Metal Storm logo
Best Swedish Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal band

Original post

Posted by Valmont, 13.07.2006 - 01:37
One extremely important piece of the melodic death jigsaw puzzle is the Gothenburg style, named after the city from which it originated. It is not certain what band originally started the Gothenburg sound, but it is widely accepted that In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity are the three major popularizers of the style, and some of the only widely known bands to practice it, with newer bands such as Arch Enemy and The Haunted being offshoots of Carcass and At The Gates respectively. -Wikipedia
I thought i can just give a little info. Not that you need it tho. Anyways so, which one is it for you? I guess this will end up Amon Amarth being the leader. I don't know maybe because they stayed pure from the beginning but my choice is Dark Tranquillity. They are giving the little signs of turning out like In Flames tho but i follow them!

Poll

Which one is the best Swedish "Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal" band?

Dark Tranquillity
Amon Amarth
In Flames (pre-Clayman)
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
Edge of Sanity
Other
Soilwork

Total votes: 428
13.07.2010 - 06:20
Angelic Storm
Melodious
What's funny is, Carcass' ''Heartwork'' (and indeed ''Swansong" which isnt death metal in any way! :\ ) is listed as ''melodic death metal'' on MS. Whereas Arch Enemy, who basically play the exactly same style of metal as that album are called ''Gothenburg''. ''Heartwork" is pretty much usually accepted as kickstarting the whole melodeath/Gothenburg genre. ''Gothenburg'' technically, isnt even really a genre. Its because a lot of bands from there/Sweden started playing the style that Carcass had started, and the genre became attatched to that area. Some people might say that seeing as Carcass arent Swedish, ''Heartwork'' cant really be called Gothenburg. But I would refute this, seeing as Michael Ammot actually is Swedish, and wrote a lot of stuff on that album. Especially the more melodic parts.

If ''Heartwork'' is melodic death, then Arch Enemy must be as well, as most of their songs are of the same genre as that album. Its a bit silly really.

As for what Marcel, sorry "Vuvuzelas ftw", (:P ) said, I dont really agree with. Ive heard a lot of doom bands, and frankly, there's not much originality there at all. most of the bands in that genre sound very similar to each other. Methinks he's just a little biased...

I stand by my choice of Scar Symmetry. The riffs are great, the melodies catchy, and the vocals (especially when Christian Alvestam was in the band) are just awesome. I also love the twin solos of Per and Jonas. xD
13.07.2010 - 12:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.07.2010 at 06:20

As for what Marcel, sorry "Vuvuzelas ftw", (:P ) said, I dont really agree with. Ive heard a lot of doom bands, and frankly, there's not much originality there at all. most of the bands in that genre sound very similar to each other. Methinks he's just a little biased...

I didn't say there was much originality in doom, but that it is more original than what people call melodic death/gothenburg nowadays.

Old Arch Enemy is way more melodic death metal than what it evolved into when Angela joined. Nowadays there is almost no death metal left in the sound at all. Lie for example In Flames it is speeded up old Iron Maiden with a bit of aadded extremity. And that IS what is called the Gothenburg sound. Speeded up old IM with added extremity. And like with bay area thrash the bands that first started playing it are from a specific geographical area thus, in this case, the name of the city was attached to the specific sound.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.07.2010 - 12:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Kennoth on 13.07.2010 at 03:31

Saying that Solution and SS have no ties to death metal is ludicrous. While they focus a lot on melodic clean vocals, and melody in general, there are still growls, blast beats and just about most of the things you expect from death metal act. Also, I don't listen to Arch Enemy or In Flames or Dark Tranquility, but if they're not melodic death, just what are they?

blast beats and growls don't make up death metal. The riffing bands such as SS and 45 S use and their tuning are totally not death metal.
Melodic death etal is proper death metal with loads of melody.
As for what AE and IF are, read my answer to Angelic Storm's post.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.07.2010 - 14:31
Kennoth

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.07.2010 at 12:19

blast beats and growls don't make up death metal. The riffing bands such as SS and 45 S use and their tuning are totally not death metal.
Melodic death etal is proper death metal with loads of melody.
As for what AE and IF are, read my answer to Angelic Storm's post.

That classification that melodeath is regular death metal with extra melody can't stand anymore. Like I said before, things have changed, and genre has inevitably evolved, so such simplistic description no longer applies.

While I agree about a lot of melodeath bands being 'sped up IM with added ferocity' (melodeath IS often described as heavy metal meets death metal so no argument there), the fact their tuning is not the same in say Morbid Angel one's for example, doesn't mean that they have no ties to the genre.

Besides, we have to classify them SOMEWAY, and you still haven't answered my question regarding how you would do it if they aren't death.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
13.07.2010 - 14:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Kennoth on 13.07.2010 at 14:31

Besides, we have to classify them SOMEWAY, and you still haven't answered my question regarding how you would do it if they aren't death.

