02. Dreams Of Triumph
03. Roads To Victory
04. Shadow Of The Mourning Star
05. Warrior's Desire
06. Ancient War Call
07. Blood Spills In Darkness
08. Kingdoms Fire
09. Crowned Under A Black Sun

Don't even bother trying to remember or pronounce the name of this band, just copy it whenever you want to google them for information. Mictlantecuhtli, the Aztec God Of Death (or according to the band, the manifestation of it) is a band that just makes me long for the days where bands were just called "Bathory" and "Immortal". Names that are easy to remember and easy to pronounce, instead of being real tongue-twister.

Anyway, the band is named after an Aztec god, and it won't surprise anyone that that is also where they draw their lyrical inspiration from. Not only the band name; the nicknames from the members are inspired by that culture too. We have none other than Cuauhtemoc on vocals, Cuitlahuac and Tlacaelel on the six stringed axe, Tlaloc on bass and Itzcoatl pounds the skins. Just be glad this is a written review and that I'm not trying to discuss this band with you in person.

What "Warriors Of The Black Sun" comprises is Black/Thrash with hints of Melodic Death metal, in it's most simplistic form. The execution is a little sloppy, which adds to the already old-fashioned style of the band. Bathory and it's sloppy old school thrashy Black metal is the biggest influence, alongside with Venom and Immortal and the likes. The riffs are of the tremolo-style, the drums are monotone and the vocals are harsh rasps.

Absolutely nothing new, that's right, and the band doesn't really make up for it with extra fury or charm. Yes, the band has its moments but there are no riffs or vocal lines that really stick in your head. And instead of offering wicked thrash insanity, on too many moments the band loses itself in dull and repetitive parts, where they seem to need a break from the thrashing and draw a (long) breath of fresh air. Well, not in my music, better go all out and pay a visit to the hospital or oxygen-tank later on. Where's the fire, people?!

Besides a few cool solo's and ditto riffs here and there, "Warriors Of The Black Sun" is a pretty disappointing release. As said, the band does have it's moments and it's not really a bad release, but playing on the automatic pilot, ripping off the old-school heroes just isn't enough any more these days. It appears I'm one of the few with this opinion though, as plenty of people seem to thoroughly enjoy this release. Well, I'll stick to "Blood Fire Death", thank you very much.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 6

Written on 08.03.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 86 users
08.03.2009 - 22:31
Black_Handed
A village idiot
Why 6.5 then? your review makes it seem like 3.5-4 .

btw: The Chasm rip off? listened to a few samples of mictlantecuhtli and it seems like they mix it with in flames or something like that...brrr. those two things just dont go together.
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
08.03.2009 - 22:44
Rating: 6
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Black_Handed on 08.03.2009 at 22:31

Why 6.5 then? your review makes it seem like 3.5-4 .

Hmm, you're right. Reading the review again it does seem too negative. I've changed a couple of things here and there in the review, it should match the score now. I rarely change my review after publishing, except for the occasional edit, but this time it was necessary. This review was a struggle anyway.

Quote:
btw: The Chasm rip off? listened to a few samples of mictlantecuhtli and it seems like they mix it with in flames or something like that...brrr. those two things just dont go together.

I personally don't see the similarities, except for the lyrical themes of course.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.03.2009 - 22:55
Black_Handed
A village idiot
Written by Lucas on 08.03.2009 at 22:44

I personally don't see the similarities, except for the lyrical themes of course.

just some bits here and there. how theyre desperately trying to be atmospheric and melodic while staying in the realm of death/thrash, while the chasm achieves it with ease.
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
08.03.2009 - 22:56
Rating: 6
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Black_Handed on 08.03.2009 at 22:55

just some bits here and there. how theyre desperately trying to be atmospheric and melodic while staying in the realm of death/thrash, while the chasm achieves it with ease.

yeah alright, but that goes for a lot of extreme metal bands, not The Chasm per sé.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.03.2009 - 00:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Damn... looks cool, even with the 6.5 review, i gotta check out this album.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
09.03.2009 - 06:28
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I thought they were a mexican band (you know, the band's name, and the members nicknames). Seems like something I will end checking on the night while being offuscated by work and exams... shit I must start reading that book, the exam is this Tuesday hehe
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
10.03.2009 - 00:17
Elio
Red Nightmare
6.5 is not that bad anyway, most of the times ratings are ridiculously high, so...
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
12.03.2009 - 03:31
Metal George

I saw this band Live in L.A. They were pretty good. I like thier Immortal riffs but not their melodic death metal riffs. I might check the album.
14.10.2010 - 12:22
Aetherius

Just heard some samples from this album after I got their previous release. I like their sound, if your into the style they are playing I would say you will dig this band(like myself ). The review is pretty accurate though lol, with originality definatly being the lowest point of the release.

Hits total: 5466 | This month: 6