Metal Storm logo
Extreme & Ethereal Female Vocals

26.03.2009 - 00:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
In this thread, the subject at hand is 'extreme & ethereal female vocals'. In my humble opinion one of the most emotionally powerful and overwhelming type of vocals. They are the only type of vocals I know that can combine terror, bliss and beauty in such an intense way. Of course, this is a not-often-practiced and rare vocal type. But when you do find a band that utilizes them, the results are often unique and amazing.

To give a few examples:

The Angelic Process
Bloody Panda
Amesoeurs

As you can probably see, three very different bands. But for all, it enhances the music greatly. It lifts The Angelic Process from a great band to an amazing band, Bloody Panda from a not-so-interesting band to a good band and Amesoeurs from a mediocre, inconsistent band to an inconsistent band with a couple of amazing moments. All in my opinion, of course.

So, are there any other fans? Discuss and recommend bands which have this feature here. I'm hoping for a few amazing suggestions. Please, remember that the context has to be extreme music (I'm counting Drone & Noise as extreme) and

NO ANGELA GOSSOW

Not what I'm looking for!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.03.2009 - 01:51
Damnated
Churchburner
Are you familiar with the Neurosis/Jarboe collaboration? or with Jarboe's solo work? she's done some cool works over the years, mostly experimental, but some of her songs are really crazy. i don't really remember the stuff with Neurosis, but it is definitely a good record.

also, i heard Kylesa has a female vocalist, but i have no idea what she sounds like. i keep forgetting to listen to one of their albums.

other than this, your best bet is some noisy dream pop. there are quite a few, and some of them are really amazing. nothing really extreme, though.

BTW! there was an american doom death band with female vocals, quite obscure as they only released an EP if i remember correctly. they were called Thorr's Hammer. also, according to MA the woman is now involved in a Drone/Dark Ambient/Avant-garde Metal band. as a vocalist.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
26.03.2009 - 06:57
mortjoyeux

The only female vocals that quite fit this thread that I can think of are by Audrey from Amesoeurs, and you already have them mentioned.
I really prefer the female vocals for them over Neige though, I think Neige's vocals and the riffs seem a bit like Peste Noire.
Audrey's vocals blow my mind every time I listen to that album or Ruines Humaines (the split with Valfunde was meh). I love how she alternates between the clear vocals to banshee screams as in Heurt.
GONNA MISS THIS BAND A FUCK LOAD.

Other than that I have no more ideas, will definitely check out some of the bands mentioned here though.
26.03.2009 - 18:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Oh yeah, I know about Jarboe. Not with Neurosis though. I'll surely give that a shot, although the (very little) solo work I've heard of her didn't really impress me. I'll keep a sharp eye for Kylesa as well.

And I do know Thorr's Hammer, but I never liked that. Isn't that chick singing for Khlyst nowadays? Another band I don't feel much for.

EDIT: Oh, and I would be very surprised if the Amesoeurs self-titled would really be the last of Audrey's work. Think about it, Neige has (had) more projects than you can count on nine hands, and they've worked together in the past (and are apparently pleased with the collaboration). I think they'll be back under a new monicker. (Unless the reason for the split of Amesoeurs is a bitch fight... ?)
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.03.2009 - 19:25
Nazeef

You've got to discover Frensh Death Metal Cool Brutal Female Vocals!!
Her name is: "Caroline Conrad"
check it ou: http://www.myspace.com/Psychobolia
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
29.03.2009 - 18:51
Nightbane

I know one band with female death vocals, Cripper. Powerfull vocals!
----
Music saved my life
28.04.2009 - 03:58
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Asva, a drone/doom band from the U.S. has a female vocalist.
28.04.2009 - 07:01
thyfuneral
Account deleted
I like Cadaveria ex-member/vocalist of Opera IX
28.04.2009 - 18:40
KryptoN
imperceptible
I recommend Menace Ruine's new album "The Die Is Cast" (drone / medieval folk), the vocals on that album kind of fit your description IMO. I wouldn't call the vocals extreme at all though, but they are ethereal... I'm not sure if what you wrote refers to music that has ethereal and extreme vocals, or just ethereal vocals in extreme music. This Menace Ruine album fits that latter option.
28.04.2009 - 19:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by KryptoN on 28.04.2009 at 18:40

I recommend Menace Ruine's new album "The Die Is Cast" (drone / medieval folk), the vocals on that album kind of fit your description IMO. I wouldn't call the vocals extreme at all though, but they are ethereal... I'm not sure if what you wrote refers to music that has ethereal and extreme vocals, or just ethereal vocals in extreme music. This Menace Ruine album fits that latter option.

