Metal Storm logo
Nevermore

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 10:54
"Seattle's NEVERMORE welcome you to "This Godless Endeavor", a grand overture where musical tapestries are fascinatingly complex while entirely accessible. The band's sixth full-length marks another peak in NEVERMORE's rapid ascend in the Metal scene and falls into line with its highly acclaimed predecessors. The first of which being the self-titled debut album released in 1995, one year after the official foundation of the band by former SANCTUARY members Warrel Dane (vocals), Jeff Loomis (guitar) and Jim Sheppard (bass). By adding drummer Van Williams the nucleus of NEVERMORE was born. Though at that time the world all-to-willingly embraced the Grunge-movement, the band dared to continue their vision for a creative and multi-faceted Metal sound. The internationally reputed producer Neil Kernon (Queensryche, Judas Priest, Flotsam & Jetsam, Yes, Rolling Stones, Journey) believed in the potential of NEVERMORE and recorded their impressive debut at his own risk. It did not take too long until the quartet was signed to Century Media Records and due to the fans' pleasant memories of SANCTUARY, and NEVERMORE's touring activities (Europe with Blind Guardian, US with Death) they could raise a good amount of interest throughout the Metal scene and found a lot of thankful purchasers.

The follow-up "In Memory" EP (1996) and the second album "The Politics Of Ecstasy" (1996) displayed NEVERMORE on their quest for their very own, unmistakable sound. The band experimented with a whole lot of influences from various styles and impressed with a great degree of highly-technical finesse that never endangered the catchiness of the songs. Still, NEVERMORE never wrote songs that easily stuck in your head, even though they're nowhere near as complicated as an Ikea construction manual, resulting in listeners giving their albums four or five runs before the variety of each song becomes obvious.

After "The Politics Of Ecstasy" the band parted ways with their second guitarist Pat O'Brien (now in Cannibal Corpse) and it took them almost a year until they found former Forbidden-member Tim Calvert to fill the vacant spot. With this line-up they recorded the masterly "Dreaming Neon Black" (1999) which showed the perfect balance between all the different components of the NEVERMORE sound. There were small, complex mini-dramas as well as super-tight thrashers and quiet, emotional tunes opposed to angry noise eruptions. NEVERMORE managed to create an album equipped with numerous non-metal trademarks which sound appealing to the usually very sensitively reacting true metal community. Or maybe it was still metal enough that it could not even upset the die-hard purists? Anyway, it is a matter of fact that the career of our five heroes just went straight up. Seemingly endless, but still extremely successful tours followed the release, the US was toured not less than four times, Europe was frequently visited (with LeFay - now Morgana Lefay again -, Sacred Steel, Nocturnal Rites) and they even stopped in Australia for a number of shows. After all, guitarist Tim Calvert decided to leave the band in early 2000 to focus on non-musical activities. The remaining band members decided to carry on as a four-piece and did not hesitate to start recording their fourth album "Dead Heart In A Dead World (2000)". For the first time not Neil Kernon but Andy Sneap (Machine Head, Testament, Skinlab, Napalm Death, Stuck Mojo) worked the knobs and moved especially Loomis "skin-flaying" guitar play to the production's forefront. Again tireless world touring followed and turned songs like "Narcosynthesis" and "Inside Four Walls" into anthemic fan favorites. German Rock Hard magazine stated fittingly: "This is the masterpiece of one of the most talented bands in present time".

2003's Enemies Of Reality received similar praise: "must have album of the year" said Outburn Magazine, Guitar One called NEVERMORE's newest songs "opuses that often reach dark symphonic peaks". With performing at Europe's largest rock festivals including the infamous Dynamo, the prestigious Wacken Open Air and sharing stage with metal's elite including Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Iced Earth, King Diamond and Opeth throughout their recording career NEVERMORE could manifest the high position they deservedly occupy within the metal scene.