I did, I called them Gothenburg and even explained why. I stand by the fact that using the word death metal is totally inappropriate for these bands since no death metal is left in their music. Even most of those bands say they don't play melodic death etal. Ask Dark Tranquillity and they will say they only played that very early on in their career. In Flames will even say that they never played melodic death metal
The geographic name can be sued to describe a sound. Just look at Bay Area thrash, Teutonic thrash.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2011 - 23:33
blacktooth85

I personally like Arch Enemy the most out of all those
13.05.2011 - 11:05
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
At the gates for me... they have created such an atmosphere that it just hooks me totally
24.02.2012 - 21:56
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Amon Amarth chopping your head out! Addictive as hell and with great gutturals... Perfect song structures, although I don't like the albums between 1999~2001.
25.02.2012 - 07:20
IncoherentScream

Pre-Clayman In Flames. The song structures and harmonized guitars get me.
10.03.2012 - 15:40
Infernal Eternal

Amon Amarth is my fave but Gates Of Ishtar are also good.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
10.03.2012 - 17:57
Codera the Great
Account deleted
Dan Swano's growls are intense, and Edge of Sanity was just an amazing band.
10.04.2012 - 10:56
Infernal Eternal

I also like pre-Clayman In Flames.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
12.05.2012 - 08:40
RollingOnTheRock

I like AA, DT, AE, IF

I vote for AA because this band take me into melodic death world

Their music make me feel more power everytime I listen to
----
Collecting metal pieces for passion
12.05.2012 - 12:55
@gent_-_orange

Why are Edge of Sanity so low? Anyway my vote goes to them. IMO they are vastly superior to any of the other bands on this list.
15.05.2012 - 09:54
SunFalcon

Written by Kennoth on 13.07.2010 at 04:08

Written by BitterCOld on 13.07.2010 at 04:03

to each their own, i guess.

Definitely.

While I agree that some melodeath bands are heavier than others, as I said on several other occasions, I can't stomach songs which consist solely of harsh vocals; I prefer a harmonic combination of the two (second being clean ones obviously). Scar Symmetry definitely isn't a band if you prefer rawness and brutality, though they too have their moments. (on a sidenote, let us not forget their 'progressive' elements too)

I like This Band (Scar Symmetry) too
----
What Left Of Me Shall Build A New World
15.05.2012 - 10:00
SunFalcon

Hey guys anyone heard about Disarmonia Mundi
----
15.05.2012 - 15:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by SunFalcon on 15.05.2012 at 10:00

Yup. They suck.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.05.2012 - 17:43
SunFalcon

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.05.2012 at 15:42

Written by SunFalcon on 15.05.2012 at 10:00

Yup. They suck.

what the hell........... How About Mercenay
----
15.05.2012 - 17:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by SunFalcon on 15.05.2012 at 17:43
How About Mercenay

11 Dreams is a pretty good album, but their latest is atrocious. Makes Killswitch Engage seem legendary by comparison.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.05.2012 - 18:06
SunFalcon

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.05.2012 at 17:44

Written by SunFalcon on 15.05.2012 at 17:43
How About Mercenay

11 Dreams is a pretty good album, but their latest is atrocious. Makes Killswitch Engage seem legendary by comparison.

I Like 11 Dreams And The Hour That Remains And Architect Of Lies But The Last Album Is Awful Do You Agree
And I Want To Ask You : What Is The Album Of Disarmonia Mundi You Found Suck Did You Hear All The Albums ??
----
15.05.2012 - 18:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by SunFalcon on 15.05.2012 at 18:06
What Is The Album Of Disarmonia Mundi You Found Suck Did You Hear All The Albums ??

I've listened to all of their full-lengths and none of them managed to interest me. It doesn't help that Strid handled vocal duties for the majority of their releases and I very much dislike Soilwork as well...
----
15.05.2012 - 18:37
SunFalcon

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.05.2012 at 18:27

Written by SunFalcon on 15.05.2012 at 18:06
What Is The Album Of Disarmonia Mundi You Found Suck Did You Hear All The Albums ??

I've listened to all of their full-lengths and none of them managed to interest me. It doesn't help that Strid handled vocal duties for the majority of their releases and I very much dislike Soilwork as well...

I See...... I Find Soilwork Is A Normal Band That I Like Some Of Their Music For A While And Then Forget About It But Disarmonia Mundi Have Something Difference In The Riffs Of Guitar But Still You Are Right That Strid Shouldn't Handle The Vocal
----
17.05.2012 - 16:03
Mr. Blonde

Definitely DT. Very consistent throughout the years IMO.
15.06.2012 - 10:31
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I really enjoy both Dark Tranquility and Edge of Sanity, although i voted for the latter.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
20.06.2012 - 02:42
Necrox

Scar Symmetry for their amazing Holographic Universe album.
02.07.2012 - 19:04
yellowfellow

Personally, I love Soilwork's older stuff. The newer stuff's pretty weak. Disarmonia Mundi is also brilliant. DT is awesome aswell though.
17.07.2012 - 03:04
SunFalcon

Thats what im talking about scar symmetry and disarmonia mundi
----
29.07.2012 - 18:43
Marvel

As I know Disarmonia Mundi is an Italian band and not Swedish, right ?
06.05.2013 - 02:37
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
My choice is At The Gates. Slaughter of the Soul is a righteous album.
04.07.2014 - 13:25
Yossarian

I voted for "Darky Tranky" though all are great.