Metal Storm logo
Do you want to enroll in musical education ?

Poll

Do you want to be educated in musical by musical school ?

Yes
No

Total votes: 10
03.04.2009 - 08:43
FOOCK Nam

We all know that if being educated is good, of course not besides in metal. But I wonder do you want to be educated or enroll in musical school/universities/colleges to be good metal musicians. I choose only 2 option to be voted, utmostly "no" and "yes". For me, I vote for thumbs up, Before, I think Im too immature to think that without educational, some people still can be good at composing music, including metal. But then gradually I realize that its better to be educated before becoming a good musician, including metal music. I heard many metal musicans also enrolled in musical schools, or they of course have their own education of music. So share your voting...
03.04.2009 - 15:58
Ernis
狼獾
Musical education is essential....although there are plenty of musicians who are autodidacts, the more educated the musician, the higher levels of technique and overall "living" the music....I studied piano once....it was really difficult but this is sure it would be impossible to study to play properly and to develop one's own style without taking proper lessons, unless one wishes to stick to the synth and play some bland accords....

I've found some cheap violins but I ain't sure I'd be able to study it myself...without proper education.....and fiddle's a lot more difficult to play than piano nor guitar....not knowing how to handle it may lead to physical pain....

That is to say....anyone can study to play some accords on guitar, pluck some bass guitar, sing something etc....but the true soloists and masters of their field have inevitably taken lessons at some point of their lives....

Btw it is also tragic/comic when a musician is asked "Could you play "Für Elise" by Ludwig van Beethoven" and the reply is "Oh! To be honest I've got no effing idea who you're talking about..." yes...even non musicians should know that Beethoven is not just the dog from that comedy....
03.04.2009 - 19:58
tulkas
el parcero
I'd certainly like to enroll myself into music school, i'm what you'd call a frustrated musician. my problem is that i lack the discipline tht it would take to succeed at it. but if sometime i have the time and the money, i would most likely enroll in some musical academy or something
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
03.04.2009 - 20:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmmm... i don't really know, there are lots of people who don't give a damn about music theory, and some others (like me) when i started playing guitar, i started thinking "wtf all that crap i've been learning in music class wasn't for nothing... what the hell was i thinking"

i think we should be presented with a choice when we start education as to whether we want to study more sports, more music, more arts etc.
23.09.2009 - 07:57
FOOCK Nam

But my question is: if you enroll in musical school or be alone on learning instrumentals, which way is faster for you all to be good at it?
23.09.2009 - 08:21
tulkas
el parcero
Written by FOOCK Nam on 23.09.2009 at 07:57

But my question is: if you enroll in musical school or be alone on learning instrumentals, which way is faster for you all to be good at it?

Either way, I guess the most decisive factor is discipline. Even if you have some 'natural talent' for an instrument, if you don't have any discipline and therefore never practice, etc etc, you won't get anywhere. That's why I never made it with the guitar.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
23.09.2009 - 09:03
Hellkommando

My cousin is a fantastic guitarist and wanted to teach me to play when I was a kid but I never stuck at it, it is honestly one my biggest regrets. I would love to learn now but its just time and discipline between my studies and other things I just don't dedicate enough time to learning. But yeah, I would love to learn to play guitar properly and have thought about learning through a school even though I would be better off to learn from my cousin.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
23.09.2009 - 09:49
FOOCK Nam

Discipline and time, good experience.
23.09.2009 - 11:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think i am more proud of my songs composed and singing knowing i have absolutely no musical education and i learned all by myself...the good thing about it is, there is noone who leads you "how to do it right and better"...so my vote goes for NO
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep