Metal Storm logo
Is Doom Metal an Original Metal Genre or not?

Poll

Is Doom Metal an Original Metal Genre or not?

Yes it is Original
No its not Original

Total votes: 102
05.04.2009 - 19:23
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Maybe someone thinks why I opened such poll. I have to tell a story:
I was at a persian metal blog 2 mounths ago, I entered to Doom Metal thread and saw a post which was saying:

"Doom Metal is not an Original Metal Genre and it came through Heavy Metal by Black Sabbath"

we talked a lot about this, my opinion was that Doom Metal is an original genre, but the lady who was talkin with me tried to convince me that its not and her reasons were that we cant find any 2 doom metal bands which sounds the same! and her other reason was that, "why every subgenres of doom metal has a suffix or prefix such as black doom, death doom ... etc.

I said to her, that I'll open a poll here at Metal Storm for enlighten this topic.

Edited: The other thing which we talked about it much, was that she and her friends were saying that: "Traditional Doom is not a original one cause its coming through the heart of NWOBHM and Heavy Metal itself", they tried to convince me that Traditional is mixed with Doom
05.04.2009 - 19:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Doom metal as a genre is as original a genre as death metal, black metal, thrash metal etc. So, yes, it is an original genre.

If she thinks it's impossible to find two bands that sound the same she clearly only knows the big doom bands.
Especially in the tradtional doom subgenre there are loads of bands that sound like Saint Vitus.
It is true that most doom bands have been influenced by Black Sabbath. But then again all genres sprout from other genres.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.04.2009 - 19:30
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.04.2009 at 19:27

Doom metal as a genre is as original a genre as death metal, black metal, thrash metal etc. So, yes, it is an original genre.

If she thinks it's impossible to find two bands that sound the same she clearly only knows the big doom bands.
Especially in the tradtional doom subgenre there are loads of bands that sound like Saint Vitus.
It is true that most doom bands have been influenced by Black Sabbath. But then again all genres sprout from other genres.

I answered her exactly as you answered me. but she said:
"Tarditional Doom"="Heavy Doom", I said that Saint Vitus and Trouble are very near at sound (their early works), but she didnt accept it!
05.04.2009 - 19:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Does flower metal is original, does death metal is original, does black is original, does metal is original generaly?
Of corse doom metal is original genre, maye bands isnpiaret of Sabbath , but isnipration dont means they coppy thinks
There planty supganres in doom metal(ghosh if greek dude soul alsymum IMO was name read it )
Each of band specely firts one in genre is originl, also leither followers are, only who isnt is swallow the cum

TBG ask her how many doom bands she know and hed her?

Pronobly MDB, Candleass, Anathema, ParadiseLost and such bands, but there many many bands into doom fmily, many genres no metter what stylke of doom I listen I never had bored yeah NP:Candlemass : The Bleeding Baroness

But from other side, less people know about doom its better because we dont need fest liek dDD sold ot so many tickets how WAO, Summer reze, Blodtock whatever
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.04.2009 - 19:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 05.04.2009 at 19:30

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.04.2009 at 19:27

I answered her exactly as you answered me. but she said:
"Tarditional Doom"="Heavy Doom", I said that Saint Vitus and Trouble are very near at sound (their early works), but she didnt accept it!

then she should also listen to Pale Divine, Doomraiser, Merca, Leather Nun, Wall Of Sleep, Iron Hearse, Dreaming. If she can't hear the similarities with Saint Vitus there then she is clearly deaf.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.04.2009 - 19:47
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 05.04.2009 at 19:36

does metal is original generaly?

lol, it was one of my very first questions which I asked her.
but she wasnt my only reason to open this poll, casue I heard this words from other ppl too.
06.04.2009 - 10:39
dunkelheit_13
Written by Guest on 05.04.2009 at 19:23

Maybe someone thinks why I opened such poll. I have to tell a story:
I was at a persian metal blog 2 mounths ago, I entered to Doom Metal thread and saw a post which was saying:

"Doom Metal is not an Original Metal Genre and it came through Heavy Metal by Black Sabbath"

we talked a lot about this, my opinion was that Doom Metal is an original genre, but the lady who was talkin with me tried to convince me that its not and her reasons were that we cant find any 2 doom metal bands which sounds the same! and her other reason was that, "why every subgenres of doom metal has a suffix or prefix such as black doom, death doom ... etc.

I said to her, that I'll open a poll here at Metal Storm for enlighten this topic.

shit! you did it at last, I remember the funny meaningless war btw you and her. Im a huge fan of Traditional Doom and its original IMO and I think its created first then Heay Metal. cause Black Sabbath's early works are Doom IMO. (studio albums)
----
war is over if you want
06.04.2009 - 10:52
Eeric
Account deleted
I think that Black Sabbath is doom, so answer is yes
06.04.2009 - 11:03
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.04.2009 at 10:52

I cant say that Black Sabbath is just a Doomer but yes their early works and better to call it Ozzy years! were Doomish!
06.04.2009 - 11:13
Brave

That guy sayd Black Sabbath is not metal? no fucking way

I wondering something... WHAT ARE YOU GUYS SAYING ORIGINAL METAL
06.04.2009 - 11:15
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.04.2009 at 11:03

I cant say that Black Sabbath is just a Doomer but yes their early works and better to call it Ozzy years! were Doomish!

oh, ok
I'm not so friend of art from black sabbath
06.04.2009 - 11:16
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Brave on 06.04.2009 at 11:13

That guy sayd Black Sabbath is not metal? no fucking way

I wondering something... WHAT ARE YOU GUYS SAYING ORIGINAL METAL

Doom metal not Metal, Original means that its a different genre. for example stoner IMO is not an original genre IMO.
06.04.2009 - 11:19
Brave
Well... so what's original?
06.04.2009 - 12:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Yes. Doom metal is original. I even dare to say that it's one of the most original styles in the metal scene. It has a lot of subgenres with different kind of melodies. The subgenres sound different from each others but still sound doom. That's the best of it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.04.2009 - 14:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Have you hear dehumninazer and albums whit Ian Gillan and Tonny Martin?
----

apos;'
[image]
06.04.2009 - 14:34
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I think this is the most senseless topic ever created! You can't judge a whole genre, because in every genre are some original bands and some that aren't original at all, but you can't say "that genre is very original". (the second most senseless topic is btw that one with the new Metallica album )
06.04.2009 - 14:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Diabolos on 06.04.2009 at 14:34

I think this is the most senseless topic ever created! You can't judge a whole genre, because in every genre are some original bands and some that aren't original at all, but you can't say "that genre is very original". (the second most senseless topic is btw that one with the new Metallica album )

Somehow about band originality its like saying this
true metalheads is whit long hair, whit ouit are posers.... isnt it same situation?
----

apos;'
[image]
06.04.2009 - 15:26
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Bad English on 06.04.2009 at 14:48

Somehow about band originality its like saying this
true metalheads is whit long hair, whit ouit are posers.... isnt it same situation?

Yeah, thats true, but everyone who is at least a little bit openminded finds at least one band in every genre that is original for him and one that isn't
06.04.2009 - 15:40
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Guest on 06.04.2009 at 15:31

I cant see any synonym man. and none of them are senseless, as you see ppl want to talk at these topics and if you dont like it, please dont write outtopic and usless posts.

If you think there is not original genres its your right. Generally Im agree with you about this but as you see a lot of ppl accept genres, cause it makes easy to find your own taste of music, thast all. but if you think we dont have genres why are you here at METAL sotorm? cause Metal is a genre, yeah?

I never said that I don't think there are genres, I only said that you can't judge about a whole genre with many thousands of bands! It's ridiculous to say "that genre is original" or "this genre isn't original" because there are original bands in every genre!

And I have no idea why you think my post is offtopic or useless, because I only answered the question and if that isn't ontopic then I'm writing offtopic all the time
06.04.2009 - 16:07
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Guest on 06.04.2009 at 15:44

Written by Diabolos on 06.04.2009 at 15:40

I cant see any synonym man. and none of them are senseless, as you see ppl want to talk at these topics and if you dont like it, please dont write outtopic and usless posts.

If you think there is not original genres its your right. Generally Im agree with you about this but as you see a lot of ppl accept genres, cause it makes easy to find your own taste of music, thast all. but if you think we dont have genres why are you here at METAL sotorm? cause Metal is a genre, yeah?

I never said that I don't think there are genres, I only said that you can't judge about a whole genre with many thousands of bands! It's ridiculous to say "that genre is original" or "this genre isn't original" because there are original bands in every genre!

And I have no idea why you think my post is offtopic or useless, because I only answered the question and if that isn't ontopic then I'm writing offtopic all the time

first of all you tired to make fun with comapring this poll to an another poll. this is not offtopic?

secondly we are talkin about a genre not about millions of bands man, get it?

Lol, and there are not millions of bands IN that genre?

And i never compared these two threads, I only wanted to say that I think the polls you open are totally senseless (that's not a personal assault or something like that, only my opinion).
06.04.2009 - 16:17
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Guest on 06.04.2009 at 16:09

Written by Diabolos on 06.04.2009 at 16:07

Written by Guest on 06.04.2009 at 15:44

Written by Diabolos on 06.04.2009 at 15:40

first of all you tired to make fun with comapring this poll to an another poll. this is not offtopic?

secondly we are talkin about a genre not about millions of bands man, get it?

Lol, and there are not millions of bands IN that genre?

And i never compared these two threads, I only wanted to say that I think the polls you open are totally senseless (that's not a personal assault or something like that, only my opinion).

than you for your ontopic posts.

Oh yeah, great what you are doing here. Opening senseless polls and then if anyone has a different opinion than you just start insulting them and try to convince them that your opinion is the only one that is true. Sry, but I don't like people that are behaving like that and I won't post in your topics again because it's hopeless
06.04.2009 - 22:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@Diabolos I clearly suggest you to read the opening post so you can find out why The_Black_God opened this poll and what he means by it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.04.2009 - 02:51
BuzzPhil
Yes... Doom Metal is definitively an original metal genre. The person with whom you were talking was just... not right.
07.04.2009 - 07:32
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Could anyone tell me about the exact elements and songwrttings (I mean musically with alphabets music) of doom metal? or there arent such things?
08.04.2009 - 04:14
Hyvaarin
The woman the OP mentioned is a dolt. The stupidity required to say that a genre's having bands that sound different makes it unoriginal blows my fucking mind.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
08.04.2009 - 10:12
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 08.04.2009 at 04:14

The woman the OP mentioned is a dolt. The stupidity required to say that a genre's having bands that sound different makes it unoriginal blows my fucking mind.

Totally agree with you.
08.04.2009 - 19:11
metalhead3
It is original metal genre,there is so many doom metal bands that sound same.
08.04.2009 - 19:17
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Ive edited my post, plz read it again. (last part is added)
09.04.2009 - 18:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Laughing at the last part you added. According to that girl's reasoning no genre is original then. For example... thrash came straight out of nwobhm, death metal straight out of thrash, black metal straight out of death metal etc. Oky some other influences were mixed with it, but then again that also happened with doom. But Black Sabbath was never part of the nwobhm. And she apparently doesn't understand that nwobhm wasn't a sound but it was a period in time consisting of bands with load s of different sounds.

And just now looking at the band list of doom bands I have on original cd or lp (Doom Over North wanted to know some band) I currently have original cd's/lp's by 238 bands. Just looking at that number (and at the bandlist on http://www.doom-metal.com I can safely say that doom metal IS a genre.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.04.2009 - 19:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.04.2009 at 18:57

Laughing at the last part you added. According to that girl's reasoning no genre is original then. For example... thrash came straight out of nwobhm, death metal straight out of thrash, black metal straight out of death metal etc. Oky some other influences were mixed with it, but then again that also happened with doom. But Black Sabbath was never part of the nwobhm. And she apparently doesn't understand that nwobhm wasn't a sound but it was a period in time consisting of bands with load s of different sounds.

And just now looking at the band list of doom bands I have on original cd or lp (Doom Over North wanted to know some band) I currently have original cd's/lp's by 238 bands. Just looking at that number (and at the bandlist on http://www.doom-metal.com I can safely say that doom metal IS a genre.

Maybe she didnt say NWOBHM exactly, but Im sure that she and her friends were talkin about that cause Traditional Doom and Heavy Metal are alomst the same so Traditional is just Heavy metal. but as I know bands like Reverend Bizarre which is a new band ,when we compare it to old ones, still sounds like Traditional Doom.

they tired to convince me with music alephabets! but Im not master at it and couldnt answer them. I'll translate that part and I will post it here.