8 - The Glory Of Achilles
02. Metal Warriors
03. Ride The Dragon
04. Spirit Horse Of The Cherokee
05. Burning
06. The Power Of Thy Sword
07. The Demon's Whip
08. Master Of The Wind

In many ways, "Triumph Of Steel" is the closest thing to a consistent Manowar album. Everybody but the staunchest of fans will agree that the average Manowar album sports more than a couple killer tracks but is just the same riddled by fillers and silliness. However, on "Triumph Of Steel" Manowar manage to package every aspect of the latter category into the opening "Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts", allowing the listener to comfortably ignore it and enjoy the remaining seven tracks. This is actually quite a pity since the album's would-be center point does have some really catchy and punchy heavy metal to it and certainly some of the best lyrics bassist and chief songwriter Joey DeMaio has ever penned down. But the grating bass solo and the even worse drum solo alone (not that those are the songs only faults) suffice to tip the scales in favour of the skip button.

The rest of the album showcases the band in top form. The heavy power/thrash tinged days have been over for quite some time and Manowar does what Manowar have been doing best lately, which is mighty, charmingly overblown, epic heavy metal with just enough accessibility to let anyone enjoy the experience. The songs are generally rather long and often have a bit narration, but that is just part of the band's strange charisma. Plenty of heavy metal pride is offered by the concert favourite "Metal Warriors" while "Master Of The Wind" is one of Manowar's better ballads. "Spirit Horse Of The Cherokee" and "Burning" are two crunchy, mid paced numbers and singer Eric Adams gets to have some fun with the speed metal of "Ride The Dragon" and "Power Of Thy Sword". So there you have it, folks. Nothing wrong with buying this album if you are indeed into heavy metal. If not, get out and leave the hall!

Written by DayFly | 17.03.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Manowar's made of steel, not clay, but age has not looked kindly upon them or their defiance, and this is one album that I seem to like less every time I listen to it in full. The Triumph Of Steel is a triumph piecemeal: it’s a platform for some classics pockmarked by filler, muddied by lifeless production, practically dead on arrival thanks to its importunate herald.

Read more ››
published 28.02.2024 | Comments (4)

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 106 users
18.03.2009 - 02:10
Rating: 10
quirin

As a dedicated Manowar fan, I believe that beyond what you call silliness lies a deep concept of purity of essence and integrity.

However, I understand your point : they should take it easy on the fantasy crap, so they would gain some more credibility. Still, such is the metaphor through which Manowar teaches the way a metlhead should lead his life. I doubdt it was ever meant to be taken by the letter, for I clearly saw a deeper meaning behind the childish facade.

One more thing : I'm trying to identify those fillers you were telling about. And from the beginning of their career until Triumph Of Steel, I really couldn't find any. Other bands play, MANOWAR KILLS!
18.03.2009 - 02:28
DayFly

Written by quirin on 18.03.2009 at 02:10

As a dedicated Manowar fan, I believe that beyond what you call silliness lies a deep concept of purity of essence and integrity.

However, I understand your point : they should take it easy on the fantasy crap, so they would gain some more credibility. Still, such is the metaphor through which Manowar teaches the way a metlhead should lead his life. I doubdt it was ever meant to be taken by the letter, for I clearly saw a deeper meaning behind the childish facade.

One more thing : I'm trying to identify those fillers you were telling about. And from the beginning of their career until Triumph Of Steel, I really couldn't find any. Other bands play, MANOWAR KILLS!

I originally intended to write a long-winded answer, but I think I can also capture the essence of Manowar's silliness with two words: Pleasure Slave.
18.03.2009 - 03:10
Rating: 10
quirin

Written by DayFly on 18.03.2009 at 02:28

I originally intended to write a long-winded answer, but I think I can also capture the essence of Manowar's silliness with two words: Pleasure Slave.

Hehe, you summarised precisely my ex-girlfriend's opinion on the band.
28.09.2009 - 09:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
What has Pleasure Slave from previous album in common with this release

great songs here are Achilles, Master Of The Wind, Power Of Thy Sword (one of Manowar's best)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.09.2009 - 06:40
Rating: 9
GamlaSonn

Written by Ellrohir on 28.09.2009 at 09:14

What has Pleasure Slave from previous album in common with this release

great songs here are Achilles, Master Of The Wind, Power Of Thy Sword (one of Manowar's best)

I know what you mean, I'm just getting into Manowar and I instantly heard Power of thy Sword was a classic
30.05.2010 - 12:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by quirin on 18.03.2009 at 03:10

Written by DayFly on 18.03.2009 at 02:28

Hehe, you summarised precisely my ex-girlfriend's opinion on the band.

no wonder you broke up with her, she was a wimp and a poser!
30.05.2010 - 16:22
Lord_Regnier

The only listenable Manowar album, imo.
Heavier, faster and less over-the-top cheesy.
Far from great (it's still Manowar, after all- a shit band from my point of view) but at least this album doesn't totally suck like the others.
And Rhino on drums makes a big difference, compared to Scott "what's a drum fill?" Colombus.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
01.08.2011 - 01:50
Void Eater
Account deleted
For some reason this seems to be looked upon by a fair amount of people who dislike Manowar as their only decent album, and by fans as an underrated gem. I find it to be one of their more dull releases. Ride the Dragon sounds like a weaker Wheels of Fire, The Demons Whip just plods for far to long, the narraration goes on for far to long, Metal Warriors is just boring, ect. Power of Thy Sword's main riff sounds quite similar to that of Riding the Dragon, and the chorus is quite similar to that of Black Wind Fire and Steel. Not a bad album, but not some sort of hidden gem.
01.08.2011 - 07:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 01.08.2011 at 01:50

For some reason this seems to be looked upon by a fair amount of people who dislike Manowar as their only decent album,

Mmm. For most people like me their decent albums are their first three but certainly NOT Triumph Of Steel
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.07.2019 - 15:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This sould be 2 CD album 1th song in CD 2 and last 7 on 1. Then trhow away that lame song and listen ''good'' metal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8576 | This month: 11