Now, in 2005, "This Godless Endeavor" is the title of the band's latest work to date and was recorded at England's Backstage Studios, once again with Andy Sneap (who not only produced "Dead Heart In A Dead World" but also just recently re-worked "Enemies Of Reality"). "This Godless Endeavor" captures "the most ripping guitar work we've recorded", says vocalist Warrel Dane. Marking his NEVERMORE recording debut, guitarist Steve Smyth (ex-Testament/Dragonlord) joins core members Dane, Jeff Loomis, Jim Sheppard and Van Williams. Hugh Syme (Rush, Megadeth) provided stark album artwork, which according to Dane, "incorporates our ongoing theme of everyone wearing a mask." Appearing on the mainstage of Megadeth's Gigantour throughout the summer as well as moving over to Europe for a string of summer festivals and a full club-tour by September, NEVERMORE ask you to venture out, to experience the unfathomable, to join them on This Godless Endeavor. An album determined to become a future classic of the metal movement? "

Nevermore is:
Warrel Dane - vocals
Jeff Loomis - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Steve Smyth - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Jim Sheppard - bass
Van Williams - drums

15.05.2010 - 22:06
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Thank you for the link Clint. I'm waiting patiently to get the original CD. Still a few days to go...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
15.05.2010 - 22:37
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by BloodTears on 15.05.2010 at 22:06

Thank you for the link Clint. I'm waiting patiently to get the original CD. Still a few days to go...

Are you a don't-listen-until-you-buy kind of person or are you a peeker? I think if it's an official release it's okay to get a little taste.
----
The force will be with you, always.
16.05.2010 - 11:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Clintagräm on 15.05.2010 at 22:37

Written by BloodTears on 15.05.2010 at 22:06

Are you a don't-listen-until-you-buy kind of person or are you a peeker? I think if it's an official release it's okay to get a little taste.

I try to stay away from it as much as I can. But if the bands gives us teasers, like Nevermore has been doing, I'll listen to those. But that's it. Otherwise, the whole element of surprise when I actually get the CD and listen to it for the first time would be lost, wouldn't it? I'm one of those who still actually loves that feeling of not knowing what the album will sound like. But nowadays that feeling will die quickly because bands always release teasers and at least a song or two to expose the album.
----

My Instagram
16.05.2010 - 12:25
Hellish Star

Will see them tonight, along with DEATH ANGEL and CAULDRON
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
16.05.2010 - 18:04
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Hellish Star on 16.05.2010 at 12:25

Will see them tonight, along with DEATH ANGEL and CAULDRON

I need to move to Belgium.
----
The force will be with you, always.
11.06.2010 - 07:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I didn't like the new album after 5 or so spins. It's absolutely boring. Some parts remind me of old material in a copycat way, and the band just sounds tired. There is nothing exciting about this album that would make want to listen to it again. A few solos sound not bad but overall this album is a disappointment so far.

So I decided to go back and listen to Dead Heart, in a Dead World. Now that's a brilliant album. The variety on this record is just stunning, in singing, riffing, solos... This one keeps you focused.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
13.06.2010 - 01:13
Got Mayhem?

Written by K✞ulu on 11.06.2010 at 07:22

I didn't like the new album after 5 or so spins. It's absolutely boring. Some parts remind me of old material in a copycat way, and the band just sounds tired. There is nothing exciting about this album that would make want to listen to it again. A few solos sound not bad but overall this album is a disappointment so far.

So I decided to go back and listen to Dead Heart, in a Dead World. Now that's a brilliant album. The variety on this record is just stunning, in singing, riffing, solos... This one keeps you focused.

Pretty much agree with all of that. I like the new album, but as compared to previous releases there isn't much to keep me coming back with it. Loomis riff's like one hell of a monster on this thing though. Too bad the soloing and songwriting isn't as up to par.
----
14.06.2010 - 21:32
xdissectionx

Nevermore were playing it safe with this one. Definitely seemed more mellowed out, and my expectations weren't too high considering the amount of time that has passed since 'godless'. Mostly lost interest in the band since i figured the last album was their magnum opus.
----
14.06.2010 - 23:41
Hrothdane

Written by Guest on 14.06.2010 at 23:32

The Obsidian Conspiracy is good album that grows in you after some listenings,ofc it's not better than the previous ones,it lacks one epic long track but it's a more Dane-centered album,I like the fact that all Loomis fanboys won't gonna like it cause they're listeining only for his guitar shredding & some of them even hate the vocals(wtf?).I'm gonna say it again No Warrel,No Nevermore!

From this and the criticism I have read about the Obsidian Conspiracy, I think I will quite enjoy the album. Warrel is one of the main reasons I love the band. His range is amazing, and he can show such a depth of emotion in every word. Dreaming Neon Black (the album and song) works because you can feel the anguish, rage, and frustration in his voice. You can't get that range of feeling with growls. For the music Nevermore plays, no one could do better I think.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
15.06.2010 - 22:52
Saitenhexerin

Oh my, I simply love the Obsidian Conspiracy! It first had to grow on me but after every spin my love for that album just grew!
The melodies are great, Jeff Loomis guitarwork makes me incredibly happy and yeah. Simply perfect

and there's the new video:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/music/748
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
18.06.2010 - 10:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I think Nevermore are one of the most relevant bands of today. And they prove it again on this record.
----

My Instagram
26.06.2010 - 13:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
My fav songs of the album so far are: Your Poison Throne, Without Morals and The Day You Built the Wall.
----

My Instagram
27.06.2010 - 17:53
Black_Sheep

Moonrise is the best one from the new album imo.

And im very happy to see them live for the first time @ Tuska next week
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
27.06.2010 - 21:07
Hrothdane

I just got the new album, and I really like it. Warrel uses the really awesome sounding lower range of his voice much more I noticed.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
30.06.2010 - 02:37
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Written by Got Mayhem? on 10.05.2010 at 15:25

Does anyone else seem to think that Warrel doesn't exactly have the same gusto that he did on previous albums? Maybe it's just me but I can't help but notice that. Loomis kicks ass as usual, this album seems to be a lot more riff driven than previous offerings, which always seems to rely on some breathtaking solo to give a song it's unique attractiveness. I'm liking it, but I'm not sure if I'm liking it as much as I did "This Godless Endeavor".

I really think this is the best album Nevermore has released, because the band matches the sound of Warrell Dane's vocals much better. They don't really sound like a death metal band with a singer anymore. They sound like their own creative music.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
01.07.2010 - 00:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by AtLossForWords on 30.06.2010 at 02:37

I really think this is the best album Nevermore has released, because the band matches the sound of Warrell Dane's vocals much better. They don't really sound like a death metal band with a singer anymore. They sound like their own creative music.

They never sounded like a death metal band with a singer. US power, yes, thrash, maybe, but certainly not death metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2010 - 02:06
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.07.2010 at 00:07

Written by AtLossForWords on 30.06.2010 at 02:37

They never sounded like a death metal band with a singer. US power, yes, thrash, maybe, but certainly not death metal.

I can't agree with you. There is more than a slight extreme element Nevermore music. Instrumentally, Nevermore is more like Death than they are Iced Earth.
----
01.07.2010 - 10:58
Saitenhexerin

Written by BloodTears on 18.06.2010 at 10:55

I think Nevermore are one of the most relevant bands of today. And they prove it again on this record.