I've heard a lot about this Menace Ruine in the past few months. They seem to please...

I'll finally check it out, then.
----

28.04.2009 - 20:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfBd7J75L9c
listening to this one right now, pretty interesting though i don't really see it more than ambient music. maybe it's meant to be ambient music?

btw Lucas is this a song in which the "extreme ethereal female voice" you were talking about appears? it sounds just ethereal to me
28.04.2009 - 21:41
Midnight Walker

Astarte, if you haven't heard of them, are an all female black metal band from Greece. Their vocals are fantastic, as is their music in general. They can really hang with the best of the BM bands out there, male or female. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I recommend the album Quod Superius Sicut Inferius if you want a starting point.
----
28.04.2009 - 22:01
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Lucas on 28.04.2009 at 19:15

I've heard a lot about this Menace Ruine in the past few months. They seem to please...

I'll finally check it out, then.

Cool, just make sure you check out "The Die Is Cast" and not "Cult of Ruins". Not saying that it's bad but it's not nearly as good and it's in a completely different style anyway.
29.04.2009 - 01:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Valentin B on 28.04.2009 at 20:56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfBd7J75L9c
listening to this one right now, pretty interesting though i don't really see it more than ambient music. maybe it's meant to be ambient music?

btw Lucas is this a song in which the "extreme ethereal female voice" you were talking about appears? it sounds just ethereal to me

I'd call TAP "Drone Doom", but they are quite undefinable, actually. And the Drone Doom term isn't really a accepted among everyone, anyway. It's all pretty vague. But who cares, really. Yes, TAP relies heavily on ambience, but true "ambient music" is in my opinion stuff like Raison D'etre etc.

And yes, these vocals are exactly the type of vocals I'm talking about. It seems most posters have missed the point here, as Astarte is really not what I'm looking for (no offensive, thanks nonetheless).
----

29.04.2009 - 01:27
Zombie, M.D.

Are you familiar with Diamanda Galas? Not metal per se, but truly extreme to the max. Kind of frightening, too.

P.S. - Do u liek Arch Enemy?
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
29.04.2009 - 01:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 29.04.2009 at 01:27

Are you familiar with Diamanda Galas? Not metal per se, but truly extreme to the max. Kind of frightening, too.

Yesh, Angela Gossow is sooo hawt! *giggity*

Well, this Diamanda Galas sure is one weird-ass woman. Not sure if I like it though.
----

29.04.2009 - 02:01
Winterfog

Written by Midnight Walker on 28.04.2009 at 21:41

Astarte, if you haven't heard of them, are an all female black metal band from Greece. Their vocals are fantastic, as is their music in general. They can really hang with the best of the BM bands out there, male or female. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I recommend the album Quod Superius Sicut Inferius if you want a starting point.

Yes, I also thought about Astarte and then I remembered, there's also a band called Adorior, I'm sure everyone has heard of it; they are from London, it's a black metal band with female vocals, I really prefer this band to Astarte in my opinion Adorior has stronger vocals and the sound of the band in general is faster than Astarte's music...
29.04.2009 - 02:05
Winterfog

Do you know where can I fond Diamanda Galas music?? As far as I'm concerned Euronymus and Mayhem were somehow influenced by Diamanda Galas music or maybe performance
07.05.2009 - 23:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by KryptoN on 28.04.2009 at 18:40

Just ordered both albums after listening to a couple of samples of "The Die Is Cast". Didn't like every idea they stuffed in the songs I heard, but it sure sounded promising.
----

08.05.2009 - 00:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Lucas on 29.04.2009 at 01:35

Yesh, Angela Gossow is sooo hawt! *giggity*

Well, this Diamanda Galas sure is one weird-ass woman. Not sure if I like it though.

"Plague Mass" is pretty terrifying.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.05.2009 - 22:40
Zombie, M.D.

I MAY be wrong (too lazy to research it, too) but I'm fairly certain there's a funeral doom band (of the sick variety, not the pretty synth driven lot) called Vonn that has female vocals.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
11.05.2009 - 00:40
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Another band you might find interesting is Salome.
http://www.myspace.com/salomedoom
12.05.2009 - 02:11
terrorist

Written by Nightbane on 29.03.2009 at 18:51

I know one band with female death vocals, Cripper. Powerfull vocals!

Yeah,great thrash band with female voice!!
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related