Metal Storm logo
Nevermore

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 10:54
"Seattle's NEVERMORE welcome you to "This Godless Endeavor", a grand overture where musical tapestries are fascinatingly complex while entirely accessible. The band's sixth full-length marks another peak in NEVERMORE's rapid ascend in the Metal scene and falls into line with its highly acclaimed predecessors. The first of which being the self-titled debut album released in 1995, one year after the official foundation of the band by former SANCTUARY members Warrel Dane (vocals), Jeff Loomis (guitar) and Jim Sheppard (bass). By adding drummer Van Williams the nucleus of NEVERMORE was born. Though at that time the world all-to-willingly embraced the Grunge-movement, the band dared to continue their vision for a creative and multi-faceted Metal sound. The internationally reputed producer Neil Kernon (Queensryche, Judas Priest, Flotsam & Jetsam, Yes, Rolling Stones, Journey) believed in the potential of NEVERMORE and recorded their impressive debut at his own risk. It did not take too long until the quartet was signed to Century Media Records and due to the fans' pleasant memories of SANCTUARY, and NEVERMORE's touring activities (Europe with Blind Guardian, US with Death) they could raise a good amount of interest throughout the Metal scene and found a lot of thankful purchasers.

The follow-up "In Memory" EP (1996) and the second album "The Politics Of Ecstasy" (1996) displayed NEVERMORE on their quest for their very own, unmistakable sound. The band experimented with a whole lot of influences from various styles and impressed with a great degree of highly-technical finesse that never endangered the catchiness of the songs. Still, NEVERMORE never wrote songs that easily stuck in your head, even though they're nowhere near as complicated as an Ikea construction manual, resulting in listeners giving their albums four or five runs before the variety of each song becomes obvious.

After "The Politics Of Ecstasy" the band parted ways with their second guitarist Pat O'Brien (now in Cannibal Corpse) and it took them almost a year until they found former Forbidden-member Tim Calvert to fill the vacant spot. With this line-up they recorded the masterly "Dreaming Neon Black" (1999) which showed the perfect balance between all the different components of the NEVERMORE sound. There were small, complex mini-dramas as well as super-tight thrashers and quiet, emotional tunes opposed to angry noise eruptions. NEVERMORE managed to create an album equipped with numerous non-metal trademarks which sound appealing to the usually very sensitively reacting true metal community. Or maybe it was still metal enough that it could not even upset the die-hard purists? Anyway, it is a matter of fact that the career of our five heroes just went straight up. Seemingly endless, but still extremely successful tours followed the release, the US was toured not less than four times, Europe was frequently visited (with LeFay - now Morgana Lefay again -, Sacred Steel, Nocturnal Rites) and they even stopped in Australia for a number of shows. After all, guitarist Tim Calvert decided to leave the band in early 2000 to focus on non-musical activities. The remaining band members decided to carry on as a four-piece and did not hesitate to start recording their fourth album "Dead Heart In A Dead World (2000)". For the first time not Neil Kernon but Andy Sneap (Machine Head, Testament, Skinlab, Napalm Death, Stuck Mojo) worked the knobs and moved especially Loomis "skin-flaying" guitar play to the production's forefront. Again tireless world touring followed and turned songs like "Narcosynthesis" and "Inside Four Walls" into anthemic fan favorites. German Rock Hard magazine stated fittingly: "This is the masterpiece of one of the most talented bands in present time".

2003's Enemies Of Reality received similar praise: "must have album of the year" said Outburn Magazine, Guitar One called NEVERMORE's newest songs "opuses that often reach dark symphonic peaks". With performing at Europe's largest rock festivals including the infamous Dynamo, the prestigious Wacken Open Air and sharing stage with metal's elite including Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Iced Earth, King Diamond and Opeth throughout their recording career NEVERMORE could manifest the high position they deservedly occupy within the metal scene.

