was just as well-known imo. But also totally not worthy of its second place.

Just you people (not only you of course) wait and see what the Staff's picks for all the categories are. I am sure you will all be in for a real shocker (especially in Heavy Metal ) and probably start calling us elitists hahahahah
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2009 - 03:54
MetalManic
The only reason why some of the bands won was not by how great their album was but rather how large their fan base is:

EX: Meshuggah wins with 394
--the next 3 runners up

Cryptopsy - The Unspoken King 78
Textures - Silhouettes 71
Burst - Lazarus Bird 70 (look how close these are)

Give me a break.! The reviewers will agree. All in all, these awards are fun but in most cases its sadly a popularity contest
01.03.2009 - 04:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by MetalManic on 01.03.2009 at 03:54

Give me a break.! The reviewers will agree. All in all, these awards are fun but in most cases its sadly a popularity contest

Yep... read what happened when Virgin Black posted a blog on their nomination... up to that point Mar De Grises (imo by far the superior album when comparing it to Virgin Black's) was about 13 votes in front and after the blog post Virgin Black surged ahead and won by around 100 votes.

But as for the category you quoted I am not disappointed Meshuggah won (although I voted for Burst) but like you said the margin is way off.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2009 - 04:02
Fhuesc
Don't get me wrong, i like this site, but i think it's just moronic that the Drama Award goes to Metalstorm vs Wiki. I mean, apart from us (users of ME) who else cares about if Metalstorm has o hasn't a place on wikipedia, ALL the other nominees had some kind of impact on the metal community, but this!!! , i hate fanboyism

I always new that To-Mera would never achieved a descent spot, but come on! Opeth an Ayreon seriously?, the same goes for Amon Amarth.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
01.03.2009 - 04:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Oh yeah... know of band members who DIDN'T vote for their own album in the category they were nominated in
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2009 - 04:09
MetalManic
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2009 at 04:01

Written by MetalManic on 01.03.2009 at 03:54

Yep... read what happened when Virgin Black posted a blog on their nomination... up to that point Mar De Grises (imo by far the superior album when comparing it to Virgin Black's) was about 13 votes in front and after the blog post Virgin Black surged ahead and won by around 100 votes.

But as for the category you quoted I am not disappointed Meshuggah won (although I voted for Burst) but like you said the margin is way off.

I did read about the Virgin Black win. Oh well.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Meshuggah album (amazing performance; not really varied) is amazing. If it wasn't for the Textures album being so monumental to me, my vote would have been 'Burst' too. I was hoping Lazarus Bird and Silhouettes would be in different categories
01.03.2009 - 04:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Fhuesc on 01.03.2009 at 04:02

Don't get me wrong, i like this site, but i think it's just moronic that the Drama Award goes to Metalstorm vs Wiki. I mean, apart from us (users of ME) who else cares about if Metalstorm has o hasn't a place on wikipedia, ALL the other nominees had some kind of impact on the metal community, but this!!! , i hate fanboyism

I always new that To-Mera would never achieved a descent spot, but come on! Opeth an Ayreon seriously?, the same goes for Amon Amarth.

Thank God To-Mera didn't achieve a top three spot they are an extreme yaaaaawwwwwwnnnnn to me. Opeth winning isn't too bad in my books, a very good album although imo Enslaved were vastly superior there. But Ayreon, well, I have always found it laughable that they were/are/and will always be regarded as something great. And as for Amon Amarth that's simple... it simple music for simple folk, and guess what, 99% of ALL metallers are simple folk ;-)

Oh btw, I agree with you on the dram awards.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2009 - 04:23
Fhuesc
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2009 at 04:16

Written by Fhuesc on 01.03.2009 at 04:02

Thank God To-Mera didn't achieve a top three spot they are an extreme yaaaaawwwwwwnnnnn to me. Opeth winning isn't too bad in my books, a very good album although imo Enslaved were vastly superior there. But Ayreon, well, I have always found it laughable that they were/are/and will always be regarded as something great. And as for Amon Amarth that's simple... it simple music for simple folk, and guess what, 99% of ALL metallers are simple folk ;-)

Oh btw, I agree with you on the dram awards.

Common sense it's has nothing to do with been simple or 1337, anyone with that, can figure out that TOTTG sucks.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
01.03.2009 - 04:40
Talvi
Metal Storm Awards: Biggest joke in metal.

We already know which band is the most popular. Cryptopsy over Textures? With the crap they released?

Just let me LOL
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
01.03.2009 - 04:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Talvi on 01.03.2009 at 04:40

Metal Storm Awards: Biggest joke in metal.

We already know which band is the most popular. Cryptopsy over Textures? With the crap they released?

Just let me LOL

Aha a pissed off fanboy, always fun.Even though I like the latest Textures it is their weakest imo whereas the latest Cryptopsy is their best by far. Thank god no more generic brutal death metal for the midless masses.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2009 - 05:06
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Septic Flesh takes over the death metal category, ... there are no words to describe this crap, except for what i just wrote.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln