Metal Storm logo
Music that makes you stupid

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 14.03.2009 - 15:45
http://beatcrave.com/2009-03-03/music-that-makes-you-dumb/

CalTech grad student named Virgil Griffith has conducted an interesting (albeit somewhat unscientific) study relating music preferences with SAT scores. While SAT scores are criticized for not accurately determining intelligence, the results show that the "smartest" students' favorite musician is Beethoven, with an average SAT score of 1371, and at the other end of the spectrum is Lil' Wayne, with an average score of 889.

Other bands at the top of the scale are Counting Crows, Radiohead, and Sufjan Stevens. Check out the full image of the results after the jump:

Surprisingly, no style of music stands out above the rest, but rather most bands fit within the 1000 to 1150 score range. Another question is whether music can be legitimately associated with smarts.

of course, i think it's a load of crap, though the test results are something good to poke fun at lol
23.03.2009 - 22:19
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by ms68 on 23.03.2009 at 21:02

u can also find stupider ranking here:http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/12/15/rock-list-readers-top-30-albums-of-2008/

Wow. That list is awful... but it is Rolling Stone. That magazine sucks so much ass.
23.03.2009 - 23:10
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I can understand how Reggaetron is listened to by some of the dimmest students...good to see that Justin Timberlake is in that ballpark too because those people are pretty retarded...lol @ lil Wayne being the lowest...Soca, Jazz, and Gospel I don't understand...
24.03.2009 - 12:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 23.03.2009 at 23:10

I can understand how Reggaetron is listened to by some of the dimmest students...good to see that Justin Timberlake is in that ballpark too because those people are pretty retarded...lol @ lil Wayne being the lowest...Soca, Jazz, and Gospel I don't understand...

lol well, Gospel is a religious musical genre, and there are many dim-witted people who are big into religion.

also this is a metal site.... LET THE BASHING BEGINZZ!!
02.04.2009 - 18:37
T_s_T
That's nothing!!!Come to Bulgaria and start listening to pop-folk - that's the "music" that killes 1% of your brain cells within a minute of listening!!!
03.04.2009 - 06:00
tulkas
el parcero
Written by T_s_T on 02.04.2009 at 18:37

That's nothing!!!Come to Bulgaria and start listening to pop-folk - that's the "music" that killes 1% of your brain cells within a minute of listening!!!

wow, somehow i'd really like to listen to some of that. any recommendations that i canyoutube or something??
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
03.04.2009 - 16:22
T_s_T
Written by tulkas on 03.04.2009 at 06:00

wow, somehow i'd really like to listen to some of that. any recommendations that i canyoutube or something??

Try Toni Storaro or Malina,if you wanna REALLY freak out type azis(this is a transvestite singing pop-folk,seriously :puke: )and supply yourself with a nearby vomit bag
03.04.2009 - 16:37
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
...I think this is probably bullshit. I mean, it's believable that lil' wayne himself might get a low SAT score, but just because you're a fan that doesn't make you stupid. It just means you have a bad taste in music. lol.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
03.04.2009 - 21:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by tulkas on 03.04.2009 at 06:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOeKXKF1fsc

i don't generally believe music makes you stupid, but my best bet is that this genre does make you stupid.
03.04.2009 - 23:07
Deus Ex Machina
Written by Arian Totalis on 03.04.2009 at 16:37

...I think this is probably bullshit. I mean, it's believable that lil' wayne himself might get a low SAT score, but just because you're a fan that doesn't make you stupid. It just means you have a bad taste in music. lol.

Lil' Wayne was actually a good student, even did well in university while he was there.
Taste in music is subjective. I hate most of the bands you like
03.04.2009 - 23:56
VPeter
I seriously laughed when I saw Radiohead that high.
04.04.2009 - 03:27
tulkas
el parcero
Written by T_s_T on 03.04.2009 at 16:22

Try Toni Storaro or Malina,if you wanna REALLY freak out type azis(this is a transvestite singing pop-folk,seriously :puke: )and supply yourself with a nearby vomit bag

daaamn, dude, that's like bulgarian (or wherever it is from) reggaeton

Written by Valentin B on 03.04.2009 at 21:34

i don't generally believe music makes you stupid, but my best bet is that this genre does make you stupid.

it's like european electronic yodel or something pretty annoying, btw
----
04.04.2009 - 08:52
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by VPeter on 03.04.2009 at 23:56

I seriously laughed when I saw Radiohead that high.

Why? Because their fan-base has turned into a large group of brain-dead indie girls?
04.04.2009 - 09:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by tulkas on 04.04.2009 at 03:27

Written by Valentin B on 03.04.2009 at 21:34

it's like european electronic yodel or something pretty annoying, btw

i won't get into much detail, but suffice to say it's some kind of reggaeton meets arabic music. oh yeah and the lyrics sometimes contain blatant grammar errors lol
04.04.2009 - 09:56
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 03.04.2009 at 23:07

Lil' Wayne was actually a good student, even did well in university while he was there.

Frankly, no matter what kind of grades he got in school, that doesn't change the fact that he has no fundumental concept of or lyrical inclination to rap. He has absolutly no metaphors, he raps directly in the form of similies. On top of that, most of his similies, or just lyrics period, hold no substance...or even content. An example: "You can find me on a boat feedin a bitch grapes and crapes, by the way, that's french for pancakes"...WTF! You get the point. Most rappers who know their trade will be far more poetic or at least have a steady sense of rhtyhm in their beats, like the RZA. The following example is from his song; tragedy.- "assassination vaccination poor education, infatuation with Satan with global nataion taxation. Fiberoptic microscopic biological germ, Mad Cow burger on the market, Captain a nigga starship, I never departed once I started."

The bottom line: Yes, music is subjective. But ordinarily there is a norm for what is seen as "acceptable" in any genre of music. So you tell me, if you throw in a metal album, what would you rather hear? A Judas Priest song? Or a bunch of random diminished chords? Because that's basically what the comparison is. If you don't agree, that's cool, understand that this is based purely off of my own opinions. I respect that you have an opinion. Basically though, these previous words are mine.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.04.2009 - 10:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Arian Totalis on 04.04.2009 at 09:56

Frankly, no matter what kind of grades he got in school, that doesn't change the fact that he has no fundumental concept of or lyrical inclination to rap. He has absolutly no metaphors, he raps directly in the form of similies. On top of that, most of his similies, or just lyrics period, hold no substance...or even content. An example: "You can find me on a boat feedin a bitch grapes and crapes, by the way, that's french for pancakes"...WTF! You get the point. Most rappers who know their trade will be far more poetic or at least have a steady sense of rhtyhm in their beats, like the RZA. The following example is from his song; tragedy.- "assassination vaccination poor education, infatuation with Satan with global nataion taxation. Fiberoptic microscopic biological germ, Mad Cow burger on the market, Captain a nigga starship, I never departed once I started."

The bottom line: Yes, music is subjective. But ordinarily there is a norm for what is seen as "acceptable" in any genre of music. So you tell me, if you throw in a metal album, what would you rather hear? A Judas Priest song? Or a bunch of random diminished chords? Because that's basically what the comparison is. If you don't agree, that's cool, understand that this is based purely off of my own opinions. I respect that you have an opinion. Basically though, these previous words are mine.

also, to counter her statement, he actually dropped out of school at 14 guess that explains the lyrics
04.04.2009 - 13:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I bet a couple of Goregrind dudes are actually pretty intelligent, although the lyrics won't show it. So? If you can make 'hella' money off rapping about pancakes, you've got a pretty good deal going in my opinion.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.04.2009 - 22:36
Deus Ex Machina
Written by Valentin B on 04.04.2009 at 10:01

Written by Arian Totalis on 04.04.2009 at 09:56

also, to counter her statement, he actually dropped out of school at 14 guess that explains the lyrics

And he went back, obviously.

Plus to avoid long, boring posts that are completely unnecessary in a thread like this one. I won't go into comparing musicians to each other o_O
Yes, I'd rather listen to a bunch of random diminished chords, and my brain is still intact.
04.04.2009 - 22:38
Slayer666
OR, you can get a good deal going if you sing about raping someone's guts, like they do in Goregrind......
04.04.2009 - 22:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Slayer666 on 04.04.2009 at 22:38

OR, you can get a good deal going if you sing about raping someone's guts, like they do in Goregrind......

But that doesn't make you rich.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.04.2009 - 23:02
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Lucas on 04.04.2009 at 22:55

Isn't there some sort of black market for people's organs and what not? After the raping... you could just sell the organs. Makes perfect sense to me.
04.04.2009 - 23:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 04.04.2009 at 23:02

Isn't there some sort of black market for people's organs and what not? After the raping... you could just sell the organs. Makes perfect sense to me.

I don't know, but it may be a good idea to already start the search for a new liver. You know, a safety margin.
----

05.04.2009 - 00:17
Slayer666
Written by Lucas on 04.04.2009 at 23:15

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 04.04.2009 at 23:02

I don't know, but it may be a good idea to already start the search for a new liver. You know, a safety margin.

Yeah, never hurts to have an extra liver in the freezer, wheither to sell it or use it if your own fails.
05.04.2009 - 06:09
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Lucas on 04.04.2009 at 13:45

I bet a couple of Goregrind dudes are actually pretty intelligent, although the lyrics won't show it. So? If you can make 'hella' money off rapping about pancakes, you've got a pretty good deal going in my opinion.

no matter what the deal is, as long as you make a hell lotta money, that's a good deal to me!
----
26.01.2010 - 06:09
MetallicA
This made me laugh! I know it's a bunch of crap but still fun to look at.

And in all seriousness, there are stupid people in everything and there are highly intelligent people in everything.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
26.01.2010 - 09:34
FOOCK Nam
Im eager to know the SAT score of some metalheads (if dont mind) ?, 'cause the topic is around the schoolbook score relating to the music.
26.01.2010 - 10:51
Mikyz
I got 1300 in my SAT no idea where it leaves me, but who cares metal needs plenty of depth and reflection to be fully appreciated. XD and I don't think music can judge the intellectual level of someone of vice versa.

Their is some truth to this chart if you analyze it objectively. Lil'Wayne's music is utter crap (I'd rather listen to my brother farting) and from my point of view is plain stupid, it's logical that only stupid people listen to stupid music, so we can conclude that the guy who made this chart just thinks that Lil'wayne's music doesn't need any high understanding nor being remotely intelligent in order to be enjoyed, however Beethoven's masterpieces can't be appreciated by the simple minded and needs a certain level of reflection and sharpness for it to be savored properly, I don't need to go into further details to explain why. I can keep typing about this for ages but... don't wanna. So it's your choice whether to believe in this or not, but part of me does.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
26.01.2010 - 11:07
FOOCK Nam
How long is considered good at SAT score ? No clue. But actually, I heard thousands of reaseach showing that Beethoven/Mozart music make ppl smarter before exams. That is classical music. During peak time of listening to metal I study not so well, it is too concentrating and attractive to itself music rather than like a therapy. But is the purpose of listening to music by choosing the music (genres or artist) makes the listen stupid or smart ?
26.01.2010 - 11:51
Mikyz
Written by FOOCK Nam on 26.01.2010 at 11:07

How long is considered good at SAT score ? No clue. But actually, I heard thousands of reaseach showing that Beethoven/Mozart music make ppl smarter before exams. That is classical music. During peak time of listening to metal I study not so well, it is too concentrating and attractive to itself music rather than like a therapy. But is the purpose of listening to music by choosing the music (genres or artist) makes the listen stupid or smart ?

Well, I always listen to metal while studying it helps me concentrate and not take notice of my surroundings. The choice of music doesn't make you stupid or smart it all depends on your education, social background and stuff, you'll end up being attracted to a certain genre of music naturally. People from the ghetto or whatever you call it end up listening to rap/hip-hop/R&B, sophisticated people end up listening to classical music... the majority that is. For example in Lebanon, most of the people end up listening to Trance, techno and whatever, wear glow in the dark sweat-shirts with spikey hair and dance like horny ducks. Your surroundings and level of influence define the genre of music that you will end up listening too most of the time, of course you need to take in consideration the effect of the media, and further brainwashing by the people who will want to convince you that the music they listen to is the best and end up forcing it down your throat. Most my friends do not listen to any kind metal, not even rock and I end up going with them to fucking trance concerts paying 50 bucks for a regular ticket surrounded by topless sweaty hairy horny drugged/drunk duck dancer who end up brushing up against you. These friends used to listen to the same music as me but they eventually got influenced by the media + surroundings (they dont dance like ducks nor remove their shirts btw ).

So knowledge and intellect might be one of the factors, but it's still very minor imo compared to other stuff.
Babbling too much, but WTF I have somewhere to complain at least >.<
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.