Metal Storm logo
Musical educational background of metal musicians

03.04.2009 - 08:45
FOOCK Nam

The title of the topic says its all. As far as I know, some metal musicians enrolled musical school or conservatoire, e.g. the singer of HammerFall, Joasim Can enrolled his musical education in US, same for the ex-guitarist of HammerFall now working as pilot, Gus G of Firewind also, studied music in US, vocalist of Stratovarius, Timo Kotipelto also joined jazz/pop or something in the Finnish musical schoo. So, please share your knowledge and information about the musical educational background of metal musicians. And also check this topic as accessory of this one I make in general metal forum.
03.04.2009 - 13:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Well, Dream Theater is a good example of that. As far as I know, Portnoy, Petrucci and Myung met at a conservatoire, where they used to jam endlessly.

I think it makes for a better musician.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.04.2009 - 15:17
tulkas
el parcero
Written by BloodTears on 03.04.2009 at 13:32

Well, Dream Theater is a good example of that. As far as I know, Portnoy, Petrucci and Myung met at a conservatoire, where they used to jam endlessly.

I think it makes for a better musician.

i was gonna name them as well. yeah, they met at the berkely conservatoire in california where they would cover iron maiden songs and other stuff. although they dropped out to focus on the band, they really are great muscians, some of the best out there, and it does show in their music, from 'when dream and day unite' until today.

and yes, having musical background studies and the such does make a musician better, although it also takes discipine, a looot of discipline
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
03.04.2009 - 15:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
It depends. Having musical studies as a background CAN make a musician better, but in 9 out of 10 cases this isn't the case. Just look at all the musicians playing in the so-called progressive metal field. Their musical knowledge most of the times ihinders them instead of furthers them on imo. A band such as Dream Theater would have been so much more emotional than they are now had they not taken any music lessons.
The music theory makes the musicians THINK and in most cases that is the death of emotion. Music becomes too calculated then.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.04.2009 - 19:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It dependds from edjuaction genrealy not only musical, people are well edjuacted in all thinks he be better same in music , people can play well, but if he dont know hmmm some basic thinks he wont eb good musicans
sbout well Adjuacted Tarja is werry adjuacted dont know how many high schools she finished buts he studied at Gereany sho tock brake in NW and Marko Hietala was free and taror realised ''Pyre Of The Gods'' albnum whyle Tarja studied
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.04.2009 - 07:12
totaliteraliter

Luc Lemay of Gorguts spent some years at some conservatory around the time of Obscura, unsurprisingly. He mentions it in an old BW&BK interview. Statistically speaking this is an extremely rare phenomenon I think. I'd love to see more musicians approach metal songwriting with a formal education in classical composition behind them. If Obscura is any indication of the potential, that is... I don't think he put his knowledge to work quite as much for From Wisdom To Hate.
06.04.2009 - 07:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
List of Berklee Alumni:

Al Pitrelli
James Malone (Arsis) (not sure if he graduated)
Les Claypool (undefined, possible drop out/transfer)
Adam Dutkiewicz (Killswitch Engage)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
06.04.2009 - 08:47
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2009 at 15:33

It depends. Having musical studies as a background CAN make a musician better, but in 9 out of 10 cases this isn't the case. Just look at all the musicians playing in the so-called progressive metal field. Their musical knowledge most of the times ihinders them instead of furthers them on imo. A band such as Dream Theater would have been so much more emotional than they are now had they not taken any music lessons.
The music theory makes the musicians THINK and in most cases that is the death of emotion. Music becomes too calculated then.

evn though i love DT, i do agree with here, and imo that's the problem that they have, and what i haven't liked a bout some of their songs/albums. an it's that, that maybe they think too much on all that theory and stuff and it maes them want to make things 'musically perfect', you know what i mean? like things should be a certain way because musial theory says it. i guess it's that, but aside from that, it does help musicains a lot. like there's more pros than cons, hehe
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
21.02.2013 - 14:05
seazons

Wow i really thankful to all the members who make my confidence by this page...
Educational Training jobs
21.02.2013 - 17:46
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2009 at 15:33

I don't agree with this. Its the musician's decision to focus on technique or emotion, the large majority will want to do both. Tarja Turunen has gone through extensive musical training, and she is widely regarded as one of the most expressive female vocalists. Daniel Gildenlow from Pain of Salvation also has gone through a lot of training and he has crafted a really accessible form of Progressive Metal. Even Dream Theater, a lot of their songs are very personal and very emotional and occasionally you will get the 10 minutes of instrumental masturbation.

I think you can never get enough training, it will only make you a better musician. I remember taking an art history class and when we were going over Expressionism my professor quoted an artist from the time (I forgot who :<) saying something along these lines: ''We can only paint like this because we have mastered all of the previous techniques.'' I wish the same could be said about metal musicians too.
----
10.03.2013 - 00:15
skrog1

I'm a college grad but in the area of film and comics. I did, technically, take a few "music" or "music production" or "sound design" courses - which would probably qualify me to have some sort of advanced education. But honestly, what I know about guitar and music theory I've learned by ear and watching others.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband