Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater - New Album Details

Progressive metal veterans Dream Theater have announced "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" as the title of their tenth studio album. The band commenced work on the album - their second for Roadrunner Records, following up 2007's "Systematic Chaos" - in October of last year.

Roadrunner will release the record on June 23. In addition to the standard version CD, the album will also be available on vinyl LP, as well as a 3-disc Special Edition CD that will include the full album, a CD of instrumental mixes of the album and a CD of six cover songs, the titles of which will be revealed at a later date.

Six weeks prior to the June 23 street date, Roadrunner will release one cover song per week through digital retailers.

Drummer Mike Portnoy and guitarist John Petrucci are once again at the helm as producers, while Paul Northfield mixed the record.

The band will embark on a world tour in support of the album beginning in Europe throughout June which will be followed by the second edition of the band's Progressive Nation tour featuring Zappa Plays Zappa, Pain Of Salvation and Beardfish throughout North America in July/August.

A video for the first single, "A Rite of Passage" will be shot in late March.

The track listing for "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" [cover artwork] is as follows:

01. A Nightmare To Remember
02. A Rite Of Passage
03. Wither
04. The Shattered Fortress
05. The Best Of Times
06. The Count Of Tuscany

Source: dreamtheater.net
Band profile: Dream Theater
Posted: 13.03.2009 by Dane Train

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 35   Visited by: 328 users
13.03.2009 - 17:34
MeloDeathViking

Love the cover art, really looking forward to this album, hope I can see them if they come near Philly.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
13.03.2009 - 17:36
Elio
Red Nightmare
It will be good, I'm curious to know HOW MUCH.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
13.03.2009 - 17:50
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Nice cover art. Album title reminds me of "Dark Thrones And Black Flags"
13.03.2009 - 18:16
Sanzo

6 tracks? If Mike Portnoy was accurate in his previous statements, this album will be huge!
13.03.2009 - 18:21
Saviour73

Awesome cover art! Reminds me of Awake album cover... How this album is awesome
13.03.2009 - 18:40
juanopereira

The cover is really good!! 6 tracks? it seems we have long songs here. Interesting I hope this abum be better than their last one.
13.03.2009 - 19:10
Fat & Sassy!

"... which will be followed by the second edition of the band's Progressive Nation tour featuring Zappa Plays Zappa, Pain Of Salvation and Beardfish throughout North America in July/August. "

Zappa Plays Zappa and Pain of Salvation WITH Dream Theater?!

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!
13.03.2009 - 19:20
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Finally, some really great long and epic work from Dream Theater as a whole in an album again...should be fantastic...I can't wait for this...
13.03.2009 - 20:15
João Pirucas
Mr. Piruson
LOVE THE COVER!
13.03.2009 - 20:22
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Doesn't that cover look... well... Opethian?

A new album with 6 tracks? Hm. I'm not too fond of A Change of Seasons, while I do like their recent albums -Octavarium more than Systematic Chaos to be honest-, especially as far as Jordan's work is concerned. Heh, let's give a chance to this new release.
13.03.2009 - 20:28
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
I think i just came all over my keyboard muwhahahahaha j/k
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
13.03.2009 - 20:30
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
Written by Taktsekte on 13.03.2009 at 20:22

A new album with 6 tracks? Hm. I'm not too fond of A Change of Seasons, while I do like their recent albums -Octavarium more than Systematic Chaos to be honest-, especially as far as Jordan's work is concerned. Heh, let's give a chance to this new release.

Well, they did tour with opeth and between the buried and me, and yea, those 6 tracks could be up to 15 mins long. I mean, it is dream theater.
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
13.03.2009 - 20:39
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by {aud}devil on 13.03.2009 at 20:30

Well, they did tour with opeth and between the buried and me, and yea, those 6 tracks could be up to 15 mins long. I mean, it is dream theater.

Since when has Dream Theater written long songs?
----
(space for rent)
13.03.2009 - 20:52
nb

Written by Dane Train on 13.03.2009 at 20:39

Since always I guess.
13.03.2009 - 20:53
nb

The cover art is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, can't wait for this album. I will preorder it now..............yeah!!!
13.03.2009 - 21:00
Abattoir

Classical Dream Theate album cover ...it looks nice of course. Looking forward to hear some great staff from this album.
13.03.2009 - 22:28
Symmachus

Another great album cover from the Dream Theater camp. Six tracks makes me think that the average song length will be quite a large amount. I plan on buying this the day it releases, just like I did with Systematic Chaos.
13.03.2009 - 23:23
Nicko's Nose

It WILL be awesome.

Anyone who thought Systematic Chaos sucked is insane.
13.03.2009 - 23:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I can only say all I've seen from this album reminds me of Awake.

Like I heard someplace else "can we fastforward" the time? aha

I wish.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.03.2009 - 23:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
And can you actually already pre-order this album?

Where? Could someone tell me that
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.03.2009 - 23:59
JustGrimace
Account deleted
So, which song is going to be part of the "AA Suite"? It seems odd to have it be the open track, but my best guess would be "Nightmare to Remember", with that song finishing the suite.
14.03.2009 - 04:03
tulkas
el parcero
Nice cover artwork! like it very much. and the fact that there's only 6 songs would tell me that this should be one hell of and album! it better be, and i hope they can get back some of the old DT
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
14.03.2009 - 07:46
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I like the new cover, seems great, better than the one of "Systematic Chaos". Few songs uh? Sounds like we are going to have some epic long tracks, mmm and the titles are promising IMO, just let's hope they don't spoil the entire thing, if they hype too much the expectations for this album, well, you know, this can be a disaster...
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
14.03.2009 - 10:07
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Hmm....only six songs....an album cover reminiscent of their older work....I hope they go back to their roots with this one. looks like that's the direction that they're going with this one. I look forward to hearing the single.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
14.03.2009 - 10:51
JackSyn

A great damn cover indeed looking forward to this
14.03.2009 - 13:50
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Dane Train on 13.03.2009 at 20:39

Ehm... which albums have you listened to?

Awesome cover, Octavarium is so much better but this one is really oldschool, reminds me of Awake, I&W and ToT. It seems interesting overall
14.03.2009 - 14:00
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Great cover, good title seems like a promising album
14.03.2009 - 15:03
In Bone Factory

Everything seems to be great.lets wait and see, although its hard to.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
14.03.2009 - 17:31
DreamNightmare

I'm super excited about this as i'm going to see them in June!!
The cover art is awesome! it's like a melding of Train of Thought & Awake (The eye from Train of Thought is on the sketchboard in case you hadn't seen it ) which leads me to believe this album will be just as heavy as the last one - which is fine but i hope they put some mellower stuff in there to build up the songs a bit more. Can't Wait
14.03.2009 - 17:48
Warman
Erotic Stains
I was like shitting my pants when I read this on Facebook at first. I probably haven't looked forward to an album this much!
----

Hits total: 6972 | This month: 6