Album: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Release date: September 1976

01. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
02. Love At First Feel
03. Big Balls
04. Rocker
05. Problem Child
06. There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'
07. Ain't No Fun (Waiting Round To Be A Millionaire)
08. Ride On
09. Squealer

"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" exists in two version, one for Australia featuring "R.I.P" and "Jailbreak," and another for the Europe, minus those two tracks but with "Rocker" from the album "T.N.T" and an exclusive track "Love At First Feel." The fact is, at the beginning, AC/DC had to wait for an international distribution. The result is a pretty difference between the 3 first Australian albums (High Voltage, TNT and DDDDC) and what we got in Europe (High Voltage and DDDDC, European High Voltage is a compilation of the Australian HV and T.N.T). We will discuss about the International version of DDDDC. Noted that this version was not released in the U.S. at that time. It will be only in 1981, after the success of "Highway to Hell" and will enter directly into 3rd place in the Billboard.

So for his second album (third in Australia), AC/DC wanted to confirm the great hopes ignited by "High Voltage." And we are all reassured here about the potential of the group. AC/DC handle their bluesy Hard-Rock with great effectiveness (see the title track with his recognizable bad riff or "Love At First Feel"), even if it's tinged with Boogie (See "Rocker" or the nagging "There's Gonna Be Some Rockin"). But some tracks exhibit already the future direction of the band. Listen to "Problem Child", and you can already hear in the distance the "highway to Hell" style with less boogie and blues. We have also some strange UFO on this album., like "Big Balls" with a choir of children or the very long "Is Not No Fun (Waiting Round To Be A Millionaire)" and his repeated riff.

"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" finally ends with two jewels: first, one of the most known and esteemed composition of the band, the legendary blues "Ride On", where you can already hear the exceptional feeling of Angus and Scott. And for the conclusion, we have "Squealer," a lazy start leaving a fiery solo of Angus, going from genius to insane, back and forth.

At the end, "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" is a really good album, the base on what AC/DC will build his legend. It's well produced and varied and you can feel, all along those nine tracks, the future of those amazing musicians.

Best Tracks : "Ride On," "Problem Child," the solo of Squealer

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by giok99 | 29.03.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 60 users
29.03.2009 - 23:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Man....so many grammatical errors, that got really hard to read.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.03.2010 - 22:37
Rating: 6
I_Die_Often

My first "hard rock" album, bought it when I was 11 or 12 (so it was still pretty new then! LOL!)
For me, this and Back In Black is all one needs for AC/DC, everything else sounds the same!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
06.09.2015 - 23:01
Rating: 8
Timelord

There is NO WAY "Highway to Hell" and "Blow up Your Video" sound the same. I was lucky enough to have seen Bon Scott on the Highway tour with Judas Priest(supporting British Steel) and Def Leopard (on through the Night). Will NEVER forget that show.
13.02.2016 - 01:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Today those versions does not matter, I have heard bat and even song by song million tines, so me it does not matter anymore.... PS no offense, lyric was more about ausie and Europe, ot music, but I like it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6955 | This month: 20