Metal Storm logo
The Metal Storm Awards '08 - Discuss The Results

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.03.2009 - 01:28
So, the results are published! Congratulations to the winners, better luck next time to the losers!

Here's the place to discuss the results, but keep in mind: these are the results of YOUR votes.
03.03.2009 - 03:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Glower on 03.03.2009 at 02:25

I'm overall pleased with the results, especially for Amon Amarth.
My brother recommended I listen to Virgin Black, and they won an award, so I'll go do that now :]

better yet skip them and listen to every other artist in the Doom Metal category first.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.03.2009 - 15:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 03.03.2009 at 03:27

My brother recommended I listen to Virgin Black, and they won an award, so I'll go do that now :]

better yet skip them and listen to every other artist in the Doom Metal category first.

Damn, you, old man. I wanted to quote her and suggest the exact same thing you suggested.

But of course you ARE right here. Skip Virgin Black and check out the OTHER nominees in the doom category instead.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2009 - 19:10
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Herzebeth on 02.03.2009 at 20:32

Lol...Septic Flesh won as best Death Metal record?

ROFL

Life is full of surprises, this one grabbed me by the balls and threw a blow to my guts.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
03.03.2009 - 19:28
Nihilist Void
What the hell ........!!!!!???????
How did Darkthrone won on the category "black metal"?????"Dark thrones and black flags" it's far from being a black metal album !!!!
----
You cannot see God,but is necesary to look one time in the mirror,to see the devil.
03.03.2009 - 20:09
Smurfkiller
Account deleted

ROFL

I voted for them.
03.03.2009 - 20:21
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
IMO the new Septicflesh although it is much melodic, it deserves it's placa in the death Metal category because it's an excelent album. I'm a bit dissapointed with the thrash metal category. not so much that Testament won, but I don't like their difference of votes with all the other thrash albums (402 votes when the next one has 85....)
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
04.03.2009 - 00:31
Herzebeth
Written by Guest on 03.03.2009 at 20:09

ROFL

I voted for them.

WTF??? did you do that just for the fun of it? or do you really think Septic Flesh is a good Death Metal band...???
----
04.03.2009 - 00:42
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Herzebeth on 04.03.2009 at 00:31

ROFL

I voted for them.

WTF??? did you do that just for the fun of it? or do you really think Septic Flesh is a good Death Metal band...???

Septic Flesh is a very good atmospheric-melodic Death metal band. Surely they are not brutal as Cannibal Corpse or Suffocation not even hyper-fast as Nile or Morbid Angel but IMO what they do, they do it very well... Their sound is unique (from what I heard till now) and their last album (except the last song) is fast and aggressive..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
04.03.2009 - 01:04
Herzebeth
Death Metal is not supposed to be atmospheric hehehe. So that used to be the rule...if a Death Metal album is atmospheric then it sucks.

But it all went to shit I guess...There are dudes in the whole world thinking In Flames is Death Metal...once again "I weep For Humanity"
----
04.03.2009 - 01:43
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Herzebeth on 04.03.2009 at 01:04

Death Metal is not supposed to be atmospheric hehehe. So that used to be the rule...if a Death Metal album is atmospheric then it sucks.

But it all went to shit I guess...There are dudes in the whole world thinking In Flames is Death Metal...once again "I weep For Humanity"

I think that Septic Flesh surely are not straight Death metal. But in which style should we put them in the MS awards to be able to vote for? To be honest I didn't expect them to be in the Death metal category. About In Flames they surely never played Death. They have 2-3 albums which are close in Melodic Death but IMO even that they do not "reach" it.
----
04.03.2009 - 04:42
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Written by Herzebeth on 04.03.2009 at 00:31

ROFL

I voted for them.

Yes, I think Septic Flesh is a good death metal band.
04.03.2009 - 06:52
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Shit, Dark Suns video still gives me creeps, dunno, it is scary hehe. They deserved to win the video category... or Dream Theater... or Kamelot... Well I voted for Dream Theater, I like the kinda anime video for "Forsaken".
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
04.03.2009 - 17:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

Since when was that a rule?