Now, in 2005, "This Godless Endeavor" is the title of the band's latest work to date and was recorded at England's Backstage Studios, once again with Andy Sneap (who not only produced "Dead Heart In A Dead World" but also just recently re-worked "Enemies Of Reality"). "This Godless Endeavor" captures "the most ripping guitar work we've recorded", says vocalist Warrel Dane. Marking his NEVERMORE recording debut, guitarist Steve Smyth (ex-Testament/Dragonlord) joins core members Dane, Jeff Loomis, Jim Sheppard and Van Williams. Hugh Syme (Rush, Megadeth) provided stark album artwork, which according to Dane, "incorporates our ongoing theme of everyone wearing a mask." Appearing on the mainstage of Megadeth's Gigantour throughout the summer as well as moving over to Europe for a string of summer festivals and a full club-tour by September, NEVERMORE ask you to venture out, to experience the unfathomable, to join them on This Godless Endeavor. An album determined to become a future classic of the metal movement? "

Nevermore is:
Warrel Dane - vocals
Jeff Loomis - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Steve Smyth - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Jim Sheppard - bass
Van Williams - drums

09.03.2010 - 11:14
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Thanks for the info
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.03.2010 - 14:39
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Nice!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
11.03.2010 - 07:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
If you play Warrel Dane's and Jeff Loomis' solo albums at the same time, it's kinda like a new Nevermore album
11.03.2010 - 10:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Lol No it isn't!
----

My Instagram
21.03.2010 - 08:53
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
The Holocaust of Thought is so surreal. The atmosphere created in that song is so mesmerizing and that solo is just some psycho stuff. Totally sick. A guitar playing classic. I love this kind of solos.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
25.03.2010 - 20:49
Abattoir
Staff
I saw the new artwork of an upcoming album ''The Obsidian Conspiracy''...it looks pretty cool to me. Looking forward to the release of course
27.03.2010 - 00:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I think it's gona be good. Just a feeling.
----

My Instagram
17.04.2010 - 11:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Here is a video of Jeff Loomis playing the whole song ''The Obsidian Conspiracy" live at a Prague guitar clinic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O8tozlKf7o

Sounds awesome, I have to say! Cant wait to hear it with Warrel's vocals.
17.04.2010 - 21:58
MetalSpider
And here's "The Obsidian Conspiracy" studio version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heegJ_gXd00&feature=related

Still only the instrumental version but its definitely an awesome song!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
20.04.2010 - 00:13
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
The song doesn't sound bad, but the solo closer to the end does, especially at the start. It just doesn't fit it seems.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
21.04.2010 - 05:17
MetalSpider
I think the first half of that solo fits but it does sound weird.
----

03.05.2010 - 08:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
03.05.2010 - 11:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Aahah

The anticipation...
----

My Instagram
03.05.2010 - 22:20
Hellish Star
I have the new album and it sounds awesome! This is the Nevermore I like, mixing sharp riffs, powerful arrangements, mindblowing riffs, superb drums and melodic songs!

Another masterpiece is written!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
07.05.2010 - 01:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
An almost overwhelming majority seem to think the new album is a giant pile of arse, which is something I wasn't expecting
07.05.2010 - 01:50
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Guest on 07.05.2010 at 01:46

An almost overwhelming majority seem to think the new album is a giant pile of arse, which is something I wasn't expecting

It's not looking good... I heard three leaked tracks but want to make sure I have a copy in my hand before I make any judgments. Maybe they wasted too much inspiration on their solo albums?
07.05.2010 - 04:02
MetalSpider
Written by Guest on 07.05.2010 at 01:46

Which I don't understand. I only heard the 4 songs that were leaked and at first I thought they were average (except for the total track which I enjoyed from the beginning). But the more I listened to the 3 other songs, the more I enjoy them. Yeah so far it sounds as if it's not as heavy as TGE but that's not a bad thing. I'm really excited to hear the album as a whole. Then I can really make a final judgement.
----

07.05.2010 - 19:49
MetalSpider
Well Ive actually just listened to the album in its entirety...twice. Its an amazing album for sure! When I first listened to it, I wasn't as impressed with it as when I had first heard TGE. However, listening to it a second time, its really an amazing album! Hellish Star described it best.

