07. Under The Moon
08. Lavatory Love Machine
09. Rise Of The Morning Glory
10. Lucifer In Love
11. Navigator
12. The Spirit Will Remain
13. Children Of Steel [bonus]
14. Mysteria [feat. Mille Petrozza] [bonus]

The long-awaited album from Edguy, finally entitled "Hellfire Club" [originally "Mysteria"], is once again a terrific masterpiece of German Power Metal. Successor to the magnificent "Mandrake" and the live album "Burning Down The Opera", this new album marks the beginning of a deal with Nuclear Blast after a long period with AFM Records.

But changing label didn't make Edguy music any different and it's a blessing! Same style, Tobias Sammet still has that amazing voice and a few innovative variations give some songs a new look.

Like "Mandrake", this album opens with a majestic track, 'Mysteria', one of the best songs of the CD. A long composition called 'The Piper Never Dies' follows and it is probably the most epic song of "Hellfire Club"; powerful, full of great moments and? heavy! Then follows 'We Don't Need A Hero', catchy chorus, fast tempo, intrepid solos courtesy of Jens Ludwig and Dirk Sauer. It's another fine track. One could say it's a typical Edguy song, soul and heart.

'Down To The Devil' could appear as a basic heavy metal anthem at first but soon unveils to be an excellent song, maybe even the best on "Hellfire Club". It includes, in my opinion, the best guitar work of the album. Also a great introduction and an original piano break enhances that song.

'King Of Fools' was already featured on the EP preceding the album and it's exactly the same version. Cool and powerful but 'Down To The Devil' would still be my pick. The mandatory ballad is here, 'Forever', in a pure Edguy style. "Hellfire Club" was announced more aggressive than "Mandrake", and it is indeed. A song such as 'Under The Moon' is here to prove me right.

With 'Lavatory Love Machine', the joking side of the band is once again underlined. The song if funny but not unforgivable. It's going to be one of these songs very cool on stage though! 'Rise Of The Morning Glory' is truly typical of Edguy. Without being indispensable to the album, it gives a good Power Metal kick to it.

'Navigator' on the other hand is another highlight on "Hellfire Club". A very catchy chorus once again, a really good track. Another ballad concludes the album, 'The Spirit Will Remain'. A perfect exercise for the voice of Tobias, almost a cappella [the orchestra is somewhere in the background]. A good choice to end this fine album.

Now the black mark is that the use of the orchestra on this album is almost inaudible and you could even miss that fact! The production is so aggressive that the orchestra sounds like it was another band using it to record in another room; unlike on 'Holy Water' from the King Of Fools EP, which gave me higher hopes for this album to sound more symphonic. Next time, don't forget to turn the microphone on?

Despite the rather inaudible use of an orchestra, which sounded promising, "Hellfire Club" is another great album of Power Metal tainted with Edguy savoir-faire. While some might point the closeness to their previous album "Mandrake", positive spirits are to observe that this album is another great release from the "Edguys".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written on 29.05.2004 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Staff review by
Malcolm
Rating:
Coming Out: 15 March 2004.

They are back!!!!!!
The Midges of Metal, the Savage ones, the pride of Germany. It's Edguy I'm talking about, so you don't misunderstand me.
"Hellfire Club" is the name of the game, the first with their new label Nuclear Blast, and what an album, ladies and gentlemen, what an album!

Read more ››
published 26.01.2004 | Comments (7)

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 76 users
30.03.2009 - 00:25
Rating: 9
Mountain King
K i K o
I guess this has to be one of Edguy's best albums..."Down To The Devil" with it's piano part and "Mysteria" are so amazing
13.04.2009 - 07:15
Hrothdane

My favorite Edguy album. Thoroughly enjoyable, and a real step forward for the band. In hindsight, they will most likely never make an album this good again.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
13.04.2009 - 07:48
Lord_Regnier

Written by Hrothdane on 13.04.2009 at 07:15

In hindsight, they will most likely never make an album this good again.

I agree. "Rocket Ride" and "Tinnitus Sanctus" are hard rock-ish garbage and, as Sammet tells out loud each time he gets a chance, he has no interest for fast Powermetal anymore. I don't want to be rude but, to be honest, Edguy look and sound like a 'cock rock' band now.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
13.04.2009 - 08:31
Hrothdane

Written by Lord_Regnier on 13.04.2009 at 07:48

Written by Hrothdane on 13.04.2009 at 07:15

In hindsight, they will most likely never make an album this good again.

I agree. "Rocket Ride" and "Tinnitus Sanctus" are hard rock-ish garbage and, as Sammet tells out loud each time he gets a chance, he has no interest for fast Powermetal anymore. I don't want to be rude but, to be honest, Edguy look and sound like a 'cock rock' band now.

They really do. I think Sammet has been hanging around Michael Kiske too much. That, and he seems to be completely full of himself. I highly doubt he will get kicked out like Kiske though, so Edguy has nowhere to go but down.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
13.04.2009 - 08:42
Lord_Regnier

Written by Hrothdane on 13.04.2009 at 08:31

I think Sammet has been hanging around Michael Kiske too much. That, and he seems to be completely full of himself. I highly doubt he will get kicked out like Kiske though, so Edguy has nowhere to go but down.

I totally agree. What I think is Sammet has lost his mind. He's so cocky since a while, I can't stand him at all. Each time he opens his mouth, it's to say silly and arrogant things ("I feel a little bit like God", "You like me or can can kiss my ass", etc).

Honestly, I've always despised Joey DeMaio for his swollen head and arrogance but I believe Sammet is even more unpleasant than DeMaio since a while.

And yes, he'll lead both Edguy and Avantasia to their demise. It's only a matter of time.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
25.09.2009 - 12:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hellfire club is one of the bests, but not best by Edguy
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.01.2020 - 14:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Why band changed album title?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8255 | This month: 10