Nocturnus - The Key atmospheric
Morbid Angel - Blessed Ar The Sick atmospheric.
SOme oild Therion atmospheric as well
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2009 - 23:06
Glower
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2009 at 15:56

Damn, you, old man. I wanted to quote her and suggest the exact same thing you suggested.

But of course you ARE right here. Skip Virgin Black and check out the OTHER nominees in the doom category instead.

Haha.
Yeah, I've listened to them once before, didn't really enjoy it, but then my brother mentioned them again the other day and I though, eh why not?
Still haven't done it yet though, heh.
05.03.2009 - 03:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2009 at 17:36

Since when was that a rule?

Nocturnus - The Key atmospheric

Noctunus isn't atmospheric - they just use keyboards.
05.03.2009 - 06:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Glower on 04.03.2009 at 23:06

Yeah, I've listened to them once before, didn't really enjoy it, but then my brother mentioned them again the other day and I though, eh why not?

we weren't really joking. not sure if doom is your thing or not, but VB was the most "popular" of the acts listed (or at least had the most active self promotion on their website), but the other albums were far superior.

Mar de Grises or Isole would be the two places to start imo, but compared to Marcel, i am d00mn00b.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.03.2009 - 16:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Lol i wanted Gaahl to win in the best drama category
05.03.2009 - 16:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by BitterCOld on 05.03.2009 at 06:22

Mar de Grises or Isole would be the two places to start imo, but compared to Marcel, i am d00mn00b.

I'm a Virgin Black's fanboy... But I still voted for Mar de Grises
Even if I think Fortissimo is an awesome album... Mar de Grises is just way better. When I was listening to all the myspaces.. I was speechless when I heard Mar de Grises' songs... It's a shame they didn't won.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.03.2009 - 03:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Valentin B on 05.03.2009 at 16:19

How is that a drama?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.03.2009 - 11:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 06.03.2009 at 03:09

How is that a drama?

because of all the crap that he says all the time trying to make himself more "evil" and "necro" which are all fucking fake. look at this FFS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQJqZFUell8&feature=related "what's your prime influence?" "hmm.... satan!" how can anyone not cock an eyebrow at that?

and take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ZaIJGTA-Q&feature=channel this doesn't even touch the gay issue btw
09.03.2009 - 02:15
pdepmcp
Written by Glower on 04.03.2009 at 23:06

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2009 at 15:56

Haha.

uhm, after sombre romantic nothing by virgin black is really interesting. they are just skilled and they know how to build a good record, but there is very little talent in what they did lately.
09.03.2009 - 06:59
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Valentin B on 06.03.2009 at 11:33

How is that a drama?

because of all the crap that he says all the time trying to make himself more "evil" and "necro" which are all fucking fake. look at this FFS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQJqZFUell8&feature=related "what's your prime influence?" "hmm.... satan!" how can anyone not cock an eyebrow at that?

and take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ZaIJGTA-Q&feature=channel this doesn't even touch the gay issue btw

Oh come on, being gay is not a drama, well... the typical mexican macho-dad can start a real drama just because his little boy become a bit gay, but... surely that happens everywhere in the world, where people is narrow minded, the macho culture still rules and they think that God is going to punish them nuking (that word exists?) their town just as he did with Sodom and Gomorrah.

And by the way... who fucking cares? The list of famous gay people is long and most of them are or were great humans who made something great for us to see.

And other thing, as if being gay instantly quits the "evilness" out of your mind hehe.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
09.03.2009 - 07:23
FOOCK Nam
I voted for Forest Of Shadow, actually all doom bands for 08 awards are good, but to be choose best I just pick Forest Of Shadow,...for no reason.
09.03.2009 - 16:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Daggon on 09.03.2009 at 06:59

Written by Valentin B on 06.03.2009 at 11:33

How is that a drama?