+2

I can't wait for their tour with Symphony X and Candlemass
my god I'll die with that line up!
----
01.07.2010 - 22:31
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Written by Saitenhexerin on 01.07.2010 at 10:58

+2

That's an excellent lineup. My band's singer is a huge Nevermore fan, and is forcing me to go the show, not that I'm complaining. He didn't let me know Symphony X and Candlemass were going to be there. That is a pleasant surprise.
----
01.07.2010 - 23:56
Saitenhexerin

Written by AtLossForWords on 01.07.2010 at 22:31

+2

That's an excellent lineup. My band's singer is a huge Nevermore fan, and is forcing me to go the show, not that I'm complaining. He didn't let me know Symphony X and Candlemass were going to be there. That is a pleasant surprise.

oh wait, I am not sure if we're talking about the same tour...
I listened t a Jeff Loomis interview recently ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVHYW5-mi3U&feature=player_embedded) and he's mentioning that in the middle but it's not been officially announced yet.
I'm sorry, I didn't want to get anybodies' hopes up!
----
02.07.2010 - 14:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema

+2

I hope that tour hits Portugal like I said before. Or I will be very very pissed.
----

My Instagram
20.10.2010 - 00:39
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I can't believe I started liking The Obsidian Conspiracy; not all the songs, but definitely at least half of the songs are good. And Jeff Loomis is up to the scratch actually: a lot of good guitar solos and the riffage is actually rather as insane as Nevermore usually is.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

20.10.2010 - 05:06
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
The new album is only "half" good eh?

In my humble opinion, I would say that pretty much all of the riffs are above par in comparison to some of their previous albums...each track is framed around above average riff fests...I SUPPOSE that they might all be melded together into a cornucopia of fusion, making it a tad too slick as a whole...
20.10.2010 - 10:02
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 20.10.2010 at 05:06

The new album is only "half" good eh?

In my humble opinion, I would say that pretty much all of the riffs are above par in comparison to some of their previous albums...each track is framed around above average riff fests...I SUPPOSE that they might all be melded together into a cornucopia of fusion, making it a tad too slick as a whole...

Well, right now, to me the second half of the album minus the covers and the title track (although it's not one of the top tracks on the album) is still something I don't enjoy that much, especially The Blue Marble And The New Soul, Without Morals and She Comes in Colors.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

20.10.2010 - 22:56
Hellish Star

Their newest album is stille "my number one" for this year atlhough there are still some beuaties to come...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
21.10.2010 - 03:42
Bloody_Footprint

Written by K✞ulu on 20.10.2010 at 00:39

I can't believe I started liking The Obsidian Conspiracy; not all the songs, but definitely at least half of the songs are good. And Jeff Loomis is up to the scratch actually: a lot of good guitar solos and the riffage is actually rather as insane as Nevermore usually is.

It's no " This Godless Endeavor" but after seeing them on their latest tour, I've really grown to like a majority of the album, esp "Your Poison Throne" and "The Day You Built the Wall"
----
Neurosis and Metal since '87
04.02.2011 - 15:47
Night Sight

The new album is great
i became a fan with this
fucking great!
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
07.02.2011 - 22:52
TrollandDie

Written by Bloody_Footprint on 21.10.2010 at 03:42

Written by K✞ulu on 20.10.2010 at 00:39

It's no " This Godless Endeavor" but after seeing them on their latest tour, I've really grown to like a majority of the album, esp "Your Poison Throne" and "The Day You Built the Wall"

I think it's a bit out of place to compare 'The Obsidian Conspiracy' to 'This Godless Endeavor'.
In my humble opinion they're two completely different albums; their latest is rather a lot more melodic and involves some very different musical approaches from their previous efforts. The soft songs are more focused on and are thus better orchestated than tunes on their other LPS.
Their heavy songs however, don't really leave as much an impression on me compared to the masterpieces off their 2005 release.

As I've said, both awesome LPs and in a way can't really be compared.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
09.02.2011 - 23:23
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
I'm a very big fan of both albums. This Godless Endeavor might be a tad better, but the Obsidian Conspiracy is at least as good as Dead Heart in a Dead World and Dreaming Neon Black. That really says something about how good this album is. I would even say I prefer this album to Politics of Ecstasy and Enemies of Reality.
----
12.02.2011 - 23:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Actually I don't think I prefer The Obsidian Conspiracy to any of their other albums, except their debut album.
----

My Instagram