The only thing Ive noticed is that the solos aren't as crazy as they were on TGE but there are a lot of heartfelt solos. A lot of people also seem to think that Dane's lyrics are his weakest this time around. I honestly havent paid too much attention to the lyrics yet, so I can't comment on that myself.

All I know is that it's an impressive album!
----

08.05.2010 - 17:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Still no opinions on the album. I have to pre-order it first and then get it hopefully.

I'll try to stay away from the reviews.
----

My Instagram
09.05.2010 - 15:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well first listen and I can see where people are coming from with their complaints: it's less heavy and dynamic, simpler with less hooks and unfortunately there's a few duds, especially in the latter half of the album. Unlike their other stuff it's definitely vocal orientated with everything else taking a backseat so I suppose it should be viewed in a different way. It's far from a bad album though, it just seems to be lacking most of the things people tend to love about Nevermore: technical thrashing heaviness, epic leads and mental solos.

Of course I will be giving it many more listens so we'll see.
09.05.2010 - 19:32
Hellish Star
I keep on listening to it! To me a already a candidate for the title "album of the year"!!!!
----

09.05.2010 - 23:37
MetalSpider
Written by Hellish Star on 09.05.2010 at 19:32

I keep on listening to it! To me a already a candidate for the title "album of the year"!!!!

Same here...I can't stop listening to it! It's very different but still Nevermore in every way!
----

10.05.2010 - 07:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
If it sucks, then I will blame that Soilwork fuck who helped write the album >:O
10.05.2010 - 15:25
Got Mayhem?
Does anyone else seem to think that Warrel doesn't exactly have the same gusto that he did on previous albums? Maybe it's just me but I can't help but notice that. Loomis kicks ass as usual, this album seems to be a lot more riff driven than previous offerings, which always seems to rely on some breathtaking solo to give a song it's unique attractiveness. I'm liking it, but I'm not sure if I'm liking it as much as I did "This Godless Endeavor".
----
10.05.2010 - 18:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The album definitely has the capacity to grow (but then again, so does the ebola virus) and the songs eventually reveal themselves. I'd be far happier if they'd scrapped tracks 6 and 8 (which are destined to become the 'Noumenon' of this album that I'll undoubtedly skip every time) and replaced them with something a bit more epic and/or heavy. I think 'Without Morals' and 'Emptiness Unobstructed' are probably the highlights of the album for me and overall I'm enjoying most of it as a whole. I just won't be listening to TGE or DH,iaDW straight after as the cracks in it will be even more apparent.

But seriously though: "Sometimes she moves the chairs downstairs and runs away" - seriously naff lyrics. Lucky I've never bothered with lyrics really.
10.05.2010 - 19:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Also 'A Future Uncertain' is Nevermore's greatest musical accomplishment.

Seriously, listening to TGE really shows up the new one.
11.05.2010 - 00:35
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Really good album for me (discovered it today, third time I play it).
My biggest complain right now: THERE'S NO 9 MINUTES EPIC!!!!! Something à la The Learning or This Godless Endeavor (2 of the best songs they ever wrote for sure)
But no, I guess it doesn't top This Godless Endeavor.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
12.05.2010 - 19:53
Hellish Star
NEVERMORE frontman Warrel Dane has announced that his late '80s cult metal outfit SANCTUARY will reunite to record a new studio album.
----

13.05.2010 - 00:21
Got Mayhem?
Written by Hellish Star on 12.05.2010 at 19:53

NEVERMORE frontman Warrel Dane has announced that his late '80s cult metal outfit SANCTUARY will reunite to record a new studio album.

No way! Link? This is unexpected to say the least....

EDIT: Well, now that it's linked at the front page I guess this is kinda redundant.
----
15.05.2010 - 19:43
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
"NEVERMORE are back and truly better than ever with the much anticipated new full-length release, The Obsidian Conspiracy, which is what could be their most impressive offering of their illustrious decade plus, heralded career. The enthralling new track, "Without Morals," can now be streamed exclusively at www.myspace.com/nevermorefans and this song is exactly what diehard fans come to expect from these metal titans."

Click here for more information and to hear the new song.
----
The force will be with you, always.