Oh come on, being gay is not a drama, well... the typical mexican macho-dad can start a real drama just because his little boy become a bit gay, but... surely that happens everywhere in the world, where people is narrow minded, the macho culture still rules and they think that God is going to punish them nuking (that word exists?) their town just as he did with Sodom and Gomorrah.

And by the way... who fucking cares? The list of famous gay people is long and most of them are or were great humans who made something great for us to see.

And other thing, as if being gay instantly quits the "evilness" out of your mind hehe.

i have NO problem with someone being gay(if you haven't noticed i am a die hard Judas Priest fanboy), the thing is, i highly doubt he is really gay because of all the crap i've heard him say.. for instance(yes i know this was in 95 but people of this mindset almost never change) he said in a newspaper interview something along the lines of "hail to the ancient roman emperors! Caligula, Julius, Augustus!", promoting an empire which enforced its religious views on all the people it conquered(much like Christianity which he so dearly obviously hates), and mentioning a roman emperor's honorary title as a real emperor, thus proving he has no idea what the fuck he is talking about. that was only one of a long line of almost-funny statements he made trying to showcase his almighty NECROSATANIC EVILNESS. that's why i think it's all a front. after all, we all know people in the past have pretended to be gay to be more shocking and appealing to the "rebellious" youth (TATU, anyone?)
09.03.2009 - 16:52
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Valentin B on 09.03.2009 at 16:37

that's why i think it's all a front. after all, we all know people in the past have pretended to be gay to be more shocking and appealing to the "rebellious" youth (TATU, anyone?)

Meh, I don't think a gay Gaahl would sell more than the etero, two hot chicks yes.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.03.2009 - 22:25
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Elio on 09.03.2009 at 16:52

that's why i think it's all a front. after all, we all know people in the past have pretended to be gay to be more shocking and appealing to the "rebellious" youth (TATU, anyone?)

Meh, I don't think a gay Gaahl would sell more than the etero, two hot chicks yes.

Agree hahaha.
BTW Valentin, yeah, now you have some points there, Gaahl seems like contradicting himself (Christianity stuff)... still the gay thing seems very apart in my opinion.
----
11.03.2009 - 08:14
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Elio on 09.03.2009 at 16:52

Well, I prefer to see two hot chicks playing with each other instead of Gaahl doing with his boyfriend..
OK, if some day his sex-tape would leak, then it going to be something..
11.03.2009 - 21:04
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Hamird on 11.03.2009 at 08:14

OK, if some day his sex-tape would leak, then it going to be something..

If you're interested in tender lovemaking by two fashion-designers, yes.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.03.2009 - 00:02
Endoftherainbow
All of the nominees for death metal were bullshit Septicflesh isn't evena fucking death metal band and they won. Krisiun was one of the worst albums of the year for death metal definently had no place in the nominations. Recueil Morbide another band that ISNT death metal. The Monolith Deathcult also NOT death metal. Like you fuckers need to get your heads out of your fuckign asses when you pick whos going to be nominated for the best death metal album. like first off you should have to know what the fuck death metal is before you should be aloud to have anything to do with it. Now lets see lets go got some albums from 08 that are clearly fucking death metal that are actually good and wipe the fucking floor clean with that pathetic excuse for death metal poll. Here's my nominees of bands that for some reason were left off of the poll:
Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds
Severed Saviour - Servile Insurrection
Deeds Of Flesh - Of Whats To Come
Human Mincer - Degradtion Paradox
Cannabis Corpse - Tube of the Resinated
Incinerate - Anatomize
Hour of Penance - The Vile Conception
Brain Drill - Apocalyptic Feasting
and thats just to name a few of the brilliant albums you missed to put in albums that arent even fucking death metal this year let someone whos heard more then 10 death metal cds pick the albums in the running.

I nominate Herzebeth since he atleast has a fucking idea what death metal is and since you guys won't let me do it ahaha
12.03.2009 - 01:03
MeloDeathViking
I definitely thought In Mourning should have won best debut album, i fucking love Shrouded Divine.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott